3. Douche
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Nonbinary
  3. Transgender
  4. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
Fantasy, romance, slice of life, anti-hero stories, "you're our only hope", fandom non-canons, soft scifi, transhumanism, magical girls, horror, suspense / mystery, detective noir, fractured fairytales
greenierpbanner.jpg

@Pahn & @Greenie
write about a smug city boy and a lost nekomata from another world. What could possibly go wrong?

• Love
Reactions: Greenie
Today was supposed to be ordinary and boring. Itsuki Mutsumi had the day off from work at the convenience store, and had been dragged to do more maintenance work on the shrine grounds. One of the toolsheds had a broken window (some brats threw a baseball through it) and they were in the middle of the rainy season, so it had to be fixed as soon as possible. So it was on a slightly sour mood that Itsuki made his way uphill to the shrine. His brow was already sweaty from the bicycle ride up the hill when he arrived, even though he was wearing his tracksuit. It was a perk though from working outside and at odd hours; he could wear his school tracksuit without a problem, and wear other equipment over it if necessary. He usually switched out his running shoes for steel-toed boots for security reasons though.

The young man caught a glimpse of his boss's daughter, the shrine maiden Sayori. She waved a timid hand at him before disappearing into the shrine, her long black hair flowing gently with the breeze. A light blush creeped on Itsuki's cheeks before he could prevent it, and he turned around angry with himself. The girl was still in high school, and she was way too young. But she's so cute... The boy shook his head - since when did he like cute girls?! He had no time for such nonsense. Still a little annoyed with himself, Itsuki turned around and fished out his phone to text his younger brother.

Hey Keiichi~
Working on the shrine grounds, might be out a while. There's leftover beef stew in the fridge. Remember to do your homework, ok?
Love, your brother

Once that was out of the way, Itsuki made for the toolshed with the broken window. Thankfully, the priest had already ordered a new window glass and it was sitting inside the shed, waiting for him. He put on his work boots and his gloves, then slipped in his earbuds to listen to some music while he worked. He didn't always do this, but sometimes it helped him to not get distracted. With Sayori around the grounds today, he definitely needed to focus harder on doing his job. The work itself wasn't difficult, but it required a lot of attention to details and a careful handling of the heavy glass. He started by removing the old one, breaking off the pieces and taking down the window frame. Then he used some sealing glue to secure the glass in place, and took a short break while it dried.

He had made rice balls the night before, and he devoured those in just a few minutes before heading back towards the bottom of the stairs of the shrine grounds to get a coffee can in the vending machine. Just as the coins dropped in the machine, someone poked his arm lightly. Startled and pulling out his earbuds instantly, Itsuki turned around with a frown only to look down at Sayori.

"Hey-yo, Mutsumi-senpai." The girl smiled warmly at him, though there was a small sparkle of amusement in her eyes.

"Sa... Ikie-san. I didn't notice you." Itsuki cleared his throat and pressed the button for the coffee can.

"Silly, you can call me Sayori. Everyone does. Also, sorry I scared you!" Her grin clearly indicated she was not sorry at all.

The boy nodded and flashed her a small smile, grabbing his drink and taking a few steps away from the vending machine. "All right, Sayori-chan. You didn't scare me, I was just listening to music. Busy day for you?"

Sayori Ikie nodded thoughtfully, her lips almost pouting, before dropping some coins in the vending machine as well. Unlike Itsuki, she chose an oolong tea drink. "Yeah, somewhat. We're not in a festival season yet, but there are a lot of older people visiting these days. It feels nice for them to have someone to talk to, you know?"

"I suppose." Itsuki looked at the time on his phone and cleared his throat, finishing his coffee in just a few sips. "Sorry Sayori-chan, I have to get back to work. I'll see you later!"

They waved goodbye and Itsuki jogged back up the stairs, his lungs protesting at the sudden strain, but he didn't stop until he was back at the top and almost back at the toolshed. That was a close one... Close to what?! Groaning, Itsuki ruffled his hair, annoyed with himself. His earbuds back in and forcing himself to focus on the music and the rest of his work, he put his gloves back on and placed the frame back on the window.

It was almost the end of the day when he finished everything he had been assigned. Out of nowhere, a low breeze sent a shiver down his spine, giving him goosebumps all over the back of his neck. He pulled out the earbuds, wondering if he had just imagined the breeze and if instead it was just the feeling of being watched. But there was no one around, even the lights in the shrine were out, meaning Sayori had gone home already. Creeped out, Itsuki began picking up the tools he had used and swept the floor for good measure, making sure there weren't any glass shard residue. Once again a breeze coming from the back of the shed startled him, and this time he found the source: the wardrobe he had repaired a couple weeks ago had one door swinging slowly, as though a gust of wind was coming out from inside of it.

"How the... What?" Itsuki mumbled to himself before dropping the broom against the wall. Curiosity taking over logic, he stalked towards the wardrobe and pulled the door open. He knew what should have been in there, he had put it in himself. Yet, the wardrobe was completely empty save for some kind of tapestry he hadn't noticed before on the back of it. His hand raised to touch it, but to his astonishment it wasn't hard. The back of the wardrobe was simply gone. Instead, his hand pushed the tapestry like it was a curtain, and on the other side he could hear the rustling of leaves. It was took dark to see, and with the sun setting there wasn't enough light to make out anything. Taken by a sudden impulse he couldn't explain, Itsuki stepped in the wardrobe and walked past the tapestry.

What followed was nothing Itsuki had ever experienced. It was like he had walked right into a tight corridor, the sides threatening to crush him, yet he could move his arms freely. The impulse to run took over and the boy ran and ran and ran until he was out of breath. Something tripped him, and closing his eyes tightly he stumbled forward and fell flat on... grass.

• Bucket of Rainbows
The sound of crackling fire and sizzling meat could easily be heard through the once calm and tranquil human village, the smell of burning wood and flesh permeating the air. Thankfully the only destruction were a dozen or so huts and most of all the now dead twenty feet tall one three eyed rat youkai who was splayed face down and rather dead on the village meeting hall. Slowly and very cautiously men edged forward, hands shaking as they held various tools of farming before them, just in case the beast was still alive. As if to prove it wasn't, a rather small cat- nay a kitten- raced forward, tails swishing back and forth as it pounced on the rat youkai's still twitching tail, kicking it at it with its back paws. It would have been an adorable and giggle inducing sight if the villagers hadn't previously seen said kitten in a much larger form, surrounded by fire as it flew through the sky, attacking the demon with blade-like claws.

"Are... is... is it dead now?" The not so brave leader of the village stepped a little closer to the dead demon, looking as if he wished he was anywhere else.

The kitten paused in its kicking, ears slanting in the direction of the voice. It was a moment before it finally unwrapped its little front legs from around the tail and moved back, looking up at the leader with wide and seemingly innocent green eyes. The act was lost when the little kitten was surrounded by pink flames. A cry erupted from a few bystanders, cut short when the fire ceased and revealed a young woman. She looked for the most part like a normal human, though up on her head were two cat ears and behind her were two long and fluffy black tails, the tips of which twitched slightly. Her eyes remained catlike as well, the innocence from before replaced with something different, something intimidating.

"It is very dead," she stated, kicking at the youkai. Her eyes remained on the leader, observing him. "Just as I promised. And so, it's time for you to fulfill your end of the bargain." The naginata she was holding changed before his very eyes, shrinking into a small blade that fit the scabbard at her waist.

The leaded of the village looked both scared and indignant. "My- the houses! They weren't to be destroyed! You- you made a bigger mess than before!"

The nekomata raised an eyebrow. "You would rather have had more dead people?"

"N-no! Of course not! But I need all the money I can now! My people will have to buy material to rebuild, not only that-" He grabbed at his already sparse hair. "Food! The storage house has been burned down!"

"From where I'm standing, I see plenty of food." The two-tail prodded the dead youkai with her foot once more. "This is good meat, more than enough for a couple of months. As for the huts, well, you could hardly expect me to exorcise it like a monk." Her eyes narrowed, daring the man to further question her. "I use my own method, force. You knew that when you hired me..."

Her voice trailed as her eyes caught sight of a young boy who had peeked from behind his mother. An unwanted memory sprung forth in her mind, causing her to stop speaking altogether. She momentarily closed her eyes before speaking once more. "Fine, you can keep the gold. I have no need or want of it."

ug2HljO.gif

As the day progressed, the nekomata known as Naoki was beginning to regret her choice of not going after the money. While she could very well shift into her cat forms and enjoy any sort of platform as a bed, there was something nice about sleeping on a comfy futon underneath a roof that stopped the raindrops from dripping all over her. And of course there was the perk of warm food that she didn't have to cook for herself. It was true that she could hunt and eat as many rats and insects as she wanted, but a bowl of rice and fish never went amiss.

A sigh escaped her lips as she paused in the dust ridden road between fields, looking up at the sky. It had been a cloudy day already, but now they seemed to be thickening and darkening. The chances of rainfall were increasing and this further darkened her mood. She glared at the sky momentarily before stalking forward, shoulders hunched as she barely restrained herself from grumbling like an old human being. If only she hadn't seen that child. Children had always been a soft spot of hers, even in her wilder days. There was something in their eyes, innocence and helplessness. Or perhaps that was all a stupid excuse and she was just truly weak and unable to sort her own feelings-

Her ears flattened as she heard thunder in the distance. "You stay far away," she muttered in the direction of the sound. Her tails were bristled, double their size and almost touching the ground as she quickened her pace, heading in a direction well known to her. Kuromori, as her destination was named, was a small forest that wasn't particularly dark or dreary, even if the name implied it to be. It was however uncomfortable, at least for human beings and those who weren't attuned with magic, dark or otherwise. The forest was said to swallow those who visited it, or perhaps the tale was of a youkai that ate any living being. Naoki in particular loved the story of a fire-cat that burned anyone who came before it; that was a lie she had propagated herself. Whether the other stories were true or not didn't matter to her. Even youkai kept away from Kuromori, making this the perfect place for her to relax, despite occasionally being splashed by unwanted rain.

The sight of the trees caused her expression soften; her ears perked up as did her tails. Perhaps she would find her favourite tree hollow and curl up for a small nap. If she was lucky enough a bird may wander a little too close and she would have a sufficient dinner. If not that, then there was a stream not too far away, home to small fish and the occasional snake or frog. I should have taken some of the rat youkai's meat for myself... The thought left just as quickly as it came, eyes narrowing as she caught the scent of... a human. Once more her tails bristled, ears flattening against her hair as she slowly sneaked forward. The scent was not only human but carried with it a distinct flavour; the person either possessed spiritual power or had recently been in a place laden by the former Either way, it was probably best to get rid of them as quickly as possible.

Pulling her wakishashi from its sheath, Naoki hurried forward... and came to an abrupt stop. There was the human, a very strangely dressed one, flat on his face. But more than that, from beyond the trees came another scent, one that promised trouble.

It seemed someone else had caught the scent of this newcomer.​

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Pahn
The grass felt oldly soft and the earth underneath it cushiony. Itsuki didn't remember the ground feeling like this around the shed he was working in, but then something else caught his attention. While the shrine was situated a bit away from the center of the city, there was still that distinctive smell of cars and concrete that permeated the air everywhere. Those familiar smells were not present anymore. Instead, the grass smelled sweet and when he groaned as he pushed himself onto his back, the air felt pure. It tickled something inside him and a sudden peace filled him, not much different than the feeling of finally arriving home after a long trip away. This was decidedly odd. Finally opening his eyes and spitting out a few errant blades of grass from his mouth, Itsuki realized he was looking up at a bright blue sky.

"Where am I?" The boy's head still felt like it was spinning and being assaulted with new smells and visions was definitely not helping. Taking a deep breath, Itsuki sat up and brought his hands to his face, rubbing the bridge of his nose. Calm down, you just hit your head, he thought to himself. He couldn't be anywhere else but the shrine grounds, right? A quick look down confirmed him he was still wearing his sweatpants and P.E. T-shirt. The zipper of his jacket was down like it had been a few minutes ago. He just hadn't realized how blue the sky had been today...

Crack.

Itsuki gasped and lifted his head abruptly. Surrounding him were trees, trunks thick and leaves colourful, making it impossible to deny any longer that he was no longer home. Where the hell was he?! There was a flash of something in the corner of his eye, making him jump to his feet and nearly trip on a dead branch. "Who's there?" The young man's voice was strained with anxiety. Cold sweat was dripping down the back of his neck and he couldn't quite shake that feeling that he was not alone in these mysterious woods.

• Love
Though his voice was unfamiliar and even the way he spoke was different, Naoki could still understand the man. If it was any normal looking person, she may have simply walked off and let them befall whatever fate came to them. Perhaps it was the clothes, or maybe it was the scent, or simply put her damned curiosity. In any case she stepped passed the trees and into the clearing, making herself known, if not by voice than in person.

To someone used to the popular clothing of this time, Naoki was still an oddball when it came to dressing, preferring a short male yukata for the movement it allowed as opposed to a female one. Still, it probably wasn't her strange clothing Itsuki would notice first, but the two tails swishing impatiently behind her, or the twitching cat ears atop her head, picking up sounds from all around her. Or maybe the green cat-like irises of her eyes, or the three black triangular marks on either side of her face.

Bluntly put, Naoki was certainly not normal looking and she very much doubted her appearance would appease the human male's anxiety. Sighing inwardly at the impending fiasco, she decided to break her silence.

"I'm the one you heard, human." She stood in as much of a non threatening manner as she could muster. Her height was considerably less than the human's, but it wasn't size she was worried about, rather her tails and ears which were as usual out of her control, showing her feelings where her face remained somewhat neutral. "This is not exactly a safe place for you." Her nose twitched as she took a step closer. This person looked nothing like a monk, but there scent of spiritual power seemed to be coming from him nonetheless. "Why are you here of all-"

The sound of rumbling clouds halted her words; ears flattening, she turned the slightest bit, recognizing the second scent she had picked up. Nothing too difficult to handle, but pesky all the same. "I should have expected one to come along," she muttered before looking to the human once more. "I hope you aren't the sort to be scared of youkai, because there will probably be another one here soon." A drop of water fell on her nose, which she instantly wriggled with distaste. "Ame onna... tch."

• Love
Once Itsuki's eyes fell on the creature creeping out from the trees, he was convinced he was dreaming. How could he not, when something like a Nekomata just appeared out of nowhere and told him it wasn't safe? He couldn't help staring at her two tails, the twitching ears, the piercing feline eyes. It was hypnotic, and he felt as though he could just look at the Nekomata all day. There was a strange urge from within, he couldn't point out exactly where, but it was as though his soul was screaming out at him about something... Something... Youkai?

"Youkai? Where?" Itsuki whispered and took a step back, and as he said the words out loud, the little voice from within made him look at the Nekomata. Trying to recall what he knew of legends and folk tales, something about Nekomatas stood out finally: they were part human, part youkai. She was the youkai? Why would she warn him about her like this, wouldn't she just jump at his throat and drink his blood?

All of a sudden, the sky was covered in dark grey clouds, and rain started pouring. It was cold and refreshing - it was the warm season after all - and it wasn't like any kind of rain Itsuki had experienced before. It felt so purifying. He looked up and leaned his head back, letting the downpour wash over him as he took deep breaths. It's going to be okay. Itsuki wasn't sure if that was the same odd voice from within or his own, but he felt calmer. A little bit.

"I don't know who you are and I don't know what's going on, Nekomata, but if there's another youkai coming... I'm not sure I want to be here!" He yelled at the female youkai, his voice carrying over through the sound of the rain. He wasn't about to become lunch for some other more frightening youkai.

Naoki's ears twitched though for the most part they remained flattened against her head, keeping away the pesky drops of water. "She normally goes after children," she muttered, green eyes flitting to and then away from Itsuki, looking in the distance. "However... it's day so there's no point in her coming her unless she's after you..."

Why would an ame onna be after a human male though? Perhaps it was the same thing that Naoki had felt? There was something different about this person, something that was more than just his scent being different from the humans here. Some youkai quite liked consuming those with spiritual power if only to make themselves seem more terrifying than they actually were. Most ame-onna were harmless enough, but if this one was more corrupt than usual... it already seemed strange in Naoki's woman that the other youkai was wandering their way when night was still for a while yet.

The pouring rain also indicated to her that running away was pretty much a futile task at this moment. "She's near us already. Something tells me you aren't familiar with these woods; if you run off, you're likely to get lost or slip and fall." Her eyes moved to look at his footwear; they seemed completely unreliable. "Best to simply stay close and behind me. Ame-onna are pests but I should be able to get rid of her easily enough."

Why did she feel an incessant pull to keep him safe? Naoki grumbled at herself in her mind before standing straight, pulling her wakizashi from its scabbard. There was a light pink glow surrounding it before it seemed to shift forms completely, changing into a double-sided naginata. The nekomata didn't actually think she'd need to use her weapon, but it was always better to be over prepared than not at all.

It was mere moments when the ame-onna appeared through the trees, slowly making her way to the duo. She didn't look too intimidating, truth be told, rather just like a bedraggled and haggard woman carrying a large sack. She paused when she noticed the nekomata, though didn't seem fazed, raising a hand and licking the water from it.

"Move aside cat, I'm here for the human, I found him first."

• Love
The boy was about to tell the Nekomata that he didn't need her to protect him when the youkai she had mentioned appeared on the edge of the trees. It looked like those illustrations Itsuki had seen in the temple, ugly and old. His gaze tore away from the youkai to the Nekomata's sword and he took a step back, eyes wide and heart beating faster. What in the world was going on here?!

"Found me first? What are you planning to do, eat me? Like hell!" Itsuki turned around and started hitting his fists on the trunk of the tree he had just fallen from. Some kind of portal? Why was it closed now? He had to escape, he didn't belong here in this... this...

The Nekomata's earlier words came back to him and he turned back again, pressing himself against the tree. He really wasn't home anymore and he had a feeling two two youkais were not the worst ones! Ame-onna, she had called it. He had read about them, but he couldn't remember anything useful about them right this instant.

Just as he lowered his eyes to the ground, panic quietly storming in his chest, the ame-onna glided forward without a look at the Nekomata. Her wide, bloody grin gave her a wild look and her black eyes seemed to suck in Itsuki's energy. "No... no!"

With a groan he shielded his eyes and presented his palm, two fingers upright while the others were folded, and he murmurred a small prayer of protection. "Leave me alone, you old hag! Go hunt someone else!" To his surprise, his hand glowed a soft light, causing the ame-onna to stop dead in her tracks.

"Nani?! What is this strength I sense in him... Delicious, delicious!" The ame-onna's wide mouth opened and she started towards Itsuki again, seemingly forgetting entirely about the Nekomata with the glowing sword.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Naoki's eyes widened, her eyes shifting from the ame-onna, catching the sight of the soft glow emenating from the male's hand. Spiritual energy? So he did have something more about his than was apparent. She had simply thought he had come in contact with a shrine or temple, but clearly she had been wrong. Whatever it was, however, Naoki didn't wish to be on the wrong side of it, if it was an attack.

Her ears twitched; her gaze returned to the ame-onna, who seemed to be oblivious to her. Good. A part of the nekomata wanted this confrontation to simply continue without her interference; it would be interesting to see how powerful this male was. However, there was always the chance that he was too weak and unprepared with whatever he had muttered - a prayer? a spell?- and would fail in taking on the youkai.

The pink glow surrounding her sword expanded lengthwise in both direction, taking the shape of a long pole weapon. When it finally subsided, Naoki's wakizashi was now in the shape of a naginata, with two curves blades at each end, wickedly sharp and meant for serious business.

"Where do you think you're going?" She spun around, naginata lifting in the air before she slammed it down just inches above the grass, creating an obstruction between the ame-onna and the human male. Without warning the entirety of the naginata was now covered in small dancing flames- though they didn't look like much, the heat from them caused the rain to evaporate even before it touched the fire.

Green eyes stared at the ame-onna, a tinge of red slowly growing in them. Naoki grinned, the wild youkai blood coursing through her veins causing her smile to look a little feral. "This human's not for your consumption. Know your place, you filthy half-rate youkai. Night is when you're expected, no one wishes to see your ugly face during the day."

She shifted her naginata, bringing the blade closer to the ame-onna. "Get lost unless you wish to burn!"

• Love
What is this?! What's happening? Despite the look of confusion on Itsuki's face, a fierce determination filled him and he continued to whisper the prayer of protection. Slowly but steadily, a shield began wrapping around him until he was completely covered, like he was in a bubble of light and warmth. The boy pushed away the screaming little voice in his head that was panicking about the whole situation, and he continued to focus. "Leave me alone, dirty old hag! Return to whence you came!"

The ame-onna twitched and hissed, and for a moment it looked like it was about to jump on the Nekomata. It took a few menacing steps towards her and while Itsuki couldn't quite see what was happening, the ame-onna yelped in pain and in anger. A moment later, one of its limbs was burning in a bright and intense fire. Itsuki's eyes widened and he almost took a step back but his legs felt like cement in the ground. What would happen to the bubble of protection if he moved? He didn't want to find out, so he remained where he was and ground his teeth, hoping the Nekomata would not be using this sword against him.

"ARGHHHHH, YOU HALF PIECE OF SHIT DEMON, I WILL BE BACK! THIS HUMAN IS MINE!" The ame-onna bellowed so loud it shook the ground and with a blink it was gone. All that was left was a smokey trail from its burned limb and the smell of charred, rotten flesh filling the air.

The Nekomata's weapon was something out of this world - my world, Itsuki corrected mentally - and he had not noticed it on the woman before the ame-onna had appeared. Was this some kind of magic? Like the... the prayer of protection that had manifested itself physically? Something was certainly wrong and he was most definitely in the wrong world.

"Uhhh, so how does this thing turn off?" Itsuki closed his palm and the light bubble remained for an additional minute before slowly fading away. A sudden exhaustion washed over him and he struggled to remain up on his feet. Instead he leaned against the tree he had stumbled out of, his breath shaky and shallow as sweat covered his forehead. "What is going on? Answer me, Nekomata!" While his tone was abrasive, there was a clear hint of fear in his voice and in the corner of his eyes.

• Love
The smile on Naoki's face shifted to a grin, hearing the pain and rage in the ame-onna's voice as she was insulted. "Arara... I did tell you to get lost unless you wished to be burned." The smell that reached her nose was putrid, but it did nothing to wane the small sense of victory. The ame-onna was gone and had been defeated by her.

It took less that an instant for the naginata to shift back to its wakizashi form. As Naoki sheathed the blade, she caught sight of human, or rather, the light that was encasing him. Cautiously she stepped back, feeling a prickling on her skin, as if she was about to be stung. Thankfully it slowly faded away, but that didn't seem to do anything for the male's temper. She couldn't blame him for that though, the fear coming off him easy to catch with her sharp nose.

"It's spiritual power," she finally answered, taking a step forward now that any remnant of it was gone. "And that's probably why that ame-onna wanted you. She won't be back anytime soon though." His second question was a little too vague for her, however. "I'm unsure what you're trying to say. What's going on? It's plain before you, but I'm suspecting you mean something else."

It wasn't as if she wasn't curious about where this male with a distinctly different scent had come from, but there was nothing she could come up with on the fly that made sense. "All I know is that this forest, Kuromori, is know to have strange things happen within, especially for humans. You for one are strange. I have never seen someone with clothes such as yours, or shoes like yours, not even the most powerful youkai."

She crossed her arms over her chest, clawed fingers tapping against her arms before she spoke again. "How about we start with something easier. I am Naoki, and would prefer being called that over Nekomata. What is your name?"

• Love
The boy looked over the nekomata and furrowed his brow, debating if he should tell this creature his name or not. She had just tried to save him, and she most likely had answers to his questions. Well, once he could formulate more proper ones, he hoped she did. "I'm Itsuki. You're saying this forest is Kuromori?" Of course he knew of that forest - that was where the temple he worked at was built. But there was no temple in sight.

"I stumbled here through that... tree." Itsuki looked at the tree behind him and wondered if the nekomata would believe him. He barely even believed it himself and yet he had experienced it. "I'm just a student and I work part-time at the temple that should be here. I heard of the old stories of this forest, from old scripts and folk tales. It was said to be filled with Youkai."

Well, this much he knew was true. The youkai they had just encountered surely wouldn't be the last, and if he was to believe both the ame-onna and the nekomata, he was not safe here. "I've never had this blue light thing happen before. Is there magic in this world?" Itsuki almost laughed at his own question. In fact there was a deeply amused and sarcastic tone to his words - had he already accepted that he was in another world? It wasn't like he had much of a choice... They would get more done if he simply accepted that he wasn't home, and to focus on going back. He couldn't let his little brother all alone, he had to cook him supper and help him with his homework.

"So about those spiritual powers... I guess they work with prayers? Can they bring me back home? Sorry for all the questions, Naoki-san, but you have to understand that I am very far away from home and I must go back."

• Sweet
"Yes," Naoki replied patiently, "this forest is indeed Kuromori." It was easy to tell he was trying to hold on to whatever sanity he could, and she wasn't so unkind as to snatch that away from him. However... coming here through a tree? That sounded a little far fetched even for someone like her, but then again, what reason did he have to lie? He could have always said he was from a nearby village and left. No human who wished to remain alive and well would choose to remain in this forest, yet here he stood, awaiting answers.​
"I've seen the sort of power you've shown," she finally commented, deciding to now longer think about whether he had truly popped into the forest through a tree trunk or not. "You say you worked at a temple- well, that could very well be where you have been tain-" She stopped herself before completed the word, opting for another one "-blessed by whatever spiritual power you used against the ame-onna. I have very little resistance to it myself, if I'm being honest, but it should not be as painful for me as for her." Her time in the pseudo human body, however long ago that was, had an inkling of positivity apparently; she had found herself not as affected by holy objects or the presence of spiritual beings as much as other youkai.​
Or perhaps she was simply that powerful a youkai. She knew certain egocentric youkai who thought the same of themselves, but she wasn't the vain sort.​
"I do not know much more about your powers." Her neutral expression softened as she heard him apologize for his questions. Home... she certainly knew the feeling of being forced away from the place she once loved. "However, there's no need to despair. Come along." With that said, she beckoned her hand and turned, starting for the forest's edge rather than heading deeper inside. "I know of a village not too far away. It is home to a small shrine which a priestess takes care of. I am willing to say she may be able to help you."

• Sweet