That ravenous monster --p.

• Thread starter ᎵꂅᏒ꒝Ꭹ. (sick)
  • Start date
His request was odd, but Ayanna was at a loss for words. Any sane elf would say no, too noble to risk saying yes to such a sinful act. Even if the royal was evil, it wouldn't matter. However, Ayanna was stuck here imagining the luxuries of life without her brother. How wonderful it would've been without him before hand. They had such a brutal history together.

An example of Eric's madness; Ayanna was eight years old at the time, and not as thick headed. Cruel words got to her more easily, and she was even more naive. Eric was deranged already at a young age, and hated her from the moment he could express himself with words. He used his clever tongue to tear Ayanna apart. One day, it got to her bad, and she stood on her balcony, hands rapped tightly around the railing. She was so tempted to jump over. So close to nearly standing on the edge and just falling to her doom.

However, her servant caught her in the act of trying to do this. The moment she stood freely, arms wrapped tightly around her fragile body, pulling her down from the railing.

Since then, she's learned, grew, but continued to hope there'd be a change of heart within that man. That terrifying brother of hers who has only ever smiled when blood was painted on his hands.

She shook her head though, grabbing his hand again. "No. Not yet at least." Those last few words were a whisper. She was too ashamed to confess this, but she would be okay if doom were to hit her brother at this very moment. He'd caused so much havoc in her life, his death would be the most blissful thing to watch.

Ayanna tugged him along, pulling him through the hallways again. Even if he gripped her hand tightly, restricting her from running away. She felt safer with this cruel entity then roaming alone. This meant she had protection, for now at least. Who knows, Skaldreg might team up with her brother to tear her sanity down?

"So, why were you locked away....like that? Isn't it kinda cruel to have a sword stabbed through you...and also, what was it like back then? Before you were trapped for so long. Did you have a family, life, loved ones. Was the empire run much differently? Was the deepest parts of the palace brighter than they are now?" She was curious about their history. Books could only tell so much.

Reactions: Peregrine
As Ayanna stalled, seemingly lost in thought at Skaldreg's proposal, the spirit continued to stare at Eric. His pitch black eyes held the other man spellbound, trapped in Skaldreg's will. The crazy people were always like that. They thought themselves invulnerable, perfectly in control, but the moment they were confronted by the temptations of real darkness, they'd fall in a heartbeat.

Boring.

The instant Eric was bound up in Skaldreg's eyes, he lost all interest in the elf as anything other than a good snack. Even that desire lessened slightly. No matter how beautiful a dish might look or smell, knowing it was made from ingredients that came out of a garbage pile would always make it less appealing.

Instead, his eyes turned back to Ayanna, one hand reaching up to tease at one of her golden curls. He didn't like the way she was looking at her brother. It was obvious how much of an influence the man held over her. There was no reason for her to look at anyone other than Skaldreg himself like that.

All it would take was one, quick bite, and he'd be gone…

"As you wish, Your Majesty," Skaldreg replied, voice a slight sigh at Ayanna's refusal. However, that didn't stop him from leering briefly at Eric once more, as Ayanna took his hand back in her own. You see? his eyes said. Mine.

Locked in place by Skaldreg, Eric had no choice but to let them walk away.

Ayanna pulled him forward, winding them deeper into the palace, even as she twittered questions at him like the chirping of a bird. Skaldreg laughed. "Cruel? Of course it was cruel. They feared me, you know." There was always pride in his voice, born from a vicious self-confidence that even thousands of years sealed away couldn't destroy. However, now there was a trace of arrogance in his voice. Skaldreg was boasting. "Feared my strength. My power. And when they couldn't control me, they decided to try and get rid of me. But they couldn't do that either. So they were left with a silly, cruel, sealing."

He laughed, lifting a free hand to briefly stroke the top of Ayanna's head. "And I'm sure things have changed. As much as you elves might love tradition, the rules set by your spirits and your dragons, you can't halt progress. But I can't know what's changed when I haven't seen what the world is like now, hmmmm?" He leaned in closer, whispering into her ear like a lover. "You'll have to show me."

Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 12.13.27 AM.png
What a devil he was. As he bloated about how her ancestors feared him, shivered in their boots at the sight of the great Skaldreg. All she could do was think about how much of a devil he was. If not the devil, even worse than Lucifer. Ayanna didn't bite her tongue, speaking her opinion on his words. "Well then, it seems maybe it wasn't such a cruel jester to do then...Huh? If you were feared, and deemed a monster that could bring an end to elves, and other creatures a like...Isn't it reasonable for them to lock you away?"Ayanna asked before sighing softly. "Though, I feel like there could be more to you than you even know. Just gotta find it somewhere in that black and hollow heart of yours." She whispered to herself before tugging at him once they reached the surface of the palace. Looking at the grand stares, she questioned if she should bring him around the palace, or release him to the world? Let him see how much it as really changed. "I will show you the world I love...so dearly to me." Her words grew dark for a second there, causing her to come to a halt. This world she loved so dearly huh? The world that brought her a monster in the form of a brother. A burden that continued to stalk her in the shadows. Taunt her at any silly little mistake. The world works in funny ways, honestly. Ayanna let out another heavy breath though, smiling up at Skaldreg before opening the door to the world. It was a bright, oddly sunny day. There was a slight breeze that brushed through the leaves, causing them to rustle in the silence of the front palace. She hated how quiet it was here, too creepy and unwelcoming. "Don't worry. All the noise comes from the city!" She giggled a bit before beginning to run along like a child, excited to show Skaldreg around. It didn't take long at all to reach the city. The city did surround the palace after all, and following the stone path down to a iron gate guarded by knights only took 2 minutes to reach. Upon reaching the gate, it would dawn upon the guards how this fellow got in the palace when he never came in? Who was he? Where did he come from? Though, the knights bit down on their tongues, only nodding to the princess. She rushed out, and the further they went down hill, chatter filled the air.

She was taking him outside? Skaldreg almost laughed out loud at the notion. How trusting this little princess was, to willingly walk a wolf into her flock of sheep. Fortunately for her, Skaldreg wasn't normally the type to get his own hands dirty. No, he was the kind to lead others close to the edge, give them one, final shove, and then sit back and watch the chaos unfold.

For the sake of Ayanna, or, perhaps more accurately, for the sake of the bloody tyranny her future represented, Skaldreg would hold himself in check. He couldn't make a Queen if her empire fell out from under her, and who knew how close to the edge his little princess of sunlight already sat? He'd tasted her fear of her brother. Soon enough, he'd dig out any other darkness she'd buried under her veil of innocence.

Of course, holding himself in check didn't mean he wouldn't act if a perfect opportunity presented itself. Who knew what delicious dishes were waiting for him outside the palace? He'd already found one tasty appetizer waiting for him within the palace, after all.

Skaldreg strolled out of the palace behind Ayanna, blackened sclera, sharpened horns, and pointed shark's teeth proudly on display. The guards flinched when they made eye contact with him, quickly looking away and trying to suppress the shiver that ran up their back. They were good men, loyal knights who served the royal family honorably. However, that very same honor kept them from acting now. Even though they could clearly sense the darkness, chaos, and madness that surged within Skaldreg like a tide, Ayanna's presence kept them from acting against him. All they could do was nod.

As they walked away, the two guards broke procedure to glance after Ayanna and Skaldreg. However, what awaited them was the sight of Skaldreg's head, seemingly turned impossibly far on his own neck, pointed teeth leering at them in a vicious smile. The guards flinched away once more. Skaldreg wondered how long it would take for a report of his existence to reach the King.

The palace of the elven kings loomed over the forest city, surrounded on all sides by the capital city of the elves. They'd truly set up a location worthy of royalty, with a bustling city to support the luxuries of the nobility. The further they went down the hill, the more Skaldreg was able to sense the presence of people. Elves filled the city nearly to bursting, skittering about to complete their tiny, daily lives.

"So these are your subjects?" Skaldreg asked, a trace of a genuine smile flickering across his thin lips. Even from here he could tell that they were wealthy, the majority living a luxurious life from the efforts of their king. Before Skaldreg had been sealed, they had not been so wealthy. Their construction had not flourished so, their clothing and accessories had not been so luxurious. The elves had clearly flourished in the millennia he'd been gone, seeming hardly pressured by humanity. Their success didn't bother Skaldreg in the least. As a matter of fact, it pleased him greatly. It was a fine foundation, and when it came time, the plump city would be ripe for the squeezing. "Tell me what it is that you love so much about them."

5ceb30883926cbc0487c7794d73c59a3.png
It was but a sin to question the royals, yet the commoner's eyes were lingering alright. From pointed, sharp horns, to sickly shark teeth, and a wicked smile to kill a beast. This thing. This...Skaldreg was anything but normal in the eyes of most elves. MOST. Ayanna grew up within the walls for the first few years of her life, restricted to only the court room, library, ballroom, and her room. The princess couldn't pick a sore thumb out unless it was her brother. So, what makes is possible for her to truly know the intent of this creature? Yes, she could smell the horrid stench of sin, but excused it for this creatures aura. Maybe it was a wall. A wall to protect the fragile flower blooming underneath. Maybe with a bit of encouragement, this ravenous monster could be something better. If she could, maybe Ayanna could escape the bond she'd cursed upon herself with this leech and claim freedom once and for all. Freedom had been her motivation to become empress in the first place. She wouldn't be restricted to her fathers words, which once spoken, are law. Or the cursed brother who roamed every corner she turned, possibly with a bow in hand, string drawn back, ready to let fingers ease off the string and let a bow pierce the princess' heart. The wicked home she lived in wouldn't be so wicked if she became an empress.

too bad that'd be cut short.

Ayanna was proud to show her subjects. Even the commoners had lavish life-styles, and elegant features. Everything looked...how should I put it, so clean in this peaceful kingdom. Like it'd never been touched by satan himself. At least, not in a long time. Gods glory and grace had blessed this emerald kingdom for so long, but it was to burn to the ground sooner or later.

The elves ears flickers at his question, leaving her out of words. What did she truly love about them. Of course she loved her people, the economic structure they had, buildings, creativity her people expressed....but she had to. She'd been raised to love everything about her kingdom. She had to love it since one day, it'd be all hers, and in her care. Of course she loved those obvious things, but the princess tried to dig a little deeper. What did she truly admire, what brought her the best form of happiness?

Rusted gears began to turn in her head. Flashbacks of her childhood lead Ayanna to one thing. And it would be an unexpected thing to love so much. Turning to Skaldreg with a faint smile, she grabbed his hand once again, lacing her fingers with his icy hands before taking off. Dragging him through stoned paths, alleyways, and market places, Ayanna ended up near the west outskirts of town shortly. What would be revealed was a vast landscape of grass, limited trees around. It was beautiful, honestly, but this wasn't the thing she admired so much.

Pushing onwards, Ayanna ran through the tall grass with Skaldreg until they made it further down the hill, leading into a more dense area of trees. Past the trees, and down past the flowing stream, they'd reach a small rose garden. She stopped, looking at it, and those memories came pouring in again.

Pink, white, blue, and red roses grew here. A farm of them hidden deep in this secluded area. Why? Well Ayanna was going to explain this.

"I love my people so much because they are understanding, loyal people. However, who wouldn't answer that if they were the soon-to-be ruler, hmm? Loving my people in every aspect is part of my job. From a young age, it was drilled into my head to love everything about my people, my kingdom, this life. But, I don't admire it like this small patch of nature that belongs to me. It's nirvana here, honestly. The one place I can come to...without people kissing up to me. It's a place my mother showed me when I was younger. She grew these roses since she loved them so much. She said it was selfish to love these flowers so much, more than her own people, but she just did. I love these roses more than my people, or what I love about my people."

Ayanna let go of Skaldregs hand, using it to scratch the back of her head. Then, she let out an awkward laugh. "Sorry I didn't answer your question. I know you said what I love about my people...but I knew I could give an even deeper, meaningful answer besides the obvious traits of my people. They are creative, loyal subjects. But, that isn't such a fun answer hmm...So, I decided to answer what I love most within this kingdom....because I honestly love this place the most." There came a rattling last sentence for Skaldreg to hold on to.

Her innocence, it was too cute. But, it would be the fall of her, and her entire kingdom.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sweet
They didn't enter the city itself, like Skaldreg had been expecting. Instead, passing through the wild land that separated the palace from the town proper, they veered away from the edge of the town, ducking into a thick, dark copse of trees.

The scent of roses started to fill the air long before the garden came into sight from among the trees. The garden had been formed in a natural clearing among the trees, but all of the towering trunks that surrounded it had been carefully sculpted as they grew to perfectly compliment the flourishing garden. As for the roses, they bloomed with abandon, large and heavy enough to slightly bend the stem that supported them. The bushes had been allowed to grow as they please, but it didn't create a sense of abandonment in the garden. Instead, it looked divine, as though the whole place had been touched by a goddess, natural and perfect. It was a magnificent proof of the elves' connection with nature.

Skaldreg allowed himself to be led into the garden, hands tucked in front of his waist. In truth, places like this disgusted the dark spirit. Peace and beauty were concepts that had nothing to do with him. To him, they were simply a waste of time and energy, something that would be far better spent in other places.

And yet, none of his distaste showed on his face. Instead, he listened to Ayanna speak. And as her words slowly unfurled like a blooming flower, a smile began to spread its way across Skaldreg's pale face.

As Ayanna finished speaking, the smile that had been spreading its way across Skaldreg's face like a growing crack finally burst open. Laughter poured out of him, fierce and unreserved. "A flower garden," he said, the words somehow managing to flow out smoothly around his uproarious laughter. "What you love most about your subjects is a flower garden, created by your empress mother, where you can go to get away from your people."

With a gasping breath, Skaldreg's laughter halted as abruptly as it had begun. But his shark-toothed smile hadn't faded at all. Even the blooming rose garden, so distasteful to him only moments before, now seemed precious to him.

"I love it."