3. Prestige
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
Fantasy, SciFi, Modern, Magical
-The Forgotten Holiday-

The middle child of holidays, no less quality for its having been minimized or overlooked, Thanksgiving Day in America often feels squeezed between Halloween and Christmas, two days that are, though indeed not originally intended to be, highly commercialized to the point of starting their respective "celebrations" a full two months early. Both are full of pomp and circumstance, loudly demanding their space and their time. Or at least, this is how modern American culture treats them. We use it as an excuse to shower friends and family with gifts, cast up seasonal decor about our houses, and we will spend many a greenback to do so.

These are by no means a bad thing. Halloween is one of my favorite holidays, in large part due to a love of the dark and twisted, and Christmas is a holy time of the year in which we celebrate the birth of Christ, the start of His incarnation leading to His death, burial, and resurrection. Indeed, we might see the first as a reflection of our own spiritual state that necessitated the second.

Somewhere in there, however, amidst the glamor of our celebration, the shining lights of ceremony, the noise of familial gathering, and the love of silly or seasonal aesthetic, we have forgotten to be thankful.

Even outside of America, most of the world's population lives in objective wealth and ease compared to centuries past. In the United States itself, we are wildly rich. Even the poorest among us nearly always has a cell phone, several sets of clothing, and can manage to feed themselves. Those of us who can, shower ourselves and our families with items and services we neither need nor that particularly make our lives easier. At no point has television been a necessity for life, by way of example, yet television is extremely prevalent in the US. And these are strictly material goods. Around us are friends and family, whether natural born or found, people who love us for being us, who would drop everything to help us in need, who actively seek to bless us, as we, hopefully, actively seek to bless them.

This is, perhaps, long winded and rambling. But I don't want you to forget why we have this holiday: be thankful for that which God has blessed you with, be it nothing more than air in your lungs, eyes to see creation, and ears to hear the music of God's nature. It ultimately does not come from you to yourself. As it is said, "The Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Lord."

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. I am thankful for each of you.

Happy thanksgiving to you too! I'm thankful for my friends, for my job, and for my wonderful cat. God bless you. I've been thinking about what I've been thankful for all week :)

• Thank You
Reactions: Red Thunder