Texas schools board rewrites US history

I wonder what George Orwell would say about such a thing.

O WAIT HE WROTE A WHOLE BOOK ABOUT IT.

Haha[...........................................................] haha[......].

Amen to that.

*Looks at W Bush's house with anger*

.... I REALLY DO HATE THAT!

USA's FOUNDING FATHERS WERE DEISTS! The CLOCKWORK RELIGION! God made the world to run on its own and left us to our own devices.

NOT CHRISTIAN!

*RAGE*

I'm not even RELIGIOUS!

Maybe she got mad that Scientology was stealing the spotlight of having crazy extremist members. Woman needed to 1UP Tom Cruise jumping on a couch I guess. And rewriting history for the sole purpose of furthering an agenda definitely falls into the category.

But it makes me wonder if she's the type who still believes Earth was created 6000 years ago like the bible says.

Yes, and dinosaurs were fabrications by the scientific community to prove God wrong.

I don't think TK was at all wrong when she pointed at good ol' W. He started this bullshit by the American Holy War in Iraq. That's right bitches, he did it cause GOD told him to. Now I can officially tell my wife that if she moves us to Texas (Which is a place she LOVES) I will divorce her and take the kids with me.

@Darkness: Freemasons RULE.

@Rory: LETS GO TO TEXAS.

@ WMD & GMK: GET YER GUNS, CAUSE WE'RE GOING TO HAVE SOME FUUUUUUUUUUUUN.

(This coming from a guy who wouldn't kill anybody...)

....In truth, I only bring that bastard's name up due to the fact that his current housing is only TWO BLOCKS from my old private school. Believe me no one in that school is happy about it, and one of my teachers got so pissed that he offered extra credit to anyone who could badger W into leaving that area.

....In truth, I only bring that bastard's name up due to the fact that his current housing is only TWO BLOCKS from my old private school. Believe me no one in that school is happy about it, and one of my teachers got so pissed that he offered extra credit to anyone who could badger W into leaving that area.

Ma'am, I'm going to have to ask you to leave the donut.

Wait, this isn't the Asylum...

Generalization of the past is what she believes in~

The biggest problem I have with fundamentalist Christians is that they take the Bible too literally and undermine the very culture that it originates from. You can only understand the ancient Hebrew Scripture by knowing more about the culture that produced it. It is not the tale of our (meaning Jewish) history from one specific point in time to another, the authors (yes there were more than one, dear lady) were focused on writing a narrative that could unite a peoples forced into the Diaspora.

The big thing is that one should read the Bible as it was read in the biblical period, independent of later religious norms and interpretive traditions. Understanding the Bible this way lets us appreciate it as an interesting text that speaks in multiple voices on profound issues. Unlike the Muslim Qur'an which is kept in Arabic, the same language that the Prophet Muhammad spoke, the Bible has been translated into thousands of different langauges. This is important because transliterations are not done well typically and are ambiguous toward the actual Hebrew spelling. Speaking out against this woman's bias, don't just slap the Christian scripture into the older Hebrew Bible. This is intellectual dishonesty and bias. Judaism and Christianity are not in continuum; they are mutually exclusive. :P

THIS IS TRUE! AYE!

*TACKLES RORY AND THEN SMOTHERS HIM WITH AWESOME*

The other thing she said that makes me Nerd Rage is casting the Israel-Arab conflict as being something based on Islamic fundamentalism. This is inaccurate, seeing as it all deals with a complex series of political moves and the British messing things up just to win the First World War against the Ottomans. Since ranting about this would require a long narrative, I'll just "correct" her POV on Islamist movements. Islamic fundamentalism started in the 1880s with the British occupation of Egypt, long before the idea of Israel even came about. In response to this, the Muslim Brotherhood was formed basing their entire campaign on teaching "true" religious faith because of 1500 years of abusive rule by political leaders. I am by no means an apologist to the crimes of Islamist movements but people like Osama bin Laden are no better than this woman in Texas. You are pushing your views on young people that don't have much of a choice as to where they go to school. Sure, they get an education but it is based on the beliefs of a radical and this breeds a seed of hatred that will only lead to a world of hurt. Comparing either of these people to being religious, would be like calling Hitler a Christian.

This is why I hate that Texas makes the textbooks.

Seriously. WHO THE HELL DECIDED ON THAT?!

LET'S LET THE BIBLE BELT STATE MAKE OUR HISTORY! THEY WON'T BUGGER IT AT ALL, NOPE!

wasn't hitler raised a catholic?

Hitler was raised Catholic but by the time of the First World War, he had become atheist.

This is why I hate that Texas makes the textbooks.

Seriously. WHO THE HELL DECIDED ON THAT?!

LET'S LET THE BIBLE BELT STATE MAKE OUR HISTORY! THEY WON'T BUGGER IT AT ALL, NOPE!

I think in the article it said something about because of how many textbooks Texas orders that when it changes, it causes every other state's textbooks to change. Something like that. Which makes ' business ' sense to the textbook companies since Texas is their supposedly largest customer. So while I don't AGREE with something this important being handled that way I do GET why it has come to this type of situation.

But it makes horrible educational sense since it subjects an entire generation's initial understanding of history to one state's idea of how it should be presented. And if there's 49 other states who don't agree when some crazy extremist tries to change history then all those who would be affected should have a say in what happens. Everyone should have a say, right? That's the whole point in a democracy. . . right now we're just witnessing what happens when the nutty ones get a chance to have some political pull.

The Texas schools board committee shouldn't hold that tight a grip over the rest of the country. This isn't the United States schools board making a decision. . . this is just ONE state. I have a bad feeling if the President tried to step in though. . . that he would just end up with a bunch of crap heaped up on him by people not entirely grasping the gravity of what could happen to kids not just in Texas but across the country.

This is why when your kids come from from school you ask them, "What did you learn today?"

And then you talk about it.