Testing Hell

As a supportive party of the rebellion, you're well aware of the dangers that await, should you be discovered.

Two months ago, a celebrated rebel leader was apprehended by the Imperial Guard. The man, Magister Kiernan, was a well-known scholar and one of the visionaries behind the rebel cause and his punishment adequately reflected his crimes against the Empire. An announcement was made, and Kiernan was publicly executed by way of beheading. If his imprisonment hadn't been enough to stifle rebellious tendencies, the execution surely was, and many rebels fled Taitelle to regroup in other territories. Rumours that had been circulating about another task Kiernan had begun were immediately hushed, and for two months no one has spoken of ancient Trees or dying lands.

Until today, that is, when you discover a curious piece of parchment that could only be meant for a rebel supporter...

5 Lekthas, 3rd Quarter of the Crone, 192 TE

I understand that a letter of this nature seems an unusual method of communicating this, but in the present circumstances, it is a necessary precaution: I cannot risk direct communication at this time. We are reaching a critical situation and action must be taken. As you read this, I am quietly assembling a group of scholars, mages, and soldiers who support the cause, and I must ask that this be kept secret, at least for now.
I regret to inform you that the rumours are true: the Heart of Aetheria is dying.

We are now beginning to see the effects of our actions those years ago, and the situation is dire. Reports from coastal cities are steadily increasing, bringing messages of failing crops and emaciated cattle. Hunters are taking less prey and rates of wildlife predation have increased far beyond what is common in a dormancy cycle. Thus far, these reports have been kept quiet. The Empire has sent meagre relief efforts to the affected areas, though it is quickly becoming far more than it can handle and relief efforts are being halted. The Emperor has decided the plight of these areas must be due to rebel sabotage and does not merit attention or aide.

Fatalities are on the rise as magical instability increases- something I'm sure you have already seen. Where possible, these deaths are also being attributed to rebel attacks and, otherwise, ignored. They are refusing to see what is plainly before their eyes, and Aetheria and all her people are going to pay the price.

As you know, fifty-one years ago, the Empire forcibly removed the guard stones from the Tree. In those fifty-one years, the Tree has been unable to enter dormancy and revitalize itself. The argument was that no dormancy meant limitless prosperity-- but our research indicates that without dormancy cycles, the Tree can neither regulate magic nor support prosperity in the land.

Without dormancy cycles, I am confident the Tree will die.

No matter how many times he is confronted with evidence, the Emperor refuses to listen. I worry he is so blinded by the threat of revolution and repercussions of what it would mean if our research if true (which it is), he refuses to see the truth. The more we press him to take action, the more obstinate he becomes.

Two weeks ago, our most outspoken scholar, Magister Avelissa, was sent to Portwatch to "observe the conditions there," and we have not heard from her since… I now fear the worst.

The crystalline guard stones removed from the tree have been destroyed, save for the sample specimens that remain in our study. I plan to take these pieces, journey through the Forest of the Ancients, and return them to the Tree. Experiments with the crystals and bark samples taken from the Tree have given us reason to believe that even the smallest piece of crystal may act as a catalyst and restore what we so foolishly removed.

This will not be an easy undertaking-- especially when the Empire discovers what I am doing, as I have no doubt they will. However, it is a risk I am willing to take-- and a risk that is necessary if we are to preserve the Aetheria we know and love. Should the Heart of Aetheria be lost, so too shall we.

Please send return word using the same enchantment by which this message was concealed. If you are interested in furthering your support, I will then contact you with the date, time, and location of our first gathering to discuss options and concerns, and determine how best we may proceed.

For dissolution, harmony, and a free Aetheria!

- Kiernan

6-3-1, 193 TE

If you think we're giving up because of a little public execution, you are sorely mistaken. To those who wish to actually make a contribution to the world that enables your existence, be at the Randy Gander in the Taithros outskirts by sundown on 21/3/1. Request a room with Chasma-- and don't be a transparent fuckass. If you're followed, you're shit out of luck. Bring ideas, a pack, and a can-do attitude. No one else is going to save our asses.

Hello!

If you're looking for a fantasy save-the-world adventure with rebellion, a heist, and hippie communes, you've come to the right place. Let's get some of the basic info out of the way…

Genre
Fantasy/Adventure

Magic Use
Yes [Elemental, Restorative, Runic, Illusory, Subliminal]

Races
SEVEN! [Human, Goblin, Lamia, Horned, Satyr, Centaur, Nymph]

Basic Plot
Save the world, and perhaps dissolve an oppressive empire along the way. Expect layovers.

Player Count
4-6 (excluding GMs)

LGBT+ Friendly

We are Seeking
  • Adept Writers - Please be able to produce several solid paragraphs with relevant content and demonstrate a knowledge of the English language
  • Creative Contribution - Want to help us flesh out the world by adding a bit of your own content? Awesome! Have an idea you think we should try? Let us know!
  • Dedicated Players - I understand things come up, but try to be active if you choose to join. We prefer players who are comfortable with OOC Discord, as it makes for a much smoother experience, imo.
  • Respectful Players - Drama? In character only! It's okay to have conflict now and then, but it will be resolved in a mature and respectful manner, or you're outta here.
  • Sense of Humour - While there will be serious moments, injury, and possibly even death, this is not intended to be a dark or "edgy" RP.
  • Mature Players - Preferred* There won't be graphic sex scenes in posts and what-have-you (PM the person, if that's your jam), but there will be strong language, violence, and lewd allusions.

Whew. That said, this is still a bit of a WIP and it will likely be another week or so before the OOC/Sign-Up thread is fully up and running. Right now, I'm just trying to gauge interest and see if, perhaps, people want to discuss some elements via Discord.

Please note that this NOT a first-come, first-served situation. If there is enough interest, players will be selected by their character applications and writing samples.

Cheers!

Last edited:
  • Nice Execution!
Reactions: Lillian Gray
Heart of the World

• A
    etheria: an ancient world wrought of mystery and magic. It is said that, during formation of the tiny planet, Aetheria was in turmoil. Unbalanced magic tore the world apart, pushing up mountains, shifting continents, and spitting molten rock up from the depths. The world burned, tremored, cooled, and was ravaged by wild magic again and again. And yet, despite the chaos, life endured. Perhaps the world took pity on the struggling creatures, or perhaps it's simply the way of magic, but the chaotic energy began to coalesce in the centre of the world and from it grew a tiny sapling.

As the years passed, the sapling grew into a vast tree which would become the very heart of the world, stabilizing the chaotic energy to maintain balance and harmony in cycles of prosperity and dormancy. Civilizations grew and, eventually, all of Aetheria fell under the rule of the Taitellen Empire. Seeking to put an end to the periods of the land's dormancy, the Empire took away the protective stones that permitted the Heart of Aetheria to flourish.

Now, the world has begun to wane and rebellion is stirring.
  • As a supportive party of the rebellion, you're well aware of the dangers that await, should you be discovered.

Two months ago, a celebrated rebel leader was apprehended by the Imperial Guard. The man, Magister Kiernan, was a well-known scholar and one of the visionaries behind the rebel cause and his punishment adequately reflected his crimes against the Empire. An announcement was made, and Kiernan was publicly executed by way of beheading. If his imprisonment hadn't been enough to stifle rebellious tendencies, the execution surely was, and many rebels fled Taitelle to regroup in other territories. Rumours that had been circulating about another task Kiernan had begun were immediately hushed, and for two months no one has spoken of ancient Trees or dying lands.

Until today, that is, when you discover a curious piece of parchment that could only be meant for a rebel supporter...

5 Lekthas, 3rd Quarter of the Crone, 192 TE

I regret to inform you that the rumours are true: the Heart of Aetheria is dying.

I understand that a letter of this nature seems an unusual method of communicating this, but in the present circumstances, it is a necessary precaution: I cannot risk direct communication at this time. We are reaching a critical situation and action must be taken. As you read this, I am quietly assembling a group of scholars, mages, and soldiers who support the cause, and I must ask that this be kept secret, at least for now.

We are now beginning to see the effects of our actions those years ago, and the situation is dire. Reports from coastal cities are steadily increasing, bringing messages of failing crops and emaciated cattle. Hunters are taking less prey and rates of wildlife predation have increased far beyond what is common in a dormancy cycle. Thus far, these reports have been kept quiet. The Empire was sending meagre relief efforts to the affected areas, though it quickly became far more than they could handle. The efforts are being halted, as the Emperor has decided the plight of these areas must be due to rebel sabotage and does not merit attention or aide.

Fatalities are on the rise as magical instability increases- something I'm sure you have already seen. Where possible, these deaths are also being attributed to rebel attacks and, otherwise, ignored. They are refusing to see what is plainly before their eyes, and Aetheria and all her people are going to pay the price.

As you know, fifty-one years ago, the Empire forcibly removed the guard stones from the Tree. In those fifty-one years, the Tree has been unable to enter dormancy and revitalize itself. The argument was that no dormancy meant limitless prosperity-- but our research indicates that without dormancy cycles, the Tree can neither regulate magic nor support prosperity in the land.

Without dormancy cycles, I am confident the Tree will die.

No matter how many times he is confronted with evidence, the Emperor refuses to listen. I worry he is so blinded by the threat of revolution and repercussions of what it would mean if our research is correct (which it is), he refuses to see the truth. The more we press him to take action, the more obstinate he becomes.

Two weeks ago, our most outspoken scholar, Magister Avelissa, was sent to Portwatch to "observe the conditions there," and we have not heard from her since… I now fear the worst.

The crystalline guard stones removed from the tree have been destroyed, save for the sample specimens that remain in our study. I plan to take these pieces, journey through the Forest of the Ancients, and return them to the Tree. Experiments with the crystals and bark samples taken from the Tree have given us reason to believe that even the smallest piece of crystal may act as a catalyst and restore what we so foolishly removed.

This will not be an easy undertaking, especially when the Empire discovers what I am doing, as I have no doubt they will. However, it is a risk I am willing to take- and a risk that is necessary if we are to preserve the Aetheria we know and love. Should the Heart of Aetheria be lost, so too shall we.

Please send return word using the same enchantment by which this message was concealed. If you are interested in furthering your support, I will then contact you with the date, time, and location of our first gathering to discuss options and concerns, and determine how best we may proceed.

For dissolution, harmony, and a free Aetheria!

- Kiernan

6-3-1, 193 TE

If you think we're giving up because of a little public execution, you are sorely mistaken. To those who wish to actually make a contribution to the world that enables your existence, be at the Randy Gander in the Taithros outskirts by sundown on 21/3/1. Request a room with Chasma-- and don't be a transparent fuckass. If you're followed, you're shit out of luck. Bring ideas, a pack, and a can-do attitude. No one else is going to save our asses.

• Hello and welcome to Heart of the World!

If you're looking for a fantasy save-the-world adventure with rebellion, a heist, and hippie communes, you've come to the right place! Take a look around and please be sure to read the rules! If you have any questions, let us know!

GM
    - @DinoFeather
    co-GM
    - @Lillian Gray

Rules and Guidelines

Adept Writers
    - Please be able to produce several solid paragraphs with relevant content and demonstrate a knowledge of the English language.

Active Players
    - We're asking for a minimum of one post per week to keep people active and interested! However, if something comes up and you need more time, or if you'll be inactive for a period but are still interested, please let us know-- real life always comes first!

Respectful Players
    - Drama? In character only! We're looking for good attitudes and respect for others. It's okay to have conflict now and then, but it will be resolved in a mature and respectful manner, or you're outta here. If you have an issue, please come to us.

GMs in Control
    - Please do not attempt to hijack the plot or attempt to spin the story to be only about your character. We aim to involve everyone, and if there is a special plot point you'd like to explore, please speak to us about it for approval. GM word is law.

Player Autonomy
    - Do not control other peoples' characters! Also, please don't conflate what you, the player, knows with what your character knows.

All Iwaku Rules Apply
    - If you are unfamiliar, please go review them!

Creative Contribution
    - Want to help us flesh out the world by adding a bit of your own content? Awesome! Have an idea you think we should try? Let us know! We want to hear from you, but we do need to approve ideas before they're just added in to the world.

Sense of Humour
    - While there will be serious moments, injury, and possibly even death, this is not intended to be a dark or "edgy" RP.

Mature Players
    - Preferred* There won't be graphic sex scenes in posts and what-have-you (PM the person, if that's your jam), but there will be strong language, violence, and lewd allusions.

And most importantly-- HAVE FUN!​

• Info here!
[tabs][/tabs]

Aetheria

• Aetheria is composed of one land mass, a supercontinent (much like Pangaea) with a few outlying islands. The climate ranges from tropics to at its southernmost points, to tundra in its north. Volcanoes and earthquakes occur in select regions, though almost exclusively in the southern parts of the world. Some mountain ranges have long-dormant volcanoes with still-active geothermal springs. The wildlife found in Aetheria includes both the common and the fantastic, from sheep and horses to wyverns and ancient, unnamed guardians of the forests.

Orbiting the planet are three moons known as the Maiden, the Mother, and the Crone. The Maiden is the closest of the satellites and has the shortest orbital period. It is a small, white-coloured moon that is highly reflective. The Mother is the largest moon, silver-green in colour, and lies between the other two satellites. Reddish in colour and irregularly shaped, the Crone is the smallest and most distant of the moons and has the longest orbital period.
  • The Tree is also called "The Heart of Aetheria" as it is connected to the magic that permeates the world and all life on it. The Tree grows at (roughly) the centre of the world's land mass and its roots are said to reach to the shores of the seas, though this has yet to be either proven or disproven. The base of the tree's sprawling roots is surrounded by rocks with crystalline growth that is found nowhere else on Aetheria.

What is known is that the immense tree is incredibly ancient and is thought to date back to the formation of the Aetherian Continent. It stands roughly 250' tall and spreads nearly 200' across its canopy. The Tree grows in a low valley of ancient forest which remains temperate throughout the year. It is theorized that the Tree keeps the region largely untouched by the changing seasons, though research is still inconclusive. The Tree's foliage does not change or fall throughout the year.

Every ten years on average (spanning anywhere from 8-12 years), the tree enters a state of dormancy. For approximately three months leading up to dormancy, the Tree sheds its leaves and many of the smaller branches fall as well. As the Tree enters its dormant state, the crystals (usually benign) rapidly spread over the tree until it is fully encased. The crystallization process is incredibly quick and occurs within the span of a single week. Once encased, the Tree remains this way anywhere from one to two years.

While the Tree is dormant, the land slowly wanes into dormancy as well. Crops are usually stunted and harvests are small. Withering flora supports fewer prey animals, often causing predators to become bold from hunger. Additionally, magic experiences severe instability while the Tree is dormant, as it is unregulated at that time. After its dormancy cycle, the crystals recede back to small nodes at the base of the tree. The land becomes vibrant once more and magic regains its stability.

No one knows what triggers the crystals to grow and recede, but it is hypothesized that Tree and the crystals share a sort of symbiosis. During the prosperity cycle, it is thought that magic collects and coalesces in the crystals, and when the Tree moves into dormancy, the crystals encase the tree to help restore its magical potency.

Essentially, the Tree regulates both magic and life on Aetheria. In a way, the Tree respirates magical energy, drawing in the unstable energy before releasing it, stabilized, back into the world through its roots and leaves. While the Tree is dormant, it is unable to filter or release energy back into the world, which causes the land to wither. It also causes magic to become incredibly unstable and highly unpredictable. Mages may experience standard results from their magic, nothing at all, or even catastrophic bursts of magic.

• The smallest and most densely populated territory, Taitelle is home to the Imperial city of Taithros. While it began as a human territory, it is now home to the largest and most diverse market in the world. The westernmost of the five territories, Taitelle is largely farmland and temperate deciduous forest. Due to its wealth and open access to ports and trade routes, Taitelle imports good from all over Aetheria, then exports them to other territories.

Major Cities:
      ❧ Taithros - Capital - Imperial City and home to the Aetherian Market and Magisteria Academy​
      ❧ Cirhelm Harbour - Moderately-sized port city​
      ❧ Eldan - Moderately-sized city near expanses of pasture and farmland​
      ❧ Kelna - Moderately-sized logging city​
      ❧ Khal Miras - Large goblin-built city that houses several universities​
      ❧ Portwatch - Large port city and harbour where Imperial ships are docked​

• The largest of the five territories, Estura is moderately-populated, largely due to Port Emswyn and the two goblin cities of Khal Dural and Khal Varrin. Outside those cities, the population is composed mainly of centaurs-- with some satyrs and a small handful of nymphs calling Estura home as well. The territory is temperate deciduous and alpine forests with mountainous regions and estuaries along the western coast.

Major Cities:
      ❧ Caelora - Capital - More a large collection of camps and villages than a true city​
      ❧ Khal Duran - Moderately-sized goblin-built city and home of the renowned Runic Workshop​
      ❧ Khal Varrin - Large goblin-built city and first established city in Aetheria​
      ❧ Port Emswyn - Moderately-sized port city; essential for trade​
      ❧ Thaemar - Small collection of villages inhabited almost exclusively by centaurs and satyrs​

• The northernmost territory and only marginally smaller than Estura, Wyndfel is moderately-populated. While most races have made a home in Wyndfel, the largest percentage of the population is horned. While the southernmost portion of the territory is temperate deciduous forest, mountains, alpine forest, and tundra in the far north easily make Wyndfel the coldest of the territories.

Major Cities:
      ❧ Tórlinn - Capital - Large city well-known for its mines and forges​
      ❧ Karste - Moderate collection of horned villages and lodges​
      ❧ Rola - Small logging city​
      ❧ Stoksós - Large collection of horned villages and lodges​
      ❧ Windermere - Moderately-sized city along a freshwater lake​

• The second smallest and the southernmost region, Luras has some broadleaf forests in the northern portions, shifting into open grassland and eventually into tropical forests in its central and southern regions. Mountains in the west contribute to an area of desert scrubland, which extends nearly to the city of Talos. The southern reaches of the territory are home to large riverways, estuaries, and several dormant volcanoes. The population in the southernmost portion of Luras is comprised mostly of Lamia, though the capital city of Tumana is highly diverse.

Major Cities:
      ❧ Tumana - Capital - Large and diverse city on the shores of a vast freshwater lake; produces silk​
      ❧ Briar Glen - shared border with Ventha - Large and sprawling commune of forest homes and camps​
      ❧ Capivala - Moderately-sized collection of camps and villages of predominantly mountain centaurs, hosts wool festivals​
      ❧ Merizoc - Small city that is almost exclusively populated by lamia​
      ❧ Rovecas - Moderately-sized port city valued for trade​
      ❧ Talos - Moderately-sized city that serves as a stopover before/after travelling through the desert region of Luras​

• Falling in the middle of both size and population, Ventha is mostly grassland and marshes. The southernmost region, especially along the Luras border, is tropical forest. The archipelago extending from the southern tip of the territory is home to several volcanoes, both dormant and active. Northern Ventha provides most of the Empire's farmland and pasture for livestock.

Major Cities:
      ❧ Aneford - Capital - Large and diverse trade city​
      ❧ Briar Glen - shared border with Luras - Large and sprawling commune of forest homes and camps​
      ❧ Draycott - Moderately-sized city with emphasis on agriculture​
      ❧ Morath - Moderately-sized city with an animal black market; largely ignored by Empire​
      ❧ Port Venmore - Large port city used in trade and a restocking point before Stillharbour​
      ❧ Stillharbour - An ever-growing city on an island, favoured for its weather; parts were never rebuilt after disasters​

• Here be the tree. Super dense forest filled with giant creatures. Surrounded by treacherous mountains on all sides. More info soon.

• Before - World formed, unbalanced, no cycles

A few million years come and go...

0 - Tree Grows, cycles emerge but are erratic
    301 - First recorded manuscript date
    435 - First major city (Khal Varrin) founded
    479-502 - Territories of Estura and Wyndfel established
    583-599 - Venthan Skirmishes
    600 - Ventha splits from Wyndfel
    713 - Tree reaches maturity, cycles stabilize and adapt regular pattern
    852 - Luras peacefully splits from Estura
    883 - Prosperity cycles hypothesized
    898 - Taitelle territory negotiated
    909 - Taitelle established
    911 - Expeditions into Forest of the Ancients charted
    912 - Stories of the Heart of Aetheria confirmed
    913-915 - Limited studies of the Tree performed
    916 - Research outpost attacked during dormancy cycle, studies abandoned
    918 - Prosperity and Dormancy Theory proposed
    927 - Taithros established
    1,051 - Iryal Taites takes Taitellen throne
    1,101 - Taitellen occupation of Ventha
    1,102 - Wyndfel-Estura-Luras Negotiations; territories remain, but under Taitellen rule

0 TE [Taitellen Empire] Taitellen Empire Formed, Taithros established as Imperial Capital
    9 TE - Lamia stronghold of Merizoc cedes control to the Empire
    59 TE - New research of Tree proposed
    63 TE - Prosperity and Dormancy Cycles retesting begins
    111 TE - Guard Stone piece removed from Tree for study
    113 TE - Research team withdrawn from Tree during attack
    121 TE - Removal of Guard stones proposed
    139 TE - Partial removal of Guard Stones, majority of research team lost
    145-153 TE - Wyndfel skirmishes
    176 TE - Eruption of Mt. Kinsae, Stillharbour destroyed, earthquakes/tsunami hit Ventha/Luras
    176-191 TE - Relief and reconstruction efforts
    203 TE - Guard Stone removal deemed necessary
    242 TE - Guard Stones effectively destroyed by Emperor Ruslan; dormancy cycles cease
    281 TE - Sovereignty Treaty proposed by Emperor Ruslan
    282 TE- Emperor Ruslan dies, Emperor Petros crowned
    283 TE - Sovereignty Treaty retracted by Emperor Petros
    285 TE - Rumors of rebellion begin
    292 TE - Magister Kiernan beheaded for crimes against the Empire
    293 TE - Present Day
  • Nearly three hundred years ago, the Taitellen Empire seized control of Aetheria. Having risen from the smallest and most recently-formed of the Aetherian territories, Taitelle grew quickly, striving to match the other territories in terms of exports and progress. The true driving force behind Taitelle's growth was the Taites line, which still holds power today. Having first worked toward the vision of a human-governed territory, Iryal Taites helped establish the capital city of Taithros from which much of Taitelle's strength grew. It took little time, however, for that vision to become greed and a hunger for power unlike anything Aetheria had before seen.

Under the guise of progress, Taithros gained the support of the the goblin city of Khal Miras. Expanding opportunity drew centaurs, satyrs, and even horned to the flourishing territory, effectively creating the largest and most diverse market in the world. Trade roads quickly fell under Taitelle's grasp and, coupled with the advent of efficient trade ships, the territory was quick to establish port cities in neighbouring Ventha. Proposed as a means of expedited trade, the ports were ultimately used in the occupation of Ventha.

The Venthan occupation in 1,101 was used as a means of forcing negotiations between the other territories, bringing them under Taitellen rule. In the year 1,103 (0 TE), the Taitellen Empire was formed, thus marking the end of the free era in Aetheria.

Over the next decade, the last vestiges of resistance ceded to the Empire and Taitelle gained total control of Aetheria. While the territories were largely permitted to retain their existing cities and cultures, the increase in taxes and demand for soldiers steadily grew. Access to the trade routes became ever more restricted, and steep tolls were put in place even for non-mercantile travellers. Contributions of timber, stone, fibre, and ore became an expected commodity, each territory being assigned a quota to meet as their "tribute" to the Empire.

With the influx of goods and wealth, coupled with the diverse population of the Imperial Capital, Taithros became a bastion of academic and artistic growth. Such talents flourished in the prestigious Iryal Academy, and both mages and scholars alike sought training within its walls. Eventually, more thorough research was proposed to better understand what caused the cycles of the Tree to wax and wane. But venturing into the Forest of the Ancients is a perilous task, and the expedition was cut short when the researchers were attacked by the giant creatures who protect the sacred lands.

Another research team did manage to remove a piece of a Guard Stone and returned it to Taithros for study. Their findings suggested that the Guard Stones and Tree shared a connection and that it was the Stones causing the cycles of dormancy. The Guard Stones were partially removed in 139 TE, but skirmishes for control of the Wyndfel capital took priority.

It wasn't until the eruption of Mt. Kinsae destroyed Stillharbour and triggered earthquakes tsunamis to devastate parts of Ventha and Luras that the Empire decided the dormancy cycles had to be stopped. With tribute failing to come in and with spending time, resources, and manpower in their (albeit perfunctory) relief efforts, the Empire became increasingly worried about sustaining their immoderate lifestyles during the lean years to come. In 242 TE, the Guard Stones were forcibly removed and destroyed by Emperor Ruslan Taites.

In the years to come, it seemed their solution had indeed been a sound one. The periods of dormancy ceased, there was no longer magical instability or withering crops during the lean years. Instead, there were years of uninterrupted prosperity. Emperor Ruslan, feeling the Empire had overcome the greatest obstacle Aetheria had put in their way, proposed that the territories be given their sovereignty. The was no need to give tribute when the world was so prosperous.

Ruslan, however, was dead within the year and his son, Petros, took the throne. Less than a year later, the proposal of sovereignty was retracted by Petros. Taxes and tolls climbed higher and higher and the dissent from the other territories grew louder. Soon, rebellion was brewing-- even in the Imperial City of Taithros. And then, the land began to wane. Slowly at first, only the very edges of the world, but it began to creep inward. Crops were beginning to fail and more and more reports of hungry villages were sent to the Capital. It was there Magister Kieran decided action must be taken to reverse what had been done.

If only he'd lived to see it through...
  • First Cycle [Season of the Maiden]
    1st Quarter (January)
    2nd Quarter (February)
    3rd Quarter (March)
    4th Quarter (April)

Second Cycle [Season of the Mother]
    1st Quarter (May)
    2nd Quarter (June)
    3rd Quarter (July)
    4th Quarter (August)

Third Cycle [Season of the Crone]
    1st Quarter (September)
    2nd Quarter (October)
    3rd Quarter (November)
    4th Quarter (December)

Lekthas LEK-thas (Monday)
    Kilthas KEEL-thas (Tuesday)
    Winthas WEEN-thas (Wednesday)
    Melthas MEL-thas (Thursday)
    Hirthas HERE-thas (Friday)
    Silthas SEAL-thas (Saturday)
    Cetthas KET-thas (Sunday)

Dates written as

17-3-1 192 TE - 17th day of the 3rd quarter of the 1st cycle, year 192 TE

17-3-1 would be March 17th
    4-4-3 would be December 4th

Races & Culture
  • Centaurs are a highly diverse race, having closely related yet still dissimilar physical attributes. Those living in more open plains and mountain foothills (plains centaurs) share a likeness with equines. Centaurs dwelling in forested regions (forest centaurs) are cervine in appearance, often growing antlers. The centaurs who populate the mountains (mountain Centaurs) are akin to camelids and grow thick wool. Depending upon the particular group of centaur, their interests, trades, and lifestyles vary.

While centaurs originated in Estura, they have spread beyond its present-day borders. Many plains centaurs still reside in Estura, though some have moved to settle in the southern reaches of Wyndfel, as well as parts of Taitelle and Ventha. Plains centaurs are lax in their traditions and take to other customs easily. Some even live comfortably in large cities, taking on a wide range of trades and skills, though they often prefer wide open spaces and smaller villages.

Forest centaurs are, largely, inclined to remain in the wildest parts of Estura, travelling in nomadic herds, primarily composed of hunter-gatherers. Some of the finest archers in Aetheria are, forest centaurs are known for crafting bows of superior quality, as well as fine wooden spears. Relatively few in number, forest centaurs are somewhat aloof and tend to keep to their own, though it's not completely unheard of to come across them in cities now and again.

Mountain centaurs are easily the most gregarious of their kind, though many opt to live in mountain villages rather than cities. Semi-nomadic, many mountain centaurs are sheepherders and specialize in weaving, dyes, and woolcraft. Their colourful blankets and cloaks are highly valued, as are their intricately-carved wooden ornaments. While it may be a trek to reach their homes, any travellers are greeted with warm hospitality.

Despite their many differences, most centaurs are highly attuned with nature and harbour a deep respect for Aetheria and all life on it. Many worship the Ancient Ones and honour them by observing events such as eclipses and solstices as holy days. Though they are not often drawn to academics, they are the first recorded race to name the constellations and celestial bodies.

While all centaurs have keen senses, they suffer from poor low-light vision and are not gifted swimmers. Some may be able to cross small, shallow distances in water, but they are simply not cut out for prolonged swimming. Size varies greatly, depending on which type of centaur an individual is. Plains centaurs are generally the largest, reaching heights between six and eight feet; forest centaurs average around six and a half feet, while mountain centaurs generally stand five and a half to six feet tall. Hair, skin, and fur colour varies greatly between individuals. Their average life span is 80 years.

Pros:

Plains
    ❧ strength and endurance
    ❧ high constitution
    ❧ keen senses

Forest/Mountain
    ❧ sure-footed
    ❧ keen senses
    ❧ agile jumpers (Forest)
    ❧ excellent climbers (Mountain)

Cons:

Plains
    ❧ lower agility
    ❧ poor swimmers
    ❧ poor dark-vision

Forest/Mountain
    ❧ lower running endurance
    ❧ poor swimmers
    ❧ poor dark-vision

• Perhaps one of the most adaptable races on Aetheria, goblins are fairly widespread. Originating in the mountains of Estura, they have steadily expanded into the other territories and developed several major cities. Industrious and inquisitive by nature, goblins are often tinkerers, inventors, and tradesworkers-- though they tend to serve their own unusual purposes rather than appeal to a higher order. As such, they can come across as chaotic to those unfamiliar with their methods.

While goblins can be fiercely competitive, they have little in the way of gender roles or age restrictions. Whoever does it the best or the fastest takes the prize, so far as they're concerned. Children are often raised in groups and take on apprenticeships or develop their own unique skill as they grow. A goblin who lacks a dedicated trade or skill is highly frowned upon.

Having first been cavern-dwellers, goblins are small beings compared to many. They average between three and a half to just over five feet tall and are usually lithely built. Their complexions range from brown to grey to shades of green, blue, and purple. Some have long hair, while others have a short, dense fur around their face and head. All have large ears, somewhat flat faces, claw-like nails, pointed teeth, and prehensile feet.

They are adept climbers and navigate well in the dark. They have keen senses, including sharp vision and sense of smell, as well as excellent hearing. Unlike many of the other races, goblins are obligate carnivores and require meat or fish to sustain long-term health. They are generally quick-- fast movers, fast thinkers, fast talkers-- but suffer in terms of strength and stamina. Their average lifespan is 65 years. (It should be noted that this number does not accurately reflect a natural lifespan, as goblins have an unfortunate tendency to blow themselves up or die in other equally-dangerous, self-inflicted situations.)

Pros:

❧ dexterous and stealthy
    ❧ keen senses and dark-vision
    ❧ resistant to most poisons

Cons:

❧ weaker physical strength
    ❧ obligate carnivores
    ❧ low endurance

• Sturdy and stubborn, horned are one of the most resilient races of Aetheria. They are a proud but markedly friendly people, renowned for their metalwork and leather crafting. Semi-nomadic, horned split their time and their trades by season, cultivating quick-growing crops and working leathers in the summer months before retreating to winter lodges and mountain forges to weather storms and blizzards.

Horned live and travel in large groups and are a family-oriented people, though their definition of family isn't limited to blood relatives. Friends or even stranges taken into a group of horned quickly become "family" to them, and are readily welcomed into their homes and lives. While many horned excel in smithing and leatherworking, they take on a diverse set of trades. Many also enjoy cooking for large groups-- even if not as a profession.

Hardy and well-adapted to the cold, the horned make their homes in the mountain ranges of Wyndfel. In the summer months after the snows have melted, they descend to valley villages to tend crops and hunt, stockpiling for winter. Strong, and well-built, horned are taller than most, standing between 6' to 7' in height. Unsurprisingly, all horned possess cranial horns, though the shape varies somewhat between individuals. Pointed ears also range in size, and their skin tones come in virtually every colour. Horned also harbour a fondness for body art and piercings.

Though not quite as agile as satyrs, horned possess large, cloven hooves that allow for excellent navigation of rocky and difficult terrain. Horned have keen hearing and fair low-light vision, as well as excellent resistance to the cold. A hardy constitution provides excellent stamina and impressive overall strength. Their average lifespan is 85 years.

Pros:

❧ sturdy and resilient
    ❧ good constitution in cold climates
    ❧ navigates terrain easily

Cons:

❧ often stubborn or hot-headed
    ❧ can occasionally be blinded by pride
    ❧ overly competitive

• The most widespread race in Aetheria, humans have ventured far beyond their origins in Taitelle and Ventha, and into the five different nations of the continent. Their personalities and skills are as diverse as the nations they've delved into, but they are no more or less unique than the next. Due to the fact they are not inhibited by highly-specialized natural or physical traits, humans have the advantage in that they are capable of choosing almost any skill or trade. They may however, find themselves outperformed by other races in their chosen trades.

Humans have proven to be (alongside goblins) one of the most adaptable of the races, and ultimately, the most wide-spread. Capable of acclimating to virtually any climate, humans have ventured to the extremes of the continent. Both hot-headed and temperate, wise and forgetful, the history of the human race has been filled with both bitter feuds, and innovative discovery and wealth. Their natural lifespan allows for both a moderate balance of work and family. Most humans take on one partner, and raise their children in a single family home.

Like the other inhabitants of Aetheria, humans are a highly diverse race, with complexions ranging from dark brown to pallid white. Hair colour and texture is greatly varied, as are height and build. Humans generally range between 5'3" and 6'3" in height. Unlike some races, humans have poor dark vision and somewhat limited senses.

The skillset of the average human is just that-- average. And, though they may not be the strongest, fastest, or most specialized, humans are not lacking in physical ability-- possessing fair speed, strength, and endurance. They are adequate climbers and swimmers. Perhaps the most valuable and celebrated human trait is their determination-- which has allowed them to compete with other, more specialized races. Their average life-span is 80 years.

Pros:

❧ balance of strength speed, and dexterity
    ❧ indomitable spirit
    ❧ adept mages

Cons:

❧ lowered senses
    ❧ poor dark-vision
    ❧ incredibly average

• The last race to cede their resistance against the Empire, lamia remain largely sequestered in the jungles of Luras and Ventha. Though not truly xenophobic, lamia tend to be a reserved people and somewhat wary of strangers. Some do travel, but not usually without reason and seldom to colder regions of the world. One of their most prominent trades is the crafting of jewellery with abalone shell and pearl, which many lamia clans pride themselves on.

Lamia often live in small, close-knit clans that populate villages interspersed through the dense southern jungles. While many clans opt to live on the ground and somewhat close to the coastlines, a fair number of clans opt to build their homes and villages in the trees. Long ago, some small clans split from those on land and now make permanent homes in the sea, seldom interacting with outsiders.

Well-adapted for a diverse habitat, lamia have powerful bodies that make them adept climbers and swimmers. Swift and silent, they also make skilled ambush hunters, though they do not fare well in an extended chase. Skin, scale, and hair colours vary greatly. Some have skin colour that differs from their scales, while some have the same patterns or colouration over their entire body. Regardless of outward appearance, all lamia have pointed ears, sharp teeth, and suffer from slight nearsightedness. Most lamia "stand" between 5'6" and 6'6" when upright. From head to tail, most fall between 12' to 18' in length, though there are extremes on either end.

To compensate for their visual impairment, lamia have developed an exceptional sense of smell, which can provide them with information about their immediate surroundings. While they are not cold-blooded like reptiles, they are highly susceptible to cold and must take precautions in cooler climates. Like Goblins, lamia are obligate carnivores and require meat or fish for sustained health. Though wary of strangers, lamia can be a passionate people and are fond of their traditions and practices. Their average life span is 100 years.

Pros:

❧ very quick with powerful bodies
    ❧ excellent swimmers and climbers
    ❧ keen sense of smell

Cons:

❧ lower constitution in cold temperatures
    ❧ obligate carnivore
    ❧ poor vision

• Thought to have originated in the dense forests of inner Aetheria, Nymphs are a highly unique race, as varied as the countless plants found across the continent. Preferring to live in or near the ancient forests, nymphs are rarely found in cities and away from nature. Many nymphs act as caretakers of the natural world, not finding it necessary to pursue a trade or skill. Every now and again, one may encounter a nymph who has accepted work as a gardener or land steward, though they mostly keep to themselves.

While many nymphs live in small groups or "groves" throughout and around inner Aetheria, others prefer solitary lives and often travel the land, keeping largely to areas of low population. There is little, if any, physical distinction between the sexes, though most nymphs are able to manipulate their bodies to emphasize or lessen different physical attributes. Nymphs grow and mature quickly, and parenting roles are often of a short duration, though all share a connection through nature by which a collective of general information is handed down.

Nymphs possess a unique ability to meld with trees and other large plants, allowing them to temporarily become one part of the same organism. This ability allows them to restore themselves without needing to eat or sleep, but instead drawing energy from their host plant. Though it's rumoured that nymphs and other races are able to share intimacy, they are unable to reproduce in such a way. For propagation to occur, two or more nymphs must meld with the same plant, yielding an offspring that shares traits from the parents and their host plant.

Because of their diversity, nymphs vary wildly in size, colouration, and general appearance. Some have thick, barklike skin, while others are smooth and delicate. Some appear almost identical to trees and plants, while some opt to shift into a more humanoid state-- and some fluctuate between. Nymphs range in size from 4' to 7' and most are lithely built. Despite delicate appearances, many nymphs possess surprising physical strength and are adept runners and climbers. They able to virtually disappear by melding with trees and plants. They do not, however, deal well with extreme temperatures and they are particularly susceptible to extreme heat and flames. All nymphs possess the ability to use earth elemental magic. Their average lifespan is 150 years. Due to their close connection with nature, nymphs are highly attuned to the changes in the environment and many are increasingly affected by the fading Heart of Aetheria.

Pros:

❧ able to commune with nature
    ❧ can meld with plants as a means of restoration
    ❧ immune to plant poisons

Cons:

❧ weak against fire/heat
    ❧ obligate vegetarians
    ❧ one of the most heavily-impacted by fluctuations in the world

• Originating in the forests and foothills of what is present-day Luras and Ventha, satyrs haven't spread quite as quickly as other races. Fond of their homeland, many satyrs remain in the forested glens along the Luras-Ventha border, populating the vast commune of Briar Glen. It isn't uncommon to find satyrs venturing to other cities, though many are merely travellers and choose ultimately to return home to their familiar and much-loved forests.

Perhaps the most easy-going of all the Aetherian races, satyrs cherish leisure and frivolity. Even when under stern imperial rule, they opted to share their resources, living communally-- which has gone largely unchanged with the shifting of governments. Indulgence is encouraged within their communities, and many satyrs do not take a single committed partner but pursue intimacy and romance freely. Despite not having standard families by many races' standards, they raise their children in large social groups with each member of the community having a role in a youngster's upbringing.

A nature-loving people, satyrs live simply and are well-adapted for such lives. Agile and sure-footed, they are skilled climbers and impressive jumpers. Compared to other races, they are an average size, with heights ranging from 5-6 feet. Skin and fur colour vary wildly, as does tail length and horn/antler size and shape. Facial features vary between individuals, some having more caprine features, but all satyrs have large ears and acute hearing.

Satyrs possess keen senses and are generally quite dexterous. They eat a largely plant-based diet but have very few limitations on what they will try. Due to their indulgent nature, satyrs can come across as lazy or unstructured. Because they largely pursue their interests on whims, some can be rather unreliable, often changing plans at a moment's notice. They tend to be charismatic and friendly, equally welcoming to both friends and strangers alike. Their average lifespan is 80 years.

Pros:

❧ dexterous
    ❧ skilled climbers and jumpers
    ❧ keen senses

Cons:

❧ generally chaotic
    ❧ few affiliations
    ❧ lower inhibitions

Magic

• ❧ Fire - ranging from lethal blasts to small hand-held flames​
    ❧ Water - create showers, floods, or even ice shards​
    ❧ Earth - split the ground beneath an opponent's feet or call for botanic aid​
    ❧ Air - summon winds at gale force or just a gentle breeze​

Elemental magic can be used for a myriad of purposes both in and out of combat. Popular in many professions and trades, elemental magic is one of the most widely-used and desired. No implement is needed to call the elements to one's aid, but it can greatly aid in concentration of magic.

Most anything can be done with elemental magic -- within reason. Ask for clarification if needed.

• ❧ Light - creating blinding flashes and dazzling displays​
    ❧ Shadow - manipulate the shadows and fade away​
    ❧ Glamour - change appearance through use of illusion​
    ❧ Projection - project ethereal phantoms of people, animals, or objects​

Illusory mages are masters of visual manipulation and, while some are loved for stunning displays and performances, others are viewed as untrustworthy. The use of light enables mages to create environmental illusions, similar to a mirage. They are also able to create dazzling bursts of light, from simple sparks to illumination, to searing, blinding bursts of light. Those who manipulate shadows are able to stretch and bend darkness for easy concealment, as well as create shapes and figures within the shadows.

Glamour mages are able to change their physical appearance by donning a sort of magical veneer, changing something as small as a crooked nose or eye colour to something as complete as taking on the appearance of another person altogether. Glamour spells are highly convincing, however, they are not tangible. (If someone were making themselves appear taller, a person could wave a hand through the top of their head, etc.)

Projections are somewhat similar to glamour spells in that they are an ethereal creation projected by a mage-- they cannot be touched, but they can be highly convincing. When projecting, a mage can create an image of a person, animal, or object that is controlled by the mage. Controlling a projection takes considerable concentration, as all movements and actions (such as a person running) must be visualized by the mage. Those highly skilled in projection are also able to create sounds and voices to accompany their projections. Projections must be cast within a twenty-foot radius of the mage using the ability.

• ❧ Healing - heal wounds from tiny cuts to shattered bones​
    ❧ Channeling - draw power and vitality from one person and give to another​
    ❧ Purifying - cleanse poisons, venoms, and toxins​
    ❧ Enhancing - provide temporary but impressive boosts of vitality​

Perhaps the most desired mages are those who practice restorative magic. No matter their specialization, restorative mages are in high demand all over Aetheria-- but nowhere more so than in the Imperial Forces. Restorative magic, particularly the healing element, is one of the most difficult magics to master. Healers must study anatomy and medicine as part of their art, as they must know how to instruct a wound to heal for their magic to be effective. It should also be noted that healing is not usually a one time affair, especially for serious wounds. The more severe the injury, the more healing is needed and must often be performed in several successive sessions.

Purifying is the art of nullifying poisons, venoms, and toxins. That said, mages may only purify what should not be-- that is, while a purifier may help negate the effects of a plant poison in a person, they cannot prevent the plant from being poisonous itself.

Channelers are able to transfer magical energy from one party to another. This is done through skin-to-skin contact, usually by clasping hands. A mage may only channel from those who are willing to give up magical energy, though that energy may be given to any recipient. Often, it is used to revitalize weary mages during healing or combat.

Healers and purifiers benefit from magical implements, but they aren't a strict necessity.

• ❧ Offensive - gain increased strength, speed, and durability​
    ❧ Defensive - summon arcane shields to defend yourself and others​
    ❧ Warding - create wards that alert their creator to movement or magic​
    ❧ Enchantment - imbue inanimate objects with arcane power​

Favoured by soldiers, workers, scouts, and inventors, Runic magic can imbue items with increased or specialized powers, increase a person's physical prowess, generate impressive defense, and create arcane wards to aid in detection. Offensive and defensive magic are used without implements, though runic tattoos can help increase spell abilities. Offensive magic can increase a user's physical strength, speed, and general constitution. Defensive abilities include the summoning of various forms of shield that can endure both physical and magical damage.

Enchantment and warding are often skills of academics who delight in the creation of magical objects. Wards are small magical sigils, often created on paper or small stones, that can be used to serve a myriad of means. They may be used to detect the use of magic, alert someone of movement, or even to help dispel illusory magic. Enchantment imbues inanimate objects with arcane power, giving them unique or specialized properties. (e.g. a sword that is preternaturally sharp or a book in which the contents are revealed only if a reader knows the spell to display them, etc.) An implement must be used for enchantment.

• ❧ Soothing - calm agitation, fear, or sorrow and win trust more easily​
    ❧ Agitating - create discord and feelings of animosity and aggression​
    ❧ Alteration - temporarily alter thoughts and memory​
    ❧ Hypnosis - heavily influence the minds of others​

Mages who use subliminal magic are often among the most mistrusted-- and not without reason. A highly skilled mage can utilize these abilities almost wholly undetected. Masters of mental manipulations, these mages do sometimes use their abilities for good, but many apply them for their own means. As such, laws are in place that attempt to restrict the use of subliminal magic in official or legal matters, though they are difficult to enforce. Such a skill does come with a steep learning curve, making subliminal magic the most difficult to learn and use effectively.

Soothing magic can be used to calm anger, agitation, fear, sorrow, and anxiety, often making a person less guarded, more trusting, and less careful with words and actions. Likewise, agitating magic can create tension, fear, anxiety, and aggression. Agitating magic can be used to intimidate or instigate altercations and even full-on attacks. Alteration is used to temporarily alter or distort a person's thoughts or memory, making it difficult to think clearly or remember past occurrences. Hypnosis is used to induce a trance-like state, allowing the mage to heavily influence thoughts and actions. No implement is needed, but a mage must be within a ten-foot radius of the target to these abilities effectively.

Though mages are able to utilize all four aspects of their magic, they are often only highly specialized in one with proficiency in another. For example, an elemental mage whose primary specialization is fire would excel in fire-related spells, and those spells would possess the most power. If their secondary specialization were air, they would be able to summon strong gusts and perhaps even small cyclones-- though air spells would not be quite as powerful. They may be able to manipulate small rocks or call a trickle of water from the sky but otherwise, their earth and water spells would be weak. This applies across the board to all forms of magic.

• Notes and compatibility coming soon.

Characters
  • When your character is accepted, you will receive a notification as well as their entry into this tab.

• Big
      ole
      first tab
      of
      filler
      text
    • Big
      ole
      first tab
      of
      filler
      text
    • Big
      ole
      first tab
      of
      filler
      text
    • Big
      ole
      first tab
      of
      filler
      text
    • Big
      ole
      first tab
      of
      filler
      text
    • Big
      ole
      first tab
      of
      filler
      text

This text is just under the bunch of pics in the first large tab, and just above the box for sub tabs.
    • Big
      ole
      first tab
      of
      filler
      text
    • Big
      ole
      first tab
      of
      filler
      text
    • Big
      ole
      first tab
      of
      filler
      text
    • Big
      ole
      first tab
      of
      filler
      text
    • Big
      ole
      first tab
      of
      filler
      text
    • Big
      ole
      first tab
      of
      filler
      text

This text is also below the pics and above the sub-tab box.

• Code:
    [div=margin: 0 2%;
    border: 8px solid #145E5F;
    background: url(https://i.imgur.com/iuo5oka.jpg) repeat center fixed;
    padding: 20px 5%;
    font-family: Times New Roman;
    font-size: 15px;
    line-height: 19px;][CENTER][div=background-color: #f7eedc;
    border: 4px solid #145E5F;
    margin: 0 auto 20px;
    color: black;
    padding: 10px;
    display: inline-block;][SIZE=26px]CHARACTER NAME HERE![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=15px](Race/Other Detail) | (Age/Other Detail) | (Home Nation/Other Detail)[/SIZE][/div][/CENTER]
    [div=background-color: #f7eedc;
    border: 4px solid #145E5F;
    margin: auto;
    color: black;
    padding: 10px;][div=height: 500px;
    overflow: auto;
    padding-right: 3px;][icss="float: right; width: 200px; margin: 4px;"]http://pm1.narvii.com/6366/4883a40ea19530351c64fc8580cc3bc86f7bcffd_00.jpg[/icss][div=display: inline-block; font-weight: bold; color: #000000;]Name:[/div] (Character's name.)

[div=display: inline-block; font-weight: bold; color: #000000;]Nickname:[/div] (if applicable)

[div=display: inline-block; font-weight: bold; color: #000000;]Race:[/div] (Character's race.)

[div=display: inline-block; font-weight: bold; color: #000000;]Age:[/div] (Character's age.)

[div=display: inline-block; font-weight: bold; color: #000000;]Home Territory:[/div] (Character's home territory.)

[div=display: inline-block; font-weight: bold; color: #000000;]Profession:[/div] (Character's profession.)

[div=display: inline-block; font-weight: bold; color: #000000;]Description:[/div] (Character's physical description, 1-2 paragraphs.)

[div=display: inline-block; font-weight: bold; color: #000000;]Personality:[/div] (Brief personality description, 1-2 paragraphs.)

[div=display: inline-block; font-weight: bold; color: #000000;]Bio:[/div] (Brief bio, 1-2 paragraphs. Please include the reason why your character joined the rebellion.)

[div=display: inline-block; font-weight: bold; color: #000000;]Magic:[/div] (Type of magic and their proficiencies.)

[div=display: inline-block; font-weight: bold; color: #000000;]Skills:[/div] (Character's skills.)

[div=display: inline-block; font-weight: bold; color: #000000;]Strengths:[/div] (Character's overall strengths.)

[div=display: inline-block; font-weight: bold; color: #000000;]Weaknesses:[/div] (Character's overall weaknesses.)

[div=display: inline-block; font-weight: bold; color: #000000;]Romanceable:[/div] (WELL? Yes or no.)

[div=display: inline-block; font-weight: bold; color: #000000;]Artist:[/div] (Include credit for FC artist, if applicable.)[/div][/div][/div]
  • All
    the
    filler
    text
    you
    could
    want
    for
    big tab 4

Same drill as the other tabs - the text for this tab is tucked between the pics and the sub-tab box.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Kholas Abalyshevska
Goblin | 33 | Taitelle
NAME

Kholas Abalyshevska

NICKNAME

Kho

RACE

Goblin

HOME TERRITORY

Taithros, Taitelle

PROFESSION

Healer; Organizer of Rebel Remains

DESCRIPTION

(Character's physical description, 1-2 paragraphs.)

PERSONALITY

Acerbic. He heal, but he pissy.

BIO

(Brief bio, 1-2 paragraphs. As a separate item, please describe the reason why your character joined the rebellion.)

MAGIC

Restorative - Healing & Channeling

SKILLS

(Character's skills.)

STRENGTHS

(Character's overall strengths.)

WEAKNESSES

(Character's overall weaknesses.)

ROMANCEABLE

If snarky goblins are your thing...

Artist:
(Include credit for FC artist, if applicable.)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Spectre of the Fade
Heart of the World

• T
    he Randy Gander was a large building in the way of taverns, three stories high and built in the traditional early-Taitellen style with dark wood and white-washed stone exterior. In the fashion of taverns all over Aetheria, both the windows and the exterior weren't routinely cleaned or well maintained, giving the building a slightly dingy appearance. An old, weathered sign bearing only a carved goose was mounted over the door, swaying on rusty hangings in the cold wind.

The dim glow of firelight through the grime-streaked windows cast small pools of light on the muddy street like small beacons in the growing darkness of the evening. An increasingly steady cadence of rain beat on the tiled roof, though the sound was inaudible to those inside, drowned out by the clamour and commotion of patrons. The warm, lively atmosphere inside was a stark contrast to the utterly dismal weather that had been lingering in Taithros for the past several days. Grey skies and cold rain-- not the most promising conditions travellers could hope for. Whether or not it was an omen of the task at hand remained to be seen. For now, however, the cold and damp were far and away, staved off by warm fires, dry beds, and pleasant music. Most of all, there was privacy.

Perhaps a crowded tavern wasn't the place most would seek out for private affairs, especially not one doubling as a pleasure house. And located in the Imperial Capital, surrounded by patrols that could so easily mark the end of their endeavour. But, sometimes, hiding in plain sight was the easiest solution, and wasting an opportunity wasn't something the rebellion could afford-- not at the moment, anyway. And so, here they were, in a tavern in Taithros, right under the Emperor's beak of a nose.

Here's to hoping the good fortune lasts.

An odd insight, perhaps, considering what set them on this path to begin with. Exposure of plans and public beheading wasn't something Kholas considered "good fortune," but he'd held his tongue out of gratitude. Sniping at the pub owner who was risking her both life and livelihood to aid them wasn't worth the details. For the past week and a half, they'd been permitted to stay free of charge, paying only a minimal fee for food and drink. Now, the woman was permitting a full rebellion meeting to take place in her establishment and offering to put the others up free of charge as well. She'd done more than most. Perhaps she'd been wishing the good fortune for herself.

Stifling a yawn, the goblin shifted in his seat and tugged the dark wool cloak tighter around his slim shoulders and looked up at the nymph seated across from him. She looked paler than usual and slightly wilted, and he was sure that her extended stay in the city was not doing her any favours. Of course, he wasn't sure he was looking much better. Though not impacted by the waning of the world, he hadn't slept well lately, even in the warm, secure confines of the tavern.

While it wasn't uncommon for him to wake in the small hours of the morning to make notes, or even to forego sleep entirely to revisit plans, the increasing stress and anxiety around what they were about to attempt had taken its toll. Dark circles that even kohl couldn't hide rimmed his eyes and the tension that had settled on him after Kiernan's death had only increased, leaving him looking drawn and pale.

Between the two of them, they would cut an interesting image for those soon to arrive.

"You'd best perk up, Brambles," Kholas said dryly, smoothing out a scroll of paper against the table and glancing down at it. "You're starting to look like an aging bouquet. Doesn't inspire much confidence."

"No, I suppose it does not." Linnae smiled quietly to herself, nursing a full cup of liquid that smelled far too sweet to be any sort of liquor. "I thought that was why we kept you around, Sunshine. You always know just what to say."

The nymph hardly moved other than to tilt her head in her companion's general direction, letting her eyes shift the rest of the way to give Kholas a look of tired appreciation from behind the hood of her heavy green cloak. She was fatigued, yes, and she'd been confined within the walls of Taithros for too long. With the state of the world as it was, there was always an uncertain threat looming overhead-- manifested as an illness even she didn't understand.

Although passable for a human in the dim light, once up close it was more clear that Linnae was something else entirely. She kept her hood drawn at all times, but on the back of her head there were odd angles and folds where the branch-like protrusions on her head met the green cloth. Small leaves sprouted on her skin, although she hadn't seen any for weeks now. The most notable feature, aside from the literal branches in place of having a head of hair, were perhaps the bright red berries that framed her olive-toned face.

"Well, you usually know what to say." Linnae tapped the cup in her hands with her fingertips, the simple noise was immediately drowned out by the clamour and general rowdiness around them. "Commenting on the age of a woman? Oh, Kho. An aging bouquet, honestly."

She finally took a sip from the sickly sweet-scented liquid, downing half of its content in one gulp. Linnae knew what he really meant though. It was an appropriate metaphor.

"And here I thought you preferred honesty," the goblin mused as he continued to glance over the document spread on the table. How many people were going to show up? Two were expected, maybe even three, but beyond that, he could only guess. And hope. How many people had even received the letter? How many would come with such scant details and, of those, how many would be willing to risk everything?

Not that there were many options left.

Above them, Kholas could hear the bustle of the tavern as more and more patrons made their way in for the evening. He and Linnae were tucked away below the main room, down in the spacious storage cellar. Many of the crates and wine barrels had been shifted to make a den-like area around an old wood-burning stove. A circular, scrubbed wood table had been moved down for them, along with various chairs and a large rug. Their few belongings were tucked up on one of the several broken bedframes that had also been pushed aside.

A few twanging notes carried faintly down through the floor, followed by a raucous cheer from the patrons. A moment later, a bright voice began to sing.

• Hello and welcome to Heart of the World!

If you're looking for a fantasy save-the-world adventure with rebellion, a heist, and hippie communes, you've come to the right place! Take a look around and please be sure to read the rules! If you have any questions, let us know!

GM
    - @DinoFeather
    co-GM
    - @Lillian Gray

Rules and Guidelines

Adept Writers
    - Please be able to produce several solid paragraphs with relevant content and demonstrate a knowledge of the English language.

Active Players
    - We're asking for a minimum of one post per week to keep people active and interested! However, if something comes up and you need more time, or if you'll be inactive for a period but are still interested, please let us know-- real life always comes first!

Respectful Players
    - Drama? In character only! We're looking for good attitudes and respect for others. It's okay to have conflict now and then, but it will be resolved in a mature and respectful manner, or you're outta here. If you have an issue, please come to us.

GMs in Control
    - Please do not attempt to hijack the plot or attempt to spin the story to be only about your character. We aim to involve everyone, and if there is a special plot point you'd like to explore, please speak to us about it for approval. GM word is law.

Player Autonomy
    - Do not control other peoples' characters! Also, please don't conflate what you, the player, knows with what your character knows.

All Iwaku Rules Apply
    - If you are unfamiliar, please go review them!

Creative Contribution
    - Want to help us flesh out the world by adding a bit of your own content? Awesome! Have an idea you think we should try? Let us know! We want to hear from you, but we do need to approve ideas before they're just added in to the world.

Sense of Humour
    - While there will be serious moments, injury, and possibly even death, this is not intended to be a dark or "edgy" RP.

Mature Players
    - Preferred* There won't be graphic sex scenes in posts and what-have-you (PM the person, if that's your jam), but there will be strong language, violence, and lewd allusions.

And most importantly-- HAVE FUN!​

• The Randy Gander is three stories tall and standard "ye olde tavern." The interior is pretty clean and there are several bartenders, all wearing blue tunics or blouses. The main floor is the tavern area and is filled with numerous tables, there are stools at the bar, and there's a growing number of patrons. Toward the wall across from the bar is a slightly elevated platform where Brandi has just begun playing and singing.

Floors two and three are rooms for rent and where living quarters for the courtesans and owner are.

Upon asking for Chasma, they will meet you and you will be led down to a basement area where Kho and Linnae are waiting. Those with wards may notice there is a glamour up in the bar, though it is subtle and very well done. (They're going to tell you it's for a massive orgy, bring your good socks.) More likely, if another patron asks while they're walking, Chasma will call it the "basement affair, not open to the public." But yes, they're going to heavily imply it's a basement orgy. :D

B6u4L4r.jpg

Horned

Courtesan and Rebel Supporter

Descriptors: average height, androgynous, willowy, pleasant, soft-spoken

Magic: Subliminal - Soothing

Last edited:
  • Love

Kiernan Ó Ruairc
Human | 35 (Deceased) | Taitelle
Name:
Kiernan Ó Ruairc

Nickname:
Kiernan

Race:
Human

Home Territory:
Taitelle

Profession:
Former Magister and Research Fellow of the Magisterium Academy

Description:
Kiernan was a slight and unimposing individual, something which often belied his resilient nature. Despite somewhat unruly dark hair and his smattering of tattoos on his pale skin, he was tidy and generally presentable in the Academy.

Personality:
Kiernan was, at heart, a researcher and lover of nature. Perhaps because of his mentor or perhaps just an inherent affinity, he was always deeply connected to the natural world. Intense and highly focused, Kiernan was also obsessive in his work, methodical and meticulous. Because of his academic drive, he did not often make connections with people outside the academy, save for those introduced to him by his mentor, including the Nymph, Linnae. That is not to say that Kiernan was unfriendly or unkind, but he was often so consumed by his work, he had little time for those who were not affiliated with it.

When findings on the guard stones led him to pursue more in-depth research, leading to the unsettling revelation about the guard stones, Kiernan threw himself wholeheartedly into righting the wrongs done. When this was met with denial and resistance from the Empire, he secretly formed a coalition of like-minded individuals. Determined to do all in his power to restore the world, he poured all his attention, time, and resources into what became the rebellion. His research, which had involved work from his associate and later close friend, Kholas, had drawn the goblin in as well. Kiernan's fervor was infectious, and his passions were so genuine, that it was difficult for others to dismiss them.

Ultimately, however, it was Kiernan's dedication to his work and loyalty to his friends and the rebellion that sealed his fate. Unwilling to run from arrest, in hopes that others may be spared, Kiernan was publicly beheaded for treason and crimes against the Taitellen Empire.

Bio:
Largely unknown. What is known is that after the completion of his work as a student in the Academy, he was given an apprenticeship under a mentor. He then became a professor and research fellow, then went on to become a Magister before his death.

Magic:
Enchantment

Artist: Jane Katsubo

Last edited:
Classified Agency Profile
full name
Cairn Breckenridge
Role
Field Agent
ID Number
VS0713
Clearance
S-1
Pronouns
He/Him
home dimension
Gaea-3
Race
Harpy/Hybrid
Lifespan
250+ years
blood type
A+
skillset
Mystic
Hair color
Blond
Eye color
Blue
Height
6'4"
Build
Lanky
Description
Subject is human in appearance and stands at 6'4" with thin, athletic build. Severe, sharply-angled face has long features and pallid complexion with dark rings under the eyes; eyes are light blue-grey. Hair is medium-length blond and often worn unstyled. Subject has unusually sharp teeth. No tattoos or other identifying marks.
weapons
knives
rifle
dagger
skills
problem-solving
information extraction
infiltration
special abilities
commune with dead
decomposition magic
exceptional vision
personality
Subject is clever and efficient problem-solver with little patience for ostentation or argument; highly averse to intrigue and drama, not recommended for diplomacy or intel. Subject does not mince words; appears to appreciate intelligence and wit when not inciting tedium. Despite subject's surly demeanour, appears to possess a considerate nature; refuses to harm innocent people and does not revel in violence. Deals well with grief and is surprisingly apt at comforting bereaved; unflinching when dealing with graphic scenes; initially acquired as homicide consultant.

Note: subject has demonstrated tendency to refuse orders perceived as "malicious" or "unnecessary," and can become noncompliant. Due to new appointment as Field Agent, oversight is highly recommended.
plants
seafood
cool weather
dislikes
drama
avarice
cruelty
sunburns
key traits
level-headed
straightforward
enduring
disaffected
extra
capricorn, hufflepuff, earth bender; he can technically transform into his deity aspect, but he does it incredibly rarely and it makes him hella tired
Cairn Breckenridge | 3271.5

Last edited:
Gaea-3 - Moderate Tech
Capital
Storith
Day length
24 Hours
imports
Palladium; Platinum
Space flight?
Limited
Population
5.2 Billion
Surface temp
15 C
exports
Live Specimens; Textiles
Magic?
Yes
Overview
Gaea-3, known to its denizens simply as "Gaea," is an invitingly habitable dimension with standard gravity and a 24-hour rotational period. It has a relatively large population for being a younger dimension and life is scattered throughout the planet. One moon orbits the planet and, while voyages have landed on the satellite, no structures have been built there. Gaea-3 is a dimension rife with magic, which has helped give rise to their early technological advances.

The capital city of Storith is, more or less, a utopia of long-lived, highly diverse races. As such, there is no one race that is dominant in this dimension.
Climate
Gaea-3 is widely varied in it's climate. With large continental landmasses, each encompassing a range of climates, there is life distributed world-wide. Much of the temperate regions are deciduous forest and grassland, with tropical and sub-tropical regions along the planet's equator. The polar regions are cold enough to deter civilizations, though some wildlife may be found there.

The geographic features are numerous and varied with standard tectonic movement. Nearly 60% of the planet is covered in ocean, and the landmasses are split into eight continents, along with numerous archipelagos and large islands.

The capital is located on the largest landmass in a sub-tropical climate, located near the coast, though many other cities which rival the capital in size can be found all over the planet.
Native Species
Boasting a great diversity in terms of races, Gaea-3 is home to many unusual denizens. While most are capable of assuming a human-like appearance, there are others who are somewhat humanoid, and some who appear to be combinations of human and animal. There is no distinct classifications for these races, as they identify as collectively Gaean and then by their race, many of which are combinations of genetics.

Despite the many physical differences, Gaeans appear to operate on the same level of consciousness and intelligence. With the development of technology, some magically enhanced, cities and facilities are openly accessible to all, particularly in the capital city of Storith which is a metropolis of impressive diversity. Storith also serves as the technological hub of this dimension.

Magic, though a large part of the dimension's history, is largely considered a mundane art as all Gaeans possess some magical aptitude, though the need for it has largely been replaced by technology. What magic is used is often used in combination with technology, giving Gaea-3 a developmental advantage. As such, this dimension, though somewhat young compared to many, has already achieved space travel, though they are currently only able to venture as far as their moon.
Advisory Notices
Gaeans are unusually long-lived compared to many other races and have a somewhat different perception of time. The people of this dimension are, by and large, friendly though they exhibit a strong curiosity for other worlds. Use extreme caution when discussing any matters pertaining to SID or inter-dimensional travel.

It should be noted that some variants of Gaean possess unusual magical abilities, many of which are still undocumented. Please be advised that hypnosis, telekinesis, and telepathy have been observed.

Despite it's advanced civilization, Gaea 3 still harbours many dangerous creatures in its wildernesses. Use caution when travelling outside major cities or when trying to subdue or obtain living specimens.
SID Dimension Guide

Last edited:
Sanguis Exita - Low Tech
Capital
Lux Tenebris
Day length
36 Hours
imports
Silver; Textiles
Space flight?
No
Population
8.3 Million
Surface temp
12 C
exports
Live Specimens
Magic?
Yes
Overview
Sanguis Exita is a relatively small world that orbits an orange dwarf star. The atmosphere of the planet is moderately dense, often filled with particles kicked up in the planet's many storms. As an effect, the sky of this world often appear to have a reddish glow, particularly in the evening. Despite its small size, the planet's dense core generates a low-standard gravitational pull, though it is advised not to spend extended periods here due to physical complications. See Advisory for more.

Overall, Sanguis Exita is a cool, dark dimension with numerous storms that sweep the planet. Its capital city, Lux Tenebris serves as a sort of stronghold against the ferocious creatures who call it home. This dimension is known for its unusual and macabre festivals, as well as the importance of its export in live specimens.
Climate
Cool and dark due to the presence of particles in its atmosphere, Sanguis Exita has a relatively stable climate, though its weather conditions vary greatly as violent storms frequently sweep the surface of the planet. Due to slight axial tilt, Sanguis Exita does experience seasonal change, but due to the northern position of the capital city were most of the dimension's denizens reside, there is a short growing season. Because of the harsh conditions and difficult terrain, crops are limited to cold weather species.

The planet has one large Pangaea-like landmass surrounded by ocean. Many regions are mountainous or covered by boreal forest. Some areas to the south are covered in a dense marsh, punctuated by barren scrubland.
Native Species
The dominant, sentient race of Sanguis Exita is a form of modified human. Taller and thinner than other variants of human, the denizens of Sanguis Exita are adapted to their lessened gravity, though they are no less formidable. Possessing more pronounced tendons and ligaments than standard humans, SE humans are fast, agile, and strong, making them well-equipped to deal with the monstrous creatures that roam this dimension. These humans have also adapted to their short growing season by supplementing their diets with blood.

Hunting and blood are staples in the culture of Sanguis Exita, providing protection, status, and resources. The creatures they hunt, thought to be the result of a disease, vary greatly in size, shape, and ferocity, though all pose a threat. From a young age, SE humans are taught to hunt and fight, with the most successful being apprenticed to Master Hunters. Those who boast the greatest hunting prowess have the highest social standing in the lavish society of Lux Tenebris. Despite their adoration of violence and blood, the denizens of this dimension are not notably violent toward each other and possess a taste for finery, often importing fine textiles for grandiose homes.

Master Crafters, though not Hunters, are just as widely revered. Responsible for crafting the intricate weapons used against the creatures, Master Crafters work almost exclusively in silver. Those who are not successful hunters serve as the lower class and most often employ the aid of skilled hunters for defense, as they are more subject to attacks living on the outskirts of the capital. As work, the lower class often serve as miners in the mineral-rich mountains, or as farmers, working the little viable land.

One of the most notable elements of the culture of Sanguis Exita is their love of festivals. One festival in particular, the Festival of the Beast, is particularly gruesome, though it is the highlight of their year. Creatures of all forms are captured and brought into the capital, where fighting rings are established to test new hunters' skill. Vast markets are setup throughout the city, and the heads of slain beasts are displayed in celebration. The festival culminates in several days of frenzied debauchery, induced by herbs added to the blood drained from captured beasts, which is then consumed by the festival goers. It is not advised to visit this dimension during the first week of the third month, when this festival is taking place.
Advisory Notices
Extreme caution is advised when confronting or attempting to subdue or capture any of the creatures from this dimension. They are incredibly powerful and most conventional weapons have little effect on them. If planning to make a capture, we strongly advise enlisting the aid of one a Master Hunter who can assist and supply agents with appropriate weapons.

Also note that the gravity in this dimension is 5.1m/s² and can cause physical issues if extended time is spent here.
SID Dimension Guide

Last edited:
Medius - High Tech
Capital
Magnus
Day length
30 Hours
imports
Metals, live specimens
Space flight?
Yes
Population
2 Billion
Surface temp
23 C
exports
Tech
Magic?
No
Overview
Medius is a medium-sized world that orbits a yellow dwarf star. The atmosphere of the planet is somewhat thick, giving the world a sub-tropical climate. Expansive regions around the planet's equator are tropical and comprised largely of dense rainforest. There are occasional storms that impact the many coastlines of this world, but overall the planet it hospitable and pleasant.

The atmosphere and climate are heavily modified and managed by the residents of Medius, as they lost their former home to the ravages of climate change and depletion of natural resources.

Medius is one of, if not the most technogically-advanced dimensions known.
Climate
Warm and sunny, Medius is the picture of an island paradise. Comprised of two main land masses and numerous archipeligos, Medius is lined with beaches leading into emerald waters. The slight axial tilt goes give slight seasonal change near the poles, but the weather never dips below freezing, leaving the worlds dense rainforests to flourish.

There are many mountain ranges along the island chains, some of which are volcanic, though the eruptions are infrequent and mild. With the seasonal changes, there come tropical storms, though they too are infrequent and often quite mild..
Native Species
The current residents of Medius are not native to the world. When humans arrived in Medius, they were forced to cull the violent native species of sentient lifeform. When recolation efforts failed, the native species, small, primitive, and highly aggressive humanoid creatures were deemed a threat to colonists, and were carefully removed.

Colonists also worked to eliminate threats from the larger native wildlife, leaving those that were easily domesticated and beneficial. Since its settlement, Medius now has several domestic species which provide reliable food farms and companion animals.

Dangerous wildlife can still be found on Medius, particularly in the world's oceans and dense rainforests, however, cities are protected by barriers and tech to ensure citizen safety.
Advisory Notices
Medius is home to The Federation of Dimensions, which is located in the capital, Magnus. Located on the largest land mass, Magnus is an immense city that is a shining beacon of technological advancement.

Disclosure of FOD information to residents in any dimension is a criminal offense. Intentional spread of information or misinformation concerning activities of the FOD, even throughout Medius, is a Level 1 criminal offense and is punishable to the fullest extent.
SID Dimension Guide

Last edited: