Terminator Genisys: Advice

• Welcome back, Iwaku! While we are still working on the site to get it back into shape, we've come back online so you can get back to doing what you love. Check out this announcement for more details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Saito Hajime

If you're going to see Terminator: Genisys any time soon, keep this in mind;

Dipper

Cookiemaster
Roleplay Invitations
Not Taking RP Invites at this Time
Posting Speed
One Post a Day, A Few Posts a Week, One Post a Week
My Usual Online Time
Shake a tin of dice and tell me what numbers they give you.
Writing Levels
Adept, Advanced, Adaptable
Genders You Prefer Playing
Male
Playing Style- Passive or Aggressive
I bounce between the two depending on the roleplay.
Favorite Genres
Sci-Fi and Fantasy are my favorites. I'm always on the hunt for these.
Genre You DON'T Like
Anime, Furry, Drama, Modern Fantasy
I think everybody expects crazy time-travel stuff from the Terminator at this point.

S

Saito Hajime

I think everybody expects crazy time-travel stuff from the Terminator at this point.
Yes, but that's not the only reason to keep that clip in mind ;)

SlamifiedBuddafied

My God, it's full of stars and eyes!
Roleplay Invitations
Group Roleplays, Chat Roleplays
Aggressive

Though I usually wing it as long as possible before truly laying out a set story arc.
Favorite Genres
Fantasy, Scifi, Fiction-Fictional balanced, realism, horror, supernatural... I tend to cover alot of bases.
Genre You DON'T Like
Yaoi, Furry, romance, sexually orientated

I think you get the picture.
Kyle Reese must die.
I may be mistaken, but I believe that is a constant no matter what other variables may change.
Kyle Reese, must die.

Darog

Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Roleplay Invitations
Group Roleplays, One on One Roleplays
Posting Speed
One Post a Week
Writing Levels
Adaptable
I'm fine with both, actually.
Favorite Genres
High/Dark Fantasy, Science fiction (Preferably the more earth or single planet kinds) Steampunk/Cyberpunk, Horror, Modern with a twist.
Genre You DON'T Like
Yaoi, Furry, purely Romance.
God they've butchered the timeline established within Terminator 1 and 2 so fuckin much that I'm just done with the sequels now.

As far as I'm concered, the sequels after 2 are Non-canon.

Gwazi Magnum

Previously Gwazi Magnum
Roleplay Invitations
Group Roleplays
Posting Speed
A Few Posts A Day, One Post a Day, A Few Posts a Week
My Usual Online Time
This changes too frequently to give anything reliable.
Writing Levels
Intermediate, Adept
Male
I would say I'm generally Passive.

But I will sometimes want to get my hands dirty and directly influence the plot.
Favorite Genres
Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Adventure.

Kestrel

Voices on
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
A Few Posts a Week, One Post a Week, Slow As Molasses
Writing Levels
Douche
Male, Female
Leaning towards aggressive.
Favorite Genres
Action & Adventure, Fantasy, Space Opera, Modern Fantasy, Western, combinations thereof, etc.
Genre You DON'T Like
High-school, slice of life, etc.
Gonna make a drinking game out of it. That will work just as well.

Asmodeus

Gazorpazorpdeus
Posting Speed
Speed of Light
Me and Tegan worked out that Terminator and Titanic are part of a shared universe.

At the start of Titanic, Jack doesn't have any currency from the current time period. He needs to gamble to get on the ship. Also, he repeatedly makes references to landmarks that haven't yet been built in 1912.

We believe that he is a Resistance Fighter from the future, sent back to save Rose from drowning herself, because she is the great-grandmother of John Connor.

The machines tried to kill Rose in 1912, by sending a Liquid Metal Terminator to take the form of a stealth iceberg that would sink the ship.

They almost succeeded.

John's message to his great grandmother Rose? My heart will go on. A veiled reference to the climax of Terminator Salvation, in which John receives a new heart from whatshisnuts.

C

Cpt Toellner

Me and Tegan worked out that Terminator and Titanic are part of a shared universe.

At the start of Titanic, Jack doesn't have any currency from the current time period. He needs to gamble to get on the ship. Also, he repeatedly makes references to landmarks that haven't yet been built in 1912.

We believe that he is a Resistance Fighter from the future, sent back to save Rose from drowning herself, because she is the great-grandmother of John Connor.

The machines tried to kill Rose in 1912, by sending a Liquid Metal Terminator to take the form of a stealth iceberg that would sink the ship.

They almost succeeded.

John's message to his great grandmother Rose? My heart will go on. A veiled reference to the climax of Terminator Salvation, in which John receives a new heart from whatshisnuts.
You lost me at iceberg terminator.

jared555

Hostman / BOFH
SERVER TECHNICIAN
DONATING MEMBER
God they've butchered the timeline established within Terminator 1 and 2 so fuckin much that I'm just done with the sequels now.

As far as I'm concered, the sequels after 2 are Non-canon.
Depending on which real life time travel theory you go by it actually works fine.

If you go off of the theory that when you go back and change things you are actually creating a separate 'branch' it doesn't wipe out the other timelines. They actually very vaguely mention this at one point in the new movie and it is the only way a lot of the stuff in any of the movies has a chance of working.

Minerva

I Guess Everything Reminds you of Something
Roleplay Invitations
Group Roleplays, One on One Roleplays, Private Convo Roleplays
Posting Speed
Speed of Light, Several Posts a Day
My Usual Online Time
Roughly 9:30 AM-2:30 AM (CST)
Writing Levels
Give-No-Fucks, Intermediate, Advanced, Adaptable
Male, Female
Passive-Aggressive. I like steering the plot, but will be Passive when it calls for it.
Favorite Genres
Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Alt History, Anything really. It honestly depends on how I'm feeling. I am always up for a good, solid Cyberpunk RP. I'm also up for Crossover RPs.
Genre You DON'T Like
I get easily bored with ordinary Slice-Of-Life RPs that don't have anything to break up the action.
Is the point of the Terminator films to retcon the films before it?

Dervish

The Dastardly Pirate
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
A Few Posts a Week
Writing Levels
Adept, Advanced, Adaptable
I do top and bottom.

I mean, wut.
Favorite Genres
Fantasy, Scifi, Historical Fiction, Horror, Select fandoms
Genre You DON'T Like
School settings, typical supernatural settings, zombies, superheroes, plot devoid pairings, crossovers, anything that has to be advertised "WITH A TWIST!"
I haven't seen a Terminator film since 3. I thought Salvation looked turbo silly (plus Christian Bale's infamous PMS fest really wasn't endearing), and then this one just looked like they should have let the franchise die a long time ago. Also, spoiling your big ass plot twist in the trailer is a super cinema sin that there's literally no point in watching the movie, and I can't say I care to see how they resolve it.

Does Sarah Connor state like 17 titles every time she introduces herself? Khaleesi, plz.

Brovo

Ferret Dad
Roleplay Invitations
Group Roleplays, One on One Roleplays, Private Convo Roleplays
Posting Speed
A Few Posts a Week, One Post a Week, Slow As Molasses
My Usual Online Time
Afternoons and evenings, some weekends.
Writing Levels
Intermediate, Adept, Advanced, Prestige, Douche, Adaptable
Male, Female, Primarily Prefer Male, Primarily Prefer Female
Either or, depends on players/partner.
Favorite Genres
Fantasy, Science Fiction, Post Apocalypse, Horror, Romance, Survival...
Genre You DON'T Like
... High School, "Slice of Life".
Is the point of the Terminator films to retcon the films before it?
The point of the Terminator films is murderous robots. If you're looking for more from the franchise than that, you're going to be sorely disappointed. :ferret:

Spaceguitar

I am King of the Wicker-People
Roleplay Invitations
Group Roleplays, One on One Roleplays, Chat Roleplays
Posting Speed
A Few Posts A Day
Writing Levels
Give-No-Fucks, Advanced, Prestige, Adaptable
Male
Aggressive
Favorite Genres
Scifi, Fantasy, Modern, Magical, Horror
Genre You DON'T Like
Yaoi, Furry, High School
It was meh.

C

Cpt Toellner

The point of the Terminator films is murderous robots. If you're looking for more from the franchise than that, you're going to be sorely disappointed. :ferret:
This. I haven't seen the movie, but this. We have to stop applying the same level of criticism to every movie. Some are meant to make you think, some are meant to make you feel something, and others are mean to please the dumb kid inside us all.

It's the reason I think Pacific Rim was one of the greatest movies in the last few years, it was fun, exciting, and was a homage to the old monster movies (also it's portrayal of characters and nationalities was like a live-action anime). People who try picking these type of movies apart and questioning every bit of logic are missing the point and need to relax.

Hellis

"How can you score when this alien's a predator?"
Roleplay Invitations
Group Roleplays
Writing Levels
Adept, Advanced, Douche, Adaptable
Male
Passive-Agressive? hah. I alternate.
Favorite Genres
Fantasy, Surreal, Contemporary Science Fiction, Science Fiction, Terribly written schlock.
Genre You DON'T Like
Furry. Not my thing, sorry.
This. I haven't seen the movie, but this. We have to stop applying the same level of criticism to every movie. Some are meant to make you think, some are meant to make you feel something, and others are mean to please the dumb kid inside us all.

It's the reason I think Pacific Rim was one of the greatest movies in the last few years, it was fun, exciting, and was a homage to the old monster movies (also it's portrayal of characters and nationalities was like a live-action anime). People who try picking these type of movies apart and questioning every bit of logic are missing the point and need to relax.
Some of us were simply annoyed by the america-superior shitfest that squandered the cooler designs and worfed the more unique looking charachters for the sake of Amarican-Brand souless pretty boy and "Totally not the chick from Mirrors Edge.".

Idris was the saving grace.

Mari

Edgebaron
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
A Few Posts A Day
My Usual Online Time
06:00-07:00, 18:00-20:00 (Japan Standard Time)
Writing Levels
Intermediate
Female
Balanced
Favorite Genres
Scifi, Fandom, Fantasy, Modern, Romance
I liked it, Terminator Genisys was a very enjoyable movie.

Arcadia

Frost Queen
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
Several Posts a Day
My Usual Online Time
11AM GMT- 10:30PM GMT (Weekends) 5:00PM GMT- 10:30 GMT (Weekdays)
Writing Levels
Elementary, Intermediate, Adept
Male, Female, Transgender, Primarily Prefer Female
Aggressive. If I have an idea for a fantasy 1x1, I will design it to the fullest extent I can and then share it with my partner to see what they think, as I am a fan of expanding the various areas of lore and nature within a sandbox universe, such as a bestiary of typical creatures to be found in said universe, a dictionary of gods and godly artifacts, and even maps to the realms of said gods. In other people's roleplays however, I prefer to be passive if it is a group setting, or if it is not a group sandbox.
Favorite Genres
Fantasy, Post Apocolypse Sci Fi, Fantasy Modern, High Fantasy, High Fantasy Sandbox, D&D 5E, Pathfinder.
Genre You DON'T Like
Modern, Slice of Life.
I liked it, Terminator Genisys was a very enjoyable movie.
I second this. For what it was, it was very enjoyable.

Roleplay Invitations
Saw this movie the other day. It was good and actually worth the 3D.

Hehe I love you, Pops.

Asmodeus

Gazorpazorpdeus
Posting Speed
Speed of Light
I think you're selling Cameron a little short there. The first two films were anything but an elaborate slasher fic. You had a love story followed by a revenge story, interlaced with themes of parenthood and extinction. Reducing it to "cool robots fuckin' shit up" is what ruined the third and fourth installment. They dropped the emotional ball.

Terminator didn't become a massive franchise because of Arnold or because the robots were "exceptionally cool" (although they were). It was the concept and how the characters carried it through.

*slaps a Debate tag on the thread and gets out his jar of goose fat*

Status
Not open for further replies.