Tenuous Conviction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Through the narrow hall, the walls dotted with plain wooden doors, two figures pushed past people, moving as quickly as their white robes would allow without tearing the fine byssus silk. Had they known how little time they had, they might have ignored caution and disregarded the cost of another such robe but they were not fully informed; information vital to their knowledge was too imprecise no matter how they wished they could extract more cooperation from their informants. As the pair approached their destination, their bated breath was exhaled in a bitter stream from between pursed lips; from the inside of the door they stood behind came the discordant mewling of two newborn babes crying at the same time.

A faint ray of hope prompted them to knock at the door still, loudly to be heard over the sound of the infants by the people within. The pair moved in perfect symmetry, more one person divided than two separate individuals working in tandem. Identical in height, their faces shadowed by the hoods of their robes, they were indistinguishable from one another, a fact that did not fail to unsettle the man who answered the door moments later. Relief, however, quickly washed over his face when he saw them and it was their turn to be perplexed; confusion angered the pair, they seldom had to encounter the same emotions as others and they were loathe to start with such a dissatisfactory one on this most auspicious day. At his beckoning, they followed him into the room expectantly, preparing to ask him the question that would validate their presence in this room, along with the harrowing journey they had undertaken in an attempt to arrive in time to witness the birth of the children.

Of the two robed figures, the one on the left began to speak at the same instant as the doctor did, causing the entire room to fall silent. In the air hung the voices of both the doctor and what was now clearly a woman by the voice. "Which child was born first?" she has hissed, falling to stunned silence when she registered his statement "You're the last family these children have left". Sharp glances from the pair to the bed confirmed the lifeless form of the mother, their sister, draped with a sheet. Judging by the doctor's baleful stare, they correctly assumed he had paid more attention to the failing health of the mother than to which of the infants had arrived first.

After a period of unbroken quiescence, the doctor nodded his head awkwardly at the taciturn statues before hastily departing to leave them in what he assumed to be grief. His assessment was incorrect; the hushed air lay dead in the wake of their calculated analysis. At last, quietly, they approached the basinet that cradled the newborns and received the second shock of their day. They lowered their hoods for a better view, exposing their femininity, the only commonality in their visages once the hoods were dropped. Unlike them, the infants were not of the same gender and this excluded them from carriage of the same destiny. For the first time in their lives, the somber women made a decision that came without extended study, the first truly foolish decision that they had made since the day they were born. Each lifted a child into the air with apathetic hands, exposing the full length of their tiny bodies. The female child began to cry again, only comforted into quietness when one of the sisters stroked the fine hair atop its head, marveling in the coloration. It was a sign, they decided simultaneously, a female child with hair as white as virgin snow.

In the dead of the night, the male child, as dark in hair as his sister was fair, was left for dead curled in the embrace of his dead mother but still he did not cry. There the child would have died, had a curious nurse not discreetly lifted the blanket to see the mother one last time.

I know not how it began
Only that it will end
Like all other things
Still I am hoping that it won't

In form, it was so delicate
Quite easy to overlook
Yet it was growing rapidly
Building itself away from my sight

And so it went unnoticed
Until I began to feel its pressure
Pushing against my ribcage
Blooming as a rose would do

Clasping my hand to my chest
For the first time, it gave me pain
Exhilarating though, this ache
Ecstasy and agony in the same

So I looked to you for answer
But found it was a mistake
Your eyes did not see this blossom
Nor did they know its sustenance

Thus, I hid it away instead
Concealing all the pain
Reveling in its purest joy
Casting a wish that you might know

I really, really love this poem. There's a deep power within the words and message and sentiment being shared. It's like the speaker is opening up their heart, only to seal it up again before anything can happen.

Thank you! :3

Before I knew you
I was unscathed but not whole
Unrealized and aching with nameless need

And then I spoke to you
Awoke with stunning clarity
Found for the first time desire

Like a slow dance in a darkened street
Keeping time with just the movement
Of both of our feet as we sway together
One in the same but so far apart
This is the hour we waited for and now
At least I wish I could turn back the clock
Back to when things were warm and tender
There was nothing that had yet been lost
Still, I will regret nothing nor will I repent
Nothing you can say will change my decision
Nor will I do the leaving, that's just something
You'll have to do on your own, since on my own
I'd hold on forever, this I'm sure that you know
Be the one to break up this lovely dance and
Bring the dawn that we can see where we're standing

Dark shadows creep across the room
While the morning wakes up all around
Sunlight streams through the windows now
Onto the bed that lays still and cold
Reaching out for the figure whose hair spilled
Across the pillows like a fallen halo
Brings you nothing but the realization
She's something that you managed to lose
Nothing now will bring her back
She's faded like steam into the rising sun
All that's on your lips is her name
For you, however, there's nothing else left
Still, looking into your heart you know
Another man will not let her go as easily
While you mourn everything she meant
She was all you needed, and you let her leave

Call me fatalist for all that I feel
The end inevitable for every romance
Passion is more fleeting the sweeter the kiss
But still I am not discouraged by this

I see the sun in you and it blinds me
And I know that you've seen the spark
In me too, just beneath the surface
Flame that will ignite us both until we burn

Like leaves caught on the breeze that twirl
Without meaning, into the flames
So shall we be, you and I together
Caught in the breeze that fans our demise

Sunlight falls into golden pools
Beneath his faraway expression
Washes warmly across the features
She knows all too well

Without blinding, this light begins
To illuminate these nuances and
Touches her heart with liquid strokes
Until she cannot look away from him

She calls him by his name or at times
Refer to him only as her faith
Either name brings a smile to her face
Secret expressions meant for his eyes

In the sunlight, I can still see you
Reflection on glittering strands
Creating a golden halo whose beauty
You do not deserve, not then and not now

Elegance hid a darkened soul
While suave words tinged with warmth
Concealed a will much weaker than I knew
Still, for a time, I believed in you

There was a time when I saw us
Pictures in my mind's eye of love
And such ephemeral fleeting things, like trust
Your soft smile claimed its victim in me

Bitterness is not in my nature
Suffering instead with silent eyes and closed lips
Watching you with the knowledge of impending supernova
Holding on long enough that we end in dignity

There we found you on the floor
Cold and lifeless where we left you
Pitiful creature that you are
We stepped on your throat until
There was nothing left to be called
Alive; that was when we made our way
Past the ruins of what was once a man
Celebrated our triumph until the night was old
With the creeping dawn we snuck
Back through the decrepit halls
To kiss your lips good morning like the sun

The eternity that spanned in those moments
When we thought that we were chosen
We were certain that we would be one
Was perhaps a mockery or at best
A vision from another time and place
For it is uncertain if we could ever truly be
Claims you can make that you're a being of passion
Yet it was I who made the mistake on lust and alcohol
Not you, who ponders the treachery and thinks upon it
What possible love could there be when you plan
The breaking of all that is us and all that I loved of you?

This is not perfection in any way
Nor will I pretend that we are whole
For it would be untrue - we are broken
Beyond where I can repair you or
You could try to fix what I am
No expectations bind us to one another
Instead we are freefalling together
Learning to embrace the wind
Pretending forever with illusions

Seul, m'écriai-je, une nuit cassés
Comme si la nuit était tout ce
J'ai été incapable de voir une aube
Pourtant, l'aube est venu quand même et m'a aveuglé
Avec sa lumière, je vois que je vais survivre

Merci pour cette leçon

Chastised
Depressed
Heartless
Distressed
Now broken
I give and I
Surrender

[align=left]
How does one qualify their life?

Is it in the amount of people they've loved
Perhaps the people that have loved them
Even the number of lives that they changed
Progeny set on the path to a successful life
Monuments that they have created
Or just the people who may remember them

Everyone that you have ever loved will die
Those who thought of you will find memories receding until
Only now and then will you ever cross their thoughts at all
Your children may well cause the suffering of many
All the monuments will one day crumble to dust
With time, only photographs will recall your features

What have you given to this world?
[/align]

All alone
And if I told you that I was sad
Would you believe me now,
As I am, stubborn and irreverent
Or would it slip your mind and
You would say that there's nothing
To worry about, no nothing at all
Though there isn't anything
But is it dark to say that the monsters
Are on parade tonight, running through
My mind, taking over now and then
Until it's all we are and start over again
Finding a better place for a new beginning
Hollowed out with nothing inside we search
For the familiar and we find it, till we're here
Alone with the rot and the filth and the darkness

Speak to me of everything that is so fleeting
Things like silence or of a frozen heart that refuses
To realize when its end is near and instead keeps beating
Still, I need you and want you more than words can express
So stilled into wordlessness I wish that I could show you
Reveal the wound unhealed that still yearns for you, but I digress

You held me, you had me, what happened to this?
Brought me close to your chest and dismissed with a kiss
Turned to snow and to poison, never thought I would miss...
Your every empty word nothing more than a prelude to an abyss
Fallen and broken, still wanting to believe in the promise of bliss.

Lift your eyes to the stars that shine above you
While these arms will hold secure and safe
Your resonance is clear, crystal like a bell
Perfect pitch in tune with the world surrounding
As well as the hum of my own consciousness
Still we are not a song to keep repeating tired verses
You and I are not the tune but the spirit
Even when the harmony is broken, we will rise again

Words fall useless into the puddles
Gathered alongside the sidewalk, thick with filth
Yet I can see what has created them, their pure source
Snowflakes falling down to the ground still unsullied

Speechless without words to say
Uncertain what to do or where I stand
Like the prisms catching light in their descent
I make not a sound and blend with the thousands of others

Sometimes at night I can still feel the familiar burn
Singe of flesh and the intoxication that goes with it
Just a memory now, reliving the way that we felt
Sitting with you in the dark wishing we weren't so far apart
Longing to know what magic we would create through
The alchemy and transformation of a single heartbeat
Feeling the crescendo of the moonlight in our chemistry
Until the storms came and I couldn't hold you to me
Breaking us apart until I don't know who you are
Only that you'll always be everything in the world
No matter if this time turns lovers into friends
Remember for now and then, that I said yes

Just collecting my challenge entries here, for my own reference...​

Frozen beneath the glances of all who gazed upon her, the woman in the glass coffin could not have even been aware of the eyes that appraised her beauty or the longing in their gaze. Her porcelain skin was ice to the touch, frozen paler than it had been in life until it seemed to take on the hue of pristine snow, reflecting the frost that locked her beneath its spell. Pale blue lips were set in a serene line, appearing to be faintly smiling or perhaps merely content, their emotion uncertain. One could not look into her eyes, though many fantasized the no doubt clear and beautiful irises to be crystalline blue, as they were closed tightly shut as if to will away the chill. Her lashes, however, fanned across her cheek in gossamer lines of inky black that contrasted sharply with her pallid cheekbones.

Despite her appearance of ghastly hypothermia, it was oddly soothing for those who made the pilgrimage just to see her laying still in the glass coffin, her body cradled in white satin. The jet black waves of hair that fell in a neat cascade across her shoulders only added to the halcyon aura that radiated from her, adorned as they were with wisps of white blossoms. Everyone who pressed their yearning fingertips to the glass would have sworn that she seemed timeless, a relic of eternity. No one knew, however, how she had come to rest in this beautiful box secluded on a mountain or who had so lovingly placed her in it, adding even the flowers to her hair. No one, that is, save the one who came once a month to sit with her and read stories from a book.

He was old, now, bundled in wool and finding it harder to climb every time to see her. However, he had not been this way when she had known him, and that was some consolation to him. When the woman, nicknamed Snow White by those who kept her body company, had been alive, the man had been young and full of dreams. He ran a hand through his hair, now thin and gray, to sweep loose strands from his face before opening up the book that he carried with him. The first page bore an illustration painstakingly done of a lovely woman whose hair was thick and black, her eyes a glittering blue. In the portrait, she was smiling warmly enough to have melted the snow around her now. The old man traced the drawing with his fingertips, his eyes welling up with tears.

Finally, the man began to read from the book, his voice trembling some but his eyes were closed. Every word was memorized as he recited the story once more. It began with a headstrong young man, barely more than a child himself, fresh from battle and fiercely proud of his own strength. This vassal had been granted a fief upon which to live, a reward for his fealty and service. Among those servants whom he employed to keep his land and home, there had been the young daughter of a man who cared for the fields. She'd been educated to take care of things in the small home granted to the man, but she was more clever than just housework.

The arrogant vassal had stumbled upon her by accident and found her reading a book from his library, lent to her in secret by the cook. Instead of growing angry, he was fascinated by the glow in her eye as she read the passages aloud to a younger child, the animated way her face moved as she spoke the lines of a character. The moment where he was enchanted was fugacious, for she happened to lift her gaze and saw the vassal standing at the door which caused her to leap up at once. Her apology was swift but stumbling as she begged him not to grow angry with her. He assured her that he was not angry and bade her to read more from the book. She declined, her cheeks red, and handed him back the book. He accepted it and returned to his chambers, but he could not shake the sweet curve of her smile from his thoughts.

He might never have spoken to her again, had fortune smiled upon her as it could have done. However, an inimical turn of events caused her father to come down with fever. She was kept away as he died slowly, along with her younger brother. She was distraught, with no dowry to her name and nothing to recommend herself for marriage, finding herself completely alone in the world without a penny. On a whim, the vassal asked her to stay on for him, aiding the cooks in the kitchen. Unlike that of the girl, the vassal's future was on the rise and his star was increasing in brightness.

Soon, his home became a gathering for many important figures who were intent to match the vassal with their female relatives. He was presented with daughters, sisters, and cousins whose looks surpassed what had once been his wildest dreams. However, he could not see them, his eyes turned on the simple grace of the cook's assistant. He could not gaze into the face of another woman without thinking of the twinkling eyes when the girl had read from the book. No smile could compare. Before he knew what he had done, he became so overcome with feeling one day that he took her hand in his own and confessed his thoughts of her. She'd been demure, but won over by his earnestness as he told her how he felt.

When their lips met, they had thought themselves in private, yet the prying eyes of the outside world saw this display with calculating fury. Her daughter had been scorned, her chances dashed by no more than a mere servant girl? The noblewoman bore this an outrage, took it as insult. It could not be so, that such a woman could have won the vassal's heart. Thus, she forged a letter to the man, pretending to be the king requesting him travel to the palace. She had even painstakingly attempted to mimic the royal seal. Not a day after he'd left, she sent another letter. This time, it was addressed to the girl. The letter plead her to travel across the mountain, to the village on the other side. The letter begged it of her, claiming that the vassal was barely clinging to life.

With a courageous heart, the girl set out to the mountain, but a blizzard met her before she could complete her journey. She froze to death in the snow, her fingers clutching the note. Following her tracks and the whispers of the other servants, the man located the girl but he was not in time to save her from the embraced of death.

Gripping the hand of the man next to her, she tried to catch her breath in the relative safety of their present location. The copse of trees offered some reprieve from the bedlam that they had just escaped but she did not yet know if they were safe. The shouts faded, indicating that they were moving away from her hiding spot. Quickly, she emerged from hiding with the hand of her companion clutched tightly in her own. She was practically dragging him along but he did not seem to mind. The sound of them running was loud, they broke sticks and rustled leaves beneath their feet as well as disturbing birds who squawked loudly at the pair.

Their destination was close at hand, but they froze in place before reaching it. The intent had been to hide in a small shack, dendroid in appearance from careful attempts to disguise it from circumspect eyes, until the coast was clear. The problem with the situation, of course, was that the hideout had clearly been discovered. The look of shock on both of their faces mirrored how they felt, mixed with some indignation and a touch of fear. All of their work as hiding this place from outside glances had failed and now, they had nowhere to go. Blazoned on the entrance to the shack were letters written in bright red paint, warning that the rebels who had resided there were wanted by the crown.

Glancing to her companion, the woman backed away slowly. The life that they had led before their discovery seemed a world away now that their home had been defiled. It was as though the person that she had been, the moments that she had shared there, were part of a different person now. She felt oddly as though she had been severed from the old self and was beginning anew from this moment. Those precious stolen moments where her life had seemed to make sense, those wistful conversations, and even jocose promises of eternity... they were gone. She cast a sidelong glance to her partner and he returned her gaze, though she could see through his expression of false bravado straight to his fear, which was the same as her own.

Taking his hand into hers again, she cast a final glance at the shack before fleeing into the woods once more.

The still air hung heavy with silence and the heady aroma of flowers whose blossoms fanned out in the green mist in vibrant hues. The humid [glow=yellow]fen[/glow] teemed with insects ordinarily and a faint hum could usually be heard from their activity as they fluttered around. Defying the usual, there was hardly any sound to be heard save for the splashing of the water beneath the boots of the man who was parting reeds to force his way through. His breathing was a little labored, from the exertion, but he knew that he was nearly done with his hard journey through the verdant growth.

The flowers [glow=yellow]exuding[/glow] perfume were dangerous enemies to one unfamiliar with the area and even to those accustomed to it, they could prove more than annoying. Their scent was thick and clouded the mind with its numbing effect, not good when there lurked a host of unfriendly predators in the shadows and just out of sight. He knew that they were watching him, he knew that they were waiting for him to succumb to the sweet sleep. He had more fortitude than that, however, and he knew that his destination was at hand. He could not see it yet, due to the stalks packed closely together that reached high above his head, but he was close.

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, the man emerged into a clearing where the plants had been warded away. The flowers and their scent were blocked by the reeds that formed a barrier all around. For good measure, the man had even chopped away the flowers that grew too closely to his altar. This was a haven for all those who feared the vicious animals that prowled nearby. They came here not for the same reason as the man, but instead for his protection. His altar was to a concept that the rest found less than sane, but they did not question him. He was a beacon, a leader, in the land of lost lambs and he forced them to sit at his altar to perhaps imbue one of them with its magic.

Little known to the rest, [glow=yellow]epeolatry[/glow] was not in fact the fire of his passion. The altar was not blind devotion to words but rather the spark of his fire and one that he desperately wished for a fellow in. Long had he insisted on the pilgrimage of the people in quest for his protection, but he was growing weary. It seemed as though there would be no other to share in his gift and he was lonesome with people whose only concern was for breeding and hunting. They would not understand the calling of his art and the thread of his thoughts, the idea that he existed for more than the mundane.

Brushing his fingers over the peculiar obelisk, inscribed on all sides with the etchings of words in an endless story, stretching to the top. To the touch, it was cool, unusual in the hot humidity. Stranger still was the [glow=yellow]arenaceous[/glow] texture and for both reasons, he'd attempted to find another stone with the same qualities but he had yet to discover another. It seemed that it was entirely unique, its presence an unexplained mystery, even to the man.

Broken from his reverie by the rustle of reeds, the man looked up to see a young woman entering the clearing with a little boy in her arms. Her face was streaked with blood and her hands were caked with it; she looked feral, desperate, as she glanced around. Her mouth was set in a thin line that belied her worry and the man gestured for her to bring the boy closer. Seemingly appeased, she approached, the boy still gripped tightly in her arms, [glow=yellow]acquiescing[/glow] with stubborn hesitation to his unspoken request.

"He is hurt."

This simple explanation was rife with worry, so strong that it could be felt. The man accepted the boy into his arms gently, patting the child's hair with one hand. The woman's expression remained wary, but her eyes shone with gratitude. She would not be the first mother who had sought protection for their child with him. He refused to allow his heart to melt for her, but for the child. That was a different story entirely, he thought, cradling the whimpering boy. Each child was invaluable and he would do everything in his power to care for this one.

The man had only turned his back on the woman for a moment when he heard a gasp and spun to face her. Her fingers were spread over a span of the obelisk and the words beneath her fingertips were lit with an unnatural light. Her expression was one of awe, her eyes wide and mouth open. The spark had touched her.

The city was burning. Tongues of flame worked danced around the one pastoral village whose houses were crumbling to the ground with the influence of the fire. Quaint wooden homes were too easy a target for the engulfing blaze and it was swallowing them whole with hardly a pause before moving on to another. Garden patches lit and filled the air with the heady scents of herbs being burnt, scorching the dirt beneath them.

People were fleeing the village, abandoning the remnants of their lives with blind terror, none the wiser as to what had caused the fire. They met their answer soon enough as they attempted their escape. Arrows flew through the air with lethal accuracy, embedding several inches into the backs of the townsfolk, the archers appearing from the acrid smoke like demons with their hands loosely gripping their bows. Still more people made a bid for escape from the fire only to stop in horror at people they once knew laying face down in mud made from blood mingling with the dirt. They hardly had time to register fear before they too were struck down.

A lone figure emerged at last from the smoke, his eyes scanning the scores of bodies surrounding him and the building smoldering to the ground. Amongst the murder and the destruction, he was the leader and the harbinger. He spread his arms wide as he surveyed the town, a feral smile gracing his features. Discrepant from his cold, merciless archers he was gleeful. The smell of burning and blood was enough to make him feel high with thrill. In his eyes he saw not a massacre but a conversion. He was their prophet and what he had given them was quietus from their heresy.

The man waved his hand to the archers, satisfied with the annihilation. Following tacit orders, they fanned out to the burnt shells of what were once homes. Sweeping aside his deep red robes, the leader began to pick through the home nearest to him as well. The elimination of obstacles was over and now they were searching. Keen eyes took in everything as nimble hands dug through the remains of the buildings.

After nearly an hour, the search was over. They had located their prize amongst the ashes of one of the houses and taken it greedily, spitting on its ruin. The archers who found it presented it proudly to their leader, bearing it between them to displace the weight. He whirled to face them and their favor was assured with his indulgent smile.

The object appeared to be a sarcophagus made seamlessly of only two pale stones. The bottom had not a single crack despite being roughly four feet in length and the lid fit on it perfectly. They set their burden down at the feet of their master and he kneeled, hardly aware that he was holding his breath. The lid was inscribed with a clearly indelible script, still perfect and unmarred despite the obvious age of the sarcophagus, and the letters gleamed bright, looking all the world as though they had been freshly painted with blood. He ran his fingers over the lettering, marveling that it was dry despite it appearances, and focused instead on reading the archaic language.

"Inside the confines of this stone rests the remains of their pretender to the divinity, their so-called goddess. Our destiny is half-complete, men."

Challenge Entries Continued...​

The first impression that she had upon waking was of the bright morning light striking her face and the realization that it had light out for some time since her right cheek was warm from the sun's caress. Having sat in dreamy contemplation for a moment, her eyes fluttered open when she was shaken lightly. The experience of waking somewhere unfamiliar was disorienting initially but after rubbing her eyes with balled hands, she recalled where she was exactly.

Sitting up straight in the seat of the car allowed her to see out the windows as well as offering a glimpse of the driver of the car, who glanced at her and offered a smile. She was happy to have him there, his gregarious nature lent itself to a certain charm and put her at ease, despite her nervousness. Her brother was an asset and a complement to her own personality in that he was so different from her. Where she was quiet and calculating, he was voluble and charming. He was the charmer of people while she worked with numbers and realities and it suited them both fine that way.

"We're going to stop at the next gas station" he informed her, gesturing to a sign at the side of the road that was ticking off the miles until the next exit. She nodded silently, pulling the sleeves of her shirt over her arms with two fluid swipes to cover indelible scars that ran more than skin deep. If her brother noticed, he didn't comment on it and instead returned his focus to the road ahead of him, though he was obviously weary from the driving. At the gas station, she would likely take her turn in driving the car. They had no real destination, only a plan to settle wherever they felt most comfortable but far from home and somewhere small, quiet. They'd left in the dead of night, silent as thieves, and had been driving ever since. They had covered surprisingly little ground for how long they had been driving and a glance at the map told her that they needed to go further away. They were still too close to where they'd come from for them to stop now.

Their peculiar calm unnerved her a little, though she was numbly happy and didn't know how else she expected to feel. They were fleeing, yes, from their meticulous crime but it was not a crime of wantonness or passion but a carefully planned and orchestrated murder. These thoughts made her glance around nervously as though expecting someone to accuse her of her crime on the spot or to grow suspicious of her thoughts but there weren't even any other cars on the road with them. Rolling hillsides occasionally dotted with the odd horse or cow were the only sources of company besides her brother, who seemed to be driving half-asleep as this point. Placing her hand against the window, she wondered what was going on now back at her house.

Perhaps someone had found the body, reeking of alcohol and passed out in a pool of his own vomit. If all went according to plan, the death would be labeled accidental, checked off as another alcoholic to die a pathetic death. It would not surprise anyone, the irascible man's fits were not his solitary character flaw after all. Simply one of many faults that had alienated his children from him. Even if someone did suspect his son of killing him, would they say anything? Would it be too much to jump to images of the boy walking into the room to find the alcoholic taking his anger at the world out on the daughter? Would it be just to punish the son for killing the father who could not be tasked with nurturing his own progeny, after all? Likely, all would stay silent and the siblings would slip away to never be heard from again.

The sun was hanging low over the lake, causing a reflection to spread across the surface and tint the water orange with its dying rays of light, heralding the end of the day. For the townspeople, whose days had been full and rewarding as a whole, it was a signal to begin getting into their beds and all those still left on the streets were hurrying back to the safety of their homes with caitiff glances at alleyways already beginning to darken. Bells rang from the church on the hill, the discordant chiming reminding the townsfolk that they needed to muster the courage and ask the blacksmith to braze a new bell for the church but it had been like that for more than a fortnight and all were still afraid to approach the wooden structure on the outskirts of their peaceful dwellings.

A lone figure made his way down the shoddily cobbled path the made up the main walkway through the sleepy town, leading behind him a placid bullock who seemed less like he was being coerced and more like he was willingly following the man who held his rope. From their windows, people watched his progression, slow as a funeral dirge. When he had passed their homes, they exhaled a breath that they did not realize that they had been holding. The figure, robed in black with a hood hiding his face from the dim light, struck an imposing silhouette in the half-light of dusk but the people knew that it was not the lighting that inspired their true fear of him and that they would be every bit as wary of him in the full light of day.

The blacksmith was a master of his craft, few would even consider arguing that his work put all other to shame. The fear came from the stories told about him, that his work was so great because he made a deal with the devil to gain the adept and agile hands that rivaled the skill of the demon lord himself. Few were willing to ask him for pieces, though the things he made were exceptionally good. Rumor had it that he made shoes for the horse of the messenger the village employed and that the horseshoes were crafted from white iron and dark fire; they swore that the horse's speed doubled or tripled but that the messenger, who fell ill, did not have the money to repay the blacksmith and instead had to defray the cost by selling his soul.

The less superstitious or those who tried to appear brave swore that they wouldn't talk to the blacksmith because of his surly attitude, but even the animals shied away when we walked. Children listened to the heeding of their parents and wouldn't go near him at all, and still the bell became more worn out every season. People would make any excuse not to talk to him or ask him for his services, yet somehow he never suffered for money. It only added to their suspicion of him.

Things continued in this fashion until winter, perhaps two years after the bell had showed its first signs of wear. A woman came into town on the eve of the winter solstice and the weather was celebrating in due fashion with snowflakes falling heavily from the sky. All the homes turned her away, for they could see the swell of her stomach and the pallor of her features - the pregnant woman was dying and not a one of them wanted to be responsible for the child. Finally, having begged and pleaded for shelter through the whole village, the woman came upon the house of the blacksmith, who opened the door before she'd even knocked upon it.

From my mouth, you elicit such easy laughter
Quick to joke and slow to anger but there's nothing
No one, that can make me smile quite like you
Glib statements and wry glances, an expression
Possible to picture within the eye of my mind
Statements unexpected that strike a chord
Bring my heartbeat to my throat when I realize
That these things are said for me and my benefit

Status
Not open for further replies.