Ten Years After The World Ended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wind blew softly against the rubble covered land, the golden sun was almost fully below the horizon line. Streaks of fading orange and pink beginning to turn purple was left in the cool air, it would be twilight soon. Sitting on an old worn tire, arms lightly crossed over a knee that rested close to her face, one leg extended to the ground, a curvy girl in ripped jeans and a long sleeved black faded shirt sat.

The girl sighed, looking up and with bored eyes at the few soft clouds that dusted the sky. She sat near her bunker, waiting for water in the large pot to boil. She didn't want to have to heat water into the night, even though there was a little smoke, any smoke in general can bring people to know where she is. There was a half dead tree nearby, leaning to one side, a ripped up tarp looked like it had caught on one of the branches. The tarp and tree almost made a lean-to looking tent type shade, and under it was a large rusty wash bucket covered with old and dirtied saran wrap. Other various item were strewn about, so the area didn't look so suspicious. Old scrap metal, the skeleton of an old car- any parts worth keeping from the thing were long gone by now.

But near the old tire was the girl's home, a bunker underneath the ground. It used to be the basement to a large building of some sort, there was crumbled concrete and piled up chairs, broken computers, and wrappers which is why she guessed this. A tin door was the only way to get in, it kept the bugs and rain out, and on a good day she kept the little hatch open to get new air circulation through it.

The door is about three feet wide, by three and a half of rusty tin. It looked like it might have been from the roof of a large mobile home, or two-way house. If you were to lift it and peer inside, you would see a ladder that goes down about eleven feet deep into the dark. Underneath is all concrete and metal, and it's a single rectangular room that's thirteen feet wide and about twelve wide. The space between the celling and the floor was only about 8 feet on one side, and it had opposite stairs on the celling to where the stairs used to be, but were no longer.

In this place which Mickayla called her home, were all of her knick-knacks and belongings. She did rather well for living in the new world, many struggled, and she did to a point. But not like others, who fought tooth and nail for a glass of water. Which is ironic because the hardest thing for her to get, was water. Mickayla traded almost solely for clean water.

Taking the pot off the stove and smothering the fire with her sole, Mickayla went under the tarp and poured the water into the saran covered tub, which was already half full of warm water. Out of a large pitcher she poured lukewarm water in, that had been heated during the day from the sun. She'd rather it not be too hot.

Before stepping in, the girl threw the pot upside-down on the ground to let any water drip out, and had a look around. Her eyes were a deep shade of blue, almost as deep as the nighttime sky, and it was starting to become night. She only took baths during night for the sole reason of cover, then again, baths were a luxury many didn't receive. And whenever she could take one she would. The girl had done good today, very good. She felt she deserved it. She had found an old egg laying hen, and upon realization she couldn't keep the thing herself, she came back with a borrowed-wagon full of water jugs. From the road she then carried them back to the bunker, because she didn't want the man who owned the wagon to see her home, and it had taken a couple trips. But it was well worth it.

"Very well worth it." She whispered, stripping off her clothes beneath the tarp and slipping into the tub. It revealed her very unusaully pale skin, for most people in warmer climates were tan because the sun. She though, was part albino, or her mother had been. Anemic as well. An old beaten up excuse for a towel, which looked more like a rag at this point, was flat on one side of the dirty ground. The other side clean. Mickayla liked predictability and ritual, part of her diagnosed OCD when she was young and the world was much better than this.

She took her bath in peace, a shot gun resting against the side of the tub. The tub was much too small for the girl, but getting the dirt and grime off and having the warm water slip down her body was one of the possibly best feelings Mickayla had ever experienced. Her hair was a wavy blonde that curled down her back and covered her chest, the tips a bright red color. This left many people confused, but with explination people understood.

Mickayla, about three years ago, found many, many cartons filled with kool aid... At first she tried to drink it, but Kool Aid is extremely bitter without adding sugar, and sugar was a rarity. So, she didn't know what to do with the useless stuff, alls she knew is it died her hands and was good for marking places she had been. Once, boiling this dye to mark an area, she had turned her head upon hearing a noise, and her long hair had fallen over her shoulder into the pot.

This was how she found out that hair could be dyed with Kool Aid. And so she did, because really, what are you gonna do with big wooden cartons filled with Kool Aid anyway? Atleast it brought a little adventure into her life. It made people question her, or wonder if she was wealthy. Then again it didn't help she also used the Kool Aid to make a lipstick. Lipstick doesn't really exist 10 years into the New World. So it makes people think your a higher rank.

And people with higher ranks seem to get a lot of trade offers. So Mickayla was in pretty good condition.

(Sorry for poor spelling or things that don't make sense, I'm really tired for some reason...)

Reactions: Jade
Aaron Davidson unzipped his bag and pulled out a map. He let his finger roam around the map. He pulled out navy-colored binoculars and looked in them to see northwest to see Jackson. He pulled the binoculars away from his eyes and looked straight in front of him to see the mountain trail starting to end.

He pulled out a bottle of water that was the same color as his eyes and drank a small amount of it. He tied the top back on and put it in his bag. He shook his short, messy brown hair to make sure no dirt was in it and pulled his black gloves, revealing the back center of his hands.

He never found any people after his safe house burnt down, which was two months ago. Every time he thought about it, he remembered Allison, his sister. She died when the safe house burnt down. He had a picture of her in his pocket, and never wanted to lose it.

While walking, he saw a pile of debris. Curiosity filling him, he moved the rubble out of the way and saw a small square door on the ground. He raised an eyebrow at it. He opened it and saw the ladder. He thought maybe there was supplies down there. He touched the top and started to climb down. He almost tripped halfway, but managed to regain his balance. He tried his best to not cause any sound.

He grunted a little when he landed on the ground. He dusted his simple blue t-shirt and jeans and turned around to the cellar. He gathered supplies around the cellar. He looked around to see if there was any more supplies that he needed. After some time, he climbed up the ladder. He then noticed a dead tree with a tarp hung on a branch. He thought it was a perfect place to sleep, since night was coming. He walked towards the shadows and looked around to see Mickayla in the tub. He put his hand over his mouth in surprise. "S-sorry! I thought th-this was a place to sleep...I-I didn't see anyone!" He embarrassingly said, his cheeks red.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mickayla heard a noise of the cellar door shutting and kept quiet, grabbing her gun from beside her. 'Fuck.' She thought, after a few seconds she got up quickly, water dripping about, and wrapped herself in the towel. Dirt from the outside of the towel shook onto the ground and Mickayla tied a knot into the top of the towel so it draped her body like a dress.
When the man came back up from the cellar with supplies, she aimed her rifle at him, ready to shoot. "What the fuck do you think your doing in my stuff?" She demanded. Downstairs was a safehouse for her, and she didn't want people meddling within her stuff.

When he went downstairs it would have been dark without a candle, and it probably wouldn't have shown all of what she had. Even so, she wouldn't let valuable supplies slip through her fingers. "Drop the stuff now, or I shoot."

Water beaded and dripped on the ground, her feet dirty once again from dust and dirt on the ground. Mickayla was pissed off, but even so, she didn't want to damage and bloody the supplies once she shot this guy in the head.

Aaron lowered his eyebrows and sighed. "Sorry. I thought no one was here. If you want your stuff, I'll put it back. You don't have to go crazy. Plus, I've been shot before." Aaron said. He put the supplies down on the dirty ground. He looked up to the woman again. "Sometimes, be friendly. You never know who people are. I could have been a madman with a bomb. You're lucky I'm not." Aaron said. "And also, people could find you. Shade is an important thing at night." Aaron needed some shade to sleep at night and some boxes to store his supplies, so this was a perfect place. However, it was guarded by this girl. How could he convince her to let him stay for a night or two?

Aaron bit his lip until he realized how. He smiled as he said "I've got water and sugar." He knew both of these things were scarce around here; he hadn't found a single drop of rain since he journeyed to the end of the mountain trail. "Tell ya what; you let me stay for a night or two, I'll give you water and sugar. Deal?" Aaron put out his hand for a handshake. His face was warm to help him convince her.

Mickayla watched the boy carefully, he seemed to try to be convincing her, but she was not the girl to convince. Mickayla had watched her baby brothers die, her mother become a husk, and eaten her big brothers leg in a time of desperate need. She kept her shotgun pointed as he put the supplies down.
"Look here, Sir. I know exactly the kind of person you could've been. Or still could be. Guys with bombs on their back don't come this far off the path, they look for WHO cities, or settlements so they can do big damage and be remembered. They don't go after a girl who just wants to mind her own business."
The girl looked around, the sun was gone now and only streaks of pink were left in the sky. "Now I don't know who you are, or what your intentions are, but I don't need your trade. I already have what I need. So leave. Before it gets bloody."
She added, snarling the last words. It must have been weird, to hear the girls soothing, normally quiet voice try to be angry. But she meant business, and she wanted the man to know that. She wouldn't kill unless it was necessary, but it would be necessary if he didn't leave.

"Alright, fine. Have fun dying." Aaron replied. "Still, here, because I'm nice." Aaron unzipped his bag to reveal a small water bottle and tossed it to Mickayla, the bottle rolling towards her feet. He zipped his bag up and started to walk away. Aaron sighed as he closed his eyes in disappointment. As he was walking towards the city of Jackson, he turned his head so the girl could see half of his face. "You sure? I could be a valuable link. I know people in Jackson. Plus, we could find more supplies there." He said. He knew it was less convincing then his last argument, but that was the only thing that popped up in his head.

Mickayla glared, what was this damn boy up to? "Leave." She hissed, giving the water bottle a kick so it skidded across the ground. People were not to be trusted.

The water that dripped against the ground was very cold now, she would have to dry off and find warmth soon before it got to her too bad. The last thing she needed was to become ill at a time like this. The wind blew and the girl shuttered, but remained with her stance. She shouldn't let this man live, now he knew where her bunker was.

He may tell others, he may come back and steal from her while she's out trading. Upon realization of this, Mickayla in her little towel aimed to kill, right for his head. And fired.

Aaron knew this was coming the minute he saw the gun. This girl wanted to kill Aaron, and he knew it. His muscles were stiff from the stress that he was going to get shot. The 'got shot once before' was a lie. He hadn't got shot before. And he hoped he wouldn't.

Luckily, Aaron wasn't so close to the girl, it took at least half a second to reach Aaron. He ducked to the ground, the bullet barely crossing his hair. The bullet flew to the sky. When he stood back up, he smiled a little. "Feisty," He said, looking at the girl. "not a good trait here."

Being just shot at, Aaron was very calm. He knew what the girl was thinking, he was thinking the same thing, too. Everyone needed to be aware that the person you meet might know people; Aaron just said he knew people. If he said that, would that convince her? It wouldn't hurt to try...

"I know what you're thinking; that I know people that could come here and raid the cellar. Just more reason to let me stay. If you don't, you're gonna shoot me. I know it. But, if you say no, and don't shoot, I won't tell anyone. Cross my heart. I'm just putting it up there; let me stay and you won't get raided. Or just shoot again." Aaron tried one last dying wish. He pulled out his arm for the target.

"With your permission." Mickayla said, shooting again. This time she shot, aiming for the shoulder. "Leave while you still can. And if you ever come back, I will murder you and any goons you bring to my territory." The shot to the shoulder was more of a warning shot, in truth killing wasn't her favorite activity.

Also again, she didn't want blood all over her home either.

"Leave." She added a last time, aiming for his head once more. "I will kill you if you keep running your mouth." She added.

Aaron felt the pellet touch him, and winced a little. He lowered his eyebrows. "Fine, bye." He said, walking away.

After a little while of walking, he turned around. He couldn't see the door anymore, or the tarp. He grabbed his shoulder, the shoulder dripping in blood. This was like what being shot at felt like. However, in this world, you couldn't whine about it. Spouting a few curses while doing so, Aaron pulled out an extra cloth and dampened his shoulder. He kept the cloth on his shoulder. He kept walking until he was almost at the end of the mountain tops. He turned around again. Should he go back? Probably not. He didn't want to die. He kept walking forward. Every few minutes he would look back, biting his lip. The idea was tempting. An idea popped up in his mind. If he could find a gun, even just a handgun, he could counter the girl. Now, go to Jackson or Rhodesville was the question. He was already going to Jackson, so he started walking there. After walking a bit, he saw a road. He started walking on it, towards Jackson.

Mickayla shook her head, watching him leave. When he had turned into nothing but a spec, she went over to the tarp and got dressed. "Can't even enjoy a damn bath." She muttered to herself as she forced on socks and her combat boots. "And now someone knows where I am. Fucking hell. I'll have to murder."

The sky was turning dark, revealing stars in the sky, and Mickayla dumped out the old dirty water farther from her little camp. Then, placing the tub back where it belonged, she grabbed the supplies the man had stolen and placed it in the large pot before carrying it in one arm as she climbed down the ladder. It was very dark, but she left the hatch open so that the starlight could beam through. Then taking a flint and steel, she did her best to light a homemade candle she had up on the wall, far away from the ladder enough so that it wouldn't burn down, but close enough so she could see what she was lighting.

When it lit, she put the flint back in her pocket and climbed up the ladder, closing the hatch and locking it with her multiple locks for the night. It was her bedtime ritual. Sliding down she took the candle over to her pile of sheets and set it on a piece of metal. The candle dripped wax against the wall, and the piles of stuff around the room cast long eerie shadows.
After getting comfy, Mickayla blew out the candle, ready for a nice quiet night of peaceful sleep in the pitch black.

Aaron kept walking on the road. He thought about where he could get a gun, probably in Jackson if he looked. There was also probably a lot of people there, he might have to get through them... He didn't want to think about it. It was getting to be night, and his eyes were heavy. He found the nearest tree and unzipped his bag. he pulled out a small sleeping bag and lay it under the leaves. He climbed in and closed his eyes.

After a few minutes, he opened his eyes again because he felt a pelt of rain. He cursed when he realized it was starting to rain. It might cause lightning, and he knew standing under a tree during a storm wasn't the best idea. He cursed while he put his small sleeping bag in his black bag and zipped it back up. He covered his head with his hand while he try to remember what the map looked like. He didn't want the map to get wet. He saw buildings in the distance and he knew he was going the right way. He felt drowsy, and really wanted to sleep. However, he couldn't sleep in this freezing rain. He aimed his sights towards Jackson.

North-East of Rhodesville
Outside the Cabin

He looked at the door before turning around, a grim expression on his face. There was that scream earlier. It wasn't loud enough to bring the van back, but it had certainly gotten his attention. David's too, apparently, as the younger man stood in front of the cabin, trying to coax a response from the other side of the door. They were both met with silence after a while. Whoever was inside either didn't want their help or no longer needed it. The dead needed nothing.

"I'm going," he told David as he adjusted the sack on his back and walked away from the cabin. "There's still someone shooting out there." He hoped his newly-acquired companion won't insist on checking on whoever was inside the cabin. He glanced at David and wondered about that little speech. If the kid wasn't happy about keeping the rest of humanity out of their precious cities, then he might be useful. Years ago, he had learned to pick whom to save and whom to leave behind. It wasn't an easy thing to do; a conscience wasn't a very convenient thing to have. Survival of the fittest was practiced out here in the most brutal way imaginable, and the last thing he needed was a small voice hell bent on making him feel guilty.

The crunch of dried leaves and twigs under his boots made him uneasy and just the slightest bit paranoid. He knew, however, that being in the woods was safer than being out in the open. You'd think I'd have gotten used to it by now.

He wondered if David could really be an ally. If he turned out to be one, then this little trip was worth all the trouble in the goddamn world.

Last edited:
Jakob Evans
Jacksonville

After some talking to a couple locals Jakob managed to find the local bar. Saloons, bars, and whatever else you wanted to call them, they were all double edged swords. You could find a great place to trade, drink, and eat, or you could end up in the back alley with a knife in your gut and sleeping in a pool of your own blood.

Jakob strode into the bar passing what he thought may have been the biker from earlier. It didn't really matter though so he didn't even give it a second thought. Taking a quick look around as he entered he noticed some small groups of men, the vibe in the room seemed a little dark and some of the guys were obviously getting ready to clear out. Making his way to a bar stool by he took a seat and called over to the barkeep.

"So what can a guy do around here for a meal, a drink and if I'm not being to greedy maybe even a place to sleep?"

Jackson Barkeep:

"Ha! Yeah, well, I'm guessin' yer new in town, an' I don't remember you so yeah, anyway..." he began to trail off as he attempted to regain his prior thought. "We use our own currency here." the man said as he slapped a sizable copper coin with a stylized J onto the bar.

"There's a stall in the center of the market outside that'll exchange yer stuff out for some cash. Then you can buy anything in town: the Standing Pine right here's the best place for 50 miles to get a drink er git'cher dick sucked; we even have prize fights Friday nights if you're looking for some quick cash. Then, down the way," he motioned with a pointing wave "is everything else you might want, like the bad you're after."

Last edited:
Kitty was unable to sleep, though it was dark and the lamb beside her seemed to sleep easy. It was resting comfortably with it's lame leg pointing at an awkward angle, and the rest of its legs tucked against it's stomach. Kitty picked a few burrs out from it's white coat, and gave Baa a shake with her hand to remove any dust.
Kitty was done her little project, and had created a new yellow dress for herself. It was a very simple yellow dress, made of a thin material. A little short because of the lack of material, but it was partly because Kitty gave it puffy sleeves so she had to compensate. Her sister used to be an excellent sewer, and probably could have done much better than her. But this was the best Kitty got.

From behind the dumpster Kitty stripped off the dress she had been wearing for two years. She could use the old scrap dress for something, like bandages or maybe little shoes to put on her new goat. She had one white cloth left, and she wasn't sure what to use that for.
Before putting on her new dress, Kitty ran her fingers over some of the scars on her thighs and legs, looking at new bruises and scratches and looking for any signs of infection.

When she deemed herself infection-free, she rubbed her face with the old dress, and gave a good rub to her body, trying to get of atleast a thin layer of grime, before folding the dress up and putting it in her pack. Then she slipped on the dress and stood up, looking down to see how well it fit. It was a little snug at the top, but not so much that it was uncomfortable.
Then she grabbed her pack, and picked up the little sheep with a grunt. It was too early to go to bed anyway. Doing her best to navigate in the dark, she slipped back into the bar with an empty water bottle. Her other was filled but she needed one more filled before she went on her way.

Quietly she traveled to the counter and climbed up the stool, feeling comfortable that she had already been here before and lived to tell the tale. Setting the sheep up on the counter she leaned forward, waiting to catch someones attention. The empty waterbottle obviously in hand.

"Thanks for the info" Jakob gave a genuine smile to the barkeep "I'll be back when I got some money, I could use a damn good drink" Picking up his stuff he slid off his seat and headed for the door. A young girl who looked no older than 16 passed by him and climbed up a stool. The oddest part wasn't her age or her grimy appearance, nor was it that such a young girl was at a bar, it was that she had a lamb with her. A girl with a lamb, it seemed so innocent it almost made him laugh. He figured she probably stole it off someone, not his problem though so he just smirked and walked out the door.

Heading towards the central market area he looked around for the money changing stall. After a minute or two he located it, mostly made of wood it had been pretty decently constructed not too mention that it had iron bars across the opening, most likely to prevent theft by out of town scavengers and such.

"So I hear this is where I can get rich" giving a quick grin to the gentlemen sitting in the booth "So how much is one your coins worth and what are you boys willing to pay for what I got?" Jakob gave the two men a cursory look, both of them were probably mid forties but looked more like fifty year old geezers. One of the many side effects of the end of society, people seemed to get a lot older a lot quicker. He noticed a shotgun leaning on the wall and some shells for it in box on the small table. They were armed and they had ammo, probably weren't afraid to use it either if it came down to it.

Reactions: Xan and Jade
Jackson Cash Exchange:

The men broke their conversation and looked to their left and right respectively, the two pairs of eyes meeting the one. The one to Jakob's left, a weathered old man who looked to be of some kind of Slavic heritage, shifted his position to face the young trader, "Depends." he said breaking into a classic smoker's cough. "Depends on what you have, and what you're trying to buy. People sell different things for different rates, or even the same thing for different rates, depending on who you go to. So... show me what you have to trade, then just go see what you can get for it."

Last edited:
With the lamb on the table and the empty waterbottle in her hand, Kitty rested her head next to the lamb. "I need water." She said to no one in particular. The lamb awoke with a jolt and bleated, reaching one hand up Kitty pet it with the hand that the rope was tied to.
She must have looked peculiar, sitting there in a clean newly-made dress, with a dirty body and old boots. Her hands though were rather clean. As if she had washed them, and in reality she had. Well, kind of... She had spilled water while filling the water bottle on her hands and wiped them off as she was trading. Which is the reason why only one of her water bottles got filled.

No one seemed to hold too much interest in her, so she whispered, "I can trade." To herself while sitting on the stool, her head now against the little lamb. The lamb righted itself, folding it's lame leg back at an awkward angle and leaning back on the girl so it's hind legs hung over the counter nearest to where the bartender would be.

With no specific value it'd be hard for him to trade in Jackson, he'd have to be careful or people would be taking advantage of him. Jakob rummaged through his bag for a bit and pulled out three of his locks and their respective keys. Laying them on the booth table he reached back in and grabbed the working compass and four shotgun rounds."How much for the locks and compass? I'd also like to know how much you'd pay for each individual shotgun shell?"

Status
Not open for further replies.