Tell Me About Your School

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Asena

Original poster
I got my BFA in Graphic Design from UArts (obvs an art school) and it was HELL. I was borderline suicidal from the intense workload. Finals were half hour long critiques in which you displayed all your completed projects and the process books for them, all your teachers looked and commented on them, and you tried not to cry when they expressed their varying disappointments in your work after you'd been up slaving over everything for 72 hours.

Now I'm at a community college working for a BS in Computer Science. I'm so unstressed that I can't even believe next week is finals week. I was always super good in high school classes, so math and science and stuff are so much more familiar and comforting.

Tell me about your experiences in school! Or weird quirks/interesting facts/awesome things about your school! UArts doesn't have a football team, but we have a t-shirt saying UNDEFEATED SINCE 1876 because we're snarky.

I've been studying Health Care Administration for the last four years. I got a degree in billing and coding last year and am working towards a BA in Health Information Systems now - less than a year left for that one, so that's nice. What helps is that it's an online university, so it caters to my need for multitasking pretty nicely :3

Pros: I don't have to go to a campus, which means I don't have to put pants on. I can do my daily school work at any time that I choose, as long as I meet the minimum participation and attendance requirements. I can earn a 4 year degree in just two years, though it is difficult, considering my classes are condensed into just 5 weeks long each. Can't sleep? Want to get ahead in my syllabus? Sure, I can turn in a future paper at 3 o'clock in the morning if I feel like it. xD

Cons: Sheer panic if anything were to happen to my computer. Microsoft Office is a pain in the ass. SO. MUCH. READING. My courses are self-propelled, so I basically just learn what I need through text books and discussion and I am required to write extensive papers, do a ton of research, and various other assignments throughout the week to keep my knowledge accurate. Having to participate in learning team group work that accounts for a large portion of your grade is THE WORST. I have some horror stories.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Hope
Cons: Sheer panic if anything were to happen to my computer. Microsoft Office is a pain in the ass. SO. MUCH. READING. My courses are self-propelled, so I basically just learn what I need through text books and discussion and I am required to write extensive papers, do a ton of research, and various other assignments throughout the week to keep my knowledge accurate. Having to participate in learning team group work that accounts for a large portion of your grade is THE WORST. I have some horror stories.
In art school I lived in constant terror of my computer breaking. There is almost no sympathy from professors. =___=;

Group work thoughhhhh. I'm taking Chemistry, and we get random lab partners every week. Worst. Part. Of my week. Can I tell you about the partner I had who would take our chemicals, put them under his nose, and inhale deeply to describe the smell? I don't even know.

I've only taken a few online classes and been lucky enough to be able to bullshit my way through them. .___.; I try to do the readings, but... yeah.

In art school I lived in constant terror of my computer breaking. There is almost no sympathy from professors. =___=;

Group work thoughhhhh. I'm taking Chemistry, and we get random lab partners every week. Worst. Part. Of my week. Can I tell you about the partner I had who would take our chemicals, put them under his nose, and inhale deeply to describe the smell? I don't even know.

I've only taken a few online classes and been lucky enough to be able to bullshit my way through them. .___.; I try to do the readings, but... yeah.
LOL I know the feels. I wish I could bullshit my way through some of these assignments... The partners though. Omg. Working with people for school is hard enough, but when you have to rely on the internet to communicate and collaborate on a time-sensitive assignment... Ugh. I often wonder how some of my classmates were able to make it this far into the program xD

Professors definitely don't have any remorse for computer issues! They just say "You've had the syllabus since the beginning, there's no excuse." and there's always the lovely one that suggests trying to do assignments through the phone app, which is laughable xD Moral of that story: You should be able to see the future.

A reminder to everyone that sharing specific information about your real life (like the school whose records you can be found in) on the Internet can be really dangerous, even on a nice site like this!

I was homeschooled 8D

My awesome stay at home mom taught us everything from the alphabet to trigonometry and economics. We started after breakfast at the kitchen table, but we're allowed to do the work/reading basically anywhere but our rooms so long as it got done.

I've talked about this before, but the best part was how she always made sure we understood how our lessons related to real life. If a movie references something we'd read for English, she'd point it out. We used math and economics in the grocery store, saw history repeating on the news, chemistry in the kitchen, and geometry in her numerous construction projects!

Another great thing was that if we wanted to know about something off our course list, we had only to ask and she would gladly help us research and find out about anything from the difference between insects and bugs to why recycling is important. I know that's (to a degree) a regular parent thing, but I like to think mom went beyond as a teacher. I remember getting an essay assignment on volcanoes (I had to pick one volcano, I chose Vesuvius) because I loved our baking-powder-and-vinegar model so much. She always facilitated the academic pursuit of our interests, and literally made learning fun.

Reactions: Muna
I work at the school where I was sent home covered in my own blood after a kid punched my nose repeatedly over a spot in volleyball that we could share.

They suspended me because I pulled him over to the Coach (who's office and locker rooms I maintain) by his collar.

It's an IB school now. So it's fancy.

Highschool student, and really dislike my school. So much work, every teacher thinks they're the only class in existence, many of the teachers (that I've had the luck of getting) are horrid, while some are absolutely amazing. It's those teachers that keep me sane. Very low-par school. I feel so underprepared for college that it's not even funny.

Before going to my high school I was repeatedly regaled with tales of how "ghetto" it was, and then encountered none of that. Enjoyed virtually all of my teachers, realized that each class would give about an hours worth of homework, and each class was a little over a hour long, and began doing to obvious lazy approach of only doing homework in class.

After graduating learned that my school was actually as bad as the reputation implied, with several fights a day in the hall, and I only didn't notice because I spent each lunch in the cafeteria or games room playing cards.

I went to a single-sex high school. Looking back at my years there, I'm not quite sure how I managed to go five years with very little female interaction. At first I really liked going to an all-male school, but as I went through puberty I realised how much I missed having females around. That got much better during my later years in high school, though. My social life developed and I made several nice female friends.

The school itself was really good in terms of standards of teaching. It was what is known in the UK as an 'academy grammar school' (sounds really posh, I know) where you have to pass an entrance exam in order to be accepted into the school. I had some really good times, and bad times, at high school. I've made some amazing friends there and I don't regret going to that school one bit.

My school is oooooookay I guess lol, there's not much to offer when it comes to classes. Though in my opinion the only elective worth picking is Choir <3, the school I went to last year offered quite a bit more.

I'm coming to the end of my first term at Imperial College London in the UK (which for some reason nobody's ever heard of), studying theoretical physics. Absolutely loving it, although my work ethic has been horrific so far so my Christmas exam is going to violate me in ways I can't even imagine.

Lecturers are mostly excellent, though of course there are always a couple of less-than-charismatic ones, and all lectures are recorded and posted online so I can happily skip ones at 9am and just catch up later. Only bad part about the course is labs, 'cause I'm the quintessential theorist and practical work is the bane of my existence, but I just got a "1st" (an A, in other words) on my first lab report so that's a plus. It's also tough to adjust to the higher expectations here; the workload can get crazy at times and it's aimed at a very high level compared to my schoolwork from last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.