Teach me your slang

I've been from West Virginia, to Georgia, and places in between. My favorite slang that I've picked up over the years:

Y'all = you all. "Y'all better calm down."
Fixin' to = going to. "I'm fixin' to go to." "I'm fixin' to eat."
Holla = a...place in the country? I'm not totally sure on this one. I've heard it used quite a few times like this: "She lives over in the holla." I've also heard people pronounce it "holler" before.
Colder than a witches tit = very cold. My dear WV-raised mother is famous for saying this. xD
Hankerin' = a craving for something. "I've gotta hankerin' for some taters."
Lick = not much, or very little. "I didn't get a lick o' work done today."
Use to could = used to be able to. "I can't hunt anymore, but I used to could."
You'uns = you all, or each of you. "I'd better not hear another word from you'uns."
Sweatin' like a whore in church = ew.

My favorite came from a friend in Cleveland, Ohio. He told me he was going to do his dishes, and when he was ready to, he said, "I'm gonna go bust these suds open."

Reactions: GhostJoker
I can share some slang I grew up around, actually. All of it is stuff I've heard from fellow Washington folk. (Agh now I'm homesick again.)

"We should hang out sometime." = "Bye!" Not even kidding, this is a 'thing' for many of us. I say it all the time even to the Oregonians I now live amongst. lol

"U-Dub" = University of Washington, and "Wa-zu" = Washington State University

"I'd like to order a 'why bother'", which is means you're ordering a decaf latte with non-fat milk.

We also have a word for people who move from CA to WA and want to change up the laws, economical structure, and lifestyle to the California ways of life: Californicators. *shudders with fear*

Back when I lived in Connecticut, some people would also say

Grimey: Meaning suckish or meh. This was used in normal conversation. Everyone would say it. "I can't go to the movies" "Why Not?" "I gotta go to an appointment" "Wow that's grimey"

Bangin: Meaning amazing/delicious. This was usually used toward food or a very attractive woman like "DAAAAAAMN SHE IS BANGIN"

Reactions: Amberlin
@Amberlin
Use to could = used to be able to. "I can't hunt anymore, but I used to could."

Might could= Might be able to. "I might could go for and huntin'."

I'm really loving these responses!

Do-skiin' = snowmobiling

Don't cha know? = tacked onto the end of an informative sentence

Tanked = drunk

Bushin' = partying (it's popular here to drive out into the "bush" aka the forest to drink and party for a weekend)

Holy moly = exclamation, usually of disapproval

LEGIT - That's awesome! Wow amazing

FLY - Cool/Amazing almost like legit.

Wow that's (LEGIT) man!

Dude you looking (FLY)!

Deadass - Serious like I'm deadass, I'm serious.
O.Ding - Overdoing like You're O.Ding and need to chill!
Grimey - Someone who will wrong you I. A heartbeat like don't trust that bard, she's grimey.
Scrap - A term of disrespect. Often used when you don't care for a person or to initiate a fight like "at yo, scrap fall back."
Tatter thots - a term to describe very young girls who are whore like.
Slime - A term used to describe someone as lame like yo, that dude is a slime. Don't mess with him.
OP - Someone who will snitch you out, like a narc but without the stash. Why you gotta be such an op?
Nene Malo - Lol, we have a friend who uses this name and he's constantly doing dumb shit so when someone does something they shouldn't be, you're acting like a Nene malo. Stop being a Nene Malo

OP - overpowered
FTW - for the win, i.e., a really good thing just or will happen
OTP - one true pairing, i.e., you really want these two things to get together
OT3 - one true threesome, i.e., every man's dream
FTW, OTP, OT3, OP, and a bunch of other internet acryonyms - Razilin's way of expressing enthusiastic support of something

Wuddn't: Used like wasn't or wouldn't.

Didn't like mine: Usually used when pushing away an empty plate that had food you did like and eat all of.

Where did you buy the X?: Used to politely say that the X (usually meat or veggies) weren't good.

Bless his/her/their heart: I can't say the bad things about this person that I want to so I'm saying this in an exasperated manner.

Y'all: The apostrophe goes after the Y since its a contraction of two words. Some people don't know this.

Alla y'all: All of you group of people.

Besides that, Ms. Lincoln, how was the play?: Besides the one major bad thing that happened, how was your day?

Hooterville: Any rural town in the middle of nowhere.

Toboggan - a knit cap. I had no idea it was like a sleigh until I moved out of state and my friend looked at me weird when I said I liked her toboggan. My friend from Ohio calls a knitted cap a "Skully".
Pop - soda (Coke, Pepsi, you get the gist). In WV we call it "pop", but when I moved to Georgia, the people at my school made fun of me when I said it. They'd never heard soda referred to as pop!

Pop - soda (Coke, Pepsi, you get the gist). In WV we call it "pop", but when I moved to Georgia, the people at my school made fun of me when I said it. They'd never heard soda referred to as pop!

Now I feel terrible for making fun of my friend for calling it pop since he's from the WV area and me being from the New England states (Connecticut) I always said Soda. Forgive me <3

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Holla = a...place in the country? I'm not totally sure on this one. I've heard it used quite a few times like this: "She lives over in the holla." I've also heard people pronounce it "holler" before.
Spoke with my mother on the phone last night - she told me "holla" and "holler" came from "hollow". Had no idea. It makes so much more sense now!

Also, I'm feeling a little ashamed that I don't know all of the slang in my area. I'm guessing it was because I grew up nose-deep in books? ::shrugs::

Reactions: GhostJoker
Spoke with my mother on the phone last night - she told me "holla" and "holler" came from "hollow". Had no idea. It makes so much more sense now!

Also, I'm feeling a little ashamed that I don't know all of the slang in my area. I'm guessing it was because I grew up nose-deep in books? ::shrugs::

I was born and grew up in the ghetto so I knew so much slang, but once I moved to a different state into a much more calm area with regular people I forgot 90% of them. However, I do remmember a few and when we used holler or holla it usually meant "Call me" or "Call me if anything"

"Holla at me if you find out" "Holla at your bro"

Also, another word is "Jank" which usually meant that's lame. "That game is jank like your face"

Sour - something bad or negative. Used as an universal synonym for awful, terrible, horrible, bad, and other terms of negative connotation.

"He failed his test. So sour."

"He got rejected. Sour about that."

"She's temperamental today. Guess she's being a little sour."

"She's got a knockout of a headache. Bet she's feeling sour about that."