Tavia's Ambitions

Luna waited until they were out of earshot of the teacher to speak again. She didn't want a stranger to overhear things. Markus often scolded her about blurting things out and giving away classified information. "Markus ... Perhaps we should stay a bit longer and see if the goddess will show up? We could also secure the portal we came from. What if we were followed?"

"We have other things to worry about." Markus replied. "We need clothes, and we need to find the goddess. If we're here now there must be a reason and I have a fooling we're going to need to blend in and wait. If trouble follows of is here before us we must be ready." He spoke to her in hushed tones even though there was no one nearby. "But if you have an idea... please share it." he was frustrated, as a loss for ideas and without a plan and in a completely alien world he didn't feel he could manage in.... and for the first time wondered how Luna had talked him into coming here.

Melinda was thinking herself a genius as she rounded the halls of the school. The school's layout had this really near feng shui thing going on. Almost like a circular Japanese garden. The designers must have thought it would inspire students, but for Melinda it just made it easier to take a different route and avoid Miss Io. Right this moment the witch was probably handing out detentions or eating some poor kid's soul.

As she neared the Audio Visual room, Melinda's pace slowed. A lot of banging, screaming, and all around weird sounds were going on in there. She assumed that the AV Club must have been previewing some new footage for homemade movies. Or maybe they borrowed some DVDs out of the library and were watching them with the school's equipment. Thinking she was about to bust them, her hand slowly wrapped around the doorknob ready to burst in the door.

"Miss Andrews! There you are." a voice made her pause. The school's Counselor in her terrible sweaters and mixmatched socks. "Miss Andrews, you've been so gung-ho with school spirit this year, I was wondering if you and a few classmates could do me a world of favors and help assimilate some of the newest transfer students? As you know a students first days are.." The woman then launched in to a long and complicated explanation, leaving no room to interject or reply. Melinda found herself nodding and saying 'uh huh' for a good ten minutes.

Finally the Counselor ended her speech. "Yes, well, as I was saying, would you be a dear? Thank you so much!"

"You're welcome... I think!" Melinda responded, watching the woman's back with confusion as she fled. So, now she was charged with being school ambassador. Which sounded pretty cool when she thought of it like that. Not to mention that binding people together and making new friends would totally boost her chances of being the next Student Council President!

Completely forgetting about the AV room, Melinda skipped down the hall. She needed to hunt down some volunteers!

"Shit's hella gay." Eric sighed as his cousin, Charlie otherwise known as 'that kid in the hella bright blue and purple shirt and girl pants', griped about how he was stuck picking up trash because of his comment on George Washington's choice of hair style being 'Turbo Homo.'

Being Charlie's only ride home and not wanting to be late for work, Eric decided to stay behind and help out his cousin with the picking up of litter on campus with him to speed things up. That and he heard that members of the student council often stayed after school to help clean up the campus. Using this as a possible oppertunity to try to get to know Karen a bit more, Eric glance around abit, abit anxious to see if she was going show up.

Eric glanced over at his cousin, who, in his boredom, started doing one of those street dances that were so popular with the younger kids these days, looking somewhere like a cross between someone in the middle of an epletic seizure and line dancing. "Dude," He pulled down Charlie's earbuds so that he could hear him. "Are we just supposted to wait here for someone to come get us or do we go somewhere?"

He still had a good 3 hours before his shift started, but he had no idea how long this thing was going to take. Plus he still had that Trig test that coming up tomorrow to study up for and had to help his sister edit a video she was about to submit on Youtube, so he was strapped for time. He could have just asked one of his uncles or aunts to pick up Charlie, but he really did figure that this could be his chance to hit it off with Karen, and it was totally worth alittle of lag on his schedule.

"I dunno, they said that we were supposted to met in some room or another. I wasn't really listening to what Mr. Green was saying." Charlie shrugged and plugged the earbud back into his ear as he continue to dance like some agitated elf. Eric groaned, it was just like Charlie to not pay attention to things like this.

"Goddamnit...Come on." He gave his cousin a head nod and started wandering around the english wing of the school, trying to find a teacher or anyone who knew where the people who had to pick up the trash around school were supposted to go.

Down the halls Melinda went, a personal theme song running through her head as she accosted one student after enough only to be rejected by excuse after excuse! Okay, she wasn't exactly accosting anyone. She was asking politely about who had the free time to help do volunteer work for the school. It was amazing how many people had social lives. She must be missing out. No one ever invited her to anything other than study groups!

Upon entering the English wing, she spotted Eric and Charlie. Melinda had a good grasp of the names of everyone in her Year. Of course, Eric she was pretty familiar with as he seemed to be making an effort to be everywhere that Karen was. He was a pretty loyal Karen supporter, so Melinda almost let him escape... Almost! She could at least let him know Karen wasn't staying after school today and take advantage of him being there.

"Karen isn't here." she announced immediately. "BUT I'm in charge of litter duty today and Brit bailed, so I guess it's just meee and Chaaarlie. Unless someone wants to help us get it done faster?" Melinda grinned, clasping her hands behind her back and rocking on her heels.

"Oh." He said with a quite visable sense of a disappointment, then he quickly cleared his throat and collected him. Jeez, was it that obvious that he was trying to get at Karen? Eric sighed a bit, feeling abit embrassed that he was that transparent and still disappointed that he couldn't get to hang out with Karen today.

Charlie gave Melinda a head nod. " 'Eeeyyyy. What it do?" In his own strange way, it seemed as if the boy was trying to be polite by seeming engaging in small talk. Of course the offer would of had more meaning if he took of his earbuds to actually listen to her.

Eric sighed a bit as she seemed to be trying to convince him to join with the litter cleaning. He seen her around alot and heard Karen and her friends talking about the girl that has been trying to creep into Karen's territory lately and make a name for herself so that she could be a contender for next year's student body president.

He never really got why people seemed to work so hard for these things,all that politics and showing your face all over for recognition. It was popularity contest and those type of games were no interest of him because it was based on PR and appeal instead of any sort of luck or skill. Basically, it was really boring.

Eric still found himself smiling abit and nodding to her transparent ploy. "Yeah, I'm Eric's ride home and since he is stuck doing this I figured I would help to help speed up the process. Having extra hands never hurts, right?" He glanced around the empty campus around him and resisted the urge to groan. Food wrappers and empty plastic bottles everywhere. He never noticed how sloppy his peers were before. "Heh...It looks like you need all the help you guys can get. Wow."

"I am truly sorry, Markus." She lowered her head. She really did feel guilty. So very guilty! By attempting to do the right thing, she had allowed herself to be selfish and whisk Markus away from the place he was truly needed. She looked up at him and held his sleeve tightly. "You should return home. You defend our land and I will continue the search for the goddess. I promise I will not do anything reckless. It will be a simple mission of reconaissance and once I know who the goddess is, I will contact you."

"Uh huh! The Janitor has to do all this by himself most of the time, so we're trying to start a Clean Campus Campaign. No many are interested in it yet, but I'm sure everybody will come around." Melinda eyed Charlie for a second. With his earbuds in, he probably couldn't hear a word they were saying. Ever so often he'd nod and pretend like he was. It didn't offend Melinda so much as disappointed her. She really cared about all of this stuff, and no one else ever seemed to!

That disappointed look was plain as day on her face as she shoved her hands in to her skirt pockets. "...well, I hope people do. Anyway, we can go pick up the supplies from the Janitor closet. There's trash bags and neat grabby sticks."

"Oh hey... since you like helping Karen out with stuff, do you think you can ask her if she'll join the New Student Integration thingy? Hrm, I guess that needs a better name, but yeah! There's a bunch of new transfer students coming in, and the Counselor wanted other students to help introduce them to the school."

Markus sighed. "I don't think I could find the way back back, even if I wanted to. Besides who would look out for you without me around. So stop overthinking for one second and remember we're in this together, just the way it should be and always has and I'm sure as soon as we find what passes for food around here you'll feel better." he teased before stepping back and stretching. "Hows this, a better deal. You worry about finding the goddess while I take care of any demons that have come here?"

Wow, this girl really did seem to be on the ball on this whole making new clubs and starting things up stuff. She even tried convincing Charlie to join despite the fact that he seemed to be more preoccuiped with little jazz hand-hand wave dance that he was doing while she was talking to him the entire time. He was abit impressed with her enthuasim still.

"Hmmm?" There she goes again, mention Karen as if she could read his mind. Man, Eric hoped that he didn't seem this obvious with Karen.

"Oh yeah, Karen usually likes to starts these things by herself. I think she will be very happy that someone else cares enough to do things like this without the student council having to get involved." He sounded like such a tool even he didn't like himself at the moment. Even if she was Karen's biggest competition, he still should have some tact and stop talking about her and student council like he was their spokesman.

"So..." Strangely enough, he found himself heading towards the janitor's closet first, the schudule in the back of his mind driving him to take the lead on the cleaning plan. "You're Melinda right? I mean I know I seen you around alot and I should have known your name already, but I didn't want keep calling you by the wrong name the entire time."

He glanced to check if Charlie was still following since this was really his thing that he had to do. He was, but he seemed to be in a trance at the moment, dance-hopping along behind Melinda, no ounce of shame within him as stopped in mid bounce to shimmy for a bit before returning to his skip-hopping. Man... Eric sometimes regrets mention that Charlie is related to him.

Melinda had to give Charlie props. He really didn't care about what other people thought about him! She couldn't help but occasionally cast a grin at his silly prancing. Her brief disappointment being washed away by the task at hand.

"Yep, I'm Melinda! I'd be surprised if you didn't know, I think I plastered my campaign posters everywhere buy the boy's bathroom." Upon reaching the janitor's closet, she opened it up. Everything was neatly stacked and organized, so it was easy to find the trash bags and the grab sticks. Melinda rolled out one of the trash cans too, pausing Charlie's dancing long enough to put him in charge of that. He could dance and push the can!

"Hmm. I want to start inside first, but I think Miss Io is lurking around still. I guess we can go do the outside grounds first, since the sports teams are probably out there tossing trash around."

Oh, wow. Miss Io. Even the mention of her name made him uncomfortable. He knew that he was a teenaged boy and usually older women with raw sex appeal were things out of a wet dream, but he couldn't help, but feel slightly terrified of her. There was something in the way that she held herself that made him want to run in fear of her. He figured it had something to do with semi-repressed understanding of sex itself, but there seemed to be something more buried under there.

He didn't want to mention that he really didn't pay attention to the poster she put up, though they maybe the reason why he remembered her face so well. "..." He glanced at her for a bit, the curiosity taking over him for a bit. "So... You're running for Student Council President senior year?" Normally, he wouldn't have been so nosy, but this did have something to do with Karen and he wanted to be ontop of everything so that he could impress her.

Charlie was too into his music out the moment, mutter out random verses to one of those Trend-Raps songs he was blasting on his MP3 Player. He sighed to himself as this seemingly was going to take much long that he had anticipated.

"Uh huh! Not that I think Karen is doing a bad job or anything, but I have a lot of really neat ideas. Now is such a great time to get the school working towards Green solutions, and since the budget has been taking a hit a lot of the changes could save the school money and we'd be better funded for our extra-curricular courses!" Melinda realized she was rambling on about one of those subjects most students really didn't give two shakes about. She gave an embarrassed shrug of her shoulders.

"Sorry, I guess I could save the speeches for the Debates. Soooo, right courtyard!" Now Melinda was leading the march, ever so often taking a look over her shoulder to make sure Charlie was following. Or to peer around the corner of a hall to check for teacher-enemies.

With the area deemed safe, the arrived at the center courtyard first. A big greenhouse enclosed area at the very center of the school. It was a place the Garden Club used for their growing season during the winter months and was often a favorite place for students to come have their lunches, study, or relax between classes. As usual, there was wrappers, papers and all kinds of things scattered around. Didn't people know how to use the trash cans?

"Are you going to prom this year? I'm heading up the Prom Committee," she paused and grinned, "Don't worry I'm not gonna ask you to volunteer for that too. But if you have some ideas, I'd like to hear them! We're going with a Fantasy Garden theme, which should be pretty neat."

His ears slightly perked up at the mention of fantasy. "Fantasy? Like the lord of the ring stuff?" He had a not-as-secret-as-he-hoped-for fascination with high fantasy and all things relating to the high fantasy vein.

Never having picked up a fantasy novel or watched high fantasy films, Eric's first foray into fantasy was by oogling the awesome little Fantasy nicknacks that an uncle of his had;playing cards filled with grand battles between dragons and mages, hand painted figurines of knights charging in against ogres, and this goregous painting of a woman beaming out these glowing irredescent lights, surround by a myriad floating gems ontop of a lavish throne.

Even while only getting a fleeting glance at those marvelous things, they were enough inspiration to spurn on dreams about venturing into far off lands filled with mythical creature and magical mysteries. Strong, vivid dreams. Dreams that lingered from his childhood and well into this very moment right now.

He stuck around Melinda for a bit, now curious at the theme as he used the little grabbing devices to pick up the trash. "Heh, are we going to dress up like elves and hobbits too? That would be kinda fun, honestly." Completely forgetting what they were talking about before, Eric nearly steamrolled himself into the suggestion for things at the prom.

"Maybe you guys can build like a paper mache dragon...Ooo, or maybe King can pull a sword out of a stone! Heh, we can make the teachers schproning dress up like orcs!" Eric seemed to be having a ball with these suggestions, really letting loose with his geekier side as his cousin seemed to be getting his groove on with the trash cans, practicing...Rather unsavory dances with the trash cans as stand infor what presumably would a female.

"Can I volunteer to help with the prom?" He was clearly excited at the idea and totally forgot that volunteer to help at the prom might mean that he wouldn't be able to go the prom with Karen Imawari.

"Oh man, a giant dragon would be so awesome...!" They could even collect recycled newspapers for the supplies! The Prom King and Queen could really dress like a King and Queen and having everyone in costume would be amazing!

"Sure! I can use all the help I can get! Oooh, dressing up in costumes would be so much more fun than the boring same old prom dresses. I bet we could even borrow some of the props out of the Drama department and make the place look like a real forest! And instead of balloons we could make big giant mushrooms and put those fiber optic twinkle lights in them so they glow in the dark!"

Paying Charlie no mind, Melinda snapped up a soda can and tossed it across the glass for a three point shot in to the garbage can. She bounced and waved her grabby stick in the air. "Oh, oh! Instead of just having a band or DJ, we could stage a wizard battle for the entertainment!"

"We should have a whole pryotechnic thing set up for the wizard fight thing too! And bards! We have to have bards! I am pretty sure there are people in the tri state area that knows how to play a lute right?"

They seemed to be setting up some sort of strange fun house rather than a prom, but Eric throughly enjoyed having someone to talk to outside of his work place about this kind of thing. For the sake of trying to seem normal, he completely kept his love for fantasy at work. He seriously never had such an interesting conversation with anyone at the school before.

Abit impressed with her litter tossing skilling, he seemed to challenge her shot by picking up a plastic bottle with the trash picker upper device and turned around. "Eyes closed, backwards. With the grabbing thing." He closed his eyes and with his hand still on the device he flung the bottle backwards over his shoulder.

KSSSH. Nothing, but plastic bag. "Heh, I bet you can't beat that, Mel." Strangely enough, Eric was much better at make strange trick shots than he was at make regular shots. He would just miss terribly. Just ask his 8th grade gym teacher who had to repair multiple gym window because of his terrible shots.

All the while, it seemed that the dancing really has Charlie on his feet, having him picking up more trash in the last 15 minutes than Eric and Melinda had with their prattling about dragons and trash waste bottle toss games.

Io let out another silent curse, her fists clenched tightly, as she walked away from the Tavian champions As soon as she was out of sight and in an empty classroom, Io stripped out of her disguise. This wasn't the evening she had planned. She was going to have some soul-sucking good fun at the seediest pub and mangling herself into the wild throws of passion, and now, due to those heroes, she thought disgustingly, Io would have to chase down the those two before they had an opportunity to search this world.

She slammed down the lock. Her mood going from foul to violent in a matter of minutes, and it was only to get worse if she didn't pull in some assistance soon.

Sneaking into an empty classroom was the easy part. Summoning up three rather large goblin-like creatures was another task completely. It wasn't as if it was hard to do. No, it was more unreliable since being chained to that – that creature. She wrinkled her nose. He took her minions, locked her powers, and made her nothing more than a lowly servant. That demon was going to pay!

…once she was free, of course.

Luna perked up and nodded. "Yes, right away, Markus. I won't let you down!" She practically jumped at him and latched her arms around him. It would take awhile to get in sync with this world, to know how the natural energy flowed and ebbed but once she got used to it, she should have little problems! She would be able to locate the goddess and detect any demonic presences in the area. It was a daunting task but it was amazing how Markus could inspire her to do her best and succeed!

Markus returned her hug but bit his lip. He shared her worries even if he kept the voice of doubt locked deep within. "Now great diviner. Divine us a way to the feasting hall." he joked as he took her hand and led her down the coridoor past a girl and boy who seemed to be discussing future leaders. This place was puzzling and he was glad he had Luna at his side. His experience in anything other than fighting demons and those who would side with them was limited to say the least. Luna had often stared and shaken her head whenever he revealed is inability to read.

Melinda laughed. Charlie getting more done than she or Eric didn't seem to phase her a bit. She was so entertained with finally getting a good brainstorm about something, that she was far more amused with having fun than her task for the afternoon. A rare treat.

"Not bad, but I could do better!" Snatching up a plastic bottle, Melinda was taking aim to bounce the thing off a nearby tree and have it land for a person point shot.

Except, after bouncing off the tree, instead of landing in the garbage pail, it veered off in to the air across the courtyard until bashed some poor student in the head. At least. He looked the right age for a student. Instead he and his companion seemed to be dressed in Drama Club costumes.

...."Sorry about that. I- WAIT!" Melinda's apology was cut short by her sudden shouting. She nearly bounced her way over to the two. Jumping in the way with both of her hands held up to block their path.

"Where did you get those costumes! Are they from the drama department? They look too good for something made out of Home Ec! Did you make them yourselves? You know, they're really really good. Have you thought about joining the Prom committee..?" All of it came out in such a rush, Melinda completely forgot to mention WHY she was asking or even introduce herself!