Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per day
  2. 1-3 posts per week
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Prestige
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
TALES of TALVIEN: The Maddening Mist medival/fantasy/bit of an info dump oops!

PREMISE
It was just 12 years ago when the last of the halfling kingdom Nadever was drowned in a sick fog. A fog that, while it seemed like any other mist by appearance, was actually capable of driving those caught into a vicious and bloody rage. The afflicted could do nothing but tear at those around them and once there was nothing else to attack, they would turn to their own bodies. A gruesome fate, and one that the entire continent of Talvien believed awaited them, until as suddenly as it appeared, the fog halted its advance. It became dormant, seemingly content to settle on Nadever and refrain from spreading its torturous effects to the neighboring dwarven nation or elven clans.

Until now...​

Chaos. Talvien found its descent into madness all too quick the moment a young dwarven merchant caravan reported one of their regular stops on the surface, a tiny farm village, had been lost to the fog since their last visit. The calamity, the Maddening Mist, was spreading once more and if the technological marvel that was the halfling capital and all of its researchers and alchemists couldn't halt it what hope did the rest of the races have?

The dwarves were quick to close ranks. They fooled themselves into believing their citadel buried deep within the Iron Hills would be spared with some preparation. The elven clansmen and their nomadic villages had no choice but move further west and into human territories, inciting outrage from the peasants as they complain to their local lords about not wanting "no damn flesh munchers digging up our dead uns."

All the while a feverish nightmare plagues the continent come evening. None of the civilized race are spared from the dream of a haunting divine halfblood, calling out for help, crying for salvation. Between her seemingly universal place in the minds of the people and the second coming of the Mist, many are convinced without a doubt that these are the end of times. It has to be.

And yet...
There are those who refuse the chaos. Those who refuse to watch the Maddening Mist swallow the world. Those who, just like Thirteen had nearly a millennia ago, stand to face the unknown despite it all. Cadeira, the illustrious and ambitious lizard empire, has funded an expedition party. With the miraculous arrival of a mysterious young mage capable of moving himself and others through the fog unharmed, there comes a hope. A chance.

And you my dear friend are one of the brave (or perhaps insane) souls destined to help stop the madness.

LORE AND OTHER INFORMATION

History
A vast and ultimately unforgiving continent, Talvien is defined by bloody conflicts of far too many forms. War and strife has been wrought between the races throughout the years. The continent and the founding of its current kingdoms can be traced back to The Thirteen, a legendary and now timeless band of heroes. A millennia ago, the Goddess who's name has since been forgotten at the behest of the heroes who defeated her, brought life to the wastes and created Talvien and the races that inhabited it. She bestowed upon her creations food, water, shelter and the ability to think and therefore grow.

As free will has always allowed, it was only a matter of time before her grateful subjects turned to selfishness, conflict and debauchery. Centuries passed before war and violence took root in Talvien but it was inevitable. For awhile the six races fought against one another other vehemently, the Goddess unable to do anything but watch her creations slaughter each other, until in an act of savagery (or in the eyes of the offenders--liberation) the Goddess true children, the Celestials, were slaughtered.

The Goddess was thrown into fury. Into insanity. Using her immense power she erected an army of the fallen, the corpses left behind after hundreds of years worth of conflict risen to destroy those who had destroyed them, risen to destroy the races she had foolishly allowed to grow too strong for her to face on her own.

The six races; humans, elves, dwarves, halflings, orcs and lizards had to band together in order to stand a chance against their creator. Against their progenitor. Centuries worth of racial pride and prejudice were overturned out of desperation thanks solely to the eleven representatives that forced their kin to open their eyes and the two eldest celestial twins that saw their mother and their siblings descent to madness before anyone else.

Together they made The Thirteen and together they led the armies of their people in a holy war. Countless died but they fought with valor and with absolutely everything on the line. The conflicted ended with the Goddess' defeat and her incomprehensible power as the creator of the world separated equally among the heroes that led the charge.

The Thirteen opted to watch over the world in a way far less involved than the Godess had, leaving behind their racial forms behind and transcending into the stars where they became the new Gods of Talvien and its six races.

And as it always has and always will, the world moved on. Generations passed and the peace and cooperation between the races were destined to end. Now nearly a millennia later, the idea of the races working together is nothing more than a pipe dream. The elves and the dwarves have become isolationists with only a few outliers here and there. The humans and the lizards are constantly expanding their empires and pushing uncomfortably against the races around them. The haflings have been decimated by the Mist and the orcs are either in hiding, dead or enslaved by the lizards that they had gone to war against.

Talvien is splintered and shattered and there are those beyond the fog that intend to benefit from it.
Deities

THE THIRTEEN

OCTAVIUS
/ PATRON OF THE LAW / LN, LG, LE /
Before divinity, Octavius was a dedicated paladin born to defend the helpless and smite those who would harm them, regardless if it was their intention or not. He was the mortal human who stood in front and led everyone into the decisive battle against the Goddess. Godhood has done little to change his attitude towards honor and tradition and he blesses those who evoke his name to serve justice.

Octavius holds domain over: Law, walls, blades, and discipline.

SYBIL
/ LADY OF LOVE / N, CN, CG, CE /
Sybil was a powerful sorceress who's diplomacy and persuasiveness rallied both her human kin and united the mortal eleven when the Celestial twins came to her in hopes of an ally. Her bloodline is rich with magical power and her followers tend to follow in suit. Sybil's passion for love and life remains the central focus to those who follow her however, so the non-magical are just as welcome as the those talented in the arcane.

Sybil holds domain over: Free love, free will, magic and roses.

GARNAG
/ EMBODIMENT OF RAGE / N, NE, CN, CE /
Garnag is the most fearsome and most ferocious warrior of the thirteen, a slave turned gladiator and later--a liberator. Above all else Garnag values and blesses those who lose themselves in the fight, those who turn to instinct rather than training, and those who call his name while they charge.

Garnag holds domain over: War, feasts, wild beasts, and strength.

SAHABI / KEEPER OF THE DEAD / LN, LE, N, NE /
Formerly a cruel but unmatched elven shaman, Sahabi both in divinity and before it forgoes her relation to nature as an elf to focus on the dead and the realms they inhabit. She went from overseeing the ritual and preservation of the graveyard of her clan to overseeing the plane of everest where all souls go when they leave the world. Those who follow this deity understand the inevitably of death and embrace in its certainty.

Sahabi holds domain over: Death, sleep, pain, and rest.

AKADUM
/ THE ALL-FORGER / N, LN, CN /
Akadum was the prodigal dwarven smith whose armor could withstand blows from the Celestial, from the Goddess herself, and whose weapons cut the a new path for the world underneath the Thirteen and not the progenitor Goddess. Followers of Akadum are all craftsman of some kind and are incredibly dedicated to their chosen craft.

Akadum holds domain over: Creation, armor, hammers, and metal.

CADE
/ THE MIND ABOVE MINDS / N, NG, CN, CG, /
Cade Havernash was the halfing whose intelligence knew no bounds. His methodical battle tactics and stunning alchemical creations turned the tides of battle time and time again, even thought man was more than happy pursuing knowledge as opposed to using it to harm others. Cade's temples are more akin to schools and libraries than a place of worship. He encourages all forms of gaining knowledge and free thought in his followers.

Cade holds domain over: Intelligence, knowledge, alchemy and books.

OBANIR
/ THE TONGUE DRIPPED IN SILVER / N, CN, CG, CE /
Obanir was a lizard who's charm and wit was incredible enough to compel beast, man and celestial alike! Those who swear to Obanir are the people who see the value in words and relations and charm. They seek to talk thing through and gain whatever they want with just the right set of compliments and favors.

Obanir holds domain over: Speechcraft, diplomacy, written words, and social places.

ENA
/ MASTER OF THE HUNT / N, NG, CN, CG /
Ena is she whose arrows tore the world asunder, who rose from a humble forest to become the patron of all nature and it's more docile beasts. Followers of Ena choose to live away from cities and commune with nature, be they druids who speak to animals or hunters who understand and respect their place in the cycle of life. Followers of Ena place the most value on life than any other religious following.

Ena holds domain over: Life, nature, calm beasts, the fey.

SEBASTYAN
/ GUARDIAN OF THE LIGHT / NG, LG, CG /
Before divinity, Sebastyan was a beautiful young man and cleric who's honeyed incantation and unrelenting hope inspired the faithful and god. After taking a part of the original Goddess' power he has become the embodiment of light, its guardian, and the Faith of Sebastyan is one of the most prevalent, if not oppressive, religious sects in Talvien.

Sebastyan holds domain over: Light, holiness, warmth and goodness.

ERDALEH
/ KEEPER OF THE ARTS / N, NG, CN, CG /
Erdaleh was a scaled and enchanting bard who not only fought alongside her brother and sisters in arms, but recorded it in songs and painting so that the world might never forget where it comes from. An increasing need of survival in Talvien has meant the arts have lost their place among whats valued and followers of Erdaleh seem to grow fewer and fewer each day.

Erdaleh holds domain over: Music, singing, painting, and dancing.

L'ÉTOILE
/ THE MORNING STAR / LN, LE, LG /
L'étoile was the Goddess' first true kin, her first daughter, and her first child. For centuries she served as her mother's righteous and unforgiving right hand and she would later become the only Celestial who knew her mother's fall was inevitable. L'étoile would go on to become a goddess herself and parent angels, divine beings who seek out injustices and correct them. Followers of L'étoile are steadfast, blunt, and have named themselves The Order of the Morning in her honor. They are particularly ruthless in their judgement and dole out justice in a way that some followers of Octavius might feel uncomfortable about.

L'étoile holds domain over: Righteousness, flames, order, and the sun.

ÉTOILE
/ THE NIGHT'S HERALD / CN, CE, CG /
Étoile is the younger twin brother of L'étoile and therefore the Goddess second true child. He was her free spirited and pleasure driven left hand and would later become the unfortunate father of demons when he tried to take on some of the Goddess' pain and insanity in hopes of trying to save his dear mother's life. In the end he worked alongside the Thirteen to stop her and thus earned his place in divinity, even if his older sister and Sebastyan hold him in distaste for his chaotic nature. Years of slander at the hands of the followers of Sebastyan and L'étoile alike as well as his ties to the nefarious demons known for leading mortals to awful deaths have made the followers of Étoile scarce and heavily judged if one if revealed to be one.

Étoile holds domain over: Pleasure, flames, indulgence and the moon.
Races

HUMANS are expansive, ambitious, versatile and heavily outnumber all the other races. They are second only to the lizards even though unlike their fellow races they are rather plain physically. What they lack in natural strength and abilities, they make up for with their determination and ideas. They are also the only race capable of crossbreeding though these relationships are usually frowned upon by most.

(Humans can have mixed breed children with elves, dwarves, halflings, demons and angels)
DWARVES are hardy, stubborn, industrial and defiantly proud. They've an extensive network built within the Iron Hills that's so developed and large that many dwarves go about their whole lives without seeing the surface world. Surfacers are usually looked down upon even though a large part of the dwarven economical success and security is thanks to their above-grounder's hard work.

They care little for interacting or dealing with the other races, too busy and too tied up in their own traditions and political storm to see what's wrong with everyone else.

ELVES are illusive and heavy isolationists. They are universally considered beautiful but also generally misunderstood/judged for their inherent fascination with death and the afterlife. They live longer than any of the races, their eldest nearing almost four hundred years in age before finally passing on to Sahabi's graveyard.

They live in, respect, and work to protect nature.
LIZARDS are aristocratic, haughty and probably the most openly racist group... though mostly because they are so assured in their superiority. They excel in just about every area, warfare and swordplay, magic and the arts, and they are naturally resistant to nature and sickness. All these attributes play in their empire's favor, the sheer power of the lizard race enough to force human, elves, and halflings into pursuing diplomacy for security's sake.

Lizards have recently overcome their orc neighbors and overtaken their land quite readily after a century long conflict in the making reached its boiling point.
HALFINGS are mischievous but undeniably ingenious little creatures. They've usually got luck on their side, but ever since the Maddening Mist, it seems like they have anything but. Most of their advanced technology and innovations have been lost to the fog, and the few Haflings that weren't affected are spread too thin across the continent to make a conscious effort to better their races statuses beyond unfortunate, intelligent refugees.

ORCS are bloodthirsty, direct and aggressive. They value strength both personally and strengthening their tribe regardless of the type of contribution. An orc who pursues an intellectual study is valued just as much as a warrior so long as he uses his abilities to benefit his tribe as best as he can.

Most orcs are either in hiding or enslaved however since their brutal loss against the lizard empire. They are the only race to have ever challenged the lizards head on.
TIEFLINGS are incredibly rare and the result of an unholy communion with a human and a demon. They share many traits with your typical human but there is an inherent duality with a more fiendish being within them, depending on the kind of demon that fathered them all Tieflings struggle to control their urge to satiate a certain pleasure, most often give in and develop infamy for their actions.

Tieflings can have unusually colored skin, unusually colored eyes, horns, and a tail. They usually have at least one of these attributes.
ASSIMARS are also incredibly rare but are actually a result of a rather unlikely communion between a human and an angel. Like tieflings, they are quite human with the exception of a desire to exact or display or demand the chosen virtue of the angel that parented them. Many become paladins and clerics for the holier deities.

Assimars usually have unusually colored hair and glowing eyes. Very rarely do they possess wings and when they do, they're often a target of blackmarket dealers with clients who will pay a heavy sum for this defining feature.
(NPC) ANGELS are lawful, merciless creatures that pursue and enforce their virtue of choice. They are not playable.

(NPC) DEMONS are chaotic, unpredictable creatures that pursue and draw people to their pleasure of choice--more often into unhealthy excess.

CONCLUSION
Hiya! I'm Eth and while I am new here, Tales from Talvien is something of a passion project I've worked on and off on! It draws inspiration from a lot of different medieval/fantasy mediums. I'm always happy to run it and see what happens so I thought I'd just throw this little interest check out there. Expect a classic medieval fantasy story with a heavy focus on races, religion and relations alongside your typical badass medieval fare.

Ideally looking for a group on the smaller side to throw headfirst into this universe!

Let me know if you have any questions. ♡

Last edited:
  • Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Applo
This looks pretty cool :)

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: ethicalslut
Ditto to the above. Interested!

• Bucket of Rainbows
Lit. *finger guns*

I'm aiming for a group of 5-7 players so if there's enough interest within the next few days, I'll have the sign-ups up and running along with more infodump on geography and magic!

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Applo
This sounds amazing!! Can't wait to see what happens already!!!

So yes, I am interested!!

• Love
I'll probably start (optimistically) working on the sign up thread soon! I know I literally just said I'd wait a few days but ya girl is easily susceptible to enthusiasm and gets excited all too quick.

-slides right in- And this would be Mr. Moon's third RP. But this sounded too cool to pass up. I'd like to do a Tiefling, if at all possible.

@Moonstone tifelings are the shitttt, I look forward to yours!

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Moonstone
@Moonstone tifelings are the shitttt, I look forward to yours!

Absolutely. And now will I be able to customize said tiefling? In DnD for a long time they only had red skin and devil tails. Only more recently have they let different bloodlines. Essentially I am asking if I can make my own bloodline and have fun?

I'll be watching for that link...your enthusiasm is contagious!!

• Love
And now will I be able to customize said tiefling?

I actually have around seven bloodlines, (generally inspired by the ones available in the Pathfinder set) that I was gonna throw your way! If one of them works for you then great if not, hell yeah I’d be more than happy to incorporate a custom bloodline!

• Thank You
  • Love
Reactions: PoetLore and Applo