Tales of Skyrim IC

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bandit camp wasn't exactly what Loïc was expecting, though he didn't know what he was expecting to begin with. In truth it didn't quite look at all like a brigand stronghold, but actually like the small town it once might've been. These people didn't look like a pack of wild dogs attacking defenceless prey, but simply a community living off the official grid. Though, from what he heard they do terrorise the road more than any normal village would.

With the others leaving him standing by the gates, Loïc took it upon himself to find a blacksmith, or at least someone skilled enough to decently sharpen an axe and fix a dented pouldron. As it turned out that wasn't much of a challenge, near the gate, in what looked like a rebuilt ruin of an old house, these brigands had set up a small, but functional smithy. With the clink of some coin, the smith was more than eager to fix the few minor problems he had with his gear.

Kararq rose in the morning, head pounding from the ale he'd drank. The Redguard had found ale and beer, but not one job for a mercenary like himself. He sighed. He decided he'd look in Falkreath, but after that, he'd just do his own thing, explore the barrows and such. He exited Whiterun, then saddled his horse and mounted her. He travelled slowly, as he still had a massive hangover.

After finishing businesses Rura left the table and went to the room she had rented. She slept for a few hours and then went left the tavern so she could head back to the sanctuary to see what Astrid's thoughts maybe. She went to the stables of Solitude and asked for a ride to Falkreath. She paid the man and was on her way for carriage was faster than walking. After a hour or so she arrived at Falkreath and got off. Then she made her way on the street heading the rest of the way to the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary. Once she arrived she noticed Astrid wasn't at her usual spot. 'I wonder what could be going on?' She made her way to where she usually saw Astrid's husband sharping his blade or training but before she fully entered she heard a new voice and the others talking. She went in and headed near the circle formed of the others but the one thing that caught her eye was not the man in the room but a coffin. 'Could it be? Is that her?' She waited and listened. Soon after everyone stopped chattering Astrid said, "When your ready Rura I wish to speak to you on many different matters and one is your next contract." Rura nodded and once Astrid headed back to where she usually planed. Rura headed over to the man who was still talking to someone but she couldn't figure out on who she wonder if it was the Nightmother or one of the others.

Once his gear was repaired, Loïc felt a bit more at ease. He had noticed they weren't as bloodthirsty as most brigands so they wouldn't jump him quite as quick as he would expect and even if they were planning on it now he had sharpened axes and sturdy armor, so he felt a bit more safe. Still though, he was tired, if they could provide him with a place to rest his head that would be great.
As such he set out to find the woman that brought him here, Ketty, he believed her name was. She seemed the least hostile of them all and still have enough sway to command a few heads. Standing out like a sore thumb in his dawnguard uniform, he set out to find the girl amongst the clan. Some gave him odd looks, others gave him odd names, but all of them left him alone. Eventually he found her talking to some people near the keep. "Hey, you!" Loïc yelled from a small distance before approaching. "You're a big shot around here right?"

Ketty heard Loic call out for someone. Turning her attention away from what she was doing, she glanced in his direction to see him approaching her. She smiled and then laughed a little at his comment about her being a big shot. She didn't really see it that way, but now that she thought about it, Carwyn's followers seemed to look up to her, most probably due to the quick bond she had formed with Carwyn because of his admiration of her skill in combat, or perhaps because she was willing to help out everyone in their tasks, earning their respect and her keep. She shrugged and then replied, "I guess you could say that. Why do you ask, is there anything I could help you with?"

The inn was pleasant enough for her tastes. Not too raunchy and yet not dead like the one in Windhelm. The food especially helped both her stomach and her quest - nothing got a tongue loosened quicker than a bottle of good Nord mead. Ylva had been subtle about it at first, but it seemed that nobody had a clue. Even when she'd taken her chances with a particularly drunk patron, the word "lycantrophy" and "cure" didn't seem to ring a bell with anyone.

Arcadia's Cauldron wasn't much help either. The morning after, Ylva had gone directly to Whiterun's famed alchemist to no avail. Although the old woman's shop seemed exotic enough to be hiding away a cure underneath the counter, all she'd been good for was a couple of disease curing potions. Which Ylva had promptly chugged, only to be met with an upset stomach and a slightly clearer head.

There had been one person the other night she hadn't had a chance to ask. A Redguard mercenary, who'd kept to his group of friends. Someone who'd walked Skyrim for ages compared to her. Someone who would've had the opportunity to hear the rumors across the land. At any rate, her visit in Whiterun had been what she'd come for - Arcadia's Cauldron and that had been a bust. She sprinted back the way she'd came, ignoring the guards' complaints before running down the road hoping to find the Redguard. She didn't have to run long before she spotted him down the road slumped atop his horse. "Wait! You!"

Kararq turned his head at the shouts, instinct taking over as his hand found the hilt of his scimitar. He looked at what appeared to be a Nord woman, though she looked..... weird. He narrowed his eyes at the sight of her. "What do you want?" He glared towards the lady. What kind of trick was the Nord going to pull?

"Yes, but I think we can help each other" Loïc replied. "If you give me a safe place to rest my head for the day, I'll give you information that may save your lives the next upcoming weeks or even months." What Loïc said wasn't necessarily a lie, but it wasn't the full truth either, but he kept that to himself... For now. Not that it mattered much, the woman before him seemed smart enough, she would realise his true motives should she accept his offer soo enough.

Ketty narrowed her eyes and lifted her chin with her thumb and forefinger, pondering. Her first instinct was to outright question how vast his knowledge of the area was to be able to foresee an event which could impact their group so badly that they would need to be saved. However, she decided to be more subtle and polite in her approach. She smiled and calmly said, "What information do you refer to?"

With the opening of his arms, the raising of his shoulders and a smug grin Loïc commanded a position smug superiority and replied. "What am I? Dawnguard? What do I do? Kill vampires. What information do I have? Information about vampires. Nearby vampires, mind you." If that didn't catch her attention he didn't know what would.

"I figured as much," she sighed, shaking her head in amusement of his heavily exaggerated speech. "I had hoped that vampires wouldn't sway this side of Skyrim, but if what you are saying is true, we could be exposed to imminent danger. But who's to say that you aren't attempting to deceive me in exchange for a guaranteed haven for the night? How can we be sure that vampires are truly heading to or near Helgen, or are even on the hunt for blood?"

Ketty folded her arms and rose a single brow, challenging Loic's wit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Loïc chuckled a bit. "Vampires are always out for blood, they are always hungry, always thristy..." From his pack he took out his folded map of Skyrim. Some locations were marked, others crossed out with charcoal and lastly some questionmarks. Loïc used his finger to circle Helgen "We are here, obviously, vampires on the otherhand are strong here" He circled Haemar's shame "here," North & south Shriekwind bastion "and have recently turned the bandits into a new brood here" his finger landed on South skybound watch. "As you can see, you're practically surrounded."

"I was sent here as the only one the dawnguard could spare at the moment to hold back the storm. Sadly, fighting a brood alone takes time and clearing out Bloodlet throne took too much time. I don't know how far the other nests have spread or how much of their food supply they already fed through. It's likely that the nightspawn will be wandering toward this location in the next coming days? Then again they might not show for weeks. If you're really lucky, they might never show up. Though I doubt that, you're smack in the middle of several roads and in plain sight."

Last edited by a moderator:
Kararq turned his head at the shouts, instinct taking over as his hand found the hilt of his scimitar. He looked at what appeared to be a Nord woman, though she looked..... weird. He narrowed his eyes at the sight of her. "What do you want?" He glared towards the lady. What kind of trick was the Nord going to pull?
Ylva pulled her hands up, far away from her stahlrim sword and backed up from the mercenary. He was obviously wel experienced - his actions spoke of a man who'd had many an attempt on his life. She cleared her throat. "I heard you're a mercenary for hire. A man like you, you're likely to have walked from one end of Skyrim to the other, right?" She smiled encouragingly, though in retrospect it would've been better to keep her canines from showing. "Slept at every inn, heard all the gossip. In case you haven't noticed, I'm new in country." She frowned and threw caution to the winds. His horse was nickering and Ylva didn't want to drag things out any longer. "What do you know of lycantrophy?"

Ylva pulled her hands up, far away from her stahlrim sword and backed up from scimitar the mercenary. He was obviously wel experienced - his actions spoke of a man who'd had many an attempt on his life. She cleared her throat. "I heard you're a mercenary for hire. A man like you, you're likely to have walked from one end of Skyrim to the other, right?" She smiled encouragingly, though in retrospect it would've been better to keep her canines from showing. "Slept at every inn, heard all the gossip. In case you haven't noticed, I'm new in country." She frowned and threw caution to the winds. His horse was nickering and Ylva didn't want to drag things out any longer. "What do you know of lycantrophy?"
Kararq chuckled, though he didn't relax a bit. " You say that like I'm some old man who's been adventuring for a million years. I'm probably around your age." Kararq quickly became serious again. "But yeah, I've encountered werewolves before. Damned hard to kill. The things don't want to stop, not even when full of arrows and about to take a scimitar to the neck. They can rip a man limb from limb with ease. If you want to kill a werewolf, you use silver. I heard rumors that lycanthropy is curable. Just don't know if their true. Probably someone in the Mages College in Winterhold would know more." Kararq steadied his horse, she was nervous for some reason. But Kararq had learned to trust his horses' instinct. A sudden realization hit Kararq and he peered even closer at the young woman. 'Why do you ask?" Kararq's hand tightened on the scimitar. He knew it wasn't silver, but if this lady was a werewolf, and she attacked him, he had to do something. On the other hand, she might not be a werewolf, but just studying them and he was overreacting; There was even the possibility that she was a werewolf seeking a cure, but he didn't know if he'd ever trust a werewolf, and why should he? They were beasts. There was something about this lady that spooked the horse, and he was pretty sure he knew what it was.

"So, Loïc, you want me to persuade Carwyn to help you clear out some vampires in this vicinity in exchange for a night's sleep?" Ketty smiled and moved her hand to her lip, as if she was thinking over this carefully. "While this does seem to be quite the noble cause, would it not be fair to point out that you were sent to remove the brood? You speak as if you would be able to wipe them out whether or not we assist you; and you will, since it is your duty to the Dawnguard to do so, not to us. What is it that you can do for us, or me, that would make any of us willing to consider offering you a place to rest for the night?"

"I never said you should help me, I merely gave you the info in exchange for a bed, do with it as you please." As he put away his map he took out an apple, some of the last meals in his pack. With a bite and a crooked smile he continued "I'll kill them... eventually. But then again, I decide who to kill and when. If I'm tired I might have to go after the weaker broods first, those that still hide freshly created in skybound watch. If I'm rested and on top of my strength, I might be able to go after the more aggressive vampires from Haemar's shame." He took another bite from the apple, his smug smile fixed on his strongle featured Breton face. He had to look up at her because of their height difference, but that didn't steal much from his arrogance. "If you still refuse to be accommodating, at the very least keep yourselves alive while I take care of business. Be someone else's problem for the Old Gods' sake. If you become vampires I have to waste more time, effort and money in these godsforsaken mountains."

"Worry not," Ketty replied, as she knelt down to adjust her left boot. "I had intended to say yes from the moment you had asked me. I'm a trusting woman, for the most part, and I can't see to it that anyone goes without being properly cared for. Besides, what sort of human being would it make me if I would allow the risk of my people to turn into vampires? Well, I suppose it wouldn't make me a human being for very long."

Ketty stood up again, looking Loïc dead in the eyes. Her friendly smile was intended to put any doubts in his mind to rest, and she tilted her head in the direction of the keep to show him which way they were about to set off. She wanted to show him where his room for the night would be, in case nightfall had dawned upon them before she had the chance, and she turned to walk. She then paused, and looked back at him.

"You're in a camp full of men who are branded as bandits," she said, matter-of-factly, but also with a tinge of curiosity. "Are you sure you can trust us not to steal your belongings? No, never mind that, I'm sure none of us will. But in case you can't trust us, there are chests in each room to which there is only one key."

As she walked away, she said quickly, "Is there anything you'd like to ask?"

"Is that so? I've seen silver blades before but I had not thought it would cut their thick hide. I suppose looks can be deceiving." Ylva tensed slightly under her clothes but she fought to keep his suspicions at bay. Although she'd spent years controlling her beast form, the open nature of her tribe hadn't taught her much on being a "normal" human. "I have come from Solstheim." She spoke slowly, choosing each word with great thought. "Recently, it has become home to many lycantrophs. The other Skaal know only the cure of death... it is too final of a decision. Although I have not fallen prey to Hircine's curse, people close to me have. I had hoped Skyrim would give me the answers I need to help my friends. Where is Winterhold? Is it near here?" She jingled the coins in her pocket, wondering how much his services would cost.

"Is that so? I've seen silver blades before but I had not thought it would cut their thick hide. I suppose looks can be deceiving." Ylva tensed slightly under her clothes but she fought to keep his suspicions at bay. Although she'd spent years controlling her beast form, the open nature of her tribe hadn't taught her much on being a "normal" human. "I have come from Solstheim." She spoke slowly, choosing each word with great thought. "Recently, it has become home to many lycantrophs. The other Skaal know only the cure of death... it is too final of a decision. Although I have not fallen prey to Hircine's curse, people close to me have. I had hoped Skyrim would give me the answers I need to help my friends. Where is Winterhold? Is it near here?" She jingled the coins in her pocket, wondering how much his services would cost.

Kararq sensed her tension, and decided to make a hit, see if she reacted in any way. "If you came from Solstheim, you probably landed just south of it at Windhelm. Winterhold is further north, in a small village that is obscured by blizzard. May be hard to find, but I'm sure you can make your way. Your hide-erm... your skaal armor should keep you warm, eh? Not like me, I've got no equipment to go op there, and no money to buy any. And where would your 'friends' be? I do see them around." Kararq held the gaze of werewolf (he thought he knew what she was, though he still didn't know if she posed a threat or not). He prepared himself to leave, run if need be, but then he heard the jingle of coin in her pocket. Now, he might be able to tolerate traveling with her if the right amount of money was involved....

"I don't have much to steal and besides, I'm a light sleeper. I have to be, especially at night."
As Ketty showed him his room, Loïc was delightfully surprised. It was small, barely two meters wide and three long. When the door opened its edges grazed the foot of the bed. There was a chest, aye, but it was one of the only things in the room beside the bed. There was no window or any other entrance except for the door with the room only being lit by a single sconce with a torch hanging from the far wall. For anyone else this would've been an uncomfortable resting place, but for Loïc it was perfect.

He tossed his axes into the chest, followed by his crossbow and bolts before sitting down onto the bed and sliding a steel dagger underneath his pillow. With a sigh he began unhooking his shoulder pauldron from his armor, while doing so he looked up at Ketty still standing in the doorway... not that there was any other place to stand.
"What are you actually doing here? In Helgen? You don't seem to be anything like any other bandits I've met, and I don't mean because you're a woman, I've sent many female bandits to the old gods so that's nothing new."

Status
Not open for further replies.