Tales of Amaranthine [No more people]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the barbarians should be hardy humans and dwarves living in side-by-side communities, or at least in trade with each other. I also really like the idea of the quest- this darkness perhaps causes the "evil" creatures of the globe to be more powerful, or at least become more aggressive. We must keep the monstrosities of the Frozenlands where they belong, lest they spread their ice and snow to consume Goniterbaskin.

I really like the idea of Fallensday. Another suggestion for a festival or holiday, just as essential as a celebration of those who have passed, is the celebration of the harvest. Nearly every culture on our Earth has one.

Spring is another nearly global one for holidays, the return of life to the land and the beginning of planting.

I had been thinking of Fenhi being mostly fertile plains with the eastern and western edges of the country being partly mountains as a natural barrier. In Ellie's history I mention a bit of the history, the beginning of the country as a single nation. It had been partly roaming nomads and partly cities that controlled the lands immediately around them. This guy suddenly shows up from Amaranthine with a set of laws given to him by the main god and manages to get the entire area (or at least a good chunk as it may have expanded) under his rule.

Random religion blurb! I have the main deity being Agrippa, representing Law and Light with the symbols being the horse and sun. Basic other Realms of Influence would likely be chaos/theivery, home/hearth, agriculture, the sea/weather, and the afterlife. Does anyone have ideas on names and symbolism, or even other realms of influence?

Chaos/thievery:
Cuskana Snake with a barbed tail behind a crescent moon

Home/hearth: Lonic
Peacock with a golden ring in its claws.

Agriculture: Stavent
Ox on a mountain

Sea/weather: Iskana
Eagle in a tornado

Afterlife: Atamain
Bat hanging upside down on a long dagger.

@Crono

So Fallensday will be a memorial/fasting holiday. I like that idea but when the sun sets there are amazing feasts that bring people together. It would be like combining Ramadan and Dia De La Muerte.

@KageKaioh

I like the ideas of it being humans and dwarves. But those dwarves will be ethnically different from the ones in Maal and the area around there, they are aggressive but they live in tribal societies whereas the Maal and others close to there are manipulative and are more egoistic. I was thinking Orcs but I am thinking anything with green skin would be more likely found in a swamp or jungle.

@Drakina

I think that is a good way that to show how religion can take over and control things, in both a positive and negative light depending on which way you choose to look at it. I think if you are going to do that, that we should have a native group who disagrees with that religion who is close by. Maybe we could make them similar to the Native Americans. What do you think?

@KageKaioh
@Drakina

Yes, I think we need the farming holidays planned out. Besides the harvest, the planting, and the winter, what other holidays are there for farming. Also if we do farming, what about ranching (for animals). Maybe there is a holiday where they celebrate the birth of all of a specific kind of animal on the farm and it could be like a New Years thing, but what animal is picked is by which animal is born closest to the first of the year.

Also we need to make a calendar.

@Crono

I like the icon for the home and hearth but I think the God needs a more feminine name, in my opinion.
I like the agriculture God and the symbolism.
I think sea and weather should be broken up, but Iskana should be the weather Goddess and the symbolism should stay for her.
And I love Atamain and his symbolism.

I think that a rat would be a better symbol for thievery and I would prefer a different name like Saber or Xule, something short and to the point.

Tell me if I have gotten the genders wrong.

I am having a LOT more trouble with this backstory than I thought I would. >:l

How about Ionia for the goddess of home and hearth?

God of Sea: Roth, Symbol: Mast & Sail.

Ionia sounds good. How about a whale with a mast and sail on its back?

┏ N a m e ┐
-- Dagnyr Linde

┏ A g e ┐

┏ R a c e ┐
-- Human

┏ G e n d e r ┐
-- Male

┏ P r o p h e t i c - R o l e ┐
-- A warrior seeking revenge.

┏ S k i l l s ┐
---[Master Swordsman] Dagnyr has been trained since childhood in the ways of the sword and paired with his first hand experience on the battlefield, is quite proficient. He wields a set of shortswords rather than burden himself with a shield, his fighting style relying more on agility than endurance.
---[Berserker] Dagnyr is able to put himself into a trance fueled only by hate and rage, allowing him to ignore pain and fatigue and bestowing superhuman strength. Once in the trance, it is very difficult to get out of it and he is unable to distinguish between friend and foe so it is best to stand out of his way. The berserker trance is draining and once gone, leaves Dagnyr exhausted and listless.
---[Camp Domestics] Dagnyr has spent much time on campaign and has an easy time setting up and dismantling camp. He knows the basics of cooking and is rather proficient with a needle and thread.
---[Coercion] Dagnyr is a fierce fighter who has seen some of the most terrifying battles the realm has known. Due to this, he is hard to intimidate and isn't afraid to use force to get what he needs. Coupled with the savage reputation of the barbarian clans of the North, Dag is a very effective enforcer. In truth, diplomacy is not a trait he inherited from his mother.

┏ A p p e a r a n c e ┐
--Dagnyr of Linde

┏ B i o g r a p h y ┐
-- Wintermane is not a forgiving landscape, particularly on the border with the Frozenlands. The winter tundra is unrelenting and frigid, allowing only the strongest to survive. In the past, Wintermane was home to hundreds of small clans and tribes all battling one another for dominance. These skirmishes were often short-lived but bloody, often wiping entire clans from the history books in one fell swoop. Then, without warning, from the Frozenlands descended monsters from nightmare, a ghoulish force that decimated any who stood in their path. It was only this threat that brought together the various clans of the North into one united force.

Dagnyr grew up among the Northern Barbarians, son to the chief of clan Linde. His life was relatively simple, he spent the majority of his adolescence training for his time on the front lines against the Vyshtar. The other clans in his region were mostly peaceful and so they benefited greatly by way of trade with their neighbors. He had many friends, both within his clan and without and was as happy as one could be in a desolate land where death could come from just about anywhere.

It was about a year ago that things went terribly wrong for Dagnyr. Clan Linde got word from one of the neighboring clans that the Vyshtar had mounted a sizable force and that Linde was needed to help combat them. The chief, Dagnyr's mother, was quick to act, calling her people to arms immediately and riding out to meet their neighboring clan and join them in battle. When they arrived, they found their neighbor absent but the Vyshtar in full force. They fought against the fiendish tide but the numbers were against them, their force was decimated in two days time. Dagnyr, who had suffered a life threatening injury early on, had been removed from the battle and was one of only five to survive the battle.

That battle was the end of Clan Linde, the other survivors drifted away to join up with other clans and Dagnyr was left on his own to mourn. His grief turned quickly to rage, burning with pure hatred for the Vyshtar and their deadly sorcery. He came to the conclusion that this race was too much for his people to match and that it was only a matter of time before Wintermane fell. With no home to return to, Dagnyr turned from Wintermane and set out into the world in search of a weapon that could turn the tide of battle in the North.

┏ O t h e r ┐
-- Dag is five foot nine, and bears many scars on his body. He tends to wear mostly leather armor as ore isn't as readily available in Wintermane as the southern lands.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 people
What's everyone think? I named the monstrosity in the Frozenlands Vyshtar but totally okay with changing that. Just needed a name to work with in the profile. Also thinking of changing the [Spirit Communion] to [Berserker] to make him entirely non-mystic... Did that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tarot- I was actually thinking of an Orc-like race at first as well. We are creating our own world, so why not give the Northern Orcs paler skin?

I like the idea of the year being "blessed" in a way by whichever animal is born first in the new year. As for the calender, in our D&D group we use 13 months of 28 days each. It keeps things simple and it is easy to measure/roll for. Seeing as this does not require dice, it can really be any number of months with an even amount of days, though. If you want to get more specific, we would need to decide if it was a lunar or solar calender.

I would have to think on the festivals a bit to come up with anything cohesive, but as far as the deities go, I actually find the serpent to be very fitting for a god of thieves. Snakes represent something dangerous and stealthy, quiet and powerful. Also, the idiom "snake in the grass" means either a treacherous person or a hidden blade.

Harper- I quite like Dagnyr! The motive behind his vengeance is powerful. I also like the name you chose for the monsters in the Frozenlands.

On another note, I need a nation for Nivedus' origin. Any suggestions?

@KageKaioh Thanks! And since Nivedus is so gorgeously tan, maybe he could be from Ysliderati since I believe it was said that part of it is desert?

Also, I thought of a Barbarian-centric holiday. Torvin, a celebration of the joining of the clans of Wintermane into one united force. The celebration lasts nine days which marks the beginning and end of the original peace talks between clans. The festival is marked by lavish feasts (by barbarian standards) and competitions of strength and skill to give the clans an alternative to outright war with each other. Might be fun for the company to arrive during the festival when they travel that way.

Hm, I quite like that idea. Tarot said the eastern side of Ysilderati is desert, so I am thinking Embertide; and seeing as he is definitely a city-boy, he can be from Calfen. I was also thinking that perhaps Chau can be the Gnome haven- a little nation of chaos.

Continuing with races in Wintermane... In one of the worlds I've created (and am running a AD&D 2nd edition game in) I have dark skinned elves that have naturally adapted to the cold and have a hard time staying cool in warmer areas, but are extraordinary survivalists in tundra/arctic areas. Their skin is dark to help them absorb the warmth of the sun. They're also a lot more practical and tribal than high elves perhaps similar to that of wood elves (although I usually think Dalish Elves from Dragon Age when it comes to wood elves in my mind).

Ah, another AD&D player! I feel very alone sometimes when I talk about D&D and all anyone knows is 3.5 and up. Anyway, I like the sound of these elves. I imagine they are the ones brave enough and capable enough to really venture into the Frozenlands, perhaps in search of skins, ivory, magic components and other valuables. They could easily become the crux of the trading business in Wintermane if this is the case.

First off, sorry guys, I have been really busy with school up and coming next week. But I am going to try to be as active as I can until then, and when next week hits I will make a schedule of when I can be on.

@KageKaioh
Why not? I would like there to be a little diversity in our world so while/pale orcs could be one of those things. I also like the elves Yah mentioned. I am a 3.5er for D&D but I prefer Pathfinder honestly. I do not have any of the books or I would be looking up things left and right to see what I could add in here.

Okay, I will have to make some lore for that. Maybe dealing with a God/Goddess of the animals/nature. Crono, Yah, do you have any ideas for that God since you all seem to make good God-makers? I am thinking though I want the symbolism of this God to be a bear track with a leaf in the middle. So the bear will represent this God but it will not directly be in the picture.

I am thinking it will be a 360 day year with 12 months with 30 days. If we were to make it a tad bit more complicated what would you suggest as far as the lunar/solar calendar? Also maybe this calender is not made to map in the seasons one-hundred percent but to map out phases of the moon or sun? Which is why it is so structured, it takes 30 days for a single phase.

Okay, then we can go with the snake. Man, I really am going to try to draw some of these things out but I am going to suck at it. OTZ

@Harper
Torvin sounds like a fun holiday. It might make Kidgit a little nervous, so many tall people battling each other for glory in the arena, if she knew fear, she probably would back down from participating.

@KageKaioh
Chau should be the HQ of Gnomes, it is a little country in the midst of a lot of things, though the countries around it may be a bit annoyed with the gnomes, playing tricks, being devious, and their irate curiosity.

Everyone, I condensed the profiles here, so if you need a easy to access reference guide, here it is. Sorry guys, I am OCD about profiles. OTZ

Also be thinking of how and where you want to start the role-play. We all will be somewhere in Amaranthine but with whom will depend. Yah and I are planning on starting together and if you need any ideas feel free to juggle them here or ask for help from others.

Considering we are creating a whole world, it depends on how simplified you want things. We could easily go for a lunar calender as you suggested, however, if we wanted to get more complex and realistic with things, we can employ intercalery days. Intercalery days are common on Lunar calenders here on earth, as the phases of the moon typically take around 28 days. Added up and divided into a 12 month, 356 year, you end up with about 11 extra days. These days are dealt with in some pretty interesting ways by various cultures, for example, the Egyptians had a 30 day, 12-month calender with 5 intercalery days, while the Aztecs had a 20-day, 18-month calender with 5 intercalery days as well. If we use something like that, maybe the intercalery days could be the time when Fallensday is celebrated? The time between years, when the bridge between the living and the dead is formed?

A solar calender, on the other hand, is only really ruled by how many days it takes for the planet to revolve around its central star. This can be divided up however those in charge see fit; based around holidays, important dates or simply the changing of the seasons.

Another thing to consider is whether or not every country/continent uses the same calender system. Perhaps there is a nation that uses something more Native American, where they did not separate things into months or weeks; they simply named the passing of the full moon. Things like Bent Wheat Moon, Driven Snows Moon and Blossom Moon denote the time of year, but not much more. It is just enough to tell you when something happened.

Also, I wanted to offer my drawing skills for this. I can even make a better map if you would like. I really enjoy making maps.

Bah! So much happens when I forget to go on! Huge apologies, I have become unused to getting online everyday... I shall attempt to do better!

Ah, KageKaioh told me he has finished the picture of Ellie, so I'll be adding it into my profile just as soon as I get the image. I don't know if you'll have to change the one in the profile thread or if it will be automatic...

As for how we start, I kinda had an idea. Well, it's more for when everyone meets up. But everyone be in the same town/city/something when there's some sort of emergency- be it monster, bandit raid, or whatever- happens and we all just jump to action, and realize after the fact that we worked well together. I know it's kinda cliche, but it's less so than the voice of the gods suddenly booming down at us that we are chosen to save the world. Which I will admit ran through my head for a moment.

Random question- Will our characters be able to learn new skills along the way? Having a grand epic journey with only the same 3-5 skill set seems off to me, for lack of better phrasing.

I imagine we'll have opportunities to "level up". This seems like that kind of RP where characters evolve and get stronger.

I just wanted to let everyone know that my posting and productivity may be slowed for a bit. I just got back from the ER, and have been diagnosed with strep. So... yea. I feel awful, but I hope to be on still and offer my input.

Status
Not open for further replies.