Tales of Amaranthine [No more people]

Status
Not open for further replies.
For anyone who needs help coming up with an age for their character because they are not human, use this.

Hmmm, for my Warrior I was thinking he may be a former Crusader type person. If we're doing a polytheistic religion, then one of the more conservative gods. I'm thinking he's seeking revenge against the leader of his Order who betrayed him by killing a loved one. I think the whole "crisis of Faith" thing'll be fun to play. Also, I second the vote for the void drake, thing looks badass.

I've been working on my character steadily going to take me a bit to get a backstory I'm comfortable with, but I think I'll enjoy playing my touched sorceress.

[bg=teal]
┏ N a m e ┐
-- Kidgit Tinktonk

┏ A g e ┐
-- Sixty Eight

┏ R a c e ┐
-- Gnome

┏ G e n d e r ┐
-- Female

┏ P r o p h e t i c - R o l e ┐
-- A rogue that had committed a heinous crime.

┏ S k i l l s ┐
---[Thievery] Being a thief, Kidgit has developed a lot of skill in pick-pocketing and lock-picking.
---[Light Swords] Using light weapons was the easiest thing to use, being a thief. It allowed for quick, stealthy attacks and it didn't
------------------------weight her down. She uses the rapier and daggers the best.
---[Silver Tongued] In her line of work, Kidgit has to know what to say to get her way, get out of trouble, get information, and so much
---------------------------more. So she has developed not only a way of speaking but the vocabulary and context depth expression to use.
---[Stealth] One of the most important skills of being a thief. You have to know how to use the darkness and/or your surroundings to
----------------blend in or get away.

┏ A p p e a r a n c e ┐
-- Rogue

┏ B i o g r a p h y ┐
-- Kidgit had a very happy beginning, unlike most of her race who was facing extreme racism from the dwarves in Vendated Maal. Her parents owned a small farm away from most of the fighting and towns so they hardly ever interacted with others unless they went to town to sell what they had grown, and even then they had magnificent luck, never having bandits come and steal their supplies, never running into extreme forms of biases. But like everything else, all good things come to an end. The dwarves, who lived in underground communities were able to dig through the center of Vendated Maal because it was far enough away from the ocean and the gore. But that also meant they were able to expand it as far as they wanted and soon the depths encroached on Kidgit's family's farmland. At first life went on like it normally did but then the mining started taking out depth and mineral deposits so it started killing the plants, from the crops they grew to the grass that fed the livestock. They could not say anything because even if they did it would only turn out bad for them. Kidgit's father tried to sell the land that they had but everyone knew that it was no longer stable farmland and so no one wanted to buy it. Except for of course, a dwarf.

After coming to a deal and handing over the money, the dwarf cried out that they were thieves and try to swindle him out of his farm. No one believed them and they were imprisoned. After two months in a cell with no sign of release she saw her parents and brother being dragged away and that was the last she had ever saw of them. Kidgit was told that she was lucky, not to have a fate like theirs so she could only assume that they were dead. After a month of denial one of the prison guards took her to a port with a few other gnomes and others of a variety of species, and they were sold into slavery.

Some of the people that she had boarded with were too sick and too old to make the journey so they died. That was the first time that Kidgit had to look death in the face, and all the dwarves did for them was throw them overboard. This enraged Kidgit and so she started to get back at the dwarves in small ways, which mean stealing things, tripping them, and so much more. Sometimes it equated in being punished, but that fulfillment of harming her captives made her happy. They only had a week left on the boat when Kidgit started an uprising, they almost got away with it too, except the dwarves were armed and were able to recover quickly. She got named as the leader of the riot and so she was taught a whole new level of pain that she would never be able to forget.

When they arrived at Maal, dwarven headquarters, Kidgit was sold to a wealthy family, and was treated no better than a vermin. But that was okay, she was working on her skill, she was going to leave that life and she would make everyone who hurt her and her family suffer. It was big dreams for someone so small and weak but it was what got her through the days.

It was one day that she ended up stealing most of the valuable of the house and leaving, only for no one to find her. She found a fence in Jaulence that bought all of her stuff for a good price and gave her directions to a city of thieves in Baykeep.

Kidgit ended up in the city of thieves at the age of thirty and trained there under various people who would teach her a trick or two and she slowly climbed the ladder in infamy and had a reputation for a dwarf-hating gnome who could get things done. Many runaway slaves came to her for help with their dwarven issues and she ended up killing people as well.

It wasn't til Kidgit left for Amaranthine at the age of sixty that she committed a heinous crime. She had paired up with people plenty of times before to get jobs done, whether or not she split the loot up evenly was another question. But a dwarven girl had come to her for aid, but not before befriending her. It took a lot of time and patience, but the child had it. She wanted to get a friend who had been captured by the dwarves of Vendated Maal and she wanted to bring him back to Amaranthine. She said she would help. Because she was a friends and because this would be a way that she could get back at the other dwarves she accepted without hesitation.

The thing was, she should have looked into the situation before making the choice. To this day she regrets that. They were almost there, they had broken into a mansion and they had freed the girl's friend. But it was a trap, the boy that she knew changed sides and said that he could get a rebel for them. They were both thrown in jail and they were set to be executed the next day. Being the great thief that she was, Kidgit had a lock-pick and was able to escape but on the way to the girl's cell she saw the pyres that were set up for their execution and one was on fire. She heard the wales and cries from her friend and all she could do was stand there, she even cried which was thought impossible because she said she cried her last years ago. She had committed a heinous crime, she let a friend, a contact, and a child die that day.

Escaping back to Amaranthine Kidgit went back to her old ways, but never once forgetting what happened that day and having it weight on her conscious.

┏ O t h e r ┐
-- Kidgit stands about three and a half feet tall and she is very nimble.

[/bg]

If anyone wants to make up stories about any areas besides Amaranthine, The Maals, and the thieves town in Baykeep, go ahead. We have enough area to do that.

┏ N a m e ┐
-- Lady Elisandra Tallowind

┏ A g e ┐

┏ R a c e ┐
-- Elf

┏ G e n d e r ┐
-- Female

-- Touched Sorceress

┏ S k i l l s ┐
---[Scalding Breeze] One of Elisandra's most commonly used spells for combat it lets loose a blast of wind that causes severe burns and if left in it for long enough the heat can kill it covers a large area and knows no friends.
---[Cooking] Elisandra has an extraordinary talent for cooking, even her traipse towards madness has not affected her ability to cook up a fantastic meal out of meager ingredients.
---[Flight] As a sorceress that can manipulate air and wind adeptly she has the ability to use her magic to fly although she personally has a dislike to heights.
---[Wind Control] Overall, Elisandra's magical capability is focused on air and wind allowing her to control or even create wind flows of various powers although more magic is required for stronger winds. She may be able to create a wind that could easily knock someone over without too much effort, but a blast that could rip someone apart would be enough to wear her out a bit.

┏ A p p e a r a n c e ┐
-- Lady Elisandra is an average height for a wood elf with a thin build. She has a tattoo of silver wind designs running all the way up her left left and side and it has even spread along her lower back. The tattoo spreads as she uses her magic. She wears clothing that is easy to move in, although the kind of clothes doesn't really matter to her outside of that. She has permanent black circles under her eyes from chronic sleep issues.

┏ B i o g r a p h y ┐
Elisandra was raised in an elvish city in the province of Quinn on the continent of Amaranthine called Selene. Her parents were shamans and therefor held a high level of respect among the elves of the city. She herself had been tested to have talent for magic, however her desire was to never take over the family responsibilities and she chose to leave that to her younger brother who had some skill himself even if it wasn't quite as natural as hers. She grew up with an incredible curiosity about the world as she wanted to travel the world and explore. As soon as she was considered an adult she left her home and began her travels. She reveled in the diversity of people after she left her home city as most of the other races only passed through Selene for trade business, thus she had very irregular contact with other races. She found humans to be especially fascinating as they hurried back and forth seemingly in a rush to get things done.

She met a human merchant named Allan Sinclair and spent a year traveling with him. He taught her how to cook and they became very close friends. They might have become more except for a bandit attack that ended with two arrows in his chest. In a fury she conjured up the burning winds and toasted the bandits and accidentally some of the guards. This vicious display of magic caused the breeze tattoo that covered a small part of her leg to spread to cover her entire left leg. Every day of the next six months she spent with night terrors. This had been the first time she had killed and she had done it out of pure anger. The terrors slowed down significantly after the six months had ended, but they never completely stopped. She withdrew from interacting with other people especially humans for five years after that, only speaking with them when she needed to and when that happened she tried to keep it brief.

She eventually decided it would be prudent to leave Amaranthine altogether to try and forget about the terrible incident. She traveled to the port city of Siren's Call on the continent of Ysliderate in the province of Aileene. The change of scenery left her fascinated. The weather was warmer than Amaranthine's and the port city was even busier than any city she had been to. At least that was how it was in her eyes. She ended up following a caravan through the jungle road into the Republic of Servanteen. The guards in the caravan were especially on guard at night due to the predators that often picked off stray merchants and travelers. It was here in the Republic she had her first experience flying on their trained griffon travel system, something she found fascinating until she learned about her incredible fear of flying. Even though she herself could use magic to fly, she had never once felt the need to use it and never thought to try it out, but she decided from her flying on griffons that she would never use her flight magic on herself. Flying felt completely unnatural to her.

Eventually, she grew weary of her new stomping ground and decided to take a ship to a different one and made her way by boat to Ryden of the province Baykeep within Bottane. On the way there pirates attacked and again, Elisandra was forced into using her magic to kill. A strong blast of wind knocked several of the pirates off their ship and toppled the pirate's ship. Her tattoos spread up her side and over her lower back and voices struck her mind taunting her and teasing her. She spent the rest of her trip in her quarters and it took the captain and his crew some work to remove her from the ship when the arrived. She spent two years in a tavern and went broke while she hid from the rest of the world trying to deal with her growing madness by herself. She found herself on the street before she collected herself.

Ever since the incident where she slaughtered the pirates, she ended up with occasional bouts of various types of madness with long periods of sanity. She began to realize that she would need to find a friend to help her through the periods of madness. With her newfound bad reputation within Baykeep she knew she had to leave and ended up following a caravan, but never completely joining it. She followed it all the way to Shki in the Venpre province. The dwarven city was less than welcoming and Elisandra was on the receiving end of some serious racism. Somehow on the caravan trip she had managed to collect some money, but it was hardly enough to stay a night and have a meal. Finding no comfort in this part of the world, Elisandra decided to return to Amaranthine from Maal so she could return to a comfortable place.

┏ O t h e r ┐
-- In Baykeep she is known as the Homeless Madwoman.

Hey guys, for the rest of the week I will be at my mother's house for Christmas, so after today, I will not be able to reply since there is no internet there. Just saying so you all know.

┏ N a m e ┐
-- Elly Farlend

┏ A g e ┐

┏ R a c e ┐
-- Elf

┏ G e n d e r ┐
-- Female

-- The ranger who lost a dear freind

┏ S k i l l s ┐
---[Archery] Some say she shot a salamander in the head when she was 12(which is like a newborn to elves) She almost never misses without some extremely powerful defect, like fear. Carries a large bow only slightly shorter then her and a quiver of differently enchanted arrows.

---[Agility] Light as a feather. Quick as a fly. Elly can climb, jump, or run across nearly anything at amazing speeds.

---[Hunters Gotta Hunt] Elly is a excellent tracker and can tell nearly anything about a animal just by glancing at a footprint. Thus, she is adept at gathering plenty of food for her friends.

---[Charm] There's no denying it, Elly is a cutie. She rarely uses this perk due to her believing of it being against her morals. If she must she can convince nearly any man to do as she wishes.
┏ A p p e a r a n c e ┐
-- http://www.zerochan.net/1556257 just add a long scar spiraling around her left arm.

┏ B i o g r a p h y ┐
-- Born in a house of hunters famous throughout Noti, a elvish city, Elly was trained from birth to continue the family legacy. As said before, she showed amazing promise at a young age but there was a problem. Elly was a midget. She was bullied in school and, by her teens, went into a deep depression, spending most of her time in her room practicing less and less and less. Then a new kid joined there school. Her name was Faith Marrico and at first, Elly avoided her, like she did with most students. Then one day Elly was on her way home when she heard loud noises and yelling coming from Faith's house. She worked up the courage to enter the house and saw a portly looking elven man beating Faith with a large stick, calling her 'useless' and 'stupid'. Elly felt herself launch forward and put the fat man in a choke hold. He fainted, then Faith got up and hugged Elly with tears in her eyes, whispering "Thank you. Thank you. My father would have killed me. Thank you." The two walked to Elly's house as Faith told her that her father was a short tempered drunk that had impossible expectations of her and beat her when she got grades under A. Faith was adopted by Elly's parents and lived in there house. The two went from calling each other friends to sisters in little time. Elly taught Faith archery and once again learned to love to train everyday. They left for college at 62 and both were star students. However when they returned they were horrified to see Noti reduced to ash by a monster of legend, The Void Drake Chillblood. A unholy demon bought to this world by dark magic long ago, feared for its shadowy powers and famously devastating Black Breath. Their friends were dead, their elders were dead, and their parents were dead. Full of rage, the two set off to slay the vile beast and avenge their homeland. The demon laid deep in Dreadmoor Forest, it's trees now nothing more then standing cinders. Faith and Elly fought as hard as they could, fueled by the final wishes of their brethren, and wounded the creature mortally. The demon in its last moments grabbed poor Faith in its claws and began to flee. It was several miles away and Elly was wounded, the shot seemed impossible. But she did it. The arrow flue beautifully and stuck Chillblood in the head. It crashed down, dead. However not without a price, the beast's long, hooked talon was impaled though Elly's dearest friend and the girl only had time to say,"I will always be with you sister." before she died. Elly left her ashen town in tears and now simply walks down the road. Rarely speaking, only using her bow when she needs to eat.

┏ O t h e r ┐
-- A song was sung by the few survivors of Chillblood's attack. Elly can never forget it and finds herself singing it at times.

Far over the old forests cold
To mounds of ash and ruins old
I must away ere break of day,
To flee from a long-forgotten nold

The pines were roaring on the height
The winds were moaning in the night
The blood was red, the flaming spread
The trees like torches blazed with light.

Faith before 'death' (top):
http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/anime-elfs/images/22113419/title/anime-elf-photo

Faith now:
http://s748.photobucket.com/user/Ho...-girl-sword-woman-484320_zpse00ab198.jpg.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not all that happy about how his bio is written up, so it may change after the holidays.

[bg=teal]
┏ N a m e ┐
-- Nivedus Anifacis

┏ A g e ┐

┏ R a c e ┐
-- Aasimar

┏ G e n d e r ┐
-- Male

-- Mage who learned a forbidden art.

┏ S k i l l s ┐
---[Perceptive] Nivedus has a keen eye when it comes to many things, particularly body language. Thus, he is able to pick up on and decipher things in ways most others can not.
---[Charm] Sly, sliver-tongued and handsome, Nivedus is not above seducing others to his will, whatever it may be.
---[Sabre] Unlike most mages, Nivedus is trained in a bladed weapon. He uses this light, thin, enchanted blade with a fair amount of efficiency.
---[Spells] He has many a spell in his repertoire, from harming to healing- you never know what the mage might cast next.

┏ A p p e a r a n c e ┐
-- Nivedus appears to be a particularly handsome elf with remarkable coloration. His warm, tanned skin has a barely perceptible shimmer of lustrous bronze in the daylight; His fine, sleek hair looks as though is it spun silver; and his eyes seem to be made of peridot, shining with secrecy and mirth. His hands and forearms are covered in bizarre looking scars, everything from burns to deep gashes- all remnants of the dangerous magic he wields. He stands just over six feet tall, lean but strong as any elf. (Please forgive the lack of detail and refinement, I made the image in a hurry.)

┏ B i o g r a p h y ┐
-- Nivedus was born different from other elves, his stunning features setting him apart as one of Celestial lineage. This hardly changed his young life, the years being filled with joy and many friends. However, as he grew older and showed talent for the arcane arts, others started to treat him differently, looking upon him with awe and jealousy. When he reached schooling age, a great pressure was put upon him by his parents and teachers, as they expected great things from the quickly aging boy. This treatment had two effects, one being a superiority complex, the other being the fear of never living up to these grand ideals.

Though he excelled in his schooling, the impetuous Aasimar wanted more. He wanted to prove he was better than any other race that shared those halls of learning; he wanted to show that he, a chosen on of the Celestial blood, was destined for greatness. One thing got in his way of this- the time it took to properly learn spells, the hours needed understand each new weave as you memorized incantations and played with getting just the right amount of materials. How could he become greater if he simply did what everyone else was? There had to be a better way to gain power, and he would find it.

Find it he did. After months of sneaking into the off-limits room of the tower's library, he came across a strange scroll written in mottled brown and red ink. Here, on the dry, faded vellum, was the tool to give him the power of a god. It would eliminate the need for those chanted words, dusts, gems and bits of string. He could simply take whatever spell he wanted and use it. It took weeks to covertly collect the materials needed through bribery and stealth, then two moons of waiting until just the right conditions. Finally, and with some difficulty, he cast the spell. Power washing over him as the room was filled with the darkness of night. As quickly as the burst of magic came, however, it was gone. He felt no different, and fury swept through him. In rage, he tore the scroll and threw it to the ground. It was then that he noticed the physical components of the spell had been used up.

With his few loyal friends, he practiced in secret, absorbing spells and casting them with nothing more than a thought and a pull at the weave. His ego grew and he tried it with more and more powerful spells until one day, he learned of the dangers the power he had unleashed harbored. He failed in absorbing a spell, causing the power to double upon itself. Three of the five young mages ended up in the infirmary, including Nivedus. Serious injury kept them in bed for days, the most powerful healing tools available used to help them. In the end, someone told the Archmages, and Nivedus was banished from not only the school, but his home city, with a sage warning about what he had done.

The Aasimar has hardly paid heed to those words, instead striking out into the world to gain more power and wealth, reveling in his abilities. For thirty years, he has done just that, offering his services for a hefty sum as well as challenging the most talented magic-users he has come across. Over this time, strange markings have begun to appear over the right side of his face, spreading downward to his neck. Though at first this concerned him, he now takes pride in them.

┏ O t h e r ┐
The scroll was made by a power-hungry and egotistic mage nearly a thousand years ago. In order to gain the power, she enlisted the help of a powerful demon, commanding it to give her the ability to use magic without tedious preparation or restraint.

A more clear explanation of this forbidden magic: The mage can absorb any spell cast within his ability(meaning they cannot absorb spells that are a higher level then their training), provided he is in the stream of mana. This often times calls for the mage to deliberately throw himself into harm's way. However, the reward is being able to then cast the spell without need of incantations, memorization or physical materials. If he fails in absorbing the spell, it doubles in power, no longer being under the control of the caster or one attempting to absorb it. The spells can still harm the mage if a successful absorption is completed, particularly those that have more subtle effects such as poisoning and weakening. The range of how much damage is done depends on the skill of the caster, power of the spell and condition of the mage absorbing it.

[/bg]

Last edited:
I already talked to Tarot about it all over messaging. They gave the go ahead on it all, though I will admit that I did not really go into his limitations and weaknesses on the profile. Do you think I should?

Kinda, because right now he sounds like a walking solar powered Death Star

Ok that's better. By the way @xYahTzeex (in case there is any confusion) a Sage can still cast spells without any materials.

Not sure why you'd think I'd be confused... Everything felt pretty straightforward to me.

@KageKaioh
@Crono
I think Kage's character does have the chance to be OP but I liked the diversity that the character had. I don't think that Nivedus will always go for new powers, correct me if I am wrong Kage, because of the fact that he could get really hurt. I also trust Kage to keep his character in bounds, so unless Kage wants to change it a little, I think it is fine.

@KageKaioh
@Crono
Also it is possible for there to be a drawback because of his power, like he gets hurt easier or something, and that is totally dependent on what Kage wants to do.

You would be correct. While Nivedus is power-hungry, he has learned from the past. He will not throw himself into a spell without thought, and he will not simply absorb any spell flung at him. I also greatly dislike over-powered and god-modded characters, so while he sounds very powerful and limitless, he is not, and I hardly plan on abusing any of it.

As for drawbacks to his power, there is that damage that is done to him when absorbing a spell, and the energy it takes to cast. Since the spells he has not longer use components, he has to get the power from somewhere. Unlike a sorcerer, which has a natural talent for working solely with the weave, Nivedus gets worn out due to using his own energy to manipulate it. I am also toying with the idea that he cannot absorb a spell more than once, attempting to do so resulting in some sort of damage or drawback.

I also wanted to say that I am grateful that you have enough trust in me to play a character like this, Tarot. If I ever do get close to a line that you are not comfortable with, let me know and I shall adjust appropriately.

Status
Not open for further replies.