Tales From Iwaku: WINTER EDITION ❄(Writing Challenge & Showcase)

PavellumPendulum

oh, to be seen as the poet, not just the muse
Original poster
DONATING MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. One post per week
  3. Slow As Molasses
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
  3. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Romance, modern, comedy, post-apocalyptic, slice of life.
1639407981751.png

Welcome one and all to the second TFI: Tales from Iwaku event!

I'm Pav, your host and fellow lover of the written arts. This event is meant to be an open challenge for the talented people here to both show off their work and read the works of others! Here's how it works: a few possible themes will need to be incorporated by the writers into a written piece of any format, be it a short story, a poem, song lyrics, a manuscript or even a diss track. Whatever they feel works best. Those submissions, at the end of the month, will be posted up for people to read and give feedback on. A public reading of the pieces (with the author's consent!) will also be done in the Iwaku Discord Server, to share more thoughts on each submission.

TFI will officially be open to submissions from January 1st to March 1st, closing at 11:59 PM CST. The date of the call on the server will be determined after submissions close, but will likely be in mid-end of March.

So, what are the possible themes to choose from this time? Look no further, because they are:
- found family
- stolen identity
- heroism

Only one theme needs to be incorporated into each submission, but you're free to use multiple if you want! It'll earn you extra Pav-Points, which have no financial value, but hey, at least I'll think you're super cool.

You might be thinking at this point, are there any prizes for joining? The answer is: YES! The winners will be able to choose from multiple different prizes, with first having first dibs (receiving two whole prizes!), second picking next, then third receiving whatever is left.

I really look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with and see you soon!
Feel free to ask any questions, discuss ideas or profess your undying love to me down below.

• All submissions must be under 2000 words. Any submission longer than this will be automatically disqualified. Please note that if your entry is longer than 1000 words, it might not get read out over call due to how long it would take (it'll depend on how many submissions come in!)
  • All submissions must follow Iwaku rules.
  • The submission should, of course, be your own work and not anyone else's. Fanfiction is allowed, provided that you state what fandom the work is based on. However, just know that people who do not know this fandom might not understand your piece fully when voting!
  • The submission should include at least one of the selected themes for the month.
  • The submission cannot contain explicit content. Mentions of such things may occur, but you cannot submit full smut. If there is anything potentially triggering content in your piece, please leave a trigger tag at the beginning as well.
To submit a piece, please PM me and title the PM "TFI ENTRY" with this little form filled out to go with it!

Title of the piece:
Word Count:
Chosen theme(s):
Chosen format: (Short story, poetry, rap, joke master list... You get the idea.)

Remain Anonymous?: Yes or No
Permission to read aloud during call?: Yes or No
The voting will take place on the official thread, in a poll that will be open for two weeks. These prizes can be transferred to someone else if you so choose as well, but you must tell any staff member that contacts you about winning before the prize is given. First place will receive their choice of two prizes, second place will get to choose one from what remains and third will receive whatever is left!

Prize pool (in no order, since prizes will be chosen by winners!):
- a half body digital sketch commission from yours truly, me! <3
- a copy of either the game Celeste or Baba Is You on PC or MAC (Also from me LOL)
- a 20$ VISA gift card (From the lovely @Kuno!)
- a watercolour/acrylic art commission (From the ever so talented @neptune!)

Details on art from me:
- I'm not great with muscled men but I'll try my best for you if you want.
- I do not draw furries or mechs. The drawing can include a very very simple background at your request.
- Please provide visual references for me, not just a written description. Even searching up pictures online to help me is preferable!
- It can take me up to 2-3 weeks in order to finish a piece because of wrist issues, so please do not get upset if it takes me a while to get it done. It will get done eventually.

1639408005941.png
1639408013627.png

Details on game copies:
- Whoever chooses this will be required to provide me with their email so I can send them the download for the chosen game. Please do not choose this if you are uncomfortable with sharing this information with me!

Details on the gift card:
- This gift card will be provided by the fantastic, deep-pocketed @Kuno, who has generously donated it as a prize! Shower them with love <3

Details on the watercolour/acrylic art:
- Traditional art on watercolor paper (Strathmore, Stonehenge Aqua), or acrylic on canvas.
- Pieces will be sprayed with UV-Resistant clear coat to prevent fading.
- From start to finish, the whole process can take a 1-4 weeks excluding mail time. I do a smaller test piece and check in with you before starting on the final one. I'll send you the tester too if you want it. No distance restrictions on shipping.
- Please provide visual references along with descriptions! The more information you give me, the easier the whole process will be! Don't be afraid to PM me or hit me up on Discord to chat about progress.
- No furries or NSFW requests. I'm not great at animals in general but I can try if that's what you really want.

1639408024950.png
1639407948348.png

I won't be participating - for obvious reasons - but I strongly encourage everyone to give it a try! Even if you don't win, this is still a great writing exercise that Pav's provided. I look forward to reading all the great entries :^)

- This gift card will be provided by the fantastic, deep-pocketed @Kuno, who has generously donated it as a prize! Shower them with love <3

No need to shower me in love. Just call me Mommy Warbucks.

Last edited:
Tales From Iwaku is now officially open for submissions! Can't wait to see what you guys come up with :)

• Love
Reactions: Ardent and Diana
One more month to get your submissions in! :D

:) I'll enter! I threw mine into the draw

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: PavellumPendulum
When I get home to my laptop, I’d love to enter, as well. :) I already have ideas trampling through my mind.

• Bucket of Rainbows
The more the merrier!

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: iridescent
The more the merrier!
Sorry if I misread but currently on mobile. Where do we post the submissions?

It's here under the section 'Submitting a Piece'! Here's the bit copy pasted.

----
To submit a piece, please PM me and title the PM "TFI ENTRY" with this little form filled out to go with it!

Title of the piece:
Word Count:
Chosen theme(s):
Chosen format: (Short story, poetry, rap, joke master list... You get the idea.)

----

Also, don't forget to read the submission requirements and the like in the first post!

• Love
The more the merrier!
Sorry if I misread but currently on mobile. Where do we post the submissions?

It's here under the section 'Submitting a Piece'! Here's the bit copy pasted.

----

Title of the piece:
Word Count:
Chosen theme(s):

----

Also, don't forget to read the submission requirements and the like in the first post!
You are a gem! 💎 Thank you and I will reread everything once I am back on my laptop. 😊

Turned in my piecedays ago but good luck to everyone who tossed their hate into the ring! 😊

• Haha
Reminder that the submission period is ending in 9 days!

Two more days! Submissions wya

• Love
I’m so nervous! ^^

I miscounted because I am incapable of doing math apparently LMAO

Deadline is March 1st at 11:59 PM CST! Swoop into my inbox real soon if you wanna get your submissions in!

• Haha
Because of the weird Iwaku being down situation today, I'm giving people extra time to submit, in case that stopped them from doing so earlier! You now have one extra day. March 2nd at 11:59 PM CST is the new deadline <3

Reactions: TerraBooma and Kuno
Submissions are now closed. I will be posting the thread for voting and choose the date and time for the readings call soon! :D

• Love