Taking a Leap of Faith

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Muna

Original poster
Hello, Iwaku!

Recently, I've found myself considering several opportunities that presented themselves out of nowhere that all add up to quite a leap of faith. I am in a pretty intense college program, as well as dealing with some significant life struggles, but I found myself in an opportune moment to take up a pretty decent job offer. Before, it seemed like the most impossible thing in the world to do, but here I am, planning to make it work.

I'm a curious human being. What do you do when an opportunity arises that seems too good to ignore? Do you avoid it because of your typical stresses of life, or do you take a leap of faith?

Way I look at it, education is to help you get the job you want, and if this is a job you wanted that you studied for, then take the chance. If it doesn't pan out, you can always pick your studies up again and this time with some decent money at your back.

Good luck! :D

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
It totally depends. I weigh the pros and cons, and I try to look at it from an objective standpoint. Most of life's stressors are temporary. Things change, they get better and they get worse. I try to take that into consideration when making a long term decision. But generally speaking, if an awesomely amazing opportunity arises, I'll take the leap and accept it. Never know when another one is going to come along.

• Love
Way I look at it, education is to help you get the job you want, and if this is a job you wanted that you studied for, then take the chance. If it doesn't pan out, you can always pick your studies up again and this time with some decent money at your back.

Good luck! :D
I have the thought in mind of continuing my studies, while the job I took doesn't necessarily fit under my aimed profession. The job, while it'll be additional stress (as a caregiver for the elderly and disabled), will bring in money but will also help me with other life... stuff. I'm thinking the additional stress will be worth it in the end.

depends wildly on the opportunity and the risks involved.

In general I'm a planner; I try to see as far ahead and prepare as much as I can. if I gamble, its because I've taken enough precautions that I'm relatively sure that I can win, and if I don't, that the repercussions wont' be that bad.

I have the thought in mind of continuing my studies, while the job I took doesn't necessarily fit under my aimed profession. The job, while it'll be additional stress (as a caregiver for the elderly and disabled), will bring in money but will also help me with other life... stuff. I'm thinking the additional stress will be worth it in the end.
If it helps, one of the best pieces of advice I've ever received was that you rarely end up where you intend for work, and by taking on new jobs, you may discover something you never knew you loved.

Life isn't, and shouldn't be, a straight line and it's impossible to plan it all out. Sometimes, you take opportunities you never realized you ever would have done and it may end up being something that enthralls you more than what you were originally after. If the positives are impossible to ignore and the opportunity is there, it's a fantastic idea to say yes, because even if you stay, there's no guarantee something better will come up. You can always look for jobs, even when you're employed, and you can always return to school if things aren't working out.

I myself never thought I would be working my field, and I had an opportunity for an incredible work opportunity that was far more rewarding and well paying than I ever expected I would get. I had to leave my life behind and move across the country, but I don't regret it. I made a trip back home after 3 years in the summer and realized things changed for all my friends and they'd moved on, too, or started having families. The things I left behind that I missed weren't really there anymore. It gave me a really helpful peace of mind. I miss everyone and my family, of course, but I wouldn't have had the same success as I experienced moving if I didn't take the chance and move.

Last edited:
Well as I am trying to be completely objective to answer your question, it is hard because I know your unique situation.

Personally, I almost always take a good opportunity even if it veers me down a completely different path th an I'm headed. I want my life full of adventure, excitement, and void of regrets. As you know, the only opportunity thus far I haven't accepted has been the job I turned down this year to be with my boyfriend. The decision tore me apart and almost broke me, but in the end I did what I thought was best for me and nobody else. I don't want my boyfriend to be a regret had I taken the job.

I know this job will be good for you in so many ways. Not only financially, but also for your independence, self esteem, and for your little girl. I support you 100% in whatever you do. I do think you need something just for you.

Look at me. I've run off into a tangent. ANYWAY, to answer your question... I say go for the opportunity with No Regrets.

<^3

• Love
Hello, Iwaku!

Recently, I've found myself considering several opportunities that presented themselves out of nowhere that all add up to quite a leap of faith. I am in a pretty intense college program, as well as dealing with some significant life struggles, but I found myself in an opportune moment to take up a pretty decent job offer. Before, it seemed like the most impossible thing in the world to do, but here I am, planning to make it work.

I'm a curious human being. What do you do when an opportunity arises that seems too good to ignore? Do you avoid it because of your typical stresses of life, or do you take a leap of faith?

research it

weigh risks benefits

profit

I wish I could say "I logically calculate the risks and potential, and take it if it seems success is to be expected, and the penalties are survivable otherwise".

But in practice that's not really what I've found myself doing.
I'm pushing for my education to be finished, and when hurtles come to me I do adapt.
But it usually just ends up extending the time it takes before graduation.

Thereby it only leads to me having more time to stay at home, socialize and focus on getting driving experience.
Which has also meant I haven't been on the lookout for any jobs or work cause it would be temporary, even if the experience might be worthwhile.
I'll admit it's laziness on my part.

In the back of my head I do justify it as "I lost so much of my childhood to socialize in Autism Therapy, that this now extra free time in college is a way to get a return investment".
Which in a 'sense' is true, I'd rather had adequate social experience before entering the work world fully so I don't look back on a 'meh' childhood. But it's still a weak justification at that.

I should also note though that I value emotional and mental health/satisfaction over prestige and monetary rewards.

Though personal flaws and bias aside?

My strictly rational/logical answer would be "Take the chances that serve the best chance to benefit you, but don't take a risk where if it fails it could put you in great financial danger".
And define benefit as to you specifically, if you value money and status more then value that higher. If you value emotional happiness better value that higher.
But do at least make sure this 'chance' doesn't lead to burnout, cause that will only make you plummet in both your work like and social life.

Reactions: Muna
Status
Not open for further replies.