Syrasza

Lynden covered his mouth when the dust was kicked up, but otherwise, he rose in silence, trapt in his head, pondering the possibilities of the maze he found himself in.

Even though he told his brother he was going to focus on the trails, he was doing a poor job. He forgot they could get ambushed until he saw his brothers-in-arms waiting for him. He smiled softly, but his mood was too foul to hold it.

Albert talked, and Lynden listened, but he felt hungover, physically and mentally, and Albert's words just made him irritated. He said they needed Lynden's sword skills, but Lynden hadn't packed any training weapons, once again, forgetting of the ambush in the wake of his brother's ceremony.

"Yeah, whatever man."
He replied to Albert rudely, then turned to another boy and gestured towards his gear. "Hey Steven, you have several weapons, lemme borrow either the dull blade or the quarterstaff."

Dull blades weren't just swords that were dull, but rather swords that didn't have an edge at all. And despite Albert requesting explicitly his swordplay, Lynden knew that if it was survival, the sword's sheath wouldn't last very long for long combat. (Lynden's one handed sword-style ditched a shield in favor of using the scabbard for both defense and offense, which was very unorthodox, and hard to predict.) Yes, he was confident he could ward off anyone with a quarter staff just as well, and he knew Steven could part with them.

The brute snarled as he looked down at the kegs. The muscles in hsi legs tensed up and he made a mad dash for the next room, holding his runed hand in front of him. "Ye bloody bastard! I'll kill ye like I did yer mates! Fight me like the scum you are," He said in a ferocious voice. Anzo would have the man's back now, hopefully allowing an easy blow. Anzo had yet another choice, and acting quickly was of dire importance.

The rude remark didn't sway the commanding Albert. He simply smiled at his friend and kept on with his plan. Everyone followed his lead except Steven who had been hailed by Lynden. "Hey Steven, you have several weapons, lemme borrow either the dull blade or the quarterstaff."

Sure Lynden was being a little rude at the moment and sure he wasn't normally like this, but as much as Steven wanted to ask, he knew now wasn't the time for such questions. He simply nodded and grabbed his dull blade and handed it to Lynden in the sheath. He knew Lynden's fighting style well, probably better than anyone of the other squires, since he was Lynden's sparring partner most of the time. Steven had only beaten Lynden once before, and that was only because Steven could use magic. Since that fight, Lynden has learned to defend against the arcane arts well by sparring with Steven.

The morning grew brighter as the party neared the Barracks. Where were the trainers hiding this time? What weapons would they use? The air around the squires grew thick and heavy with angst. The trainers were probably only using training weapons, but they could still hurt you like hell. None of the squires wanted to be injured on their first day of Trials, it would just make everything else that much more difficult...

"Keep your wits about you, men. They could come from anywhere." Almost immediately after Albert gave his warning, Richard's horse toppled to the ground! It's legs had been bound by a trap then Richard was shot with a training arrow. Red paint from the cotton padded tip covered his neck. This meant that he was dead and could not participate in the ambush any longer.

"Richard! Damn it! MOVE! To higher ground!"
Albert pointed towards the barracks, it was on a hill, no doubt where the arrow came from. Those who followed Albert were met by five dull spear wielding trainers, all decked out in camouflage dyes and paints, much like Brier Elves wore in the forest. If anyone stayed back, they would be facing three sword wielding trainers springing up from hiding spots along the sides of the road. They would also be under the ranged fire of two archers. The formation was a pincer.

"Ye bloody bastard! I'll kill ye like I killed yer mates! Fight me like the scum you are!" He was angry, Good. The angry ones make mistakes, which is why Anzo was trying not to think about this mans claims of killing his friends. The massive man charged for the door with his tattoo'd arm outstretched. Anzo didn't notice it glowing which seemed like a good sign. He knew what to do. As the man passed Anzo would drop his invisibility, counting on the giant mans rage to keep him on task.With magically muffled feet Anzo would get a running leap, putting 1 foot in his kidney. Giving him the boost to grab the back of the unwashed man's neck with his left hand and release the electrical energy built up there. The hard part would be controlling the release of energy so that he shocked him unconscious and didn't kill him. It was a risk he was willing to take. The important thing was that with that much energy shocking him, he wouldn't be able to control his body let alone a spell. This better work Anzo thought to himself. I don''t know how much longer i can keep this up.

Irievyre's day thus far had been slow and dull. The weather was too bad for her to pick herbs in the forest and not a single patient had been in today. Days like these were rare and meant that everyone was healthy and fine, but it meant a slow day for the halfling doctor. Days like today compounded Irievyre's feelings about picking up and moving on to another city. She couldn't experiment with new potions since she had no fresh herbs to work with and she couldn't learn anything from her colleagues anymore. Today was turning out to be such a bore.

One of Irievyre's colleagues, and friend, Doctor Sylvia Fernheart, approached Irievyre with her typical smile. Sylvia was always happy, no matter the situation, an unyielding optimist is what most call her. She was a tall Brier Elf woman with fair green skin and brown hair lined with green streaks, resembling bark with moss growing upon it. Her eyes were a deep purple, like the nightingbloom flower and her smile was brighter than a Sun Balloon.

While everyone else in the tree house clinic sat idle by reading, toying with their supplies, or fighting a midday nap, Sylvia was energetic and desired something to do. One of her favorite things was learning about the experiments Irievyre had been conducting recently, so the topic of conversation was predictable.

"Hey Irie! I see you are bored too...today's not a fun day...but I think we would both enjoy a little conversation...so...how about you tell me a little about what you've been working on recently!?"
Sylvia plopped down in a chair next to the halfling doctor hopeful that she wouldn't mind going over her research. Sylvia was really the only one who appreciated Irievyre's experimenting and liked listening to her talk about it.

This was something Vaughn had not expected to hear. His father actually made something for him, instead of having him make it himself. This was not only a great surprise but was something Vaughn hadn't had in quite some time. The last time he had anything that was remotely like this was on his mother's last birthday, in which she gave him a bite, it was a glorious bite, but still just a bite. All the other times if he's ever been hungry his father has made him prepare his own food as a sort of training exercise, and some nights turned out better than others. This was such a drastic contrast though, but that was the least of Vaughn's worries right now. The main thing he had on his mind was devouring this beautiful and expectantly delicious food that lay before him.

Almost as if being hypnotized he sat down slowly and picked up the knife and fork that were close to the dish without saying a word, and wearing nothing but a look of awe on his face. The smells were bombarding his nose much like a castle siege would. He wold pick out each induvidual scent and where it was coming from. He didn't know where to start at all. He stared at the plate, simply lost for a moment.

"I 'ope ya like it, son."

His father's words cute the silence, but in an odd way. The more commonly study voice that his father spoke in did seem a little off. Almost nervous for Vaughn to try the dish. It was probably cause Vaughn was so critical of food, its flavors, its presentation, its aroma, if it didn't meet a particular criteria Vaughn would certainly let everyone know it wasn't 'up to snuff.' Vaughn could sense that feeling having been broken from concentration for a moment. He looked over to his father for a moment and let him have a large smile before he turned back to the dish where he would begin.

Vaughn always liked to try each individual part first before attempting the dish as a whole. He started with the bread, which he expected to be great. He broke off a small piece and the steam poured out from the bread that was freshly made. He popped the little piece into his mouth and it almost melted. His father always had a particular way of making his specialty. It was sweet, warm, buttery, completely amazing in every way. There was not a single gripe with his father's bread, which there never way to begin with. Next he went for the greens, the Yunall Greens that were steamed and blanched. They're were such a powerful color you would think it was glowing if you where not careful. As he put them in his mouth and began to bite down, nothing else could be heard but a slight crunch. They were prefect! Vaughn hadn't noticed at first but these greens were also not boiled in water, but some sort of stock and they had an amazing meat flavor to them. In addition they had been handled marvelously, which is where the small crunch, but no mush came from. Lastly, he went for the meat from the Human country. The meat from this animal was something he was unfamiliar with, but it did smell good. He was able to discern that his father boiled them to an extent, then removed them and put them in the over for the moisture and stock aspects of the meat. There was something he had to check before he started with the meat. With his fork he went to check the meat ability to stay to the bone. He poked it ever so slightly in hopes that it wouldn't fall right off. Of course it didn't, this did just kept getting better. He put a little more force and is peeled off instantly. This was perfect! His father really knew how to cook since that was a very delicate cooking method, and messing it up was very common. He proceeded to get a piece and bring it up to eye level to examine. He noticed the fibers of the meat and which way the grain went, for his future cuts. He couldn't wait any longer, thrusting the piece that was cut to his taste buds. It hit them in a whirlwind of flavor. Vaughn closed his eyes for just a moment to let his brain only focus on just the flavor. It was inpecable, easily a ten out of ten on his scale. It was likely yhr greatest thing he had ever tasted in his entire life. Brilliant use of the crystal as a coating for the outside of the meat to lock in its juices and flavor, the perfect slow cooking method that made the meat so tender on the inside of the crust, and the perfect amount of seasoning. Not to mention this meat was stellar when it came to its grain as it broke apart into luscious shards of meat. He savored that bite to its fullest. When he was done tasting he grabbed the goblet to taste how the drink was. After his sip he could tell how much different it was with the mint. It was smoother, lighter almost, but still the good ol' grog he was used to. With an appropriate breath he set it down and went back to his meal savoring the meal as a whole as opposed to its individual parts.

After he finished up his meal and beverage he sat back in his chain more satisfied in a meal than he had ever been in all of his years of living. Once he was finished he was addressed by his father.

"Listen, I know how ya feel 'bout leavin' the village an findin' ya own way. Your mum an I 'ave talked 'bout it lots. I can't say I wan't ya ta leave, but I 'ave to agree with ya mother. She thinks it a grand idea for ya to see th' world, experience new things, an' meet new people. An honestly, after 'avin these exotic ingredients, I can't blame ya!"

Vaughn say that this really tugged on his dad's heart strings in a certain way, to see his only son leave off to the world in exploration of new things. There was a certain level of happiness and sadness in his words. He smiled at the fact that his father cared enough to feel the way he did in front of him, he respected him and there was nothing that could fill the void of his father. This man taught Vaughn every thing he knows about almost everything, save for the vast elven knowledge his mother attributed. He let his father continue speaking as well.

"Ya should go. I think ya want to, and I think ya will like the experience....but ya 'ave to promise me...ya gotta bring some rare ingredients back 'ome sometime!"

Vaughn laughed with his father, but recoiled with a confident statement still while smiling,

"Don't worry, I'll find all of the ingredients of the world, and bring them home."

His father always appreciated Vaughn's broad goals, making sure he was keeping a very optimistic view on life.

"And ya best go say goodbye to ya mum. I'm not sayin' ya 'ave to leave today, but i think ya should so ya can travel with that Gilhom boy. He's leavin' to go back out into th' over world in just a few 'ours time."

In most cases it would seem very odd to leave so suddenly but this was a great opportunity, to leave. Vaughn was expecting to venture in the next couple of weeks anyway, and its a much better decsion to travel with someone from home than alone. Not to mention Vaughn had zero combat training and would have a hard time defending himself; he would have to rely on Gilhom for that. Fortunately Gilhom was somone that Vaughn knew but they had never been too close because of having to work all the time. From the few times they did meet up though he seemed like a nice guy, traveling with him would be a piece of cake.

"I like the sound of that."

Vaughn replied to his father's statement, without letting on that the real reason would be to that he could be protected. He didn't want to die on his way out of the village, that would just be a waste.

"And remember, I love ya"

"I love you too Dad."

As his father began to clean up, he could hear his mother's beautiful singing voice being muffled by a close mouth. Even her humming sounded nice, he followed the sound to that he could let her know he would be on his way momentarily.

Anzo's attack worked perfectly. Every movement was fluid and precise. The big brute of a man didn't even know what hit him. A hard kick landed right in the man's hardened side, barely harming him, but the next motion worked extremely well. Anzo grabbed the thick muscular neck and began the channeling. The feeling of pure electricity manifesting and running through Anzo's body would provide a rush so intense that controlling the release of this massive amount of energy would be nearly impossible without the training Anzo endured. The man's body received the shock in one quick instant, leaving a burn mark where Anzo's hand latched on. A limp body fell to the ground, alive, but unconscious. Anzo had successfully subdued his adversary.

The ship was quiet once again, all but the usual ambient sounds of the rocking vessel. Anzo had three unconscious men in his ship now and not many leads but the mysterious sink and the powder kegs that came from seemingly nowhere...

To separate would mean "death". And Lynden wasn't in the mood to lose just yet. He followed on Albert's left flank, his dull blade drawn from its scabbard. Lynden held the blade in the air, ready to bat an airborne spear from the air if one of the trainers were to throw them. Lynden held the scabbard near its mouth, most of it aimed towards the ground. On a horse, his scabbard was useless, and his sword didn't have much reach.

The biggest threat were the archers, which he couldn't exactly place how many from his vantage point. He kept close to Albert, so he avoided the sword users, but spears were worse for their horses. Still, if they held a close flank then they could avoid casualties. It would be up to the other squires.

He feared for those that stayed back to avoid the spear users, as they would likely be picked off by the sword users and arrows.

It was all a matter of luck. Lynden just had to get past the spear users. He would try clashing or batting away stabs towards him or his horse, but there was little he could do to avoid a trap.

Vaughn exited his father's kitchen and stepped into his mothers garden...two very distinct places that defined each of his parents. They were happiest in these places, and where better to be when you son is leaving than in your happy place.

"My dear Vaughn...Prepared to leave the village and see the world. I'm so proud of you." The elf looked up from her gardening. She walked over to Vaughn and hugged him lightly. "This is an exciting time, Grayvaughn. It's almost like yesterday that I remember leaving my home to explore the world. There are so many experiences ahead of you..." The joyful mother took a step back from her son.

"You will laugh, cry, love, gain, lose and learn. But most of all, you will live! The world is meant for living, no more than that. As long as you remember to live, your journey will be grandiose and rewarding no matter what happens."
She smiled happily at her son. To her this was one of the most rewarding experiences life had to offer and the fact that her son had the opportunity to experience it caused this traveling elf to be overcome with joy.

"Your father didn't want this for you, as I'm sure you're fully aware, but he knows what a wonderful life lies out there. He just doesn't want to lose you, and that's understandable. I've seen many cultures in my life and I have to say that this culture is one of the more stationary." She chuckled, thinking of how ironic it was the a traveling elf like her had ended up in such a stationary culture.

With a quick sigh, she composed herself again and continued her talk.
"You just have to live. Nothing is impossible out there in the world and I have the utmost faith in you, my son." She kissed Vaughn on the cheek and huged him one last time before saying, "Now go on. The longer you stay, the harder it will be...and besides, Gilhom is waiting for you at his father's smithy."

And with that, Grayvaughn Quartzheart was free to set off on his journey. What would the future hold for this young lad? How grand will his culinary concoctions turn out? These are questions that only Grayvaughn could answer, questions he will answer.

Lynden rode in with all but two squires who were left behind. One lay dead sniped by an archer and the other's horse had spooked, throwing him off as he tried to catch up, leaving him as fodder for the swordsmen. All of the Squires had their training gear ready. Cecil had his sword and shield poised for attack. Albert's lance was best used while on a horse, and he had it at the ready, aiming to disperse the line of spear users. Steven spun his quarterstaff around him like a wild man. And Lynden had his sword and scabbard style ready for battle. These four were by far the most skilled Squires in the whole unit.

Albert led the charge, as were his intentions. He held his lance stretched straight out as far as it could go, almost too far for a spear to reach his horse. The trainers readied their weapons for the oncoming attack. In a marvelous display of lancemanship, Albert managed to disperse the line of spearmen and cause one to fall down, all the while his shield keeping him and his horse safe. He turned around quickly and readied another charge, keeping a close eye on his peripheral area in case he spotted an archer.

The fallen Trainer was free game now, and Steven took the opportunity to cast a simple force spell onto the trainer's chest, "killing" him for this fight. In the process of "killing" the fallen trainer, Steven's horse was taken out by an archer, causing the horse to rear wildly, throwing Steven to the ground just before he reached the spearmen. From the ground, Cecil's horse went racing past him, distracting three of the four remaining trainers.

Cecil had jumped off of his horse, sending it stampeding towards the broken line of spearmen as he lunged towards the lone spearman stalking Steven. Cecil's sword was met with a kite shield, and the spear slid right over Cecil's shoulder. This was a golden opportunity. Cecil dropped his shield and grabbed the shaft of the dull spear, pulling with all his strength, forcing the trainer to release the weapon. Now it was a sword fight between warriors, and Cecil felt confident.

Three spearmen were recovering from the raging horse that nearly trampled them as Lynden made his approach. They all focused on Lynden, knowing full well what he was capable of, and readied their spears. As they sized Lynden up, an arrow swished right past Lynden's face, spurring Albert into motion, but "killing" one of the other horse riding squires.

The swordsmen were closing in on the group so the last two remaining squires stayed their ground to at least slow the advancing trainers down. This was do or die, and they had to do what they could to preserve the mission. If they successfully eliminated all the trainers, they would go down as one of the only three units to do so in Lumina's history.

Lynden knew in an instant that to keep charging forward was to get speared in the side as he attempted to get past them. No, he could fight much better off the horse. He leaned back quickly to throw his leg over, but an arrow whizzed past him and "struck" a squire near him. He got lucky in that moment, but he didn't let it distract him. He threw himself over and smacked the horse's ass with the scabbard, causing the horse to go rushing into the spear trainers like Cecil had done. This was a technique they all had learned after all.

On the ground, Lynden ran past Cecil, who was locked in combat with a trainer. As he did, he hooked his sheath onto the trainer, pulled hard, causing his balance to be thrown off, then stabbed him in the side, just under his ribs. It was an instant kill. This was all one fluid motion as he ran past him, pausing only to stab.

He hoped Cecil wouldn't mind him interrupting his battle, but they were fighting in a battle for keeps, and they needed to act as a team to defeat these more experienced fighters. There would be no way Lynden could have "killed" the trainer as smoothly as he did if he wasn't distracted by Cecil. He hoped Cecil would see that and accept it.

He got to Steven and helped him up before any others could disrupt them. He was crouching low to avoid the missiles in the chaos of battle. With Steven and Cecil on the ground with him, they could hold off attacks from their flanks. With Albert still about, things were even. But they needed more than even, they needed to win. And the main threat now was...

"Magic the archers, or stop their arrows! Cecil and I will stonewall!"
Lynden yelled over the battle to Steven. They were at risk of the spears, but the archers were the real threat for the entire battle. To eliminate them was to turn the tide into their favor.

He always could find his Mother tending to the garden in her free time, it was definitely her past time. She was the reason their vegetables were a notch above the rest, and Vaughn appreciated all the work she did put in. She began to approach her, but it was that Mother's intuition that let her know he was there, and she already knew what was going on. He prepared himself for the quickfire of his Mother's statements, more than uncommon in his household. If she was letting you talk, she either run out of things to talk about or she needed you to respond. Vaughn smiled as she spoke to him before he even fully walked over, and before she even stood up.

Typical mom

Vaughn thought to himself as she stood up, dwarfing him almost seven or eight inches. After that she began to fire off everything she needed to say to him, and he knew better than to interrupt. He nodded to her statements as she spoke and smiled the whole time, letting out chuckles because of her demeanor. He listened to everything she said unimpeded by anything. It was his mom, he wasn't about to cut in on potentially the last time she would see him in a very long time.

After saying a few things she let out a sigh, meaning she was getting her breathe and getting towards the end of what she had to say to him. She finished quickly, trying to make the depart as painless on everyone as possible. But Vaughn had to do one more thing before he had to go. He got close to his Mother and gave her a hug, he knew it would be a while before he would get one of these again.

"I love you Mom."

That would be the last thing he would do to depart his Mother. After he quickly ran into the house to pack all of his things. Vaughn quickly ran to his room only to find that all of his belongings had already been packed for him. He checked the bag to make sure all the things he needed would be in there. They certainly were, his Mom spared no detail when it came to packing his bag up. She even made her special remedy paste that could be used to cure all kinds of illnesses and heal wounds. While riffling through the bag, he noticed he was missing one thing, but he knew that would be something he would need to get himself. Vaughn dawned his bag, and walked to the kitchen, and walked to where he prepared most of his dishes. This would probably be the saddest moment for him. He would no longer be preparing anything at this station, but on a more grand scale. He looked at his station and smiled.

"I'll definitely be back to make all sorts of great things here."

The very last thing that he needed to pack was his knives that he was going to be taking with him. He reached for the main knife that he had worked with so much, he grabbed the handle of the knife and drew it slowly from the rack. Its familiar grip was something he loved, once it was drawn he stared at its half Elven half Dwarven carvings on it. With a smile he put it in a cloth container that would hold all of his knives; Chef's, Bread, Boning, and Paring. Vaughn store them into his bag carefully. Then proceeded to leave the home. Once outside he looked at the home he grew up in with a bittersweet taste in his mouth. After a few moments of basking in the nostalgia he proceeded to the meet with Gilhom at the Smithy.

Anzo shook he's head trying to clear his thoughts and catch his breath. He had killed one and captured three. Not bad, but the capt would want to know why he got blood on his deck. "If they are still alive" He reminded himself. Anzo slowly pulled himself up off the brute he had been sitting on. "Your not gonna be much use for a while, but just in case" Anzo struggled to rolled the filthy human over. and then placed his gauntlet over his face as he had done with the other sleepers. He didn't like that tattoo. Pirates with tattoos that glow are never good. With the precision of a surgeon he went about making sure it wouldn't work again. Cutting and cauterizing it in key places.

Eiso would be worried sick. She would know that he was alive of course but she would still worry and Anzo hated worrying her. "Always more to do though right" he said flashing a grin at his new prisoner. Anzo cast a minor spell attuned to Eiso That let him talk to her. the longer the distance the more demanding it became, but it wasn't bad since she was on the deck above him."ANZO is every thing alright?!" Eiso barked as soon as the connection was open. "Of course i'm fine." cutting her off before she could respond he said" I have pirates to integrate but i need you to go find help. Something big is going on, there is no way these four guys could have taken the ship without a struggle. Whatever is happening we are gonna need back up." He could feel her anxiety even without her saying anything. "But.." "Just go please, you know i can handle myself, but we can't do this alone" she took off without further complaint but Anzo knew he had hurt her feelings.

His temples where starting to ache but he still needed to find out what the big man had been doing. Most of all though the unanswered question where is every one and why is all their shit gone?"guess I'll start trying up my two sleepers for questioning" this was one of the other tasks that Anzo had been given as part of his arrangement with Wroth. "There your Prisoners, you talk to them!" he had said. "I hope the're feeling chatty". As good as he was at it Anzo had never enjoyed this part.

After tying up the half-ling and the human Anzo sat them up against the wall. He knew he wouldn't be able to wake up the Brut with the tattoo but he dragged him in too. The effect was nice,though it took more effort than he would like to admit. After finally getting them where he wanted he lifted the spell on the half-ling. They tended to be a bit more on the pragmatic side.

Anzo shifted the blade he held to the halflings knee so that he would notice it. People are strange about their knees. You don't realize how much you need them till some one threatens to dig around in them. Or even more effective a drop of a weak acid that will slowly eat it's way through. Cauterizing on the way through as not to let the prisoner bleed out. The most important thing about interrogating isn't the pain. It's getting the prisoner to use their imagination. The imagination is the worst enemy of any prisoner.

"I am going to ask you a question.You will answer my question or i will hurt you, and i will not stop hurting you. I will wake your friend and let him watch as i ply my trade on your body. No matter what you try to tell me then it will be too late. I will take your knees with a slow acid, then i will shove splinters under your fingernails one at a time....your feet i will warm by a fire that is just a little too hot until you have nothing left but Charred stumps. All this while your find watches, and i promise you i will not have to ask him twice." Anzo looked him dead in the eye with a look colder than the ice flows." Where is my crew and what happened here."

Lynden's attack on the preoccupied trainer was flawless. Cecil wasn't one to be jealous, especially in situations where teamwork was involved. He nodded and smiled at the quick to act squire. After moving to face the three spearmen once again recovering from a horse charge, Lynden took charge and sent orders out.

Steven nodded and focused his energy into his staff. A purple bubble formed around the three squires. This was an elementary spell used to halt projectiles. People could still walk through but as long as anyone stayed in the translucent bubble, projectiles would not harm them.
"This won't last long, friends. Use it wisely!" Steven smiled as he dashed out of the bubble's protection towards the brush. Using prestidigitation, he created a cloud of smoke used to represent a burning area where he supposed the archer might be hiding. This should force the archer out into the open.

Thunk! An arrow came out of the smoke and hit Steven in the left arm. The mage squire snarled as he was not dead yet. He started blindly blasting light force blasts into the smokey area hoping to hit the archer. In no time flat, a cloaked archer appeared out of his invisibility spell and slit the mage's throat from behind with a dull dagger. An instant kill against the mage that caused the purple bubble to lose it's sustainability.

Cecil witnessed this and almost lost it.
"Arrrgh! Steven's down and the archer is behind us. Leave him to me!" Cecil broke rank and left Lynden to fend against three spearmen while he fought one of the archers. He had to keep the archer peroccupied since the protection spell had dwindled due to Steven's death.

The three spearmen made an advance towards The lone Lynden now. Grins spread across their faces as they knew almost certain victory against the single squire. One spearman held his shield up and charged directly at Lynden while the other two followed suit. Before Lynden could take any action, however, one of the other two spearmen fell to the ground, red paint splattered all over his leg.

"I found an archer!"
Albert said with a chuckle. From his horse he could see down the hill that the other two squires had fallen and the swordsmen were advancing quickly. "I'll keep them at bay if you can hold your own here!" The lancer said as he launched a couple arrows at the advancing swordsmen. It seemed that one of them had been severely injured, not holding a shield and limping along, an easy target.

Steven was being defensive with his magic, which was fine, but it forced him and Cecil to stay within the confines of the bubble, which was forcing them to make the spear users come to them. Still though, protection was better than none, and that was made evident as an arrow failed to enter the bubble.

Steven broke rank to chase the archer, Lynden yelled after him, but his words didn't reach him. He grit his teeth, dug his heel into the dirt, and got in a battle stance, waiting for the spears.

"Arrrgh! Steven's down and the archer is behind us. Leave him to me!"

Ugh. Damn idiot. Now we're at the disadvantage.
Lynden thought, referring to Steven's breaking formation.

The barrier was gone, which meant Lynden had to move. All he was focused on was the spear users. He was trusting Cecil to not have an arrow hit the back of his head.

Three is too many. Two I can barely handle, but three... Three is too many. I'll have to retreat and make-

Lynden's thought was cut off with Albert's intervention. Good. This created a perfect opening.

The problem with the shielded spear users is that they can only thrust and shield bash. Otherwise, they are meant for attacking from a distance in mid range combat. Get in close, and all they can do is try to defend. But Lynden didn't have all the advantage. The trainers would know Lynden's fast and unorthodox attacks, as one can only be unpredictable so much until they become predictable.

It would all just come down to timing.

Lynden rushed forward, sword in one hand, sheath in the other. He screamed at the top of his lungs so everyone on the battlefield would hear him.

He would get right in front of the front spears thrust zone, baiting him to attack. He would dodge it. He had to dodge it. He spun his entire body to shift his momentum on a dime. He seemed to go under and around the trainer's spear, and with fluid movement like water, he would wrap his arm around the spear shaft and stab the man under his spear arm armpit. It was an area the man couldn't defend with his shield, and it was a killing blow.

He didn't ever stop moving for a second. As soon as his blade made contact, he withdrew it and dashed past him, as if he wasn't even an obstacle.

One left before him. He simply threw his sheath at his face.

He was accurate enough and put enough strength into it that it would hurt, but that wasn't the goal. The body's natural reaction is to block the face. He was baiting him into blocking his face with his shield. That should give him enough cover to catch his flank, chop his spear arm, then slash his stomach for the death blow. If he didn't block his face, then he could have been stunned enough to achieve the same effect.

He picked up his sheath quickly and ran to Albert, running in serpentine as to avoid any archers that were still about.
Lynden had a unique fighting style with every weapon he was skilled with. These were the fruits of his eleven years of training and the talent that he was born with. The battlefield was natural to him. Its where he excelled and shined.

A tear ran down his mother's face when Vaughn said "I love you."

"I love you too, so very much."
She managed to squeeze out before she choked up.

The pack Vaughn had ready for him was plenty for him to travel with. If his mother knew anything, it was traveling. Essential survival tols were packed along with plenty of supplies and necessities. The only thing she didn't grab were his knives. She didn't want to interrupt the father and son's meal just to grab the knife set. After he grabbed the knives, Vaughn left his home for the first time in his life. He was still young by dwarven and elven standards, almost at the age of manhood but not quite there yet. This didn't prevent him from starting his journey, though, and with Gilhom helping to protect Vaughn, this journey seemed like it would be prosperous.

Gilhom was waiting outside of the smithy, leaning against a fence post.
"Oi I'm glade ya could make it. We've met briefly 'afore but let's make it proper, yeah? I'm Gilhom Stockfinger, an 'afore you go spreadin' rumors, no I don't know where me cousin Dentun is an' i don't plan to find'em." It was well known that Gilom was a cousin of the famous Dentun Stockfinger. Gilom's uncle, Marko, moved to the big city of Cavenburrow with his wife, Anni, to bear children. He didn't like small town life and needed something new before raising children. Well Dentun turned out to be very successful and that's all the validation anyone needs to agree with the couple's move...anyone except Gilom and his family. They were slightly upset that Marko abandoned them and the family business. Marko was a wonderful armor smith who thought he could do better elsewhere.

Gilom extended his hand for a friendly gesture of greeting
"If ya don't mention me cousin and praise him like every one else, we'll get along just fine."

Picking on the halfling was a good move. Halflings relied mostly on their speed to do combat, they were lacking in strength. As Anzo spoke of all the horriffic things he could do to make the Halfling's life a living hell, the halfling started crying like a little baby.

"Spare me! spare me! I'll tell ya anything! Ya wanna know where yer mates be? Jump into the sink! Please just let me live! I'll change me ways! No more pirating! I swear on me mother's grave!"
Anzo didn't even have to ask. The halfling was willing to blurt everything out just to save his own hide, typical pirate. The halfling seemed sincere too, and he mentioned the sink, that strange scene Anzo witnessed earlier couldn't have just been chanse. It was evident that something odd was going on with that sink, but Anzo couldn't exactly put his finger on it. He had a lead now, a good lead, and the disappearance of his friends most likely had to do with the sink. The sink had never acted strange or magical like that before, however. This was quite odd.Should Anzo go and observe the sink, he would notice nothing out of the ordinary besides it being full of water.

Cecil was having little trouble with the archer, slicing his arms and legs until he eventually pierced the shieldless trainer in the chest. He turned to see Lynden taking care of the spearmen with his usual grace and style. All the while, Albert was unloading his quiver on the disadvantaged swordsmen.

"If I counted correctly, these are the last of the trainers! I rode around and didn't see anyone else so lets give'em hell!" He yelled as Lynden performed his art.

The first spearman went down with ease, it was almost too easy, but then again spears were easily defeated if they couldn't stay out of close range combat. The second spearman thrust his pole at Lynden's solar plexus, forcing an artful dodge out of the young lad. Almost immediately after dodging, Lynden moved forward on the spearman, hurling his sheath at the ambusher.

Out of instinct, the spearman raised his shield to block the blow but he side stepped as well. Lynden's attack missed, causing him to move farther past the spearman than he expected, showing his back to the furious trainer. One quick blow was all it took. Before Lynden could even turn around to face the spearman, Albert had already shot him in the forehead as Cecil ran towards the two warriors.

Lynden picked up his sheath and ran alongside Cecil to form up with Albert, who was still riding his horse. "Three of them...against the three of us...I'd say that's unfair." Albert was very skilled at mounted combat, Lynden would likely become the weapon master of Lumina someday, and Cecil was an iron wall with counter attacking skills on par with the assassins of Galena."Let's give them a hand, shall we?" Albert chuckled as he got off his horse, not even sending it towards his enemy. He was out of arrows now, and unsheathed his dull short sword.

"Albert, are you sure that's a good idea?"
Cecil asked, unsure about the outcome of this coming skirmish. In response, Albert simply grinned.

The three swordsmen stopped about ten feet from the three remaining squires. They all had kite shields, save one, and long swords at the ready. Each one wore a similar snarl of pure fury because of what had transpired. They underestimated the teamwork of the squires. On the outside they were angry, but on the inside they were proud. This is what they had been training the squires for.

Cecil was in the middle of the line, slightly forward with his shield readied.
Albert looked over at Lynden and nodded. That was his cue. Albert dashed past Cecil, towards the swordsmen, banking on Lynden coming too to flank the group. Cecil rushed straight forward, his shield held firmly in front of him, ready to bash the living daylights out of the first human he came in contact with.

The first went down easily, but he didn't have time to ponder it. He had to deal with the second. He raised his shield to defend his face, but dodged to the side, throwing off his calculations. He wouldn't have time to recover if it Albert hadn't saved him. He cursed his own fault and returned to Albert.

Three left, and no archers, according to Albert. Its a shame none of the ranged specialist squires were taken out so quickly. They could use the support. And Steven... Or rather, magic in general could help them out. But no such luck. Albert seemed content that they could handle the three lone trainers, but Cecil seemed hesitant. Lynden wasn't sure what to think, but he knew this was the only way they had a chance in beating them, so he didn't bother forming an opinion. He simply looked over to Albert and nodded, then dashed to the side.

Brother...

He ran around to the swordsmen's side. He was only planning his moves one at a time. This would be reckless, but it just could work. He never slowed down, and rushed at the swordsman on the furthest side. He drew the blade from his sheath quickly. As if he was planning on putting all his speed and momentum into the swing of his sword.

Niel had a habit of kneeing and kicking when they sparred. Lynden learned quickly the versatility of speed and legwork in a battle.

He rushed low, jumped at the last moment, and dropped kicked the man's shield, trying to use the weight of the man's shield against him and topple him over, where Lynden would stab him on the ground quickly and try to avoid his partners.

If he didn't topple him, then Lynden would push off the man's shield to the best of his ability and get out of his reach so he could recover.

Like a well oiled machine, the trio worked together with precision and exact timing. Though they could not speak aloud, each one knew the other's tendencies. Albert being shieldless would go toe to toe with the "injured" trainer and keep him busy. Cecil's move was predictable, but that's how Cecil liked it. He always made his moves predictable so that he would know that the enemy is trying to formulate a counter measure. Cecil would always be one step ahead, ready to counter his foe's counter measure. Lynden was the exact opposite of Cecil. His moves were often random and had varying outcomes. The brothers-in-arms simply knew how each other worked, and with that knowledge, the easily turned the tide of any fight.

Taking on the "one armed" swordsman, Albert had him on the defensive, lunging and striking at the man's vitals with near every swing. Cecil had accomplished his task with ease. The trainer he was facing ducked low and swung at Cecil's knees, aiming to chop him down, but Cecil knew that this was one of the man's options. He jumped over the trainer's slash, while using his forward momentum to keep him moving. Before the trainer knew what hit him, Cecil's sword was jabbed into his ribcage, a killing blow. Lynden's attack went smoothly as well, the swordsman made a wide swing at the jumping lad but could not complete it before Lynden's feet met the trainer's chest, forcing him to stagger backward into Albert's foe.

Using the unsuspected run in to his advantage, Albert dashed forward, piercing his foe in the gut. Had Albert been using a long sword, he would have skewered the two men at once as they stood back to back, recovering from the run in. Only one Trainer remained, still recovering from the drop kick, but holding his shield up to defend.