Syrasza

Gilhom was taken aback by the situation but Vaughn could only smile at the fact that he was interacting with a water sprite. Situations like this would phase most people but because it didn't deal with food Vaughn was a little more detached that a regular person. He would view the water sprite just he he would view any other race, and since it was in trouble he had to help, it was a part of his nature.

When it realized that it could be seen by the two of them it was excited and very happy. Vaughn smiled at the zealous reaction, and listened as it spoke to them about its situation and its possible death if nothing was done. Vaughn was particularly glad to help out in this situation since this sprite was in change of rains, which help feed the vegetation in the area. If it meant that food would be saved, whether the food was meant for him or not, he would undoubtedly assist it keeping it alive.

"Of course I'll help."

Vaughn reached his hands out and would as gently as he could pick up the creature and take it to the river. Once there he responded once more.

"I hope your rains make the best food around here."

He laughed at this intentions of helping out, but his heart was still in the right place regardless of any underlying reason. After finishing talking he would kneel and set the water sprite into the river so that it would be able to merrily swim along afterwards.

Lynden listened to the Queen, but his face was crunched in anger. He remained quite, and just traded concerned glances with his brothers.

"You do realize that you being there takes away our focus right?" He said irritably. He paced a bit, biting on his thumb while his eyes darted to and fro. In his mind, he was weighing the possibilities, and the consequences of both. After a moment, he ran his fingers through his dirty hair and gave up.

"If the Queen wills it. But if you're coming, you're coming to serve as backup for Steven. Anything that could be used in our protection, be it wards, barriers, or anything, will be up to you." He said, looking into her eyes fiercely. Lynden was too consumed with his desire for revenge to see anything else. Anger was a natural part of grief, but this was something more. The dragon had not only taken his teachers, but it had taken his pride.

"Alright... So lets get down to business." Lynden said, standing over the table, palms flat on the wood as he looked to his comrades, Glarriva included. "With Glarriva providing protection, Steven, I want you thinking solely of offense and Glarriva's protection. Both of you will take the northern hills and provide ranged support. I'll attack first, drawing it's attention. Albert, Cecil, you two should flank it from the sides. If attention shifts from one person, the others should try and focus on getting to the back of it's head, where the scales haven't fully grown." He said, drawing the strategy with his fingers to illustrate his points.

"No one should attack until Steven cripples the beast's wings. If we keep it grounded, we can win. Think you can do that Steven?" He said, looking at him concerned.

After they had said their piece, Lynden looked to Cecil.
"Anything else you can think of that can give us an advantage?"

And after they had all had time to go over the plan again, and revise it, and add to it, Lynden would conclude the briefing.
"Lets get some rest, we'll leave an hour before sunrise." And he would retire back to the corner with his sword shards and shield, making sure his chain mail and armor were in good condition before resting.

Unbeknownst to them, however, Lynden would leave for the barracks in the middle of the night, for he wasn't a knight, but a man with a vendetta that didn't want anymore bloodshed.

The spear wielding human followed Vrael's moves carefully. He noted the wet ground, meaning slick terrain. Thinking much like the wild elf, the human planned on using the terrain to his advantage, but more defensively.

As Vrael's spear cut through the air towards the human's shins, the man stabbed his spear into the muddy ground. Using the vibrations of the spearhead to loosen the ground, the human flung a wave of mud at the wild elf as he slid backwards to dodge the thrust at his torso. He quickly followed up with a thrust of his own towards the wild elf's shoulder.

"Thank you! Thank you so much!" The little sprite was beyond relieved. "You saved my life." The sprite smiled as she was placed into the river. She floated along the bank near Vaughn and reached her hands under the water. Gilhom's jaw hung slack as he watched everything unfold.

"I hope this can save your life some day like you saved mine today." She pulled her hands out of the waters and held a droplet of water the size of a pebble up towards Vaughn. Attached to the droplet was a cord made of water weeds, meant to be worn as a necklace. "Thank you again! May my rains forever grow the finest foods for you!" She smiled and dove under the water when Vaughn took the necklace.

Gilhom looked confused.
"What is that? What just happened? Did we...er...you...just save a...a fairy tale creature?" Gilhom plopped down and scratched his chin, running his fingers across the surface of the river. "A sprite...wow...Vaughn, this is such an odd adventure and we're just getting started." Gilhom said, eyeing the necklace.

Upon examination of the necklace, the water droplet was solid to the touch, but moved like a liquid along the forever green cord of water weeds. There was no way of knowing how to evoke the magic behind this trinket, but there were certainly magical properties about it. It wouldn't take an expert to notice that this necklace was enchanted.

"That sounds like a good idea, Irie! I hadn't even thought of that! You might even be able to get a ride on an airship! They always need doctors and none of us really want to leave here."

Irie blinked and considered it. "Well now, I had been thinking a normal caravan, but an airship would certainly be faster." To ride in an airship! Wouldn't that be an adventure. It was so completely unlike the Brier elves with their trees rooted to the ground. Irie looked around. Was she really so ready to just take off? Well, she certainly didn't quite feel like she belonged here, but if she thought about it, she didn't think she would belong on an airship either.

As the Rose and Thorne Pub came into view, Irie hurried her steps. Elves perhaps liked the rain and nature, but the halfling liked her comforts. Inside, it was lively, and Irie made sure to stick with Sylvia. Once separated, Irie knew just how hard (or at least embarrassing it was to rejoin her group. Usually whoever she was with would find her first. Naturally, Rose and Thorne saw Sylvia. Irie would have waved a greeting to Rose as well, but her hand would barely be seen by the person seated next to where she stood let alone arcoss the room. Instead, she tagged along to the table that Thorne had cleared.

"'Ere ya go, lassies! A nice clean table fer ya! I'll bring ya some wine in just a minute!"

"Thank you, Thorne!" she said, clambering up the stool with a sort of grace not normally seen in climbing. She had been raised by elves after all. And even though she had to make do most of the time, she had learned a trick or two in looking, well, like she belonged. It was kind of him to set up the stool when he had seen her coming. The chairs, well, if she stood in them she could eat like a proper person, but that wasn't the point of chairs.

"So...what ya gonna eat!? I was thinking of having a fruit salad! Rose does make a nice fruit salad."

"Ooh. I hadn't thought that far," she said laughing. "Maybe the cheese and biscuits? I do love Rose's cheeses. Or the pie if they have that today." It wasn't always served, and even when it was, they were quite popular. "Is it there on the board?" Irie strained to look at the board, but even atop a stool it wasn't easy.

Lynden's plan was solid. Everyone agreed wholeheartedly and trusted the squire. After the meeting, everyone retired to their respective resting areas. Albert and Cecil went to their cots upstairs and Glarriva reclined in a chair in the front room. Everyone was ready for some rest before the encounter.

The house was silent as Lynden crept out. Glarriva was sound asleep in her chair and Albert could be heard snoring from upstairs. The door made a slight creek as he exited but other than the slight squeal, Lynden's exit was stealthy.

The journey to the barracks was undisturbed by any wandering creatures of the night. Guided by torchlight, Lynden walked through paths cut through the woods leading to the isolated barracks. Around him, Lynden could hear raccoon and deer moving through the fallen leaves, going about their lives normally. The sounds of owls and bats were rarer, but still present. The closer Lynden got to the barracks, the quieter the night became until only the faint sound of his footsteps and the occasional rustle of some creature were the only noises heard.

Lynden would be able to smell burnt flesh once he entered the barracks site. There were scorched goblin bodies and elk littered about, but none looked fresh. The area was marred with claw marks and a thin layer of ash washed everything gray. The low, rhythmic sounds of snoring could be heard coming from behind the half demolished officer's building. Should Lynden make his way around, he would see the dragon sleeping peacefully with a half eaten sheep beside his mouth.

Vaughn was very pleased as the water sprite began to swim it its home once again. He was immediately thanked and the feeling was great. Helping someone always seemed to be something very gratifying in the eyes of Vaughn, despite there being no actual cooking involved. The sprite then responded with a gift from the water. It was an unbelievable sight to see the sprite create something for Vaughn to have. It was made out of water and it looked somewhat like a marble in its creation. Waterweeds connected thusly showed that it was supposed to be worn as a necklace. It was extended in the hands of the water sprite to show gratitude that Vaughn would show respect to. He reached for the necklace and with a nod took it from the sprite.

"The pleasure was all mine my friend."

Vaughn tried an elegant tone with a smile to be somewhat humorous of the situation. With Gilhom dumbfounded Vaughn put the necklace on and turned towards his dwarven friend to make light of the whole thing.

"How's it look?"

Vaughn acted as though nothing had even happened other than him helping someone, it hardly mattered to him that it was a mythical creature.

"Maybe the cheese and biscuits? I do love Rose's cheeses. Or the pie if they have that today. Is it there on the board?" Sylvia shrugged and squinted her eyes as she too strained to see the board. Only seconds after squinting, however, a glass of deep red wine was placed in front of her face, startling her but stirring a smile once she realized what it was.

"Thank you Thorne!" The eager elf snatched up her glass and took a hearty sip.

"No problem, lass. And yes, tha pie is Popipo berry today, would ya care fer a slice?" The kind Thorne smiled as he slid Irie's rose wine toward her.

Popipo berries were very sweet and have a very subtle tart. Their taste was similar to the sweetness of chocolate and had a thick creamy texture like custard when baked into pies. Rose's Popipo pies were the best any Popipo berry lover could ask for. She always saved some raw Popipo juices to drizzle over top of each slice as it was ordered.

Sylvia spoke up first.
"Oh, Popipo pie is too rich for me...I'll just stick with the bread pudding!"

Thorne smiled and nodded. "And for you, miss Irie?" Thorn would wait for a response then simply smile as he went to place the order.

When Thorne left, Sylvia would look at her friend with a smile. Reaching her hand out and placing it on Irie's, the elf sighed.
"I'm going to miss you while you're gone. I'll miss hearing the stories about your crazy experiments and who you're always on the verge of some new discovery...I'm going to miss drinking wine with you after work on rainy days..." The elf frowned and looked down at her wine glass. "But it will be all right." She said, looking back at Irie. "You're going to come back and share all of your stories with me!" Sylvia smiled once more, her smile fitting her face naturally. "What do you think it will be like? What are you looking forward to? Will you bring a boyfriend back to introduce me too!?" Sylvia almost squealed from the excitement of all the thoughts rushing through her head.

"How's it look?"

Gilhom's eyes widened as he reached out and cupped the odd charm in his hand.
"It looks like the rain..." Gilhom said, bewildered. He didn't hold the trinket long, as he looked down at his free hand he noticed a cloud had formed in it and was drizzling water into a puddle on the ground. "Gah! Did ya see that!?"​ Gilhom jumped up, the cloud disappearing from his hand as he dropped the trinket, and pointed at the ground. "I held a cloud!"

Sure enough, Gilhom did indeed hold a cloud in his hand. It even rained from that cloud. Now, where that water had fallen, the grass seemed like it instantly got healthier, more lush, greener...a flower even sprang up from the ground in that place. "Ah, a green thumb I have, ya!?" Gilhom laughed aloud. He was excited and bewildered at this marvelous yet simple magic. A necklace which can create wondrous rain...this was the gift of the water sprite.

"What do ya suppose..."
Gilhom stopped and stared across the river. "Somthin's over there..." The bushes rustled as some creature retreated away. "I didn't catch what it was...but I feel like it was watchin' us...let's keep moving..." Gilhom readjusted his pack and started walking, keeping an eye out across the river.

On the road, the dwarf would make conversation.
"So, why leave now? Why not wait until you're a bit older, more experienced?"

Halfway out of the small villa, Lynden stopped and looked down. If he kept going down the road he was going, he would be alone in more ways than one. He looked over his shoulder to the house, then he gazed back to the forest leading to the barracks. He knew he wasn't the only one that wanted vengeance. Why did he feel the need to carry on?

He realized it was because he felt weak. He wanted to prove himself before everyone. More than his desire to avenge his mentors, more than his hate for the dragon, more than anything.

He turned and returned back to the house. Because Lynden was weak. He knew he couldn't hope to fight the dragon himself.

But more than that, he was weak because he wanted to do this with his friends.

So he crept back in, and sat on the floor near Glarriva. He had slept too much the last few days, and his mind kept him awake with betraying thoughts of weaknesses.

As my spear plunged into the human's leg, I saw the male writhe in pain and attempt a swing. I pressed down on my spear and used it as a means to push myself away. The spear would go further into the man's leg, and I would move away from the wild swing of the dying human. I could only smile as I saw him near his end. Once the wild swing was over, I proceeded to pull the spear out and attack the arm in which the human held his spear. Once that was done with, I left the spear in his arm and picked up his spear. I admired the weapon for a few seconds before I turned to the human male.

"Let this be a lesson to you humans... Leave the land be."

As I finished speaking, I drove the human's own spear through the man's chest, aiming for his heart. I waited to verify that he was dead, and once that was done, I would motion for my family to come closer.

"See what possessions they had. Perhaps something can be of use to us soon. We'll be heading to town soon..."

With that said, I began to look through the corpse's clothes in order to try and see what kind of equipment he may have had with him. A city, after all, wasn't going to be the easiest thing to take down. Every little extra thing helped. Perhaps some animal help could be gained as well... First thing first, though... What had we found?

When Lynden returned, the house still seemed to slumber. Snoring could be heard coming from the other squires and a soft, rhythmic air came from Glarriva. When Lynden sat down next to her, a sigh and a stir quietly sounded from Glarriva.

"I'm glad that I didn't have to come chasing after you." Glarriva whispered with a smile. "You know I would have followed you and you would have been in a lot of trouble, that's why you came back, isn't it?" The young queen giggled slightly at her mocking attitude. "Don't worry about it. We all want to fight this creature. We all want justice for those who lost their lives."

Glarriva sat up and placed a hand on Lynden's shoulder.
"You should go wake the others if you're ready to depart now." Even with slightly puffy eyes from sleep, messy hair, and a wrinkled outfit, Glarriva's smile was still the most beautiful thing in this Kingdom.