2. 1-3 posts per week
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
I've probably missed an announcement... but what is this heart symbol thing next to people's usernames? @-@

Maybe a new adult/teen icon. I've noticed some have blue hearts while others have red.

I'm not seeing hearts, just stars...

Reactions: Opossum My Possum
Yes, the hearts are just an updated version of the same red stars and blue stars that we've had up until now -- just more noticeable. Also, they apparently show up on some people's devices before others (I started seeing hearts on my phone long before my laptop caught up), which is probably why some of you are still seeing regular stars. It should update soon enough. ^^

I see them now! The hearts make more sense than the stars but I find them kind of jarringly large.

Reactions: Celest and Katori
The new age group icons being large and hard to miss is very intentional. Now there will be fewer honest mistakes and fewer excuses for intentional creeps in regards to smutting across age lines. :D

The new age group icons being large and hard to miss is very intentional. Now there will be fewer honest mistakes and fewer excuses for intentional creeps in regards to smutting across age lines. :D
Meanwhile, being a giant adult/teen heart also more strongly suggests "I'm here to cyber" than a subtler indicator like a small star does.

Might wanna rethink that symbol so you can both be clear about age and not as suggestive about intent.

I'll keep my outlining complaints to myself *stares at hug rating*

Meanwhile, being a giant adult/teen heart also more strongly suggests "I'm here to cyber" than a subtler indicator like a small star does.

Might wanna rethink that symbol so you can both be clear about age and not as suggestive about intent.

I'll keep my outlining complaints to myself *stares at hug rating*
Eh, well, the entire point of the age indicator icons is to make age groups clear for anyone engaging in sexual roleplaying. If the new icon immediately makes you think about that sort of thing then I would say we nailed the intent. Nothing about it says everyone is here to write smut, but it's an entirely smut-related thing so I'm not too worried about it, lol.

Last edited:
Eh, well, the entire point of the age indicator icons is to make age groups clear for anyone engaging in sexual roleplaying. If the new icon immediately makes you think about that sort of thing then I would say we mailed the intent. Nothing about it says everyone is here to write smut, but it's an entirely smut-related thing so I'm not too worried about it, lol.
It's 'cause anything that advertises as erotica very often use both hearts and the colour red, whereas eRP is part rather than central to Iwaku, I was lead to believe. The association is there because it's a common design choice, but not necessarily representative of the full scope of Iwaku. Regardless it's still one of the first thing people will see about their profile when they post as well as about others. Because red is in general associated with passion (and the heart then cements sex) and is one of the first colours to draw the human eye... When I was asked to incorporate hearts in a logo and design that according to the owner had to be red, but then you start testing for reactions and well... That.

Changing the colour would be the easiest hotfix there is if you want to preserve the idea that it's part rather than central. If not, well, I guess you'll see less "but it's so small I didn't see it" and more "well gosh I was paying attention to something else." from the same people ;p

• Useful
Reactions: Astaroth
It's 'cause anything that advertises as erotica very often use both hearts and the colour red, whereas eRP is part rather than central to Iwaku, I was lead to believe. The association is there because it's a common design choice, but not necessarily representative of the full scope of Iwaku. Regardless it's still one of the first thing people will see about their profile when they post as well as about others. Because red is in general associated with passion (and the heart then cements sex) and is one of the first colours to draw the human eye... When I was asked to incorporate hearts in a logo and design that according to the owner had to be red, but then you start testing for reactions and well... That.

Changing the colour would be the easiest hotfix there is if you want to preserve the idea that it's part rather than central. If not, well, I guess you'll see less "but it's so small I didn't see it" and more "well gosh I was paying attention to something else." from the same people ;p
Smut writing is not the core of Iwaku, no, but the reality of the matter is that it is a major part. The 1x1 Redstar Bedroom is by far the most active roleplaying subforum on the site. The "core" of Iwaku is roleplaying in general, and the various kinds of roleplaying are segments of that core. Iwaku isn't advertised as an eRP forum because that's not the sole focus of the site, but honestly if anyone sees red hearts and gets the idea that there's a lot of smut going on here then that would just be a very accurate view of Iwaku. That's why I'm not worried about the red hearts thing.

Yep, the intentional creeps will have excuses either way, but that is entirely expected. The honest mistakes of people not noticing the tiny little star before getting into smutty roleplaying with each other is the more important thing to dissuade with the more visible icons because they will, y'know, actually be dissuaded unlike those intentionally breaking the rules.

I personally love the heart-stars for cuteness factor; smut/libertine/lemons or however you want to call it didn't come to my mind ^^;.

However I can imagine why it may, and that's one reason why I feel it's nice that it's kind of in your face now.

I thought the new icons were a great Christmas gift, since they showed up at some point on Christmas for me. lol They're very cute, and much easier to see for my old lady eyes. =)

I love the new icons. Personally smut is not what came to mind when I saw them. I just thought they were cute if anything.. the new design was stylish and easier to see which is something I know that many can appreciate. My husband Kalab, on the site, is nearly blind as a bat lol, so being able to see something in a larger scale that indicates who he's talking to is great for him! =3

I don't mind them too much. They are a little too big for my liking, almost gaudy .

The only real issue I have is sometimes the hearts are right next to, almost on top of, the last letter of someone's name. Sometimes it is rather nicely spaced. Then sometimes it is way off towards the right.

I'm not sure if it has to do with name length? It doesn't seem to. Or if it's because I'm on mobile ooorrr it's just how they are.

• Useful
Reactions: Astaroth
I'm not sure if it has to do with name length?
From what I see after scrolling up, it coincides with what's written under your name. At least from a mobile perspective.

• Thank You
  • Useful
Reactions: Astaroth and Celest
The heart-stars were my Christmas present to the forum, yes. 8D Actually they were supposed to go up earlier but Diana was the one who had to integrate them via FTP and she forgot until I reminded her, lmao.

We had a lot of complaints about the stars being small and easily missed, especially when they were asterisks. The new icons are bigger and also have a heart incorporated to be clearer about what the fuck they actually are related to, without us having to change any forum names or create allusions in the names that we wanted to avoid. I can appreciate perspectives like Kestrel's but we have very firm reasoning behind this choice, in my opinion, and they're here to stay for the foreseeable future.

As to how they display on mobile, that is an issue we're aware of and we will fix if possible but it may take some time. Unfortunately a lot of things display wonky on mobile and there's only so much we can do to avoid or address that because mobile styling is a bitch. D:

Status
Not open for further replies.