Swords and Starships IC

Status
Not open for further replies.
"You worry too much Carla i'm sure whatever goes on in there won't be affecting us too horribly...well at least not me." James said while flopping onto his back to get into a more relaxed position. Sighing as he kept busy by counting the tiles on the ceiling, and taking mental bets on which race would be the first to declare war. "Heh I bet it'll be the elves vs the dwarves again. Those two go way back to even before we stepped onto the final frontier." He then went into deep thought on just how such a fight would go especially with two definite powerhouses like them.

Deciding that he couldn't stay still with his mind now running at full capacity, James did a little kick-flip up to quickly get back upon his feet. "I'm wonder just how antsy the populace is about the news here. As it stands this meeting could either make or break the rep of Apex depending on who gives in first." He took to pacing in a small area to keep himself on high alert should anything go wrong in the next few minutes or so.
Carla started muttering to herself angrily as she tuned in and out of the correct sound frequency. Her blonde hair looked nice in the sun, and if she wasn't such a gear-head she might've cared more about her appearance. Once upon a time she was the daughter of a noble on Aslao, holding herself up to high standards before an opportunity arose for her to escape. She hasn't looked back once.

Bill couldn't help but laugh at Carla as she became more and more agitated and James and himself, it was fun messing with her. "Maybe you should go back home, Carla. Maybe the merc life has gotten to, huh? No one wants to change anything! We just want money."

Carla retreated further into herself, her gaze growing distant as she worked on the holo-pad.

BIll's eyes grew distant as well as he sighed, "You know I don't mean that..." He turned his head to the sky, "But maybe you're right." he muttered.
Tara blinked rapidly when she saw the woman, quickly becoming apprehensive when she realized Madame Vitriella was an elf. She pursed her lips, pushing past her own prejudice to be civil. The whole thing seemed to be a bunch of bullshit, in her opinion, but she'd decided to give it a try. And that's what she was going to do.

Taking a breath, she stared the woman in the eyes as she said somewhat slowly but not quite condescendingly, "I'm looking for my parents. I've received word they were spotted somewhere in The Apex, and they're here for the peace talks. That's all I know, and my first contact had no valuable information." She hoped against reason that this woman would actually be able to give her the answers she needed. There wasn't even a guarantee that her parents were here, but she was fairly certain they were. They had never really attempted to be inconspicuous, so it would be relatively easy to recognize them after a couple glances.
"Well, well, well my dear that is a tricky one." The elven woman walked a little way towards the back curtain against what seemed to be a wall. "Most people in this day and age have numerous ways of staying hidden, and nobody is really able to find them easily." she rifled through a bag that was hanging on a shelf, "But luckily you've found me." She smiled and pressed a button inside the bag.

The curtains parted by themselves and revealed a secret back room. The room was dark and mysterious with only magical orbs of light circling a round table covered in various cloth.

"Come, child! Why don't we find some answers together, yes?" A deck of cards streamed passed her head and stacked themselves neatly on the desk. "You must keep an open mind, however."

((Had work today, ran really late, sorry.))

Nolan could relate to what Bishop had said, though it sounded more as though he'd been fired. Though he had enjoyed the attempt at figuring out Bishop's purpose, Nolan decided to cut to the chase. "Look, I'll be honest with you, most people in this place are here with a purpose. They have a clear objective and they're working toward completing it... You strike me as the same kind of person." Nolan paused as he assessed Bishop, studying his appearance and mannerisms. "You chose to sit next to me for a reason, and you showed me that screen for a reason, you have an objective much like these other people. I can tell." Nolan shifted himself to face Bishop and set a calm look on his face.

"I am not threatening you, quite the opposite as I do not want trouble. I'm just curious, you have a mischievous yet harmless air about you, and it's in my nature to figure things out." Nolan chuckled to himself as he spoke. "If you're looking to hire me, I assure you there is no need for small talk, but if there is something else you want..." Nolan paused again, his face appearing to be in thought. "Well, I guess you might as well just ask." Nolan sat back again and awaited a reply from the mysterious Elf.

Zona was walking around the trade sector, spying the booths. She had a list from her father, but right now she wanted to take her time. The Apex is so different from her home planet of Poustea, in fact it was a bit overwhelming. There was so much to see and do, so many people, both human and not. She had heard many rumors about things happening on The Apex from the people around, but she still wasn't fully sure what was going on.

She took out the list again. There was a specific booth that her father wanted her to go to to trade some of the goods, and a few others to buy more supplies. She wasn't exactly sure where any of these were, and her father neglected to draw her up a map of the area. It wasn't necessarily is fault, she was sent out on short notice. He also gave her a small bit of spending money for herself, mainly to buy food and afford transit back home. He didn't want her stranded at The Apex. She didn't understand why he didn't just pay for a round trip for her, but she wouldn't question him. She continued wandering, making her way to a booth selling small trinkets and souvenirs of sorts.

(sorry this is so late >.<)

James did feel a bit of remorse when he saw the slight change with Carla, but speaking on it further probably wouldn't help. Taking a gander at the sky as well he began to reflect upon his life, and just how much change he had brought about. "Let's switch the topics from being so depressing shall we. Anyone got goals they want to see achieved in the future?" He asked this as it stood to be his go to whenever conversations got a bit stagnant, that and learning more about these guys couldn't hurt either. He sat back up waiting to hear just what kind of fancy dreams they had going on in their minds.

((Had work today, ran really late, sorry.))

Nolan could relate to what Bishop had said, though it sounded more as though he'd been fired. Though he had enjoyed the attempt at figuring out Bishop's purpose, Nolan decided to cut to the chase. "Look, I'll be honest with you, most people in this place are here with a purpose. They have a clear objective and they're working toward completing it... You strike me as the same kind of person." Nolan paused as he assessed Bishop, studying his appearance and mannerisms. "You chose to sit next to me for a reason, and you showed me that screen for a reason, you have an objective much like these other people. I can tell." Nolan shifted himself to face Bishop and set a calm look on his face.

"I am not threatening you, quite the opposite as I do not want trouble. I'm just curious, you have a mischievous yet harmless air about you, and it's in my nature to figure things out." Nolan chuckled to himself as he spoke. "If you're looking to hire me, I assure you there is no need for small talk, but if there is something else you want..." Nolan paused again, his face appearing to be in thought. "Well, I guess you might as well just ask." Nolan sat back again and awaited a reply from the mysterious Elf.
((Don't worry, friend c:))

Bishop seemed to be sweating bullets. "Well you see, It's really complicated. Was I fired? Technically. Did i do something wrong or maybe even criminal? Perhaps. But I am not one to go by labels..." He went about muttering to himself for a good minute before he finally brought himself to look straight at Nolan. Bishop wasn't a particularly good liar, and looking straight into Nolan's eyes made him stop muttering-- he was at a loss. He stared straight at Redorak through the screen. He felt a twinge of shame cross over his face as he stared at the man's evil smile. Even through a monitor you could feel his presence. Anyone could lie, why was he so bad at that? Yet another thing he didn't succeed in.

He gave a heavy sigh, "I was what you'd call a 'hacktivist'..." he cringed at the word, but there wasn't really another phrase for it, "At least I was according to the council. And I really didn't do anything wrong... At least I didn't mean to..."

Zona was walking around the trade sector, spying the booths. She had a list from her father, but right now she wanted to take her time. The Apex is so different from her home planet of Poustea, in fact it was a bit overwhelming. There was so much to see and do, so many people, both human and not. She had heard many rumors about things happening on The Apex from the people around, but she still wasn't fully sure what was going on.

She took out the list again. There was a specific booth that her father wanted her to go to to trade some of the goods, and a few others to buy more supplies. She wasn't exactly sure where any of these were, and her father neglected to draw her up a map of the area. It wasn't necessarily is fault, she was sent out on short notice. He also gave her a small bit of spending money for herself, mainly to buy food and afford transit back home. He didn't want her stranded at The Apex. She didn't understand why he didn't just pay for a round trip for her, but she wouldn't question him. She continued wandering, making her way to a booth selling small trinkets and souvenirs of sorts.

(sorry this is so late >.<)
((You're fine xD I should have messaged you.))

Thea, a dwarven merchant, grunted, "What a useless bag of shit." She looked over her trove of "fantasical items from across the realm" otherwise known as her shop. "Everyone knows it," she thought, "None of these do anything of use. I should never have left fucking Pyara. Sure, the people sucked but the sand didn't suck. I could keep to myself and I didn't have to deal with customers." she grumbled on and on to herself before realizing a young girl approach her shop, "Showtime." she whispered to herself.

She made her movements big and over the top, "Welcome, child!" she could barely hold in her own disgust at herself, "Have you come to peruse my vast selection of Pyaran relics?" She smiled wide.

James did feel a bit of remorse when he saw the slight change with Carla, but speaking on it further probably wouldn't help. Taking a gander at the sky as well he began to reflect upon his life, and just how much change he had brought about. "Let's switch the topics from being so depressing shall we. Anyone got goals they want to see achieved in the future?" He asked this as it stood to be his go to whenever conversations got a bit stagnant, that and learning more about these guys couldn't hurt either. He sat back up waiting to hear just what kind of fancy dreams they had going on in their minds.
"I'm going to be the best damn tech you've ever seen." Carla's eyes were fiery, "Through hacking a giant network of informants I will dominate the outer rim." Her typing pace quickened ever so slightly as she spoke, "And once I've achieved absolute control over this pathetic galaxy and It's inhabitants I will look specifically for everybody who has so much as looked at me wrong. And they. Will. Bow." She stopped for a moment and returned solely to her holo-pad, "But short term?" she showed the two men the device, "Get this damn thing to work."

Bill stared at her incredulously, "I mean, I was just going to take a big score and retire to some mushy Elven planet but that's cool too, I suppose..."

Carla chuckled to herself a little bit, "What about you, James? Anything interesting going on in that thick head of yours?" she smiled.

Reactions: Oryx

"They're servin' bread sticks again!" She pursed her lips in disgust. "They aren't even good bread sticks! They taste like sh-" Stella's words were cut off short by a glare of the chef who made the bread sticks in question. That look cut right through her, and she shut up promptly, walking to her seat with the bread sticks. Hal followed behind closely, avoiding any kind of eye contact with the chef and instead looking down at his tray. It had a white substance on it in the corner, green circles in the center and a dark brown slab in the larger section. 'Mashed potatoes, peas and meat' he remembered Stella saying. He liked the mashed potatoes, but peas were not his thing. He ate them though, they were supposed to make him strong. Was he strong?

"Damn, why are we eatin' in a dive like this? We deserve class!" She whispered in an energized tone, making faces of unhappiness at her tray. When they were seated, the silver-haired woman glanced around, checking not only the place but the people out. "Not that bad.." she mumbled, returning her gaze to Hal. "Make sure to eat most of it, okay?" The girl began to dig into her meal, eating it like she hadn't eaten in awhile, and to be frank, she hadn't. Not a lot anyways, just snacks here and there. Hal looked down and began to cut his food into smaller pieces. A long time ago Stella had told him that if he ate in large bites and didn't chew he could choke, so he was instructed to always cut his food.

As he slowly ate, Stella looked at the expression on his face, and spoke as if she could always read his mind. "Don't worry, we're just here until the end of the council session. Once those aristocrats are done with their politics meeting, we're gonna transport them back to the outer ring and be done with the transport business. I know it's been shitty the past few weeks but it'll get better soon, I promise." Stella patted his hand, reassuring him of their plan. For some reason or another, Hal was uncomfortable inside the Apex nucleus. Something about being in the center of a space station told him "No." She felt it too, to some degree. Something wasn't right about the center. But hey, a job is a job and they had to do it. This last transport was going to get them enough money to hop aboard a starship and leave. They tried to avoid jobs on the Apex as much as possible because of heavy traffic regulation and simple population alone. There were so many people that the two of them felt unsafe to have Hal there, and would be better suited somewhere else.

He nodded and ate his food quietly, not ever really making any noise at all. She finished first of course, bread sticks and all, and sipped the tall red glass of her favorite drink: Sniggs. When it first enters the mouth, it creates an unpleasant sour taste. But if you hold it in your mouth, you are rewarded with a sweet, nutty taste that lingers for a long time. It was unusual to say the least, but delicious. "Hey, Hal.." She leaned forwards a little, voice dipping down to quieter proportions, "I've been thinking... How'd you like to find a crew to join? A starship crew, so we can just.. travel with them wherever they go. It might be nice to have friends right? And it would really save us money." The thought had been crossing her mind for awhile. If they could find a captain who needed extra hands, that would mean never having to find room and board, or paying for trips on ships. Plus, a crew would be good. Somebody to watch their backs.

Hal stopped his eating and nudged the peas on his plate. He didn't know what to think of that, of being around more people for extended periods of time. That might have been what he needed, but he had no idea. "As long as we stay together..." He whispered, same answer as always. Stella laughed and nodded, "Yeah yeah, you know that wont change.."
Sara dashed through the streets with a guardsmen on her tail, "Mom!" She screamed as she ran through the streets. In hindsight, shooting the cop with transformation magic several times wasn't the best course of action. She didn't have any more satchels left, so at the moment she seemed to be out of magic.

"Get back here you rotten little girl!" The cop screamed. He still had raccoon ears on the top of his head.

"Mom!!!" Sara screamed louder. A restaurant caught her eye and an idea popped into her little brain. She dashed inside with the cop at her heels and latched onto a woman with silver hair, "Mom!!!" She panted, victorious.

The cop stumbled in and pointed at the silver haired woman, "You need to keep your daughter under control!"

Sara peeked through her dark hair at the woman with a hopeful look that said , "PLEEEEEAAASSSSEEEEE"

Bishop seemed to be sweating bullets. "Well you see, It's really complicated. Was I fired? Technically. Did i do something wrong or maybe even criminal? Perhaps. But I am not one to go by labels..." He went about muttering to himself for a good minute before he finally brought himself to look straight at Nolan. Bishop wasn't a particularly good liar, and looking straight into Nolan's eyes made him stop muttering-- he was at a loss. He stared straight at Redorak through the screen. He felt a twinge of shame cross over his face as he stared at the man's evil smile. Even through a monitor you could feel his presence. Anyone could lie, why was he so bad at that? Yet another thing he didn't succeed in.

He gave a heavy sigh, "I was what you'd call a 'hacktivist'..." he cringed at the word, but there wasn't really another phrase for it, "At least I was according to the council. And I really didn't do anything wrong... At least I didn't mean to..."
Nolan smiled as Bishop spilled himself and lost his composure, he liked seeing people act like people and not formal machines. While professionalism was nice, it was often irritating when in the wrong setting, and this was definitely the wrong setting. Bishop had corrected that and made Nolan much more easy going in doing so. Bishop's actions were now clear to Nolan as to why he was chosen or why he showed him the screen, he was reliving the days when he could do so much more than a hack into a security feed. Nolan respected that, and understood Bishop in a slightly better manner now. Furthermore, Bishop's abilities had piqued his interests and Nolan was now listening with his full attention.

In his day-to-day life, the jobs Nolan took often revolved around his abilities as a person. Anything that required an expert understanding of computers or networks was off the table, and anything that would require two people was even farther off of the table due to Nolan being one person and all. But Nolan saw an opportunity, a way for the both of them to prosper, though there was little trust in Bishop he seemed fairly harmless.

"Hmm... While normally I am the one being asked for work, I feel that we could work quite well together. You see, I can work a computer well, but when it comes to hacking anything I am at a loss. You, on the other hand, you seem quite skilled in that area." Nolan spoke calmly with his lawful tone as he seemed to be gauging Bishop's reaction. "I'll cut to the chase, I can't accept job offers that require more than one person, and especially if they require computer knowledge. We should work together, as we'd both benefit from it. Profits are split 50/50, you get to practice your skills and I get to work. How does that sound to you?" Nolan asked, hopeful that Bishop would accept the offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.