Swords and Flowers

Keeping his hand on his sword's hilt, in case anything happened, he kept his gait loose and ready for anything.

Kieara was slightly afraid. Her father had never told her she had visitors and no one be there.

Holding open the doors to the castle for her, Stijn waited until she went inside before following after her.

She went to her father. HE looked confused and looked to Stijn for an answer.

"We were attacked. I don't know by whom, but an arrow almost killed your daughter, Your Highness. I searched the area, but found no trace of assassin or other sort of hired sword," Stijn said, bowing slightly.

The man looked a bit stoic to have heard this news. He stroked his beard. "I see, well, keep inside Kieara." He never said to take any other precautionary measures as most would've.

Stijn had to bite his tongue to not say anything brash at the king's answer. Fine, he decided, if the king wanted only him to keep his daughter safe, that was his decision--and her funeral--but speaking out against him would surely get him fired. Looking to Kieara, he tried to gauge her reaction.

Kieara looked shocked, but also bit her tounge knowing the consequences. She nodded. "Yes daddy..." She headed to her room seeming bothered.

Following her, Stijn was silent until they reached her room. "What's wrong?" he asked. "Aside from having your life put in danger."

"Just daddy didn't even seem to care...." She said softly.

"Yeah...I sort of noticed that...Any idea why that might be?" he asked, sitting down in the chair he had sat in last night.

"No..." She said and glanced outside. She frowned seeing a carriage pull in. "Great, and now my step brother is here." She said. HEr fahter had remarried and she hated the new queen and her son.

"You've got a step-brother?" Stijn asked, questioning in his voice. He knew that the king had gotten remarried at some point, but hadn't known that his new wife had a son.

"Yes, I hate it when he comes to visit. The queen isn't very friendly to me, but this makes it worse."

Stijn only nodded in response. "I've never had any step-siblings," he told her. "I was an only child."

"I had a sister, then she fell ill with mother and died....father remarried. I don't like her, but I say nothing because he is happy, but my step-brother and my mother do not treat me well, nor does father when they're around."

"I can't say I've ever known what that's like," he said. He had lived a rather charmed childhood, where both his mother and father lived with him, in a relatively nice place. As he got older, his mother fell ill and died, leaving only his father. He'd left soon after, never looking back.

"You don't have to." She smiled. "You're the first to ever ask."