Swimming Up the Waterfall (Peregrine x Ariel)

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per day
  2. Multiple posts per week
  3. One post per week
  4. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
On fairly regularly, every day. I'll notice a PM almost immediately. Replies come randomly.
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Male
  2. No Preferences
Genres
High fantasy is my personal favorite, followed closely by modern fantasy and post-apocalyptic, but I can happily play in any genre if the plot is good enough.
The faint warbling of a wren heralded the arrival of dawn, and caused the dark eyes of a grey-haired man to slowly open. He had been sitting, silent and as still as a rock, in the middle of the courtyard in front of a little wooden house, surrounded by tall, green bamboo.

With familiar, practiced movements, the man unfolded his legs and stood up, facing the brightening sky before settling into a horse stance. Only when the first rays of the sun actually crossed the horizon did he begin to move, every gesture and stance slow but natural, like he was drawing the patterns of a curling river or the gusts of a breeze.

In the distance, the bird continued to sing, before there was the sudden sound of wings. Darting through between the swaying bamboo, the little bird dove down towards the man, before perching on his finger. It fluffed itself for a moment, before man and bird simultaneously seemed to shiver. The man came to a jerky halt, his gaze unconsciously straying away from the bird and turning instead to stare through the gate that led into his courtyard.

With a reluctant sigh, Ma Sheng allowed his hands to fall to his side, his head shaking slightly as the bird startled and flew off into the distance with the rapid sound of wingbeats. It appeared that he would simply have to accept that this morning was a lost cause. Who would have guessed that an old man like him could end up so distracted by something as simple as taking in a disciple? Even just a couple days ago, he would have laughed at anyone who told him his unknown, unseen disciple's arrival would be enough to throw off his morning practice.

It just went to show that even he didn't understand himself well enough yet.

Sighing once more, Ma Sheng went back to the well at the side of his house, drawing a bucket of water before quickly washing off his face and cleaning his beard. Once the bucket was returned to the well, he picked up the nearby broom, and began to slowly sweep the courtyard from one side to the other. However, every so often his gaze would stray expectantly towards the courtyard's entrance.

"Look at you," Ma Sheng scolded himself when he caught where his gaze was wandering. "Are you really that excited to start teaching, or have you just gotten lonely in your old age?"

Almost as though in answer to his question, the sound of two pairs of footsteps suddenly began to echo through the air in the distance. There weren't many who would come this far out of the way for their footsteps to be audible from his courtyard. No one in the sect wanted to be close to him, and Ma Sheng was also more than happy to keep himself at a distance from them. Therefore, the only logical conclusion was that his guests were here.

Setting his broom to the side, Ma Sheng expectantly turned to face the gateway, hands tucked behind his back as he waited to get a glimpse of his new disciple.

A familiar voice rang out from beyond Ma Sheng's courtyard. "Elder Brother Ma! It's Sima Yuan with a burden to place upon your shoulders!"

The voice was rich, deep, artfully modulated - a poet's voice and a scholar's, shaped for declaiming verse and making speeches. Its owner's bearing lived up to its promise as he strode into view: Fourth Elder Sima of the Quanzhen Sect was a tall man of gracious deportment, surprisingly sturdy for all that he affected an air of scholarly diffidence.

"It's been too long since we last sat down for a drink," said Sima Yuan with a smile. "But I've come on business today, and we have to show a good example for this little maiden here."

He stepped to one side and waved his companion forward. "Little maiden" was usually a courtesy phrase, but it was entirely apt here. The girl was an exquisite slip of a thing, looking for all the world like she'd been carved out of ivory. Hands delicate as the petals of a peony bent gracefully into a greeting; and when she spoke it was the sound of small bells ringing.

"Worthless disciple Ouyang Xue pays her obeisance to Master Ma," she said, with impeccable, formal courtesy.

Sima Yuan watched Ma Sheng keenly. If this worked out, he'd have taken down two hawks with a single arrow.

"You've been busy, Brother Sima," Ma Sheng replied, cupping his hands in polite greeting. "I am sure we will have plenty of time to catch up when matters of the sect permit."

Ma Sheng had mixed feelings towards Sima Yuan. He was an honorable man, but Ma Sheng knew if it wasn't for the fact that he'd saved Sima Yuan's life when they were both younger, the other man would want nothing to do with an old, 'talentless' man like him.

Even now, Fourth Elder Sima allowed Ma Sheng to stay at the Quanzhen Sect more out of a desire to maintain his reputation of repaying his benefactor, than out of actual goodwill to Ma Sheng. After all, they'd been apart for almost sixty years after they first met, before Ma Sheng reappeared in his life, asking for a safe place to live.

However, Sima Yuan's opinion of him truly did not matter to Ma Sheng, as long as it didn't get in the way of him having a peaceful place to live and cultivate. And it was his desire to maintain that peace which led him to accept Sima Yuan's request for him to teach the orphaned child of one of his family friends.

Ma Sheng's gaze turned. That 'child' was already blossoming into a graceful young woman, her every gesture careful and elegant. Ma Sheng didn't try to resist the small smile that tugged at the corners of his lips.

"Come in, child," he said. "There's no need to remain standing so cautiously at the entryway."

The girl took a step forward, and bowed. But the step was what was interesting. Firm, confident, even bold - and thoroughly grounded. She had lifted her foot without tilting her spine or head, shifting her legs and hips to maintain her balance; placed her foot where she intended to put it, without transferring her weight; and then, when she was sure of her footing, translating herself forward.

A careless observer might be surprised at her being suddenly closer. A more educated eye would have seen her move with grace, precision and speed. To a cultivator with the experience that Ma Sheng had, it was proof that she was highly trained, very talented, or both.

So why was Sima Yuan fobbing off such potential on him?

Or perhaps, she had been hiding it all this time. Ouyang Xue cast a glance back at Sima Yuan, and allowed a ghost of a smile to cross her lips at the widening of his eyes.

"My gratitude for all of your assistance, Fourth Elder Sima," she said. "With your permission, I'll place myself under Master Ma's tutelage henceforth."

She dropped to her knees and touched her brow to the ground three times.

"Master Ma, Xue is now your disciple, today and for all days until the end of her wretched existence."

Sima Yuan definitely wasn't the only one who noticed the sudden change in Ouyang Xue's step. Ma Sheng couldn't help but lift one brow in surprise, his heart unconsciously paying her a small compliment. Good foundation, and the appearance of being hardworking and willing to learn. She would be easy to teach well.

And that particular thought was what led his eyes to wander back to Sima Yuan, one brow lifted inquisitively. It wasn't like the man to give away something good. Which meant either Sima Yuan had suddenly decided to be generous, or this girl was playing tricks of her own. Either conclusion led Ma Sheng to let out a small, unnoticeable sigh. He hoped that he wasn't about to be dragged into the middle of something complicated. Especially not when the whole reason he'd come to the Quanzhen Sect was to find a peaceful environment.

But, whatever the case was, and whatever actions both Ouyang Xue and Sima Yuan planned to take going forward, he couldn't leave the girl kneeling on the ground.

"Good child," he said kindly. "You've paid your respects; stand up. I've never been one for formalities."

His eyes turned once again. "Brother Sima, will you be staying for tea?"

Sima Yuan feigned a cough to hide his surprise. Not that it mattered; he knew both Ma Sheng and Ouyang Xue had noticed. That damned girl - ! She'd played him for a fool. All that talk about how her parents hadn't taught her anything because they wanted a peaceful life for her....

But it wouldn't do to let on too much. Xue was a cunning little minx, but she was still just a girl. If she wanted to waste her potential as a disciple of the sluggard Ma Sheng, that was her problem. Either way, she was no threat to Sima Yuan's position. If anything, this was but a minor irritation. Yes, let them have their little triumph. You could float a barge in a minister's belly, after all.

The smile returned to Sima Yuan's face. "Thank you, Brother Ma, but my duties call," he said. "I'll let you two get to know each other, and I'll have some servants send wine and a little feast in celebration. Miss Ouyang's baggage as well."

He turned and left with as much dignity as he could muster - which, to be fair to him, was a fair bit.

Ouyang Xue watched him go with a faint smile on her lips, and once he was out of sight she stuck out her tongue in his direction before turning back to Ma Sheng.

"Forgive my deception, Master," she said. "Mr Sima is a decent man, but I couldn't trust him completely. But I promise that I shall be scrupulously honest with you, now and forever."

Ma Sheng felt himself smile slightly at the sight of Ouyang Xue's little, pink tongue sticking out from between her lips as she stared at Sima Yuan's retreating back. It was good to see some playfulness from her. From the moment she'd arrived up until now, she'd put on a serious, studious air, but Ma Sheng had always been one to believe that children should be playful and impetuous. It was only right that they take advantage of their youth in such a manner, since it wouldn't last forever.

That was the way he had lived his youth, after all.

Forcibly dragging himself out of his memories, Ma Sheng nodded in response to Ouyang Xue's words. However, his own reply seemed to somewhat contradict the gesture he had just given. "They are your secrets," he replied. "It is only natural that you should share them, or not, as you so choose."

He watched her for a second, before his gaze momentarily turned to look in the direction that Sima Yuan had departed. Even with the tree-covered hills that blocked his view, he could still sense the main sect with his powerful soul force. Unlike his quiet little cabin, which was barely disturbed by the occasional twittering bird or the rustle of a branch disturbed by a squirrel, the Quanzhen Sect bustled with activity in every corner. Countless disciples filled the open spaces, coming and going with the materials they'd gathered from an expedition, stopping to chat with each other, or gathering into small groups to exchange a few pointers. It was a vibrant contrast.

"However, I fear you may have missed a good opportunity by holding your secrets so close. Quanzhen is a powerful, influential sect, and they will not value you as much as you deserve hidden away in my quiet little home."

"Hmph," Xue snorted lightly. "Their very power and influence distracts them from their cultivation. Look at Master Sima. He's an intelligent, talented man, yet he wastes his time jostling for advantage among the elders of the sect. Every one of them is angling to gain from when the Sect Head passes from the realms of man... one way or another."

She strolled about the little courtyard. "Whereas you, Master - you lead a life worthy of the Old One himself, with no material attachments to hinder your development, and no worldly concerns to distract from your focus."

That wicked little smile crossed her lips again. "Until now, of course. Perhaps this is all a plot of Sima Yuan's, to waste your time with a silly little girl and make sure you never attain the heights."

Ma Sheng laughed lightly at Ouyang Xue's vivacious words, although his tone sounded more humoring than genuinely amused. "I doubt Brother Yuan places that much thought on this old man," he said mildly, and despite the closeness with which he addressed Sima Yuan, there was no true affection in his voice for the other man. They might have been true brothers once, but more than the passage of time had worn away the relationship between the two. Ma Sheng was well aware of what lay in Sima Yuan's heart.

As for the rest of her words, he didn't deny them. After all, they were mostly true, if a bit exaggerated. The outside world was full of dangers and challenges and complications, but Ma Sheng was not at a point in his cultivation where he needed those challenges to push himself forward. Instead, all he needed was a quiet place to reflect, and time. The Quanzhen Sect provided that perfectly, and since Ma Sheng had not asked for any of their materials or resources, it had been no problem for Sima Yuan to hide him in a small, empty corner of the sect in exchange for a life debt he might have long forgotten.

"Either way, you are here now." Even for someone who might peer at the possibilities of the future, there was no point in wondering at the what if's of the past. Whatever opportunities it might represent were already long gone, and Ma Sheng paid no further attention to such thoughts. "Come. I cleaned a room for you. Have you eaten yet?"

Ouyang Xue turned back to Ma Sheng, the mischief in her smile showing a little genuine warmth.

"Thank you, Master," she said. "Please don't go to any trouble for me. It's a disciple's duty to take care of the household chores. Allow me to abuse your tastebuds with some coarse tea and bland rice."

With that, she swept into Ma Sheng's house as if it had been her childhood home, and to the open backyard where all the food preparation was done.

"Please wait a little while, Master, while I prepare a plain repast for you."