Sweet Dreams

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I'd be more likely to run than to kill you," Alexander answered. "I don't actually like killing people (it goes along with not liking guns) so I avoid it when I can. You see, after having led a vampire army for as many centuries as I did, it's easy for killing to lose its attractiveness. But, we'll see. I may have use for you yet." Alexander chuckled weakly before he jumped out of the back of the truck and, despite staggering a little, made a rather hasty retreat into the foliage.

Once Alexander was safely out of sight, he scrounged up what sustenance he could find. At first it was just small animals that wandered into his path, a rabbit here or a squirrel there. Once he'd caught enough, he was able to heal the wound in his wrist. No longer bleeding, he was able to recover much more quickly and he took down more animals and bigger animals as well.

As his senses sharpened, Alexander became aware that he was not alone in the woods. There was another vampire nearby. Warily, he made his way back towards the humans. It was likely that this new vampire was not the sort he could make friends with.

He found the other vampire just out of sight as he reached the road. The vampire immediately turned as he approached and showed its fangs. Alexander returned the gesture as additional proof that he was not human because the vampire could undoubtedly sense the vampire blood in his veins.

"Vampire?" he asked, making triply sure.

Alexander nodded.

"Ally?"

"Yes."

"Did you see those filthy humans and their joke of an army marching through our lands?"

"Maybe. What's your name soldier?"

"De Groot," the vampire answered. "Pieter De Groot."

"My name is Alexander. How long have you been a vampire, Pieter De Groot?"

"What does it matter?"

"It doesn't. I was just curious."

"I can't rememb— Wait, who are you, anyway?"

"Like I said, I am Alexander."

"Yes, but what is your surname? What is your rank? Division? You're not wearing a uniform. You're not a rogue, are you?"

"That is a stupid question, so I won't bother to answer. I only wish that I could bring your body back to your mother so that she can have some peace in knowing what happened to her son who vanished a few years ago."

"What?" That was all that Pieter had time to ask before Alexander grabbed the back of his neck and he was paralysed. The action of paralysing the vampire drained the little strength he had regained, so he worked quickly.

First, he scanned the vampire's mind for any useful information. There wasn't much. Pieter was one of those poor, unfortunate vampires whose had been created to be a killing machine with no need for secret intelligence. He was the kind of vampire where the greatest kindness would be to kill him, but before that he had something Alexander needed. Alexander leaned around the vampire and sunk his fangs into the vampire's neck.

Vampire blood was strong, much stronger than human blood. It was so strong that too much would make a vampire sick and it couldn't be used as a regular source of food. It still had its uses, however. In days of peace, a vampire sharing blood was a very intimate and romantic act. In days of war, however, it could be used to bring a vampire back from the brink of death. That was why it was so important to make sure enemy vampires were incapable of drinking blood.

When he was finished, Alexander dropped the vampire and wiped the blood from his mouth. "Thank you, Pieter. I feel like my old self again." Pieter had collapsed to the ground, still paralysed. Alexander stared at the fallen vampire for a long moment, then removed his shirt and replaced it with Pieter's, which was a little too big for him but in much better condition than his own which was old and fragile. He remained for a moment longer, considering what he would do next, now that he had regained his strength entirely, then returned to the truck bearing the paralysed vampire.

"I brought you a gift, Captain," he said, "as an act of good faith. He isn't dead but he can't hurt you. I advise you to take whatever you need off him before I kill him because it will all be a bloody mess then."

When her fellow soldiers opened the doors, Maya had to stand her ground to keep them distracted. She ordered them to check on the engine, allowing Alexander the chance to run out. She made after him slowly to keep track of him what little she could and to appear to be vacating her bladder in the woods. From a few trees in she could keep an eye on her recruits as well, yet remain unseen. The waiting was the worst part, after a drink and a pee, as short as it may have actually been.

During that break she considered what it meant, helping this guy. Some could see it as treason, but ultimately she was keeping the subject safe during transport. The dust of his bones would be worthless, but any advancements for defense or direct attack could prove benefitial to her people. But what was truly benefitial to mankind? Thoughts of how this war could possibly end rolled over in her mind. Would they really allow themselves to be wiped out of existence, or worse, enslaved for eternal generations? As her mind churned, she chewed her thumbnail, an old habit she thought she'd done away with. After she spat, she brooded. The only conclusion she found was a need for change; for what, she didn't know.

{...}

When Alexander approached her holding a vampire, her eyes widened.

"What kind of peace offering is a body?" It was mostly a retort, and she set to checking his pockets for anything useful. Nothing really, but she noticed the exchange of clothing. She wondered if any others were nearby, shifting her eyes around a bit. When she refocussed her attention she tried to plan ahead.

"You getting back on that truck?" She had a few brewing ideas, but they had to act fast before that conversation could happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.