Sweet Dreams are Made of This

Status
Not open for further replies.
((I think we're good. ^^ I kinda like the idea of neither one of them really being great with the other's language to start off with.
I'll put an IC reply up momentarily.))

She snorted slightly, shaking her head. "You are being male and Mensch, yet you are acting the woman and the Ailv," Teyacapan pointed out, mildly amused. "But, if you are being eagle wishing for flying with the wyvern, who would I being say no?" With a shrug of her shoulders, she took the document, her lavender eyes scanning it over. It was a contract drawn up between the mighty empire of old and a human kingdom, in comparison, considerably smaller. Getting the same terms out of him that the Empresses of old had held was more than she expected him to offer, though less than she might have preferred.
It was in her nature to argue... but a quick look at Necalli revealed that she would be fool indeed to reject the offer. Finally, she smiled and dipped her head to Deveak, as much a sign of respect as he was likely to get. "The Ailv sa Drow are being agree with the parchment. Necalli will be making new copy and I will be signing. A deal is being well done," the young sovereign declared, glancing around at the people she had brought with her. Some seemed displeased that she had settled for the old terms, others looked pleased she had been able to get such good ones. Huitzil, the implacable general, seemed to have a slight smirk. A good sign, Teya hoped. Or else a very bad one.

He smiled at her as she talked "Being a leader means being everything your nation requires of you" he took the contract back into his hands "No-one shall draw up nothing... this contract has been here for more than we can remember, as our ancestors signed it we shall sign it again." he took out the contract and began reading "This contract states that these two nations shall be allied together to form a strong bond between them, they will share their troubles and their joys, their problems and solutions, their strengths and weakness while building a new and better bond between them that will make them equally powerful." he paused there and smiled "Hmm... something is missing here. Ah, yes... it never said that we should join by marriage." he then turned to look at her "Tell me Empress, are we still going to proceed with that? I will be more than happy to proceed with it, how about you?" he looked at her as he held the contract in hand.

Everything one's nation required of them? Mensch had strange ideas of what leadership meant. Teyacapan had known that there would be no small amount of cultureshock, but the humans were even more dissimilar than she had been expecting. At least he wasn't too clever- the marriage was where she had every intent of gaining power. Drow marriage laws were heavily weighted towards the woman, enough that even if she gave him many concessions she would still have strands of her web woven through his life.
"It was being the cause of much arguing," She told him, rubbing her forehead with her fingertips. "Much headache making. The priestesses, they are saying that no human is ever being married before the Goddess Triumvirate. An abomination, they are saying. Impossible, they are saying. But I was saying no, it will be happening. This Mensch is being a key to the world, and this marriage is being key to success of Ailv sa Drow. And it was much arguing, I am telling you. But I am getting them to agree. One Mensch, they saying. One mensch may be marrying in the Deep Cathedral, if he is being king and sovereign and marrying the empress. A great honor it is being for us both. A Drow marriage, being like the Drow marriages of old."

He smiled looking at her, he gave the document to his scribe to make the changes and looked at the Empress while crossing his arms "To make the marriage fair and simple, we are going to be wed through unified rules. The Human laws weigh towards the man having more power than the woman, which you and your followers would not like... and the Drow laws weigh towards the woman which would make me and my followers not like it. So to end every kind of quarrel we would have we should do them through unified laws which weigh equally for both the man and the woman." he smiled as he finished saying what he meant to say "I learned something from olden books, I am not a king that rules only by the sword, but the mind as well." he continued to look at her with a smile awaiting her response and looking at the scribe from time to time to check on his progress.

The women with Teyacapan all laughed once their translators told them what had transpired, and one ancient woman with milky eyes stepped forwards, addressing him haughtily, her arms crossed defiantly over her chest. After a moment, her softspoken translator, clearly a younger daughter, stepped forwards with eyes lowered. "Her honorable graciousness the Matriarch of house Cizin, Caitzli Cizin the wise, does wish to respectfully remind his honor the King Deveak of the Mensch, that the Constitution of the Drow Empire specifically states that the only marriage recognized within the Underdark must be one of the Goddess Triumvirate and her Dark Priestesses," The girl reported to him, her voice soft. "Our Dark Lady has many rules for we Drow, gracious king. Her gift carries a price, a price we must pay."
"Her honor is being correct," Teyacapan agreed. "Our Dark Lady of Threes would being greatly displeasing by a Mensch wedding, which is being an ill war-omen. Her blessings are being paid for, not gift freely giving."

Status
Not open for further replies.