Superstitions

I'm not superstitious, bar one thing that I follow religiously - I do not open umbrellas indoors. Not even to dry them off before putting them in a closet; I'll hand them to someone else and ask them to open it. I have no idea why I'm like this - nobody I know follows that superstition, and I'm not sure what the effect of doing it is supposed to be - but I just refuse to open them indoors.

I'm not superstitious, bar one thing that I follow religiously - I do not open umbrellas indoors. Not even to dry them off before putting them in a closet; I'll hand them to someone else and ask them to open it. I have no idea why I'm like this - nobody I know follows that superstition, and I'm not sure what the effect of doing it is supposed to be - but I just refuse to open them indoors.

Well, if you've just been outdoors in the rain, opening your umbrella indoors will just fling water all about. And conversely, if you open an umbrella indoors before you go out, well, an open umbrella doesn't fit very well through a door.

Well, if you've just been outdoors in the rain, opening your umbrella indoors will just fling water all about. And conversely, if you open an umbrella indoors before you go out, well, an open umbrella doesn't fit very well through a door.

Yeah, but there are the odd cases, like when you need to dry out an umbrella while it's raining before you put it away, so as to prevent mold and stuff. In those cases, I will talk someone else into doing it.

Yeah, but there are the odd cases, like when you need to dry out an umbrella while it's raining before you put it away, so as to prevent mold and stuff. In those cases, I will talk someone else into doing it.

Yes, there is that. I've always just shaken the water off before entering. Never had a moldy umbrella. But... point taken. Like many superstitions, though, there is usually a practical reason. Or at least a reason that lead to the superstition in the first place. Some cultures may just consider opening an umbrella indoors... rude.

Oh, found this:

Why are people afraid to open an umbrella indoors?

Reactions: Shiki