Super Mahou Wars Alpha

It's not an alternate effect though. It's an addition to an array (which basically means it's a collection of powers that can't be used at the same time).

This modifier allows you to "swap-out" the effect for an entire other, alternate, effect! For example, a Damage effect with the descriptor of "laser" might have a visual Dazzle as an Alternate Effect: the same light beam can be used to damage or blind a target, just not both at once. Think of Alternate Effects as different "settings" for a power. (For combinations of effects that work simultaneously, see the Linkedmodifier in this section.) A set of Alternate Effects is called an array.

From the site itself.

An array is just a collection of alternate powers without a main power.

Fire bending would be an array for example. Fire blast with alternate powers that involve pyromancy is almost the same.

Basically an array would contain the latter under a "title" of sorts. So under the Fire Bending array the character would have Fire Blast and its alternate powers.

Oh right, one major difference. Array and device have the removable trait that reduces the cost by 1 or 2 every 5 points. I think it might be possible to take a drawback that for powers, but can't be certain since I'm on my phone.

Like how Blast and damage + increased range are really the same thing.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Asuras
Quick example character up in my second post on the first page, to show a few things. Formatting's probably kinda crap, but nothing's perfect. I do like using tabs for a lot of alternate powers, though. One can probably do really nice power write-ups using more tables. The only fancy thing I demonstrate is the Easily Removable power modifier (which is pretty much exactly how one makes something like Raising Heart or Bardiche, or any other magic weapon), and using an array of alternate powers to save points on attacks you'd only use one at a time anyway. But, hey, now there's another thing to crib from.

So then, if it is an alternate power...? Isn't there nothing wrong with it? I abided by the rules with arrays so...

Alright so I must ask, if I have 12 points remaining (Should my math be correct) Would that amount to enough to purchase my magical ability powers?

Also what are we doing in concerns to gear?

So then, if it is an alternate power...? Isn't there nothing wrong with it? I abided by the rules with arrays so...
Yep. It's fine.

Alright so I must ask, if I have 12 points remaining (Should my math be correct) Would that amount to enough to purchase my magical ability powers?

Also what are we doing in concerns to gear?
That would depend on what sort of gear you mean. You an get mundane gear, weapons, etc. from the Equipment advantage. There's a big pile of Equipment somewhere, and it's where one can look to find things like mundane swords, guns, armor, vehicles, etc. Any fancier gear would probably be a device power (which is essentially one or more powers with the Removable or Easily Removable negative modifiers). I'm otherwise pretty permissive when it comes to just claiming you own stuff, outside of those specific cases.

12 points isn't very much for powers, but we can probably work something out. It may be a good idea to toss me a PM with your ideas, and I'll see what I can put together. I may also be able to suggest other ways to save points here and there and free up more for powers, should we need to.

Alright, well I'll just dig through the pile then. While an older officer, Katrina is not one to question what the military has to provide.

I am not done yet either so no worries! Though ERode tends to push people around >:[

I've read the combat stuff but there's a lot of jargon used.
If you need help wading through the jargon or otherwise figuring things out, I'm happy to discuss things here or in a PM. The learning curve can be a bit steep, which is why I had to take a while to decide on actually running with a system.

Double-posting, but I'm going to bring some general character commentary on sheets so far.

@Zombehs The actual statblock is pretty solid, although it's missing the rest of the character to go with it. The Fades modifiers on the ranged alternate powers are a bit strange to me, so I'm curious as to what you were going for with those (notably as there's an easy alternative for limited ammo). I can suggest some alternatives, depending on how you wanted things to work. I'm also not quite sure how to best handle fractional Regeneration, so I'd prefer it if it were maybe just at 5 so it's every other round. Otherwise, it'd be something like 4 out of every 5 rounds, or...something. I'd also recommend adding a few Complications, for free story candy.

@Asuras I think you've got a lot more accuracy stacked on than you'd need. A rank 8 Damage effect can at best have a +8 to attacks with it, so you've overspent on Ranged Combat by quite a lot, especially if Spitestrike keeps its accurate modifier. I'd also suggest making a note that Ekoe's Wrath is an easily removable item, if it is such. It's just useful as a reminder. Buying things down to be within trade-offs would probably free up some points to play with, which is good.

I'm also not sure if Sparkfield will work as intended based on the way it's described. Alternate effects are one or the other. If it's a linked Reaction damage effect, then it'd hit anyone who touches you, but if it is, indeed, an alternate one, you can either have the toughness or the damage, but not both. Switching is only once a round, I think. For that matter, if it's just an unmodified Damage effect, it needs to be actively used, and will not automatically affect anyone who touches you.

Double-posting, but I'm going to bring some general character commentary on sheets so far.

@Zombehs The actual statblock is pretty solid, although it's missing the rest of the character to go with it. The Fades modifiers on the ranged alternate powers are a bit strange to me, so I'm curious as to what you were going for with those (notably as there's an easy alternative for limited ammo). I can suggest some alternatives, depending on how you wanted things to work. I'm also not quite sure how to best handle fractional Regeneration, so I'd prefer it if it were maybe just at 5 so it's every other round. Otherwise, it'd be something like 4 out of every 5 rounds, or...something. I'd also recommend adding a few Complications, for free story candy.

Yeah, still working on the actual character part. But sure I'll go adjust Regeneration to 10. And limited ammunition would work better I suppose.

Well, it's fine either way. Fades means it's reduced in rank each use, limited ammo means it's the same effectiveness until it runs out. And presumably either way, once the alternate's unavailable, you're just down to the main powers. I'm sure the actual fluff for the abilities will help explain how stuff works.

Interested, reading the SRD now.

By the way, we need artillery, unless you really want a melee team that's carried by my character's AOE buffs.
I mean, I'm entirely okay with that.

I am here do not worry fellow friends~ *grins and sits down making herself comfortable*

I am going to need so much help with the points system to be honest........

That's fine. I can help with things pretty easily, although I'm not always available, so PMs are the best way to get at me.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person