Super Mahou Wars Alpha

That's why I had considered moving it down to 5 rounds, causing the character to become fatigued for 10 rounds afterward, and increasing the - to defense, to -5

@Bismarck I have no idea where you're getting all this, but from what I've seen, we're just using whatever is in that link in the first post of the OOC.

@Iallcsz Yeah, there's a fuck ton of stats, but luckily, it's not that hard if you have someone explain it to you. I'm willing to help you out with it, sorta.

Can the first post now considered to be complete or will you add more fluff/information?

I may well continue to add to the first post, at least as far as slapping some pretty pictures in there at some point. If there's any important information I've forgotten, I'll probably add it in there, as well. And that second post of mine will probably be edited with more useful things when I can get around to it.

There are definitely some major changes between 2nd and 3rd edition, although some aren't as major as they first appear. Some are, however, so not everything would be conveniently compatible. I am willing to port some stuff over, though, as some power effects from 2nd are either missing in 3rd, or would need to be rebuilt from the ground up.

This is gonna be hell to fill out on a tablet. Placeholder.

@Bismarck Rage won't work, I think. In regards to raw stats, you're limited by power level. The current power level is 8, meaning that your raw stat can ONLY go up to 8. Seeing how you've already reached the cap...that +6 STR you get from Rage is going to do nothing.

Also, a +6 stat buff is OP in and of itself, seeing how that'd mean that your character can become a god simply by attaining STR 14 and then raging. XD

Dark red and black font is cancer. For the love of god, change it.

Don't know what R-9 would think of your character being so damn old, because that means you have an experienced officer-type character who is just as strong as an entry-level trainee....

In regards to Defenses, can you do something like...
Parry: (Fighting Att) + 1
Instead? It'd make things easier, imo.

How did you reach 8 for Toughness? It scales off STA, and you can't add points to it, unlike the other things.

From what I've experienced, Expertise is the flexible skill. There is already something called 'Close Combat' as a skill. I'd imagine that, in the case of your character, that'd be 'Close Combat - Swords'?

Flight isn't a skill. It's a Power.

In regards to your powers, use the site provided in the OOC's first post. There's a Powers section that has a list of effects. That's what we use for costing and stuff. It'd be nice if you showed off your calculations using those things. Note that to make something AOE, when it normally isn't, adds another point/rank for the cost.

From a purely thematic point of view, Sephira Knights don't have anything like Inspire or Demoralize. That's what the support-buffers manage, while they focus on single-target, every-man-for-himself buffs. It's really just me telling you to back the fuck off from my own archetype though. XD

R-9 will probably have some other things to say, but yeah. There you go.

@Wolfsbane706 If you have any questions, shoot them at me, Zombehs (because he downloaded that spoonfeeding device) or R-9. It IS hell to fill out though, but fun in a hellish way.

Last edited:
Yeah. M&M character creation is beastly. The good news is pretty much all this hell is front-loaded. Once you have a character, playing the game is relatively straightforward.

On Rage: it and Fearless are cases of effects that might be cheaper as feats than they should be as powers. Fearless is, however, Immunity to Fear effects, which can be acquired with powers. Rage's buffs need to be translated into 3rd edition terms to make proper sense, in which case, the answer is to halve them all. It's still pretty impressive, but much more reasonable. I could probably run the numbers to find the equivalent effect in 3e.

Nothing uses actual dice for damage in M&M, it's all just ranks of damage which go into a toughness save DC.

Eh, as it is at the moment, it comes to 8PP, but that's without the debuff afterwards since I can't seem to find an equivalent to add to a Power.

• qJ6aRVL.jpg

Name: Nera Vercin
    Personality:

Magic:

Complications:
    Motivation || Doing Good -

• Attributes
    STR AGL FGT AWE STA DEX INT PRE
    8 3 6 0 8 2 0 0
    PP Spent: 54

Initiative: +3

Defenses
    Dodge Parry Fortitude Toughness Will
    6 6 8 8 4
    PP Spent: 7

Skills
    Athletics Close Combat (Unarmed, Grab) Ranged Combat (Heavy Weapons) Stealth
    +8 +6 +9 +3
    *Skills not shown have a +0 bonus
    PP Spent: 4

Advantages:
    • All-out Attack
    • Chokehold
    • Close-Attack (2)
    • Fast Grab
    • Takedown
    • Weapon Break
    PP Spent: 7

Powers:

Mask of the Undying - Immortality 5
    Removable (Indestructible), Return after 1 day
    PP Spent: 9

Predator Wing - Flight 4
    Speed: 30 m/hr, 500 ft/round; Wings
    PP Spent: 4

Unholy Skin - Impervious Toughness 8

Thaumaturgy - Linked Effect
    Damage 2: Strength-based | DC 25
    Healing 10: Range: 250/500/1000 ft; Increased Range: Ranged; Source: Damage
    PP Spent: 22

Powers Total PP Spent: 48

Last edited by a moderator:
@Asuras The Damage effect is a close-combat thing. The Ranged effect is what you should be using for Spritestrike and Cosmic Bolt, which costs 2 points per rank. Also, adding in an AOE effect for Cosmic Bolt (what I assume you're going for), would mean another extra point per rank for it.

And that abbreviation for Fighting is hilarious. XD

Uhh...? Blast is a ranged damage effect (Blast power). And I used the Hero Lab thing so the AoE thing calculated what points it should be, and that's how many many it was. :\

I used Hero Lab entirely, so I'm pretty sure I haven't done anything wrong otherwise it'd tell me.

If you used a Blast Effect, why did you put Damage there? Might want to insert your ranks for Blast, instead of ranks for Damage then.

Blast isn't an effect. It's a placeholder for an effect that is damage with increased range. You select "Blast" from the power list, and it creates a Damage effect power with Increased Range put into it.

A few comments. I'm not sure if the Sparkfield is set up properly. The alternate effect means it can only do the damage or add to Toughness. Not both. To actually get both effects, it would need to be a set of Linked effects, rather than alternate effects. Damaging anyone that touches you is Reaction-action damage, which costs 4 points per rank.

I'm also not sure on some of the costs for things myself, unless you applied partial modifiers. Assuming the Range and Area go all the way to 10 on Ekoe's Wrath, it's definitely a power that at base costs 32 points. If the Array it's in is using the "Array" option in Hero lab and is easily removable, it only costs 20 points total. And would be some sort of weapon or staff thing that an be easily disarmed from your person.

I should probably add a request to list the specifics or at least total cost on powers somewhere, for ease of following up on this stuff. I don't doubt Herolab, I think the specifics of what's going on are missing, is all. I should really make that sample character.

Cosmic Bolt indeed costs 32 points as HeroLab says, but the Spritestrike (while technically 19 points) is for some reason said to be only 1 point while inside the Ekeoe's Wrath Array (for a total of 33 points to the array).

So lost, I just got back from a long day at work...I'ma go adjust rage a little bit then, to something of half it's power. As for Fearless, I'd like to maintain it as a feat, unless you want to change it. It's a feat in Third, and second edition as far as I can tell.

@Asuras
Inside the Ekeoe's Wrath array, I'm assuming that Spritestrike is the alternate effect, meaning that it only takes 1 point, and scales off the amount of points that Cosmic Strike consists of.

So, for a simple example...

Damage Rank 16 (16 points)

If you tack on an Alternate Effect, it'd cost 1 point, and you can treat it as if it had 16 points invested in it.

So, it could be Ranged Rank 8 (16 points).

And it's set up as...

Damage Rank 16
Alternate Effect: Ranged Rank 8

Total Cost: 17 points

Also, I'm getting the 'effects' from the link in the OOC. Hero Lab apparently uses something else?

@Bismarck
Your waifu is at STR 8, right? That's the absolute limit of STR she can achieve, barring buffs that come from Powers. Meaning that Rage doesn't do anything for her at all, because the +3 STR bonus you get from the Advantage doesn't allow her to exceed the Power Level limitations.

I just adjusted her down to a flat 5, and the rage bonus to +3. So she can gain her max strength, when in a rage. Also, to explain why my character is as strong as a new recruit, is because in reality, she hasn't even fought frontline for years now. She's dull, there's not much to be said for her beyond that. I mean, she can still fight, but, she's rusty. She needs work.

It's not an alternate effect though. It's an addition to an array (which basically means it's a collection of powers that can't be used at the same time).