Summer's Dream

"No, seriously, a hello, a wave? Something?" He breathed a sigh, "Stuck-up, elitist pricks." Mockingly, Mitch began to have a conversation with himself, "Oh no! We're sorry, Mitch, we didn't mean to leave you behind," he said in a softer voice than usual.

Responding to himself in his regular voice, "It's quite alright, as you can see, I'm completely fine."

"That's good! I would hate for something bad to happen to my fellow human beings, it would be hard for us to get ahead in this strange, foreign world without someone will to protect us!"

"Never fear, for I, Mitch, will defend you who have shown empathy for my plight with my mighty Sword of Justice!" He rose the stick in the air, finally sighing, ending his mocking tyrade by placing the stick on his shoulder, following close by everyone. Oblivious to whatever happened behind them, he merely walked along. "...So... really. No explanation for me? Just... 'hey, roll with it'? I can do that." The greasy man shrugged, walking ahead in a determined manner, swaggering slightly.

Katherine calmly followed a small distance behind Nightie as the others followed. Katherine noticed the difficulty there was in going through the right path, having to force her steps through the muddy soil and slightly slowing her down. After some time though, the ground became solid as they saw a rather dark lake, whose waters violently churned. Katherine tried to pay no attention to the victims behind her, for they were now gone and she had to live with that. Suddenly, Katherine's attention turned to the sign that read 'Palace'. Nightie nervously began to speak as Katherine simply nodded.

"Well, we could get some answers from somebody if we head to the palace. Furthermore, it would seem that turning back is not the most attractive option at the moment," Katherine eyed the path that they had just taken suspiciously as she talked to Nightie.

Elsa sighed as she followed the others down the right path, nobody even considering her suggestion but it wasn't wise to separate it seemed, especially from Nightie, who seemed to be the only one who had any clue about what was going on. And that was reason enough for Elsa to follow her. Elsa was completely oblivious to the winking eyes or the hushed voices around them as she stepped down onto the path.

"UUUUGH!" Elsa cried out as they began stepping through the mud, "THIS IS SOOOOOOO NOT OKAY! THESE BOOTS WERE NEW!" Elsa pouted as they continued to force their way through the thick mud. From somewhere behind them Elsa heard a scream and looked back to see her other classmates brutally violated by strange tentacled kappas. Elsa screamed and turned away, covering her eyes but continuing forward finally hearing the newer guy beginning to talk to himself.

"Um, okay, like sorry we didn't say hi, but please don't respond to me, you're greasy and your clothing could use a TOTAL update and the way you were talking to yourself makes me think you're like...schizo or whatever..." She sighed, stepping around him as they came up upon a small lake. Or is it like a pond or something? We might have to swim I guess... Elsa sighed, looking at the ragtag group that had grown even smaller. "Well Nightingale, lead the way, just standing around is tres unchic..."

Joseph marched on with the rest of the group, lots of loud squelching noises echoing into the forest as their feet fought against the mud. The lights that peered out from the darkness of the trees that surrounded them made whispering sounds to each other, though none of it was recognizable, either from being a different language, or being too soft spoken to understand. It was probably a combination of both.

As Joseph walked on, he saw Nightie turn around and did the same, becoming frozen with fear as he saw two creatures emerge from the forest, like some sort of tentacle fantasy gone wrong. He gulped, his nerves fried at the scene that he had just witnesses, his body now shaking. "L-Listen.... we all need to stick together... I think th-that's proof of that." He looked at the sign indicating that they were heading in the direction of the Palace. "M-maybe someone there can tell us what the hell is going on...."

Vincent watched as most of his companions chose the path to the right. Can't blame them though, for the path to the left, the one he chose, was so dark and appeared ominous.

"I have an awful feeling about this... And don't blame me if we end up being swallowed whole by those glaring lights." Vincent grumbled as he left the fork to follow the others.

Vincent tried to make sense of what he's treading upon while trying not to be blinded by the glare of the lights and their reflection in his eyeglasses. It was hard, however, and before he knew it, the others sped up and left him catching up alone.

The squelching sounds around him made Vincent sick to the stomach, making him want to go back to the fork and take the path to the left. But then again, he thought of the distance he had already walked and sighed.

To keep himself from being driven insane, he thought of humming a melody. The forest around him warped that melody into something sinister though, and the same melody that Vincent thought would save him from insanity was now the melody driving him ever closer to it.

"FUCK YOU!!" Vincent tried to shout but no sound came out. Frustrated, he dashed foward, unminding of his surroundings. He ran so fast he couldn't have noticed the voices of his companions.

When he turned back, the sight of the creatures tearing some of his companions literally apart made him close his eyes and sprint forward.

"I will fucking kill whoever put something into my drink and made me dream this dream!!"

[size=-2]
Nightie led on, as though in a trance, her mind a blur of emotion as she walked down the shadowy path. There was little of interest, until she noted that her surroundings were getting brighter. The trees slowly began to spread out, as though something were holding them back from intertwining like the trees just feet behind them. The sparkles had caused her no problems, the entire way, and they were fewer with each step, but Nightie was glad for this since she trusted them little if at all. Ahead of her, Nightie thought she caught a glimpse of honey colored fur and didn't know whether or not she hoped it was Faber.

Coughing a little, Nightie took a deep breath of air touched by the brilliant sunshine the ragtag grouped strode into slowly, shielding their eyes. A dark form emerged from the light, like a messiah leading a lost people, except that there was no willingness to follow. Nightie held her arms defensively as forms twisted in the blinding light, laughing lightly as they blurred and redefined. "Who goes there?" she demanded, more steadily than she thought she could muster. The light began to dim and the group could see a little better.

"I should ask that of you, who intrude upon my palace..."
[/size]

Elsa followed Nightie along the dark path, stomping so the mud caked on her boots would fall off. The rest of the group already looked exhausted and they couldn't have been there for more then an hour at most, but in this world who knew how quickly or slowly time passed. As soon as the group stepped out into the bright sunlight Elsa cringed and instantly went into her purse, fishing out her big sunglasses and put them on, her eyes still adjusting in the bright light when the voice spoke.

"Oh my gawds it's the Red Queen of Hearts!" Elsa cried out, totally not knowing what she was looking at yet.

Katherine followed Nightie and the others down the shadowy path. She didn't know what was coming up next, and she was actually somewhat afraid now considering the close calls that have come and gone. Katherine was starting to get quite tired along with the rest of the group (with the notable exception of Elsa). Katherine's tired eyes watched as the bold young lady stomped her boots would be mud-free. Jeez, how does she have the energy to be stomping like that? Katherine wondered as suddenly, a bright light nearly blinded Katherine.

Katherine found the light sudden and defensively threw her hands over her eyes. After waiting for a few seconds, the light dimmed enough for her to see shapes shifting and redefining themselves, leaving her confused and even more scared. And then suddenly, it seemed to speak, making her want to back off and run in the other direction. Unfortunately, it was too late for that as Katherine gathered herself after Elsa's exclamation. For all we know, it could just be a bluff; I guess we'll have to wait and see, Katherine reassured herself as her face became cold and intimidating once more.

They arrived at what was some sort of opening, though its contents were a mystery, as walking in was that of having a staring contest with the sun. Joseph's eyes watered, blinking as he wiped away the tears, though only time could heal his temporary blindness. He heard Nightie ask who was there, her seeing something that Joseph could not. The being that shared the room retorted with an "I believe that's my line", claiming that they had entered their palace.

Joseph, realizing that this person, or creature as was the fad as of late, could help inform him and the others of their location. Stepping forward, or at least towards the voice, he bent to a knee, saying if not a bit loudly, "Please excuse us, we were led here by Faber the Chimera. We are but lost travelers searching for our paths home." Now he waited either for a suitable answer, a confusing one, or death, either swift or slow in nature.

[size=-2]
The light dissipated and before the group stood a man, or at least at first glimpse they assumed he was a man. He was, at any rate, too perfect to be a man, they would agree. He was a beautifully sculpted man, tan in a way that was healthy and still seemed to glow. Six feet tall, approximately, with short blond hair and wide orange eyes. He would have been attractive, every woman in the group could feel the pull, yet there was something stopping them. Something wasn't right about him.

When the group managed to pull their eyes from his perfect form, they noticed that he was clad in breeches of what strangely resembled lion pelt. Beside him, sitting on the ground with a smug expression on his face, was Faber. The group seemed to have emerged into an antechamber of sorts, partitioned off by vines obscuring the view behind the man.

"I am the king of this castle, and since you all seem so lost I will this once forgive the intrusion and allow you to stay in spare chambers, travelers. You are in the realm of summer, and it would befit you all to remember that it is the king of the season you owe your loyalty to. You may call me King Verë. Through these vines, you will see my castle. I will have Faber lead you to your rooms. You are very lucky this is a slow time for us with visitors. Try not to get in the way of my wife and if you happen to, don't make idle chitchat with her. She is in a foul temper this morning". With that, the king shone from his skin, as though light within him were straining to escape. Another blinding flash and he was gone.

Nightie looked around, confused and a little afraid. "Faber?" but the lion had taken off, focused on his mission of leading them. As he parted the vines, a sight of wonder crossed their vision and Nightie gasped. A castle not too far ahead was constructed, but its wonder was that it seemed to be crafted entirely of glowing gold. The sunlight danced off the walls and somehow did not blind them. Fields of corn stretched back from the castle, adding their gold to the surroundings to overpower all other colors.
[/size]

Katherine looked in awe at the man that stood before them. His form was almost surreal, too perfect for words. However, there was something she could not put her finger on that pushed her away from the man as he spoke. Shortly afterward, Katherine turned her attention to the gleaming castle that stood before them. She could not help but stare at the immaculate building as the sunlight made the palace all the more luminous. Hmm, I guess we'll be fine. We should just stay away from the Queen and we'll be fine, Katherine reassured herself as she turned to Nightie briefly, wondering if she was overwhelmed by the sight before them.

Liz was in awe herself, she twas traveling with the others but was quiet, she was scared for some reason, and the reassurance from the king made her happy, she felt he almost had a warm heart. Her blue eye's closed, and a smile grew on her face, "Thank you. Thank you so very much!", She smiled, curled one of her black strain's on hair around her finger, maybe this adventure would be a good one. But that was all Liz had hoped for, for only once.

Elsa blinked idly as the light dimmed, making things even darker behind her sunglasses. The king stood before them, with Faber at his side. She knew that he couldn't see her eyes and that was exactly what she wanted. For some reason the king was almost hot, he was so close if he'd change maybe one detail. Ugh, I totally think it's those eyes. They're all freaky and stuff. But he's offering a room eh? Well like, that's totally cool. She shrugged and followed the others towards the rooms as the king vanished in a bright flash of light. It seemed Faber had left as well.

"So uh, let's go find our rooms. Maybe we should all stay together in one room for like safety or whatever." Elsa shrugged, walking ahead of the rest of them. She pitied them, they all looked bedraggled and worn out meanwhile Elsa was still full of energy. Wide awake she walked next to Nightie. "Hey, you okay girl?" She smiled warmly, tilting her sunglasses down to take a look at her.

[size=-2]
Nightie smiled wanly at the girl beside her who still looked so peppy and carefree, it was almost disturbing. "I'm all right, really, thank you very much" she said with a small nod of her head as if to reassure herself as well. Faber did not stop, he continued a gentle loping through the parched grasses surrounding the castle. There was a smell of pit fires and roasting corn in the air, the breeze hot and dry over their skin as the sky hung overhead made them feel as though they too were being slowly cooked to perfection. Nightie mused idly if this was what had happened to the king.

The nearer Nightie drew to the palace, the more her eyes adjusted. Even so, as they approached the entrance gate, the gold brick shone like a thousand lights in her yes, blinding her momentarily. The heat was oppressive, weighing Nightie down more than a tangible weight. She longed to get inside but feared it would be hardly any better. With Faber's pace, still as fast as before, Nightie was led into the entrance hall of the golden castle.

The entrance hall was thick with heat as well as heavy with the scent of sweet flowers, the first impression Nightie got was of the air being too thick to breathe with the fragrance and the heat. The hall was done not in gold, but in a hazy bronze color with the throne near the back, also in bronze. The walls were bedecked with showy freesias, spilling their perfume to mix with draping vines of wisteria. Here and then, a brilliant pink and white displayed a magnolia blossom whose smell was infusing the others with its unique sweetness. The entire hall was vast, overwhelming, but empty.

"This way" Faber guided gently, leading them to the east wing of the castle. The group had nearly exited the throne room entirely when a rustle behind them made them stop and turn. The woman before them was the image of summer's winsome Beltane bride. Fair hair of cornsilk was plaited at her back, interwoven with primroses. She was clothed in a sleeveless pink dress made of something not quite sheer which hung loosely on her slender frame all the way down to her ankles. A small coronet comprised of freesia and primrose circled her head.

"Oh, visitors!" she squealed in delight. "It's been ever so long since we have had company, I'm afraid my husbands scares away everyone. It's so pleasant to see others here, would you stay a while and keep me company?" she asked, her eyes the blue of cornflowers, wide as she implored them with her gaze. "I've been so lonely locked away in this empty castle.."
Nightie shifted uncomfortably. What was it the king had requested, that they stay away from his queen?
[/size]

Everything would have gone without a hitch if it were not for one little thing. The Queen, greeting them and attempting to make them stay with her. It would be rude not to, but didn't the King tell us to stay away from the Queen? Katherine nervously glanced at Nightie, noting her shift uncomfortably as she looked at the others. I would say something, but it would be quite rude if I just bluntly stated what the King said, wouldn't it? Katherine considered the options that she and the others had. We could tell her straight up that we don't want to have anything to do with her, or we could give in and face the consequences of not following the King's order. Decisions, decisions, Katherine looked away from the Queen, trying to figure out what to say. I hope that somebody will be able to say something before I have to, Katherine continued thinking.

Katherine's thoughts began to become more and more panicked. Paranoid visions of the consequences of her actions seemed to spiral out of control in the back of her mind. Her indecision was eating away at her rapidly, making her feel trapped yet urged to make a decision. Finally deciding to say something, she simply asked a question in an attempt to remind Nightie.

"Weren't we told to stay away from her?" Katherine whispered to Nightie after turning to her.