Summer 2021 Anime: What are you watching?

PavellumPendulum

honey believe me, ill have your heart on a platter
Original poster
DONATING MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. One post per week
  3. Slow As Molasses
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
  3. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Romance, modern, comedy, post-apocalyptic, slice of life.
I don't watch anime as much as I used to, but there have been some cool things put out this year! I just finished watching S2 of Promised Neverland. The vibes were really different from S1 but I still enjoyed it (though I heard that the majority of people who watched it hated it since it was very different from the source material/manga? Oops, I haven't read it yet).

I'm trying to finish the S2 of Dr. Stone now as well as To Your Eternity (which I ADORE by the way, it gives me Violet Evergarden vibes), and next up on my list will probably be Jujutsu Kaisen, since I keep hearing people obsess over it.

What have you been watching this season, or this year? What are you looking forward to? Do you have any recommendations on what to watch or what to stay away from? Let me know :^)

I haven't watched anime in ages, but I've heard good things about Jujutsu Kaisen! Am definitely planning on giving it a watch as soon as I have the time.

Reactions: PavellumPendulum
Does Castlevania count? I've been meaning to watch that for ages. If not, then I'll probably just rewatch Evangelion and contemplate my own existence.

@neptune

Haha, sure! I've never watched either of those myself, but I do think the opening to Evangelion is a classic. I should probably watch it at some point but my watchlist grows every single year, rather than shrinking... (Probably my fault for rewatching Overlord like 8 times LMAO)

All I know about Castlevania is that there's... Vampires? I think there is someone named Alucard. That's about it, pffft.

My friends forced me to watch the first season of Overlord and I liked it but never went back to it. That's my problem, I take forever to watch anything even when I'm into it. And yeah, I think it's vampires. All I know is that Netflix keeps suggesting it to me.

Give Evangelion a go! I can't say it's fun, but it's an experience, lmao.

@neptune

Ah, Overlord is definitely one of my favourite animes. I'm not a big fan of the fanservice, but I really, really enjoy its take on the isekai genre. Plus, the protagonist isn't an idiot, which I find super refreshing, hahaha. I hope you go back and finish it! I think the later seasons are super fun and interesting as well (and the opening for the 3rd season is catchy as hell, it's actually the reason I started watching it in the first place LOL).

I will get to it one of these days! Maybe with a cup of tea, since I'm assuming watching it is going to hurt me...

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: neptune
I recently got sucked into Haikyuu, and I freaking love that show. Besides the (sometimes ridiculous) drama of volleyball, there's plenty of funny moments. Show is hilarious.

Another goodie has been Jujutsu Kaisen. I highly recommend that one. It's got a good mix of everything: great plot, great side characters, a hilarious protagonist and mentor, etc etc. It reminds me of Bleach tbh...

Speaking of which. Bleach 2021 ftw. Bleach fans wya

Reactions: Ardent
Mm, yes Jujutsu Kaisen and Bleach give me the same vibe. I like both very much and can't wait for the 2021 Bleach continuation! It's been a while since I've kept up with anime. I prefer reading manga if I find the time to catch up on the ones I'm devoted to. I'm hoping to pick up the Berserk manga (RIP Kentaro Miura) and finish the anime for attack on titan by the end of summer!

Also, samurai champloo and cowboy bebop have been on my watchlist for a long time.
And I've heard good things about kids on a slope and welcome to the ballroom.

I'll throw out some recommendations cause WHY NOT.
(Psychological): Parasyte, Erased
(Feel good): Barakamon, Chihayafuru

Manga>Anime recs: Promised Neverland, Beastars and Jigokuraku.

I just finished the 12 episodes of Wonder Egg Priority which is a drop-dead gorgeous looking show, fantastic.

Also for some reason no one told me that Chūnibyō is fantastic? Almost finished with it but I've greatly enjoyed it, might be behind My Love Story!! as the 2nd best comedy anime I've watched.

Reactions: Kuno
To Your Eternity. I watched a couple of episodes before I invested in reading the manga.

Re-watching Gurren Lagann cos its the manliest fuckin anime ever (JoJo fans leave).