SUBSPACE - A Tale of Aimless Twenty-Something's and Ninja Powers

Hecatoncheires

un jour je serai de retour près de toi
Original poster
DONATING MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
subspace_logo.jpg

Adulthood isn't what they said it would be.

When we were kids it was easier. That was when we started our band, 'X', me and the crew. Jam in our parents' basements, write god-awful songs (seriously, they were bad), dream of making it big and seeing the world.

Funny how things actually play out, huh?

Now, we had this friend, Adrian. He was our guitarist and lead singer. And goddamn, he was good. Like, really good. Wrote all this music, all these songs, looked into his future and saw music stages, effectively. And for a while, it was all cool. We had a good time with it all.

But then Adrian started pushing, wanting the band to start entering contests and battles, or to record demo tapes and other mad shit. The rest of us... weren't so hot on the idea. We liked just being a bunch of friends who played music together, not taking it too seriously just yet.

So Adrian didn't quite get where we were coming from. Okay, that's an understatement. Let me try again.

Adrian totally flipped his shit and quit the band.

Life continued, Adrian moved away. College happened, we heard Adrian had made it big in New York or something. And now we're kinda just... here.

Trapped in the waiting room between childhood and true adulthood. The world has lost it's innocence and charm, but we've not quite given up on being kids just yet. The compass isn't working anymore, and we've no idea where the hell we're going. Though responsibility beckons, we don't quite see the point.

And just as we're trying to take 'X' more seriously by entering Toronto's biggest 'Battle of the Bands'... Adrian's back in town, and he's looking for revenge.

Good thing we have ninja powers, really.

* * *​

'SUBSPACE' is a game where you play a bunch of young adults realising just how much adulthood sucks... in a world that runs on video game logic.

You play a member (or associate) of a band named 'X' that has entered Toronto's 'Battle of the Bands' competition only to learn that the winner will be playing against the band of one Adrian, their former band-mate who's now their nemesis. Adrian's out to fuck them over in any way he can, but winning the contest leads to making it big in the Toronto scene.

Of course, in a world that runs inexplicably on video game, nothing is ever terribly logical. So expect boss battles, epic showdowns and a lot of weird powers.

And why do I keep referring to the band as 'X'? Because we'll be naming it together, silly.

[size=+2]THE RULES[/size]

– Stick to Iwaku's already existing rules and what-not, guys, or else you'll make Diana cry
– Try and post fairly regularly
– Be ready to beat the GM (that's me) if he starts failing in his commitment
– Make sure everything in-character is utterly bloody EPIC

...and that's about it, really.

* * *​

[size=+2]CHARACTER CREATION[/size]​

Character creation's going to work rather... unusually in this game. As well as creating your character, people joining must also design an antagonist/enemy of the person who posted a character before them. Yes, that's right, you'll be designing your fellow players' nemesis', which should make for some interesting times.

I'll post the main antagonist for my character sheet, and if necessary I'll design the antagonist of the last person to join (though I don't plan on closing apps for this one, so all should be well).

Anyway, here goes.

-

CHARACTER SHEET
Name:
Role in the Band: (What do you play/do/etc.?)
Actual Job: (Delete as applicable)

So what do you look like?
(Post character's appearance; images preferred, as ever the use of anime will result in death by firing squad)

Awesome. And what sort of a person are you?
(Describe your character's personality, please)

Sweet. Now what can you do, exactly?
(What skills and knowledge bases do you have? What are your interests and so on?)

Okay, but what can you REALLY do?
(What bat-shit insane thing can you do for no inexplicable reason? Do you have a cybernetic arm, vegan-induced telekinesis etc.?)

Nice. Tell me a little about your life.
(BACKSTORY, MOFOS.)

ANTAGONIST SHEET
Name:
Occupation/Job/Reason For Existing:

So what do they look like?

Very menacing. And what sort of a person are they?

What are they capable of?

Alright, what are they REALLY capable of?

And what's their reason for being so goddamn evil?

I'll go first, then.

---

Name: Joshua 'Josh' Mosley
Role in the Band: The Guitarist, when necessary the Sound Guy (his room-mate's the Roadie, too)
Actual Job: Computer Technician at Best Buy

charlie_l.jpg

Josh is the smarmy, sarcastic tech guy, and the overlooked guitarist. He's been stuck in this role for years, and it's starting to wear a little thin for him. Despite his status as one of the original members of the band, he still tends to be overlooked or outspoken when it comes to big decisions. As he's not overly super-powered, Josh vents his frustration by generally being a dick to people when he can get away with it. It's not that he's a bad guy, he's just frustrated with his lot in life.

Surprisingly, Josh is actually quite a good guitarist. No, really. I know he's the guitarist of the band, but he's pretty good at what he does. Technology is his particular forte, however; if it has electronic parts, Josh can probably work it, and his time at college means that he's a dab hand at 3D animation and modelling. He serves as the band's sound guy when the need arises, and so has a good knowledge of stage and sound equipment and how to set it up so it doesn't sound hideous. Also, for some strange reason Josh has a love of old aracde games; he actually collects arcade machines and fills his apartment with them. This displeases his room-mate.

Nothing, actually. Josh is totally normal.

He just has a giant robot for a friend.

How exactly he came by such a thing, no-one's entirely sure, and Josh isn't telling. But a big-ass robot he has, named BesTiR. Being a giant robot, BesTiR (or Bes for short) is rather good at lifting and carrying things, and thus serves the band as one of the Roadies when the need arises. He's also capable of dispensing a serious ass-kicking when the need arises, and tends to look out for Josh when violence does ensue.

BesTiR.jpg

One of the original members of 'X', and Adrian's best friend until he fell out with everyone and moved away, Josh has always had a love of technology, computers and video games. He studied graphic design at college, and hoped to move into the movie industry. Yet as he's finding out, it's pretty damn hard to get a start as an animator, meaning he's been forced to find work as part of the "geek squad" at the local Best Buy. He fucking hates his job, and is desperately searching for a chance to get animation work whilst growing increasingly irritated with life.

Name: Adrian Oaksley
Occupation/Job/Reason For Existing: Lead Singer/Guitarist of 'Streets of Rage', general asshole

adrian_oaksley.jpg

Adrian's a guy who's ambition has consumed him so utterly it's quite disturbing to watch; he knows he's talented, and refuses to let anything hold him back. Though charming and suave when he wants to be, he's also a bit of a vindictive prick; he harbours grudges easily and considers 'getting back at people' extremely important.

Song-writing is probably Adrian's greatest talent; his music has garnered him attention from across the world since he made it big in New York. He's also a bloody good guitarist, too. A master of all things social, he knows how to talk to people and make them do what he wants.

Being the big boss, Adrian's a dangerous motherfucker; his greatest power is the ability to make his music shift people's perceptions and feelings. A song he plays can inspire rage in an audience or individual, or move them to tears. When he really puts his mind to it, he can use his music to alter the very reality around him, shifting it to his own ends.

For some reason, he also has a big-ass sword that he's pretty deadly with.

And since he's the last boss, you better believe he's got a final form...

High School friends with the original members of 'X', Adrian was 'The Talent' of the band; he wrote the songs and the lyrics, and really wanted to push the band to new heights. His friends, however, didn't share his enthusiasm; furious, Adrian quit the band and moved out of the country, to New York.

There, he became heavily involved with the punk scene, eventually forming the band 'Streets of Rage' with a girl named Salamandra and a few others. Their band took New York by storm, and in just a few months they were signed and getting tour dates ready.

But Adrian never forgot his former friends and 'X', harbouring a grudge for their perceived betrayal. When he learned that his old band was finally trying to make it big by entering Toronto's 'Battle of the Bands', he saw an opportunity for revenge, and returned home...

CHARACTER SHEET
Name:
Haily McNeil
Role in the Band:
Bassist, and artist for anything they need that needs her drawing and painting skills
Actual Job:
"I work at a candy store in the mall. I'm never quitting."

istockphoto_5148964-girl-with-dreadlocks.jpg
washburn-wb66-trans-red.jpg

Haily only shows her truly affectionate side when someone close to her really needs it. Otherwise, she expresses her love through insults and punches to the arm. She is generally a stoic woman, though has a short temper, and isn't afraid of anybody. There is almost always a lollipop in her mouth; it helped break her smoking habits. Haily maintains a healthy diet of sugar and caffeine in order to stay happy. Despite her cold demeanor, she really does mean well. Haily always has the backs of the ones she loves.

People don't get too excited about bassists, but Haily is pretty damn good at it. She's saving up for a five string because she is confident in being able to kick her skills up a notch. Haily has an Associates Degree in Art, but hasn't really done anything with it. Besides, she enjoys her employment at a candy store called Sugar Shack. Those things aside, she likes to paint. There are stacks of her paintings all over her apartment that she calls garbage, even though they're amazing. Haily hopes that if Deku Nuts becomes a big time band, she can make the album art.

Aside from being a ninja? Everywhere she goes, Haily has a little messenger bag over her shoulder. It contains unlimited amounts of space! The scariest part, is she keeps a giant hammer inside this bag. People have a hard time believing someone of her frail stature can even hold this thing, but she can fight with it pretty handily.

For Haily, surviving high school was more important than her grades. Girls were usually mean to her, boys couldn't keep away from her, and her parents didn't allow her much freedom. Growing up was tough ever since her parents divorced; her Mother refused to take care of her. Her Father remarried a very snobbish lady that Haily didn't get along with. Her Father and Step-Mother gave birth to a baby girl when Haily was eight years old. Both of them hate each other.

Being raised around these people she didn't like calling family is what turned Haily so bitter, and without much love from either of her real parents, she shows her love in odd fashions. The only highlight of her life is the band of her friends, called Deku Nuts. She had a crush on Adrian up until he went crazy and walked out on them. She decided it was just a phase that was better off fading away...
She moved out of her hellish home once she graduated college, living off of grants and her paychecks from her job at Sugar Shack. She's been working there for three years and loves everyday of it because she gets discount candy, plus the people there are always good to her.

If only someone in her family would have been more supportive, she probably could have achieved her dream of being a famed artist. Even though her paintings are uniquely beautiful, she doesn't think they're worth a single dime.

ANTAGONIST SHEET
Name:
Zachary Middleton
Special effects guy for Streets of Rage. The stage would look so boring without him!

Male-in-glasses-400.jpg

Very much a techno geek, and also materialistic. Zach does not take criticism very well, which usually gets violent results if he disagrees with the critic. He sees to it that he gets his way... Even if it means killing someone. The only times Zach smiles is when he makes an achievement of some kind, or is taunting his enemy.

He never loses staring contests. ...okay, aside from that, he's got a gift for building things and fixing things. Zach wants to change the world with his technological skills; he's certain about being able to build flying cars, robots to do all our work and much, much more. All he needs is some funding and some smart people to work with him.

Zach has a robot with superb fighting capabilities, dance skills and the ability to play electric guitar. This robot is named Bandit. Originally, Bandit was a robot that Zach built out of jealousy for Josh's mechanical buddy as well as wanting to better him, even if he didn't know this robot's origin. Bandit and Zach are also, in a way, connected... If one gets destroyed, so does the other. Therefore, both of them watch each others backs unless there's a robot fight going on. At that point, Zach is just fighting for a sum of money or proving how amazing he is.

Zach graduated college with a degree in Mechanical Engineering. Bandit was Zach's very first, very successful creation that he created by his own hands, designed as a plaything until he had a better purpose for it. He challenged Josh's robot to a fight once, to test his robot's abilities. Everything was going great until Bandit ended up getting totally sabotaged... This enraged Zach, especially when BesTir and Josh gloated in front of him. While Zach repaired Bandit, he was visited by someone shady that said Bandit could become invincible if Zach sacrificed part of his soul to the robot. He did so, giving Bandit the ability to display emotion, sort of speak English and share venegeful feelings with Zach. The robot also got more powerful, as promised. The downside is if Bandit gets destroyed again, Zach will die with it.

During his search for Josh, Zach stumbled upon Adrian who is also seeking revenge on Josh, or really, the guy's band altogether. This was too good an opportunity to pass up, especially when he was offered a job in the band, therefore the ability to make money. Zach and Bandit build high-tech machines for the stage when the band is touring, like awesome lights, cool sound machines, and more. Bandit also participates as a guitarist if an additional one is needed, which attracts quite a bit of fans. What isn't cool about a cat-like robot playing an instrument in front of you?

Name: Ryuko
Role in the Band: Guitarist

Long black hair with a red streak, brown eyes, always wearing a black cat ear hoodie, a music note tattoo under her left eye.

Childish, sarcastic, slightly sadistic

Can play drums but likes her guitar alot more

Her left arm is metal and is hard as diamonds, A 10 inch blade comes out of her left wrist

I became an orphan after my dad killed my mom then himself. I met the band and became their guitarist by force. I've stayed with the band ever since cause I ain't got nothing better to do!

...I'm not sure that an indie garage band would have a manager, dear. Could I suggest another role?

I might have an idea on a band name...
EDIT: How's "Harlem Topsiders" sound? It's something my friend came up with...

...we have two drummers? Could be interesting.

totally being a singer!

Gettin' this up before too long.

CHARACTER SHEET
Name:
Role in the Band: Singer!
Actual Job: Slacker

My face when things are progressing in a TOTALLY NOT RADICAL FASHION, which is FAR TOO OFTEN.

Eh, I like to take it easy, you know? No sense fretting over the small stuff in life. It's about the journey, not the destination, you know? I mean, sometimes some totally not radical people come and ruin your chill ride through life, and yeah, then you gotta go remove them from your flow and get back to chillin, but the chillness-that is where true joy in life resides.

I have lived, breathed, and slept on Disco for the first twenty-four years of my life. I've beaten dozens of Dance-battlers at their own game, and slain hundreds of the Beat Monsters that plauged my homeland. I can run, I can hide, and I can survive in a beatbox wasteland for a week without any supplies.

Also I can keep a beat well and can sing.

Other than that...well, I've been getting pretty good at video games.

I've got a Neon Glowstick, which I'm told is called a Lightsaber here, and the ability of Accelerando (Which I'm told functions like something called "bullettime")

I'm a superhero from the future, sent back in time to avert an apocalypse and the resulting collapse of society and hideous world. I finished my mission within a couple minutes of showing up, so since then I've just been kinda chillin'. The past is cool, Dawg.

ANTAGONIST SHEET
Name:

Sweet. Just need a guitarist now and we have ourselves a band.

Making sure I get this right. I make an antagonist for Josh, yes? :3 I ask because you have Adrian there.

Band names...

Well, there one I have in mind. 'Undefined'. It was a name my boyfriend's band was going to use, but they didn't get too far because of college. I'm sure we could borrow it if it's to your liking.

WE ARE UNDEFINED. WE MAKE YOU THINK ABOUT DEATH AND STUFF.

I helped spawn this thing, so I damn well better join.

CHARACTER SHEET
Name: Viktor Price
Role in the Band: Manager/Roadie/Techy/Otaku
Actual Job: Not-so-spoiled rich guy, living off a montly check from parents

Spoilered for your convenience
URL]

While Viktor has never wanted for anything, he hs not become a spoiled brat like most people from wealthy families. Kicked out of his house by his parents when he was 15, Viktor has had to make his own way in the world with only $500 dollars for rent from his parents per month. Not one to judge on appearances, Viktor instead judges people based on their actions. This has allowed him to make many friends with relative ease, though he is often at odds with the 'popular' crowd, due to his disdain for their selfishness and general backstabby ways.

Man of the world (has had experience living among people from all sorts of walks of life)
Extensive knowledge of Japanese pop culture, especially anime, manga, and video games
Decent business management skills
Freerunning

Dons Ultramarine Power Armor, a chainsword, and Boltgun with the battle cry "FOR THE EMPEROR!"

Viktor's parents were wealthy players of that great game known as the Stock Market. As such, Viktor spent much of his early life relatively well pampered. However, when he turned 15, his parents kicked him out of the house to live on his own, with only a monthly check of $500 to pay for rent and food. Since then, Viktor has done all sorts of jobs, met all sorts of people, and found that he wants to live in Japan.

CHARACTER SHEET
Name: Hobo Joe
Role in the Band: Magic Hobo/Drummer

images.jpg

Your average Hobo guy

Aside from not the greatest hygiene, he's pretty good at playing the drums.

Hobo Joe is an amazingly skilled martial artist with nunchaku he sealed a storm deamon in. He's also super strong and super fast.

He can also apparently teleport, though he doesn't seem to know this.

Hobo Joe was in college once, then he got bored and toured the world. During that time learned martial arts, battled demons on mount Fuji, and got his nunchaku. Now he's in Canada and out of money. He just randomly showed up one day and started playing the drums. Hasn't missed a single practice even though no one knows how to tell him when they are.

ANTAGONIST SHEET
Name:'Kill' Bill Williams
Occupation/Job/Reason For Existing: Drummer for 'Streets of Rage'

42-20713898.jpg

He's a jerk, and a rather popular guy

He's an extremely talented drummer, is capable of large consumption of alcohol, and is a hit at parties

He's a super soldier. He makes the action heroes of movies look like nothing.

He grew up in a wealthy home with overbearing parents. To get away he joined the army and volunteered for the super soldier program. After a while he got bored and left, learned to play the drums, and joined 'streets of rage'.
He also inherited his parent's fortune.

You people keep getting faster. I don't think I'm going to make it into this in time.

I'm not gonna be closing applications for this one, so you're always welcome to join folks.

And yeah, Fluffy, you design yourself an antagonist for the person above you (me, in this case).

edited in my dude to my first post. Still working on it, though.

Thanks. Looking forward to finally jumping in once I have that "Aha!" Moment where all the prototype ideas click together.
Also, taking suggestions for the band name.
I'd like to suggest "Smithereens" or "The Smithereens."

Or would you prefer, in keeping with the source material, video game references? If so, here or some that come to mind. Feel free to give them to npc rival bands if you like any of them, but don't want it to be the PC band's name:

Colossal Shadows (maybe with a running gag about nobody knowing the plural form of "Colossus" and the original game's title being too long to repeat)

Chaos Control (probably better for a competing band, considering who its attached to and how that makes people feel)

Golden Axe

Out Run

Deku Nuts (if you don't use this one, I'll probably put it in my character's backstory)

Uncharted Waters

That Chaos Cyndicate name someone suggested caught my notice for the fact that, in Streets of Rage, you fought "The Syndicate" so maybe that's a good one.

*shrug*