Stumbled Into (Taken)

Darian watched as she fell asleep, just as she did everything else, beautifully. It was almost blissful for him to watch as if he could think of a world without a care or concern. It made him smiled and he reached up to gently move the hair from her face. The war seemed to settle outside and gave way to the sound of chirping crickets. It was lulling him off to sleep but something kept him awake. The thought about where his life might be going from here on out. Who was this girl that saved his life? How could he suddenly explain her appearance in his life with his friends and family? She would be living with him, did he need to come up with some sort of cover? It was not unheard of to have a female servant but he didn't want to tell her that because she might feel as if she'd gone from the slave of one man to the slave of another. And yet could he call her his fiancé? A romantic notion which Darian wasn't sure where he stood... she was beautiful and there was something interesting that drew him to her. Her happiness was almost contagious.

Another day. His body convinced him that now was not the time to think of such things, they would hopefully be more clear in the morning... with that, Darian lay his head against the soft bed, his posture in a relaxed sitting position. It placed his head inadvertently closer to Ella's sleeping form. His eyes closed slowly and he felt himself slipping into unconsciousness.

"Wake up." Ella shook Darian. "Wake up, now!" A strange burning smell started to surround them. Was somebody starting a fire? "Wake up, Darian!" The room started to get warmer. The pure fae were attacking the inn, causing it to burn down with firey arrows. None of the humans knew where the arrows were coming from, only knowing that one of the main sources of income for the town was being burnt down. Ella could see the faeries and wanted to get Darian out of the inn, but was unable to carry him.

The smell of smoke assaulted his nostrils as Ella frantically called him back to reality from the realm of sleep. Groggily he looked around the now much warmer room, it was still dark outside and yet there was a strange glow now coming from the bottom floor of the inn. Everything seemed to come into sharp focus at that moment. Getting to his feet he moved right to the door and opened it, the fires were starting to consume the bottom of the inn. The other faeries must have found them, how did they know they were here? "Come on, Ella..." They both made it down the stairs however there was a rather large fire which was in front of the exit. Grabbing Ella he picked her up of the ground and into his arms. Taking a running start he leaped over the flames and out of the door. However it was right into the trap which the faeries to set up. They were waiting for them, the townspeople were frantically trying to put the inn out. Unaware of the invisible cause...

The faeries landed slowly in front of the two of them, "You thought you could get yourself a human lover and run away, Ella? You should know better then that... slaves are not meant to love." He moved closer as Darian set Ella on the ground. As the man got closer Darian lashed out and caught him right on the jaw with a strong right hook. It sent the faery to the ground, the devilish wings flared and he threw his hand forward. A magical force knocked Darian off his feet and sent him straight into the ground.

"Stop!" Ella cried out in the language of the fae. "You're hurting him! I'll go back, just please... leave the humans be." She kneeled down next to Darian, making sure he was alright. The fae laughed as the watched her. She looked up after seeing that Darian had some bruises. "The magic in your wings is weak." She glared at the fae, the fire fading before disappearing. "You wish the power of our ancestors. I may be a slave, but involving the humans is too much." She tilted her head. As she did, all of the fae started to grab their necks, being choked by an unseen force. Ella watched the fae struggle, a small smile on her face.

Ella was above him, checking him, Darian had never felt anything quite like that. It was similar to the feeling of Ella's healing but this was so much more forceful. There was pain. Not overwhelming but there was pain. And then it stopped, Ella was speaking to them in their language. He understood nothing and yet whatever they told her and whatever she told them the pain stopped and they laughed at her. It was then that Ella's look changed, she looked at them and the men lifted off the ground holding their necks. A smile was on her face as she watched them dangle.

Darian couldn't believe what he was seeing, she was doing this all on her own. These men were beginning to flail about. Darian reached up, unsure of what he was seeing but not sure how things should proceed. Placing his hand on Ella's shoulder he spoke quickly but softly. "Ella, what are you doing?" These men had subjected her to slavery, they'd attacked them, but did they deserve to die? Darian wasn't sure but he knew they were not the ones to decide that. "Ella, don't kill them... we'll just run."

Ella stopped at his touch, the fae falling to the ground. She shook, afraid of what she could do. The men's wings were torn, barely skin and bones. They all fled as fast as they could, trying to get away from the she-demon. Ella felt her eyes start to water. Magic was suppose to be used for good. That's what her mentor had always told her. She started to cry, her shoulders shaking as she thought of the destruction she could have made. She had to get away from Darian before she hurt him too.

To be honest Darian was a little afraid of what he'd just witnessed, he'd never seen this side of Ella before. He'd never noticed the power which she held within her, but that was not too surprising to him. He still knew very little about her ways, the ways of magic or the fae. What surprised him was that smile. In the short time he knew her he had never seen that look of vengeance in her eyes. Shaking his head he knew she'd protected him, saved his life once more. Her eyes began to water, what she'd done had unnerved her to it seemed. That was not what she'd wanted to do... or perhaps it had been what she'd wanted at the moment but now she regretted the decision.

Standing up with her help he held her close, just wrapping his arms around her for a moment to comfort her. Perhaps subconsciously he just wanted to let her know he was still there at her side. Holding her for a moment longer, "They'll be back, we need to go." He whispered to her. The townspeople were now gathering they saw the couple there.

The other fae were gone but Ella was still there, they saw her wings, and a hushed whisper of blame washed over the crowd. It only got louder and louder as they went along. "She must have done this! He's trying to protect her! Devil! Demon!" They chanted, shouted, some began to pick stones up and throw them.

Darian watched the townspeople, "No stop, please! She didn't do this! It's not what you think!" He tried to calm them but he knew that once riled up and after they had seen what they did. Ella would forever be to blame in their minds. Taking Ella's hand he took off between the buildings finding a horse he took the reins and climbed on before turning the horse, "Ella, we need to run!" He extended his hand towards her to help her get on so they could get out of the town and back into the woods.

"No..." Ella shook her head. "No, I can't. I need to be punished. I hurt..." She moved away from the horse. "I could hurt more people..." She looked away from Darian, tears falling to the ground at a quick pace. "I wanted them to hurt... because they hurt you." She shook like a leaf in a storm. "I wanted them to hurt so badly... I nearly killed them... I need to pay for my wrongdoings, Darian. I revealed a fae to a human. I need to be punished." She started to move back toward where the crowd was.

Darian got off of the horse just as quickly as he'd gotten on, landing next to her he took her hand and pulled her to him. Placing her face between his hands he smiled, "Ella... stop, please... you've suffered enough already. You've saved my life twice, doesn't that mean something as well?" Watching her he began to wipe away her tears with his thumbs. "You protected me, that is not something to punish but to thank." Looking into her eyes like this he hoped that he was getting through to her somehow. Because he knew that the townspeople would not be throwing rocks soon. They would have had time to grab tools and things. They would likely kill the both of them.

Continuing to wipe her tears away he moved in close, "Please, don't punish yourself for my sake, run away with me." He didn't wait for an answer he simply took her hand and helped her onto the horse. Climbing into the saddle the townspeople now had rounded the corner. Hoes, pruning hooks, shovels, and pitchforks in hand. Their chanting to a deafening tone as Darian pressed the horse to a full gallop and they escaped into the trees.

Darian rode for hours, making sure that no one was following them before he turning down a riverbank. There on the side was a small cave, hidden from the rest of the world by the rocks along the riverbed. It was almost invisible unless you were right on top of it. It was a miracle that Darian saw it but he knew it would provide a good place to hide. Helping Ella off the horse he began to feel the effects of a tireless night coming upon him. "Ella are you alright?"

Ella didn't speak for a while, but finally did ask. "What's wrong with me?" She looked up at Darian, her eyes red and puffy. She was vulnerable and confused. Her whole life, whole existence, had been changed once she met the human that needed help. "The pure fae hate me, the royal fae fear me... Am I that horrible?" She felt herself breaking. Gone was the faithful servant image she held up for so many years. Now she was a lost young girl, looking for some type of guidance. "I didn't mean to, didn't want to kill them... I wanted them to hurt, that's all." She looked down at her hands as if she had been choking the men with them. She had brought a human into the world of the fae. That was forbidden among those who lived under the pure fae. The royal fae only brought those who had either great mental ability or advanced magical properties. She wasn't sure of either of these things with Darian. All she knew was that he held her gently and made her feel warm. She bit her lip, a common trait among the slaves that they usually did when they disobeyed their master.

Watching her she was greatly troubled and Darian just like any man wanted to fix it for her. Wanted to be able to take this pain away from her so that she didn't have to deal with it. Like it was some sort of banking problem, emotionless money which Darian knew almost everything about. Yet this wasn't money, it wasn't a financial problem and Darian honestly didn't know where to start. That scared him a little. There was one thing that he did know... he was driven to help her... no, not just that, he was driven to her. To that beauty, to that sadness, to that look of pure kindness she had on her face when she'd healed him. She'd affected him in a way that he couldn't explain. And now that it was a part of him it was something he didn't want to change. "Hey," he said taking her hand again.

Wrapping his arms around her he just stood there and held her close. Like they had in the cavity of the tree. He didn't say anything for awhile, just letting her think or talk, or whatever she needed to do. He was there for her. "Ella you didn't kill them, you were protecting me, you stopped before you went to far. And just like you did then. When that moment comes again I know you'll make the right choice." This he whispered to her, still holding her close and just letting her do what she needed to do. "You're not horrible and you've done nothing wrong, you have a gift. You showed it to me when you healed me. And it wasn't the magic. You could have easily let me die there. No one would have been wiser for it... but you showed compassion."

Pulling just far enough away that he could look into her eyes he smiled softly. "That alone makes you something to me and tells me that you're not a horrible person."

Ella blinked before smiling. "Thank you, Darian..." She wiped away the rest of her tears. "You're kind... most of the fae would have me killed for showing an emotion like that." She started to set up things in the cave, looking for wood for a fire. She wanted to feel useful to this man, like how she used to feel toward her master. How he rewarded her though... it was questionable at times, but it never went too far. She could still approach the unicorns in the stables and care for them. She looked for something to help her start a fire, the sticks now fashioned in a shape that would easily keep the fire going.

With those few short words of thank you Darian was now much more calm. She smiled at him, truly smiled at him and began to wipe her own tears away. Then it seemed she wanted something to do. Watching her he saw that she was gathering sticks, likely for a fire of some kind. Realizing that might not be a bad idea on a night like tonight he looked back at the horse. Watching it patiently stand drinking the water. Darian almost suggested that she try and start the fire with magic, if she could, but that seemed a touchy subject at the moment. Besides it looks like the horse he'd taken was someone's riding horse. The pack was still on it, and with a little luck there might be a bit of flint and a knife.

Searching through the saddlebags he found a knife, it's edge nice and sharp. It was definitely not a killing weapon but one that was meant for food. It took him a few moments longer and he found a bit of flint in the bag. "Got something." He said aloud before heading towards the sticks, gathering a little tinder he made a ball and began to spark the flint. The tinder caught fire and Darian soon had a fire going. For a moment he watched the flames, the townspeople wouldn't come this far. And hopefully the fae wouldn't find them here. At least not tonight... sitting down against the cave wall he felt his body become lethargic. His sleep finally catching up to him as he let his head roll forward and found himself drifting off.

The next morning, Ella wasn't in the cave. She was with the horse, brushing its mane and making sure it had enough food and water. She looked tired, as if she didn't sleep when they got to the cave. She looked at the river with blank eyes, her hands working through the horse's mane mindlessly. She seemed to be deep in thought about something. Nobody could be sure what though.

Darian awoke the next morning to the sight of an empty cave, rushing to his feet he looked around for a moment. Where was Ella? Had the fae come in the middle of the night to take her? Had she gone willingly just to protect him? Or had she just wandered off? A thought crossed his mind that she'd simply left him so that she wouldn't endanger his life any further...

No, Darian was jumping to conclusions all too quickly she probably just went off somewhere. Walking out to the river he noticed that the horse seemed to be missing as well. Where had that gone? "Ella?" He called out as he rounded the corner and sighted the beautiful form of Ella brushing the mane of the horse. Walking closer there was a strange blank look on her face as she stared out into the water. Her mind was obviously elsewhere. A slight wave of relief passed over Darian at the fact he'd found her.

Walking closer he placed a hand on the horse's nose as he watched Ella. She didn't move, it was like she hadn't noticed him step up at all. "Ella? What's going on? I got a little worried."

Ella flinched a bit at his voice. "Oh! Darian... Nothing's going on. I was just thinking..." She continued to run her hands through the horse's mane. The wind blew through her hair, making it flow out behind her. Her wings fluttered in the wind, ready to take flight when their owner wanted them too. She looked over at Darian, a sort of regret in her eyes. Her wings started to flutter faster, nearly enough to lift her off of the ground.

The flinch when he talked to her, the regretful look in her eyes, she looked like she hadn't slept all night. Then he noticed something else her wings were fluttering in the wind. But it wasn't the wind that was driving them and they were moving far faster then he'd ever seen them go before. Watching Ella for a moment he put all of the pieces together in his mind. "You're planning to leave aren't you?" There was a pain in his voice even as he spoke those word. A sense of betrayal washed over him and yet, what did he have to feel betrayed about? What was this relationship that they shared...

"Don't go..." he said quietly, closing his eyes and tilting his head forward so that she couldn't see them. "Ella, I know I can't stop you from doing what you want, you're free to do as you please. I'm not your master and you are no longer a servant, but..." He wasn't sure what else to say, he just didn't want to be without her. This new magical world he'd seen, her smile, and the away she looked at him made him feel like he was worth something to someone. Not just another profit margin. "I want you to stay." He finished his statement, knowing it was a pitiful argument.

"I'm sorry, Darian... wherever I go, death and destruction will follow. It's been that way since my birth. I need to leave before you are hurt too." She started to hover above the ground, only a few centimeters in between her foot and the ground. "Thank you for being so kind, but please, I need to leave." She felt like crying. She didn't want to leave. She wanted to stay, but if she did the fae would come back and possibly hurt Darian. Her curiosity was fighting with her morality. SHe felt conflicted, but knew that she needed to leave soon.

Reaching out as he saw her feet lift from the ground he took her hand in his own, "Ella, no wait... please..." He was now looking straight at her. Watching her eyes, she was serious, she didn't want to see him hurt and he didn't want to get hurt. But he knew that if she left now they would find her. Turn her into a slave once more, or even kill her, and even if they didn't they... no, there were more selfish reasons. He was trying to convince himself that if wasn't his selfish desire that wanted to keep her around. He had grown attached, he supposed it was just because she'd saved his life and yet... there was a feeling in his chest. A nagging feeling that kept his curiosity about what she was, who she was, where she wanted to go. He wanted to stay with her because she made him feel like he was needed.

His grip tightened for a moment, "Please Ella, don't go." He started with a half smile, "Perhaps I'm just being selfish Ella, I've only known you for a little time. Only yesterday my world didn't go much farther then the woods surrounding my town at the one we stayed at. Now I know there is a mysterious world of creatures that I'd only ever heard of in storybooks." Laughing lightly, it was a sad laugh as he held onto her hand even tighter. "Now I know a world out there inhabited by the most beautiful creatures I've ever known. And in the short time I've known you, you've proven that to me. You are beautiful in more ways then one because you've given me what no one else can. A sense of being wanted."

Walking forward he looked into her eyes again, "I don't know what I'll do if you aren't around Ella... I've met the most beautiful woman I can imagine, a curiosity has filled me like it never has before. Not just about the fae, but about you." He paused for just a moment before telling her in the most serious tone he could muster. "I would risk death rather then go back to my dreary existence. But, I know that your here and you... you protected me once before, saved my life once before, I think I can count on you doing so again." Looking away towards the trees above them on the opposite bank, "Besides, I don't know if I could live with the idea of you being captured again, subjected to slavery..."

Last edited by a moderator:
Ella lowered herself to the ground. She had tears in her eyes at how sweet he sounded. "Do you... do you really want me? A fae that was suppose to be a slave?" She asked, moving closer to him. She wanted to be held. Dear God above, she wanted those strong arms to hold her. She wanted him to teach her about the humans and teach her their customs. She wanted him to hold her when she got scared or when she was unsure. She wanted this man, needed him to satisfy her curiosity. Maybe, in turn, she could satisfy his.