Strangers: The Council Convenes

An internal matter? I’ll take it as a polite way of saying mind your own business. Ben thought but didn’t said. Still he appreciated the rest of the information given. It confirmed what the cobbler said earlier. Even if a stranger is on the side of the authorities, they are still seen as monsters.

As much as Benjie now understood the reasons why his frustration with it did not fully cease. Beside the main threat, he had to be concerned at the same time with the possibility of locals will try to kill him for simply existing. All the same I don’t want to be revered by damned murdering zealots either. I’ll gut them first. The sergeant reminded himself, deciding the former was the lesser of two evils.

After speaking some more about the impriosned Dean council revealed, they were mustering a team to hunt Hitler and his followers. His countenance brightened. Finally, they can strike back, though Ben quickly remembered it will not be easy given what has already happened. Moreover they wanted him and Richard to be advisors for the unit. The offer was certainly better than waiting around for the enemy to attack again.

First turning toward his English counterpart Benjie looked at each representative with determination before settling on Chize. With one arm he saluted the whole assembly and said.

“I humbly accept your offer honored council members.”

Last edited:
Reactions: Gands
Sir Richard Francis Burton

Burton listening to the flurry of conversations seems to be taking it all in. He appears very thoughtful as he listens. In short order the young Asian soldier has proclaimed his intention to be part of this.

" I do believe this is an idea with merit. I intend to be integrally involved. But I am curious, given the secrecy you intend to cloak this operation with, how do we account for all of the people who know who we are, Red Shield, White guard, and others. ? "

Benjie agrees to help the Council, and Chize nods to him as she smiles widely, some of her fangs showing. Little does this Council know that Benjie might be uniquely qualified for this endeavor. Both because of his unique military background, and his knowledge of Hitler and his followers.

Richard then asks his question, and the Council glance to one another as they seem to silently think amongst themselves. But as it usually is, it’s Chize that speaks, motioning to the Queen. “If it’s the wish of her Highness, your tasks for us could be hidden quite easily.” She now steps away from the podium, her hands folding behind her back. Her long white furred tail sways gently as she steps a little closer to the Strangers. “It isn’t unheard of for Strangers to be sent as special envoys to other nations. All people will know is that you are on task for the Kingdom, and for this Council. Beyond that… well no one will ask. Once they hear it is the wishes of the royal family and the Council that you are tasked with… well that is all they will need to know.” She shakes her head a little then, her long ears drawing down slightly upon her head. “I’m afraid the task force we send with you will be a small one. But they will be talented. Your other Stranger allies… do you know of any of them you would like included in this? Please, we wish to hear both your opinions…”

The sergeant nodded in approval. It sounds like they will get some cover at least for what needs to be done. Beside I’m more used to working in small groups by now. Benjie thought, considering his experiences as a guerrilla fighter. When asked if there is anyone else they would take along from their fellow strangers he paused.

Scratching the back of his head, Ben pondered on the possibilities. There some candidates that came to mind and others not so much. Turning toward Chize he finally answered.

“Anne Bonny is a very capable fighter and a worthy comrade but...not very diplomatic. Not mention the Irish woman has people in this world she wants to return to soon as possible.”

Sighing he went on. “Harry has a unique power for a stranger and an experienced artist but still not exactly a warrior. Personally I would accept only volunteers who know the risks.” Gesturing, his right hand toward the Englishman, Ben concluded. “Richard here can make his own recommendations since he has more spent time with his companions.”

Of course both the Queen and Richard would notice Ben did not mention Yuzuki the Samurai at all.

Last edited:
Richard Francis Burton

Burton listened to Benjy describe some of his compatriots.

"I have two companion strangers that came with me. Grimm is a very skilled hunter. But he is sensative and stubborn. Perhap among the least diplomatic people i have ever met. Once you have him on your side, you will have a valuable ally. Someone who could compliment him on his hunting talents would go a long way to making him friend. "

"The other man comes from the ancient age of our world. His last battle is legend among the scholars of my time, thousands of years later. He is called Leonidas of Sparta. He was a king of his people. I have spoken with him. He has good sense, is charismatic and a very capable warrior. "

" What about the female samurai. What I know of that culture, that alone is a rare circumstance. As for Anne Bonney, she seems fond of your people Lady Chize. Though she seems to have picked up the habit of wanting to stroke soft fur.

The Council listens to the recommendations of Benjie and Richard, each member seeming to be having their own individual thought process. While there is a singular, common goal… there is always some kind of politic involved in things like this. How such actions would be percieved should something go astray. And how to distance themselves from acknowledging the existence of such a strike force should they be found out…

With a low grunt the Orcnaes now speaks, motioning to the humans. “The Benjie and The Burton seems to think this will be some official mission. They will be meeting greeting conquering the tribes.” Might be a color metaphor or something. “none would know of your hunters party. None outside of this chamber. Smaller peoples will frown on the Council sending out a kill sweep.” Chize nods a little as she picks up where Gurak leaves off. “It’s our fear that if word was to spread of this tracking party, that information would get back to Hitler. We.. have found it difficult to know who to trust, and who is leaking information to this enemy of our people. So given that… I shall speak to his ‘king’ you have travelled with. As well as this Grimm Stranger. I would rather Anne not be put into this position.” Gurak speaks up once more. “The Yuzuki has shown a cunning small one. And in service to our Queen. For Our Queen it is to decide, I feel it is.” “Once we have adjourned…” the young elven like woman now speaks “Please mention this awful mission to no one.” She clearly doesn’t like the whole implication of this plan, but it is the will of the majority in this room. “There shall be a few others joining you, assigned by us. We hope they will be able to be of use to you once you venture forth from these walls.”

Reactions: Nomad-22
The group’s purpose became further clear to Benjie. It appeared the council truly want to do this off the books so to speak. When Yuzuki was mentioned, Ben grimaced. The idea of teaming up with her wasn’t a pleasing thought for him to say the least. Surely the queen would want to keep the samurai with her as bodyguard.

Beside his anti-Japanese bias Ben didn’t think someone of her time would be for the style of warfare that will be employed in this case. Intelligence gathering, raiding and assassination. This will be not for the faint of heart. The resistance fighter thought before closing his eyes and remembered...

June 24, 1943
Philippines, Island of Luzon, City of Manila​

Walking out of a nightclub alone, a baldish middle aged man in a white stained suit and pants sighed with pleasure, somewhat drunk. “Magandang beses.” He muttered while a Japanese Army truck drove by with the sky above covered in shadows and the moon. The ‘gentleman’ staggered for a few steps, chuckling. Suddenly behind him, a voice said. “Hayaan mo akong tulungan ka doon kaibigan.”

Recognizing the voice, Dante Galura tried to turn his head around by a strong hand grabbed him by the collar and another covered his mouth. Before the white suit Filipino could let out a muffed cry, he was dragged into a dark alley. Shoved to a wall, Dante grunted before looking up to Benjie Deflino who held him there staring back with cold contempt. (Benjie what’s the meaning of this? You’re no bandit.) Galura asked in Tagalog a voice evident of shock.

‘I’m not here to rob you pig!’ Ben hissed back and leaned closer. ‘You sold out Rosamie and Alon to the Japs.’ Shaking his head back and forth Dante squirmed. ‘Just thought they were going be questioned noting else. I swear by the saints. Its not like I killed them.’

Outraged the resistance fighter spit in Dante’s face, remarking. ’Don’t give me that Dante, you may as well have done it. They suffered for days before they were fed alive to sharks. All because of you...’ Seeing the intend behind his captor’s eyes Galura in horrified realization begged for mercy.

‘Please Benjie don’t. I got children they need-

Before the informant could even finish, Ben swifty drew his bolo and slit at the other man’s throat. Dante gagged his dying breath as the resistance fighter finally let him drop to the ground sideways. Within seconds the man known in Manila as Dante Galura was dead and Ben briskly walked away to the opposite end of allway into the night. He thought to himself.

That was too good for him. Hope the pig rots in hell!

Present Day​

Eyes opened again Sergeant Deflino replied back to the elven council member with only one word. “Understood.” Anyone in the room experienced in combat would note Filipino’s body language meant he was deadly serious about carrying out the task ahead.

Last edited:
Sir Richard Francis Burton

Burton, listening again gathered in the gravity of the situation. These people couldn't entirely tell who the enemy was.

You'd think it would be easy enough to wander through town looking for the swastika tattoo. Though a smart enemy wouldn't flag all of his forces that way.

He certainly had no doubts about Benjie. The younger soldier carried himself with good sense and passion. He liked the younger man quite a bit.

He thought for a moment of some of the many exciting challenges he had undertaken. Going into Mecca disguised as a Moslem doctor. The long search for the source of the Nile. Trips into the Amazon jungle.

He would have to keep a great many things to himself now. His trust squeezed to the little group going on the hunt. He would like to relax and train a bit. All of his many impressive skills were quite rusty.
With Benjie's quiet.. "Understood"
Burton followed with his own agreement.

"Yes, I quite agree. Secrecy will be paramount now. Would it be possible to get some training time in before we leave?. I am afraid I am somewhat behind in my skills. I was bedridden for a while before coming here. ( I will point out that Burton looks very robust indeed at the moment )

Queen Gweyr is content to sit and listen to the deliberations between the rest of the Council and the Strangers, only offering a nod of approval when Chize suggests this task force could operate under the orders directly from the Throne of Gatecia.

"Yes, Lady Date is in service to my family, but even so I would not be so forceful as to speak on her behalf." She says in response to Gurak positing that it would be her decision whether or not Yuzuki would be joining this task force.

After everyone has had their say, The Queen rises from her seat "Since it appears that is all the business we must attend to at the moment, I will take my leave and lead our esteemed guests back to the castle. I will confer with His Majesty about our plans soon as I am able. He had just begun a meeting with his own Council when I departed." The Queen has a thought then, which she voices immediately. "Although I will say....if this task force should need to enter Linia, that will complicate things. His Majesty King Edward, my brother-in-law, is...." She seems to hesitate on the right tactful words to use next "...very protective of his borders, his authority and the like. He is the elder brother, of course. And so we must consider that when making plans."

On mentioning Linia, the Maleese representative coughs nervously but says nothing of what he thinks.

And as the Queen rises from her seat, each Council member pushes up from their own seats. “As the head of this Council” Chize starts in a soft tone, her long tail twitching side to side “I shall address the others of the Strangers, I shall confer with them on whether or not they would be a part of this task.” The Council all glance at one another, nodding faintly.

Seirye is the next to speak, her eyes towards the Queen “My Lady, shall we send word to His Highness of Linia of our plan? Or is there perhaps someone specific that should address this?” As the young Zylrel addresses the Queen, the mechanical Valbuhm approaches Benjie and Richard. A series of brief clicks is heard before he speaks, his head tilted down towards them. “Yes, yes training! There would be little time” click tink tink “to hone your mighty skills before you are off! So, rudimentary training is what is called for when a camp has been established!”

“Yes, I believe informing King Edward would be the most cordial way to assure the force can go where they need. I will use our See Orb to inform him directly on my return home.” She answers and then says in a less formal manner with a smile. “And a proper congratulations on completing your Pilgrimage. I would like a copy of your research after you've made your presentation to the Elders.” She gives a small bow of the head to her then speaks to Chize. “And if you like you may ride along with me Lady Chize. The rest of the Strangers are gathered on the castle grounds after all.”

Seirye looks positively shocked when the Queen asks for a copy of the research she had put together. “I..” she says softly, finding herself looking away directly from the Queen’s eyes. “Of.. of course my Queen! It would be my greatest honor.. I should like your esteemed.. Opinion…” She almost seems like a giddy school girl that just got the ‘cool’ teacher’s attention. “Thank you, my Queen.” She says now, looking almost shyly back towards the Queen.

Chize pats Seirye on the shoulder gently as she walks passed her, smiling a big smile to the shorter woman. As if to silently congratulate her. Chize then looks towards the Queen as she speaks. “I would be most grateful, my Lady. And as for our new allies here…” she motions towards Benjie and Richard. “We shall see them to quarters, along with the rest of their task force. You will be leaving in the morning. Please, prepare yourselves for your journey. The wilds will be… devious... “ The mechanical Xanth now motions to Richard and Benjie. “Come softlings! To the barracks!”

“Let us hope Mr. Dean has been somewhat forthcoming.” Queen Gweyr says while walking out of the chamber and through the doors being opened for them by a pair of guards. Gweyr's Royal carriage is waiting. She stops just short of the steps to tell the others “I do apologise but, protocol dictates only Chize may accompany me in the carriage. You two will have to follow behind.” She then steps up into the carriage.

When Chize joins Gweyr the carriage starts towards the castle, and the two Strangers are treated to the city of York in late afternoon. The streets are more alive than before; every block there is some kind of show in progress or promoting one yet to begin. One such show crier is a young woman in bright clothing playing a tambourine and saying in sing-song manner “Come come come to the Dance of the Drum! Feel the thunder of the brothers and witness the Sisters of the Dance! A united show like none seen before in honor of Union Day!”

The Royal Carriage is given deference as it passes, never needing to stop along the way to the castle as traffic stops in its wake, and soon the party passes the gates into the courtyard….

Reactions: Nomad-22