QHAWEhW.jpg

Character Index

Grimm nodded along to Genessa's explanation and shrugged. "As long as I am free to choose who I work for I have no objections to these rules." Picking up his new crossbow, Grimm gave a small bow to Genessa and made his way to the festival. Skirting the edges of the crowd and trying not to get roped into a conversation, Grimm eventually found the marksman competition grounds. Finding a secluded spot away from the crowd that allowed him to watch the target range, Grim began inspecting his new weapon.

@Ms.Ezra

"Very good!" Genessa rises from her chair and bids to Grimm "Good luck!" As he leaves for the competition grounds. Genessa takes the Seer Orb from a drawer in her desk, and places it in an inner pocket of her uniform. She tells Bernard on their way out "We're going to see the fencing exhibition Bernard. I have one of the Seer Orbs if there are any developments from the field operatives."

She leads Mr. Burton through the streets to the other side of Doren, where people crowd around a raised stage. A fencing exhibition is already under way, with the taller of the two fencers having the upper hand as they find a good vantage point near the stage to watch. The taller has the faster footwork, yet does not go for fast strikes, but deliberate strong ones that snake through his opponent's openings.

The foil rips at the cloth of the white protective shirts, and the referee calls out points written in chalk on a large board. The taller's name is Feldan, the other Vugun, and with each minute the gap between the scores widen as Vugun loses energy. The exhibition ends with Vugun receiving one last strike before he raises his foil and with heaving shoulders, lets it fall. The crowd applauds as the two combatants take off their helmets and shake hands. The referee announces "The winner is Feldan of Gatecia!"

Throughout the match, Genessa stands beside Richard, quietly cheering on the taller Feldan. When it's over, she applauds and says aside to her companion "A fellow Gatecian, and same village as well. What do you think of their martial prowess?"

Meanwhile at the competition grounds just outside the city walls, the crowds have begun to gather and an official, seeing Grimm, approaches him with a scroll and quill ready. "Excuse me, sir? Are you planning to participate? If so I need your name a-a-and nation of origin. I'm afraid your attire doesn't afford me any clue on their own."

Sir Richard Francis Burton

Burton goes along with the young woman once again into the Fair area. There is something pleasant about this area, this town that does relax him.

He watches with interest the two fencers particularly with the winner. He has a smart style to his fencing.

"Your Feldan fights smart Genessa, no better compliment could I give him. Do you hold yourself capable as a fencer ?"

@Dunruffle @Ms.Ezra

Grimm looked up at the official and shrugged non-committally. "Truthfully I have no desire to participate in challenges of skill. I simply wanted to practice with my new weapon. If there is a way for one to take part without the need for competition I would gladly do so."

"I suppose giving my name is expected. I am Grimm Mann, hailing from the lands of Kalmarunionen."

@Ms.Ezra

7cd7e2c6ac6cbb69091e9cf405b09dc5.jpg

The air reeked on sweat and blood. The sound of metal clashing, flesh tearing, men screaming, and the swish of blades and arrows echoed all around. Leonidas was amid all of it. They had defended The Pass, but they had been betrayed, which all the men still fighting knew meant their death. However, those who remained around Leonidas at this moment knew full well that their lives were to be forfeit here. The Spartans that remained were ready, and Leonidas could only grin and nod his head at those that were not his brethren that chose to stay and fight.

Leonidas let out a furious roar as he slashed his way through the hordes that kept coming, pushing his body well past its limit. An arrow found its home in the back of his right calf as he was engaged with 2 Persians, keeping them at bay with sword and shield. The pain instantly registered, dropping the Spartan King to the knee of the injured leg. The Persian to his left attempted to seize the opportunity and slay him, but the attack was blocked by the shield on his left. All that Persian gained was a sword to the abdomen, a moment later a spray of red would cover Leonidas as the enemies entrails would collect in the dirt at his feet. The Persian to the right would also attack, almost in sync with the now disemboweled Persian, and Leonidas would just manage to lean his head out of the way of the sword that wanted his head. The sword would connect with his helmet and knock it from his head, causing a moment of dizziness. The King would power through the haze though, quickly lunging toward his attacker, slamming his shield into their stomach before bringing it up into their face, and once they were on their back, he'd finish them off with a powerful stab through their throat.

This long drawn out fight, however, had caught up to even the likes of Leonidas, as he finished off the soldier before him, a hot sharp pain shot through his lower back. The source, a spear from the enemy. He grunted in pain, gritting his teeth as he spun and slashed at the spear, splitting it, ready to attack the one who dared to attack him. However, as he raised his sword he was hit by 2 more arrows. 1 in the chest and the other in his stomach. The impact shook Leonidas to a stop for a moment, he grimaced slightly, doing his best to concentrate on keeping his feet. He could feel his strength slowly being sapped from his body, and he knew that Death drew ever nearer. Even amid impending death, the Spartan King gave a short chuckle as the enemy closed in around him. With a final roar, Leonidas would expend the last of his strength, taking out another 5 Persian soldiers before the light would fade from his eyes and he was met with darkness.

The darkness did not hold the Spartan King for long. At least that is what it felt like to him. One moment his eyes perceived only darkness. The next he was looking up into a clear bright sky. He feels grass and dirt beneath him. A warm wind washing over him. A nearby river babbles.

Looking around, Leonidas sees that he is on a rough dirt road that's been worn out of the ground beside a river. He is surrounded by forest with mountains off in the distance. Is it east? If the sun's position were anything to go by, it would be.

The only thing he knows for certain is this is not Greece. He has known only his homeland all his life, and this place is not home.

He is pulled out of whatever confused musings he has by the sound of an approaching group. Look down (or is it up?) the road, he sees a peculiar thing headed his way. A wagon pulled by horses, driven by a man who whistles a jaunty tune, flanked by a group of four men in leather armor of a fashion he's never seen. This maybe wouldn't be odd, if it did not become immediately apparent that all of these men were under five feet, stout, and muscular.

Seeing him, it's apparent they view him just as odd, as they all stop and the four men form ranks before the wagon with their axes at the ready. The driver furrows his brow, and says "Away from the road or be moved away!"(In Dwarvish) but Leonidas does not recognize the language in the slightest. It is rough for sure, terse in tone.

Leonidas was now more confused as he stood with shield and spear in hand, looking at these men with muscular physiques and yet the height of children. It was safe to say the King was still trying to gather what this all was. However, Leonidas took tell from the wagon rider's demeanor that he was expected to move from blocking their path. The language, as foreign to him as the people, he opted to simply take a few steps from the road. He wouldn't gain anything from starting a fight with these small men, and he figured it best to perhaps follow them to where they were going, seeing as they clearly had a destination in mind.

"Not that you'll be able to understand me," he began as he stepped to the side of the road, "but I plan to follow you to where you're going. I'm a bit lost here, so don't mind me." (In Macedonian)

He opted to try for non-verbal communication to get the point across. He tapped his fist to his chest, both nodding and non-threateningly pointing his spear toward the group, and then toward the way they were heading. He had only been wherever this was for a what felt like a few minutes, and he was already being forced to communicate with people that didn't speak his language. It seemed like a stretch, but he had a feeling that things would work themselves out.

"I think myself capable as a fencer." Genessa answers watching the next pair of fencers take the stage. "Not many women who take up the sword in our kingdoms. Particularly the daughters of nobles, like myself, even when we can afford the lessons." She makes a 'hmm?' sound and takes the Seer Orb from her pocket, peers into it. The ball flickers slightly with the faint image of eyes and dark hair, then clears to be as glass again. "Huh. Was hoping it was a report from Charlan, but it must have activated by accident. Happens often." She returns the orb to her pocket and claps as the next match is announced between Gorel of Gatecia and Hal of Linia.

-------------

At the competition grounds, the official tries his best to write down Grimm' homeland. He then answers "Well sir these are the competition grounds, but we are not holding a 'competition' as normal. This is an exhibition, a display of skill with no prize at stake." He points to where other archers and crossbowmen had gathered. "If you are becoming accustomed to a new weapon, then I think no better way or time. We will have stationary and moving targets, to properly test man and weapon."

-------------

Meanwhile,

The dwarves follow the motions of Leonidas, and they have none of the effect he desires. The driver waves frantically as he says "No! Strangers are not welcome among us! Follow and be hacked to death!" He tugs the reigns to get the horses going, and the guards advance before them without breaking ranks or taking their eyes off Leonidas, as if daring him to follow as they pass.

Then there is a loud, shril sound from both sides of the river that startles the dwarves and horses. The horses whinny and rear up before taking off at a full gallop. The driver tries to regain control, but cannot as the horses trample over the equally startled guards. Some of the guards are quickly silenced by the hooves of the horses and fall to the ground limp.

Before the wagon can be pulled far, the horses are downed by a hail of arrows that come out from the woods. The contents of the wagon (Barrels and crates) topple onto the road same as the horses and the driver is thrown into the river, quickly being pulled in by the current.

The shrill sound stops abruptly, and six men more like Leonidas come out from the woods. They are dirty, unshaven, and clad in suits of leaves that have served as camoflage. They unshearth short iron swords as they advance, uttering a wailing battle cry.

Reactions: WanderingWriter
Richard Francis Burton

Burton watched the fencers with interest, old rusty skill quickly being remembered.

" Genessa, I would welcome the chance to practice. Women fencers are as rare in my home society as they seem to be here. Moreso in the lands of Islam, the Orient or the dark continent of Africa. I try not to make judgement on a person based on gender, rather preferring to look at merit. "

He watches her use the orb.

" That a communication device ?"

"Edea Qiris."

Only about 15 feet from Grim a woman stands speaking to the another of the officials. He jots down her name upon the parchment as she looks around slowly, curiously. But her face is hidden behind a mask, it pulled up over her nose. She is wearing a stylized cloak and leather armor under, 3 small knives tucked into her belt. "And nation of origin, miss?

"Gatecia… Redhost." The official nods and writes that down quickly also, chuckling softly as he responds to her. "Oh, another Redhost? My brother in law lives there. He owns a little eatery… they have the best soups there." She speaks once more, her eyes still scanning the small gathered crowd. "Crowleys?" Her eyes drawing to the official as he nods with a snap of his fingers. "That's the one! Well then… welcome to Gatecia! If you have any questions, just flag one of us down." She nods as she now starts to move away from him "Thank you, sir."

Her cloak flows rhythmically with her confident stride, and she reaches over her shoulder to adjust the bow slung there. It's a very… unique… bow. It almost looks like it was strung together branches and vines… but that's just the look of it. It's clearly a very powerful bow. Her eyes linger upon Grim as she moves in his general direction… his garb is most unusual. And the place he said he was from… there is no such place on this world… curiouser and curiouser. While she wasn't terribly close to him when he spoke of where he was from, it seems she has really good hearing. Despite her hood being drawn up.

But finally, she stops staring at him to look towards some that have begun the exhibition itself. Archers and crossbowmen alike firing at the different targets. Different ranges, differing materials, some stationary and some not. Her hands rest upon the leather belt she wears, her brown eyes half open as she appreciates the various weapons and skill upon display…

Reactions: Dunruffle
The sudden attack didn't so much startle the Spartan, as much as it made him grateful for not standing among them. The attack was swift and nearly wiped out all the small men. The Spartan King raised his shield to prepare to deal with those that had attacked, but paused for a moment as 6 men of his size came out of the brush. Leonidas breathed a sigh of relief that there were still men of his height in this world, however, these 6 would soon no longer be a part of it. He may not have known where he was, but he felt that these were not the people to ask for directions.

As they pulled their swords and let out their battle cry, Leonidas was already in the middle of throwing his spear. It was a craft that those like him and perfected, and as such, the spear found its purchase, through head of one of the 6. Leonidas let out his own warrior's roar as he charged into action. The death of one of the men pulled their attention toward the charging King, and this is exactly what he wanted. It hadn't been long since he was fighting the Persians, and his blood began to boil as he recalled the traitor who had led to his men deaths.

These men weren't the Immortals nor Persian soldiers, and as such, they were but a warm-up for the king, who had seen many a battle. The sound of iron clashing with steel and clanging against his shield echoed through the air with the grunts of men trying to kill the King. He didn't relent in his fighting back either, the next falling prey to a sword through the throat, another was stabbed first in the foot and then found a sword slashing through his face as he bent over in pain. The remaining 3 encircled him, attempting to attack from every angle, however, Leonidas was not one to be cornered and taken down like this. He charged at the one behind him, blocked his initial attack and planted a hard kick into the man's chest, sending him toppling end over end. The other two had moved in and Leonidas dealt with them both rather quickly; blocking the swing of one with his shield and using his sword for the other, then bringing his shield into the side of the head of one on his sword hand side, while plunging his sword into the chest of the one on his shield hand side. The stunned one was quickly dealt with, a sword shoved through his back. As his body hit the ground, Leonidas retrieved his spear while looking at the one he had kicked. The man seemed a bit hesitant, and Leonidas sheathed his blade, deciding to kill this one with the thrust of his spear, even deciding to place his shield down.

Both men gave out their war cry and charged, however, the camouflaged man was the one who found himself staring up at the sky choking on the blood that gushed from the wound in his neck. Leonidas felt no hatred for these men for he knew nothing about them, but he couldn't risk being killed by strangers when he had yet to find out where he was or what he was doing here. He turned to see if any of the smaller men survived, hoping that perhaps this scene would make them more susceptible to helping him.

Grimm stood up and wandered over to the archery range. Picking a lane on the far end away from the main crowd, Grimm grumbled as he loaded his new crossbow. "Damn sun...too hot...too noisy..." muttering to himself, Grimm wiped a bead of sweat from his brow as he aimed his weapon. Pulling the trigger, the bolt shot out with a heavy twang and embedded itself almost completely into the wooden target.

Of course the bolt barely hit the edge of the target, but Grimm was more focused on getting used to his new ranged weapon to care about accuracy. Holding the crossbow in on hand, Grimm pulled back the cable with the other hand. Reloading a crossbow is not easy, hence the reason why most crossbows have a foot stirrup on the front for holding it down with a foot to use both hands. But on the hunt, Grimm trained himself to be able to draw back a crossbow cable one handed to increase reload speed. What the Scandinavian hunter lacked in finesse, he more than made up for with pure force.

Firing the crossbow several more times, Grimm's shots began to gradually get closer to the bullseye. Of course working hard in the sun wearing heavy leather armor only made Grimm more irritable, but he was too stubborn to take off his armor and admit that the sun had beaten him. His black hair and beard were glistening with sweat as Grimm fired another bolt, just missing the bullseye. Cursing in his native tongue, Grimm gave the wooden target a glare that could melt ice.

@Ms.Ezra

The cloaked woman watches as the archers lay into target after target. Some brag about their feats, others express jealousy. They tell each other of their weapons… the stories behind them… the things they have seen. The lives they have ended with said weapons.

But none of this is of interest to Edea. She doesn't see killing as something to brag about.

But what is of interest to her is the man trying out a crossbow. She watches as Grimm moves off, her arms folded under one another under her cloak. She doesn't know about him, but he has to be hot in that armor. Everyone around her, at most, wears simple light armor. As she does, very light leathers. And her cloak is very light also. Clearly not a hunting cloak… but one that does the job.

As Grimm reloads the crossbow over and over, Edea has moved in his general direction absently. She isn't trying to be sneaky, but she also isn't trying to be obvious. Or annoying. But as he moves closer to him… a couple guards walk passed Grimm, and then passed her. They wear light metal armor, it shimmering in the sun. They both carry spears, and both are of the Zylrel race. The 'elf' looking race of this world. But as they pass Edea, her hand comes up and she discretely tugs on the front of her hood. As if to keep her eyes from being seen. But the men don't seem to notice her, they are too busy watching the archers work.

She glances over her shoulder towards them once more to make sure they haven't taken notice of her… and she then stops not terribly far from Grimm. She stands a few feet behind him, her hands folded behind her back. A small smile finds its way onto her lips behind the mask she wears as he curses at the target he barely missed. And as he reloads once more… her voice comes forth in a calmed tone. She speaks only loud enough for Grimm to hear… "You are a man from the Earth, yes? That is what you are called, a man?" Her head tilting a little to one side as she watches him.

• Love
"That is a Seer Orb. It's how we and the nations keep in contact." Genessa purses her lips slightly as she considers his offer. "It has been a while since I've had proper practice. Maybe back at the Guild we can set up something." She affirms. The current match ends with a win for the fencer from Linia, which Genessa applauds with as much gusto as she had her fellow Gatecian. The announcer comes center stage and projects out to the audience "We will resume the exhibition in an hour! Go forth, and when you return we will have more contenders!" The audience claps and the crowd starts to dissipate, but then the announcer spies Genessa near the stage as she is less obscured by other bodies and raises his hand excitedly.

"Wait! Wait! We have had....a royal audience! If my eyes do not decieve me, that is the future Countess Orlok!" The announcer bows in her direction, and suddenly many around Genessa likewise cheer then bow. The young woman forces a smile and gives a practiced slow wave around to everyone. "Will you return for the next round my lady?" The announcer asks.

"I am, as you can see-" She indicates her uniform for emphasis "-a member of the Red Shield Guild, and as such my duties may take me elsewhere. But as a lover of fencing, I will return." She answers and many nod in acknowledgement.

"You heard her ladies and gents! All the more reason to return!"

Genessa leads Burton away from the stage at a brisk pace, sighing and saying to the man. "That was embarassing. I do apologize for not sharing that fact of my life, but in light of Mr. Man's feelings in regard to nobles I became more hesitant to share than normal." She shrugs and talks as they walk. "People make it seem more than it is. The Orloks have a manor, and acres of vineyard that produces a fine wine. It's the parties, I think. Count Orlok's parties are quite the spectacle."

---------------------------

None of the Dwarven men survived being trampled by the horses. Their bodies lie motionless on the ground same as the men Leonidas has slain. The man hears rustling in the forest, whispered conversation, and movement away from the scene. The archers who had assailed the party of Dwarves, witnessing their comrades beaten so soundly, have turned tail and are making their escape.

There are five in total, dressed similarly in leaf camoflouge cloaks but holding bows and quivers on their back. They scatter in different directions, with one taking a hill and readying a bow to cover the escape of his comrades should Leonidas choose to pursue them for answers.

Reactions: WanderingWriter
Richard Francis Burton

Burton notes to himself, that the House of Orlock is well liked by these people. In his mind, this is a very good thing.

" I am thinking, perhaps I should have local clothes made. It might be a good thing to no look so much like a stranger. What do you think ?" And yes, we should make a point to shake the rust off our fencing skills. "

Burton followed Genessa into the Marketplace.

@Dunruffle @Ms.Ezra

Grimm was in the middle of reloading his crossbow when a feminine voice called out to him. Growling in annoyance, Grimm turned around to attempt to make the observer leave him alone. "Yes I am a man. I would think it is pretty obvious. Do you not have other men here?" He pointed to the other human archers then scrutinized the mysterious woman. "If you are only going to say what you see then leave me be. Talking with those who hide their faces never ends well. If you have something to hide I do not want any part of it."

Glaring at the hooded figure, Grimm grabbed a dirty rag and wiped the sweat off his face. "I am sure there are more skilled and talented men here. I just want to practice away from the noise. Unless you can make this damned heat go away I have nothing more to say." Grimm turned around and fired another bolt but something surprising happened. While Grimm was focused on aiming he failed to notice the very subtle glow on the head of the bolt. When the bolt hit the wooden target it punched clear through it and buried itself completely in the dirt. Blinking in surprise, Grimm simply shrugged and searched for more ammunition.

@Camleen

As tough guy Grim turns, the cloaked woman seems unflinching in her gaze of him. Her big brown eyes meet his as he turns, seeming to study them as he speaks. When he motions to the other 'men', she looks along them. They are all clad in garb that one would expect in this place. Robes and tunics showing their profession, showing their prizes, showing their weapons and gears. The garb they wear is significant, if you know what to look for. Maybe Grim would notice, maybe not, but she seems to have a faint accent. An English accent, maybe? Barely perceivable, but there.

"No, I don't see any other men here." She looks back to Grim, her head tilting to one side. "I see many Maleese. I see many male Maleese." she points towards the line of archers "And a female Maleese. I should have been more specific… human." Her hand falls once more under her ornate cloak.

And when he dismisses her, that only causes her to step closer to him. And with this sentiment, she reaches up and pulls her mask down, keeping her hood drawn up. With seeing just her face, she looks like nothing more than a human girl. Well… it would be Maleese girl in this world and all. She is clearly young, if she were human perhaps in her late teens. She smiles now at him, a few locks peaking out from under her cloak. "I don't have the power to make the heat go away... but you could always get something lighter to wear… something with less fur? There is gear available here… especially around this time." Her head tilts to one side as she watches him still with a smile "Or are you a man to stubborn to do that?" She isnt' trying to be a smartass, her tone is sincere and there isn't a hint of patronizing in it.

Her eyes continue to follow his actions with curousity… and she does indeed notice the tip of the bolt glowing softly. Her eyes widen and she takes a quick step back, her hand reaching for a dagger at her belt. Edea ducks a little as the bolt kind of demolishes the target, and she looks back towards Grim. She stands slowly, her hand moving from her dagger as she speaks softly. "So you are a Stranger… and with all your ilk, you have paranormal abilities." She takes another small step back as she watches him. "Then you are of the Earth… and if you are here in this city, then the Red Shield Guild has no doubt found you, yes?" And with that, she takes a couple steps closer to him. Recovering the steps of surprise from earlier. "Do you have any idea what just happened? How you did that? It was no magic, I have seen magic." She says with a nod, her hands now folding behind her back under her cloak. With that last part, she almost seems to be bragging. "I've met a few Strangers… I like to help them if I can." She nods again, her smile widening as she stands near him. Stands, lurks… same thing, right?

Last edited:
Grimm huffed as the girl continued to pester him. "It does not matter that I am from somewhere else. I was given a second chance and I intend to not repeat the mistakes I made in my past life." Looking over, Grimm examined her young face and shrugged. "I prefer my own clothes. Why discard my armor for something that would not protect me from a sharp stick? If it means that I have to suffer in this heat so be it."

Sitting down on a nearby log, Grimm stared at the jagged hole in the wooden target. "People keep calling me a Stranger so I guess I am one. As for the Red Shield, yes I have made a contract with Genessa of Red to assist her when needed." Taking out his skinning knife and a whetstone, Grimm began idly sharpening the blade. "I do not know how my...powers work or what causes them. It is as much of a mystery to me as it is to you." Testing the tip of his knife with a finger, Grimm looked up at the mysterious girl. "Who are these other Strangers you have met? And how did you help them?"

@Camleen

Leonidas stood, staring at the scene before him. He had taken care of the attackers, whom had also taken care of the tiny men, the horses having done their part as well. He, alone, stood among the dead, frustrated that he was getting no answers from dead men. As he heard the movement in the forest, he was reminded of the archers, his eyes gazing at the tree line. The noise was scattered, which meant that they were fleeing in all directions, and also meant that he'd be able to halt one, if he was fast enough.

The Spartan King took over toward the trees, heading in the direction of what he assumed to be the nearest archer to him. He huffed with a grimace on his face as he began to duck low branches and vault over upturned roots, he didn't like the fact that he was having to chase down people to gather information, but he hoped that he'd get something from someone. He knew men seemed to talk when their lives were on the line, so he was betting on that, he just hoped that they'd understand his words, unlike the small men.

Just as Leonidas came from around a particularly large tree, where he could see a hill beyond, he raised his shield. There was an immediate *Ting*, as an arrow ricocheted off the shield. There had been a feeling in his head that perhaps he was running into a possible trap or ambush, but as he peered to see his assailant, all he saw was a lone archer, dressed like the men he put down, standing at the top of the hill. Clearly, this man had stayed behind to afford his companions a means of escape.

This only meant that he was going to be the one to serve the king's purpose. The archer may have had the higher ground, but he was but one man against a Spartan, hardly a fair match-up. Leonidas quickly advanced toward the archer, readying his shield for any possible attack, but being ready to vault his spear at the archer's leg should he decide to run. Leonidas had locked on to his target, and he had no intentions of letting this opportunity escape his grasp.

@Ms.Ezra

A small smile remains upon the lips of the girl as she watches Grim, as he struggles to fight her little suggestions. "Are there many here around us threatening to poke you with a sharp stick? I think you would be quite safe within the city walls, good hu-man. Except from the heat." She sits down in front of him on the ground, about 8 feet away. Keeping her distance, but close enough to observe. Her legs cross lotus style, and her hands rest on her knees as she speaks in a light tone.

"Being from the Earth, this is a rare thing. Strangers appear only once every few years." She has a theory about all of that, but she keeps that thought to herself. "So you are indeed unique to our world, sirrah. Quite special, indeed." She nods as she continues to smile to him. Her mind lingers on what he says of the Red Shield… so Orlock's daughter… she is probably here in the city. She wouldn't go far from whatever Stranger her and her organization came acros. But Strangers (in Edea's mind) always appear in threes. So there's 2 more out there… probably still with Red Shield.

Curious how she is so sure of all of this in her mind.

"I've met the Thin White Duke… he is a fascinating hu-man."
She says with a wistful smile, her chin now resting on her upturned hand as she watches Grim. "He has told me tales of your world. Um… Lawn-don… Mars… Swizzerlands…" She sits up a little then "A woman named Joanna, I helped her to get out of Shanem. That was quite the adventure…" She smiles a bit more, clearly enjoying thinking about that.

She now taps her chin as she watches him, her head tilted a little to one side. "But if you're here… and the Red Shield is with you… then I don't think you would need my help for anything, sirrah." She motions to his weapon then "You're clearly adept with your chosen weapon. In time you'll learn more about your ability. The only thing you lack is knowledge." She blinks, and makes a 'slow down' motion "I did not mean for that to sound so rude, sirrah. I mean… you know little of this world. You're just naive to it." She blinks again "Well that sounds worse. I mean no disrespect, please…"

"We can make a pass at the tailors then. Our new regular uniforms might be ready by now." She tugs at the lapels of her current uniform. "These are our dress uniforms. Bernard prefers them, but living as a royal has had enough formality."

It is then that Burton and Genessa see soldiers are in the crowd, obviously searching for someone. Genessa stops and says sternly"Those are members of the White Guard. The royal guards of Gatecia and Linia. We have a...less than cordial relationship with them at times. But why are they here?" She steps forward, and the four around take notice of her, coming together. "I am Genessa Orlok of the Red Shield. Is there something I can assist you with?"

The lead guard speaks up. "We have been tasked with escorting Princess Shalana."

Genessa looks around the guard "Princess Shalana? Hmmm. Odd that I can't see her. Have you lost her, perhaps?" She asks neutrally, but there is a small upturn to her lips.

"We have not. She is enjoying the shops and wishes not to be disturbed. Hence why we are out here." The lead guard assures Genessa confidently.

"My apologies Captain. I will leave you to your duties then." Genessa waves as the two walk around the guards and they pretend to not be resuming their search, but browsing about. Once out of earshot, Genessa says to Burton. "Princess Shalana is the daughter of King Richard the Third. His only daughter, and thus the heir apparent. Of course the White Guard would never admit to losing her, even if it's an open secret in royal circles that she likes to evade her guards for alone time." She laughs admonishingly. "Shalana will be fine. She's about my age and more than capable."

--------------------------------

The lone archer tosses his bow aside, and unsheathes a scimitar. In Macedonian, he yells "Triumph of the will!" before charging Leonidas with an animalistic yell.

Given that this man foolishly faces alone one man who felled most of the party to have come upon him, it will be no hard task for Leonidas to bring him to his back without fatal injury.[/bimg]

Last edited by a moderator:
Richard Francis Burton

Burton trailed along with Genessa content for the moment.

" You know my Lady, while I am content at the moment to be your Ally and quite friendly to who and what the Red Shield seems to be, I am not quite as yet a member. Our negotiations as I recall have... been interrupted. "

He does watch as the elite white guard seem to be searching about and their ridiculous excuse.

" I expect if she's anything like you, she's quite the handful. "

@Ms.Ezra