QHAWEhW.jpg

Character Index

M

Ms.Ezra

Original poster
QHAWEhW.jpg

249eb08685d9c3dc3cf271900993c8cb.jpg

Even with the addition of the complications from yesterday, the day starts like any other for Genessa and Bernard. The Senior Operative sits at her desk, finishing up the last section of her report about yesterday's events while the Junior (yet older) Operative is out gathering supplies in the market as it opens.

The city of Doren itself is just waking up as well. In the market square, shopkeepers are just opening their doors. The air is filling with the smell of baking, cooking, and metalwork as the business day begins.

Bernard pulls a small wooden wagon behind him as he enters the market square with a list in his free hand. He looks rather happy, for someone doing something so mundane as shopping. He comes to the baked goods vendor first, and the portly man greets him by name "Bernard my good friend!"

"Good morning! The usual, please." Bernard drops a couple gold coins in the mans hand, only for one of them to be flicked back. "No no no...."

"Bernard! I keep telling you, it weighs too much on me to make you pay full price." The man chuckles and starts wrapping some pastries in paper with his back to Bernard, who begrudgingly pockets the coin and surveys the rest of the market. He sees many familiar faces, but looks for the Richard from the other day in the sea of familiarity.

@Gands @Dunruffle

Reactions: Dunruffle
Sir Richard

Burton had taken his day to walk around town, get himself an Inn room and simply talk to people. Learn about this place, about it's people. Studying it really. He was happy to be in this place. The people seemed genuine.

The economy seemed to be based on gold and the dragon scales. He wouldn't last long in town based on that. He judiciously bought a couple of small things in the market place as he browsed, mostly to reward merchants who were particularly friendly.

@Ms.Ezra

Last edited by a moderator:
Grim yawned as he sat up from the cot in the headquarters building. Even a simple bed like the one he was provided was far better than his sleeping conditions in the past. Donning some simple trousers and a shirt Bernard had given him, Grim set out to find Genessa. The next few hours were eye opening for Grim. Coming from a medieval era tundra, Grim was fascinated by the various things he came across. Wandering about the town, Grim mostly focused on visiting places that he could learn from. Blacksmiths to learn the differences in various metals and their qualities. A clothier to see how he might be able to improve his armor. He also made sure to establish a good relationship with the various food merchants, particularly the ones specializing in hunted game. At first the merchants were wary of the stranger. But after Grim revealed his knowledge of hunting and wilderness cooking, several merchants were intrigued or impressed enough to share their knowledge of various game and how to skin/prepare them.

Now armed with the knowledge of what he could use and learn from, Grim was ready to negotiate the price for his services. Returning to the headquarters building, Grim wandered the various halls until he eventually found Genessa. Stepping into the room, Grim bowed slightly to Genessa. "Genessa of Red, I have come to negotiate the price for my loyalty and skills. When would be a decent time to discuss these matters?" He waited passively for her response.

@Ms.Ezra

[ Bernard ]​

Bernard spots Richard in the crowd, and waves his right arm to catch the man's attention. "Mr. Richard! Over here!"

When the man comes over, Bernard gives the man a wide smile and a handshake "Good morning, good sir! I hope you slept well."

The vendor turns around and, seeing the other man being greeted so warmly by his friends, also gives the man a warm welcome "Oh-ho! Bernard, the man of many friends! What's your name, good fellow?" He asks while reaching over to gently drop the wrapped pastries in Bernard's cart.

[ Genessa ]
Her first thought when Grim comes in is to respectfully correct him again on her proper address, but Genessa lets it go and smiles instead while finishing the last words of her report before looking up at him.

"Mr. Grim, I'm glad you're ready to discuss the matter. I again apologize if last night I offended you by offering you dragon scales. It's not often that I encounter someone who is not swayed by money. Now, if you would please elaborate for me what you would like from us, for your skills." She sits back in her chair, hands folded in front of her on the table, ready to hear the man out.

Sir Richard

Burton, having a pleasant morning after a deep sleep and a pleasant breakfast saunters over to say good morning to Bernard.

"Good morning Bernard, I had a pleasant sleep at the Boars Head inn ! And a good day yourself sir, I am Richard Francis Burton ! "

This while shaking Bernard's hand.

@Camleen @Ms.Ezra @Dunruffle

Grim nodded and pulled out a piece of parchment with various scribbles on it. Clearly Grim did not know how to write. "I would like several things. First, a new hunting bag. Do your people know magics to make the bag waterproof? If so I would request that to be added. Second, my crossbow and arrows are made from cheap materials. I want my crossbow reinforced with a high quality metal, whatever is most affordable. Along with that, I would request thirty crossbow bolts of good quality. Lastly, I ask for new boots. They should be sturdy, but light enough for silent movement, and waterproof as well."

Crumpling the parchment, Grim gave a slight bow. "These items are my price...for now. Should I decide to abandon our agreement, I will repay all that I owe. So for now I do not want to bury myself in debt." Grim turned around to leave but stopped and turned back to Genessa. "I almost forgot. Could you enlighten me on the creatures of this land? If you cannot, could you tell me of someone who can?"

@Ms.Ezra

Genessa puts up a finger for each item Grim brings up, commiting them to memory. None of them are unreasonable, she feels. In fact they were very practical and very easy for them to procure. She stands from her chair when it looks like he is about to leave and is presented with one more question.

"We are more than happy to provide you with these items, and if you will follow me, I believe the armory will have some of what you are requesting. Come." She walks past Grim and brings him to the armory. In the back, past the weapons and armor, she opens one of the large trunks with equipment against the wall. There are several bags, but she moves them aside to pull out one made from a hide Grim would not recognize. It appears to be from some kind of reptile, dark blue in color, and slick to the touch. She holds it out for him. "Magic is not common as you might think, but this bag is waterproof as it's made from a sea serpent. Reasonably sturdy, will serve you well."

Next Genessa beckons for Grim to follow her across the room to a wall of hanging crossbows. "Have your pick Mr. Man." She presents it with one hand and big smile. There is a crossbow from the same age as his original, but of better quality. One that was more ornate, with a mechanism to pull the string back. And a heavier variant than the rest.

==============================
"Not from around, are ya? Well, if yer Bernie's friend, ya must be a good man. Hope you're enjoying the festival." The baked goods merchant states and is approached by a customer, whom he welcomes just warmly.

Bernard shakes his hand, and says to Richard "Ah yes, you would probably like to know what all this is about." He gestures around at the tents that were erected the other day, and the stage. "Well, how about we walk and talk?" Bernard starts walking to the next stall. "This is the second day of the Liberation Festival, when citizens across Gatecia and Linia celebrate the momentous occasion wherein the Brother Kings compelled the former sovereigns to surrender their thrones, ending decades of strife as they warred with each other." He puts his hand over his heart. "I was a younger man then in the infantry, waiting to be deployed, when the messenger came and delivered the orders to instead meet our new Linian allies. Though we are two seperate nations, we celebrate our peace and brotherhood with three days of music, dance, and plays."

• Love
"A fine thing to have celebrations Bernard ! Relatives of your kings spent many years and lives fighting over a crown in England" I have real hope your people here are wiser for their struggles. "

Burton said this while walking and his tone was relatively cheerful. It was, he thought a fine thing that these people could celebrate. Still, part of his mind thought of Dean, and Joan of Arc.

@Ms.Ezra

Grim followed Genessa to the armory and listened as she described the bag she gave him. Testing its durability, Grim was surprised that the material was could slightly stretch but not rip or tear. "This bag will be useful." He then followed her over to the crossbows and after a minute of inspecting each one he chose the first. "I will take this one, the second is too flashy and the third is too heavy." Now holding both items, he looked at Genessa. "These items will serve me well, do you have the type of boots I described?"

Bernard laughs and gives Burton a light slap on the shoulder "I'm afraid you're quite mistaken, but it's a forgiveable error since you're new. The Brother Kings are native sons." He subtly looks around, for someone he doesn't find, then leans closer to Burton and whispers "Sir. That is a very dangerous idea to put forth. We can discuss the why later, but for now, for your safety and mine please refrain from comments like that."

After coming away from Burton, Bernard resumes his cheerful smile as they come to the water merchant stand and he barters for three small casks of water. "Only a couple more things, and back to the guild." Bernard says as he leads the way through the crowd, waving now and then at seemingly random people. They come away from the rabble of the market square to the artisan shops near the guild building, to the cobbler's shop. "Hellow Sir. I'm here for our order." Bernard announces as they enter. The cobbler claps once, and disappears behind a door to supposedly retrieve the guild's order.

@Gands
===========================
"We do not at the moment, but Bernard should be coming shortly with our order from the cobbler. In the meantime, I will inform you of our fauna. Follow me, please." Genessa leads Grim out of the armory and back to her office, where she takes out several scrolls from her cabinets and rolls one out on her desk.

"From what we've gathered, there are many similar animal species here that can be found on your world. Rabbits, birds, and the like. But there are several more that would be 'exotic' or even fantastical. Such as this critter." She points to an ink drawing of what appears to be a hare with small straight horns. "The Horned Hare is rather common in plains, forest terrains. Unlike their cousins, they will fight if cornered. The horns are small but sharp, and they move quite fast. Like tiny furry darts." She rolls out the scroll a little more, and points to another animal that is much the opposite of the Horned Hare. "This one now, is only dangerous if you threaten their nests or when encountered in a starved state. Nocturnal hunters, found in ranges across the Southeast forests. A favorite for trophy hunters, and for their very sturdy fathers and claws. Meat is...an acquired taste." Genessa grimaces and proceeds to another scroll, allowing some quiet for answers between.

@Dunruffle

Sir Richard

Burton listened attentively while Bernard seemed to try and cover up something. He, Burton, maintained a cheerful demeanor throughout.

Did the regular folk of this and the other pleasant kingdom in fact not know the brothers were from England ? Is this an indicator of trouble in paradise ?

Grim followed Genessa back to her office and watched with interest as several scrolls were laid out before him. Listening intently, Grim stroked his chin as he pondered possible hunting strategies. "Genessa of Red, are there animals that prey on villagers? Where I am from usually the only dangerous animals were wolves. Are there animals or...monsters that hunt and eat only people? If there are such beasts I would like to learn more in case I am asked to hunt one."

@Ms.Ezra

After receiving his small crate of boots, Bernard and Richard go further down the street and into the Red Shield Guild. Inside the main area, Bernard turns to Richard and speaks to him in a worried manner. "Mr. Burton, I am sorry for the cloak and dagger, but you have come to a revelation that is rather....dangerous. You see sir, when the Bowie Report was being compiled, there were some things not included in the main scroll. Chief among them, was Mr. Bowie's revelation that the Kings are from your world. He was also of your England, and familar with the white rose they use as their regnal emblem. It should go without saying, that this makes their legitimacy less than well, legitimate, as they've presented themselves as native sons." Bernard pauses, looks to the door as if expecting someone to come in any moment, then resumes. "This information is very private, never to be written, only shared between trustworthy people. Senior Orlock, myself, and two other high-ranking members of Red Shield are the only ones with this knowledge. It has, somehow, either been leaked or found out by others outside the guild, and I'm sad to say all met unfortunate ends."

Meanwhile up in the office, Genessa nods and opens the other scroll for Grim. "Indeed there are a few animals like that. Personally, I think this one is the gravest threat." She points at the sketch of a truly monstrous animal. "This, is the Manticore. It lures its prey with its ability to mimic wounded animals, and human speech. Has the standardly gruesome teeth, claws, but also a poisonous stinger on its tail. I'm told the venom causes full body paralysis within minutes. I've never encountered it myself, but our field operatives report here below that it has much the same vulnerabilities as any predator. It is very intelligent, and very fast. Operatives recommend fire to ward it off, and ground traps to get it in the vulnerable belly." When she's finished explaining, they hear the arrival of Bernard downstairs and the hushed conversation. "Well then, that would be Bernard with the boots. Let's get those out of the way, then maybe we can get you two on a mission."

Genessa and Grim come down and through the door just as Bernard has finished telling Richard about the Brother Kings. Reading her fellow guildmate, Genessa asks "Everything okay boys?" with her brow up and arms crossed.

"Yes. Maybe, miss." Bernard answers nervously, dropping the handle for the wagon of food and other goods to scratch his temple "It seems Mr. Burton has come to...the secret."

Genessa looks surprised "Oh my. " She sighs, and directs her attention to Richard. "Mr. Burton. Who do you believe our Kings to be?" She asks, wanting to confirm the depth of what he knew before proceeding.

@Gands @Dunruffle

Sir Richard Burton

Burton looked at Genessa with a dubious expression.

" Well now, you know by now (( he looked pointedly at each of them )) that your city symbol is ( pauses ) very similar to one from my world and specifically from my Kingdom. It represents one of two factions in an English civil war. During said civil war..( pauses ) rumor had it, that two young boys, one about thirteen, the other ten... One had a legitimate claim to the crown, the other his younger brother...were captured and held prisoner.It isn't known exactly what happened to said boys...while the circumstancial evidence here is certainly enough to.. suspect.. for any learned person of English birth. It is not certainly enough to call into question Royal birth or perogative. Does that represent the situation well enough "?

@Ms.Ezra @Camleen @Dunruffle

Grimm nodded along as Genessa described the manticore. "A fearsome beast indeed. Much more deadly than anything back home, when the time comes I will relish the challenge of bringing back it's head." Following Genessa downstairs, Grim folded his arms and frowned as Burton explained what he had discovered. After digesting the information and thinking it over, Grim spat on the ground in disgust.

"Of course, the damned politics of royalty spread like a plague even in this world. I will have nothing to do with them, getting involved with those of high birth only brings trouble. At first I thought this world was a chance to start anew, but I see now that this world is a test to my conviction."

@Ms.Ezra

Genessa rubs the bridge of her nose. "So you do know. Lovely." She beckons them all to follow her "Come on, we have a couple matters to discuss in my office while Bernard stocks up. Speaking of which, Mr. Grimm will be needing one set of those boots." She says and Bernard gives Grim the small crate of boots. "Your pick sir, all are new and waterproofed as is standard for our gear."

Back up in her office, Genessa neglects to roll up the scrolls as she figures later on she would catch up both of them, and she might as well keep them out for that purpose. Or Mr. Burton would just like to peruse them himself, curious fellow he was. She reclines in her chair, sighs "You must understand, that while the evidence is circumstancial of course, our world is not much different in the regards of royalty not tolerating any challenge to their reigns. Yes, the Brother Kings, however they did it, have done many good things for the world. But the fact remains that they began their reign on a lie; that creates room for others to challenge their credibility, and so their authority." She then looks at Mr. Grim "I understand you have sworn off royals after an unfortunate dealing, but I must come out and say that one of our patrons is Queen Ceronna, the wife of King Richard III, or the Rose Queen as she's come to be called. She does little more than send emissaries to ensure we are conducting ourselves in a proper manner, chiefly that we treat people like yourselves well. " She takes a deep breath, leans forward and appears hopeful as she continues "For the sake of stability of our kingdoms, can I trust that you two will not let this secret leave the Guild? I of course cannot stop you or punish you for not, but I implore you. I can only ask you do not, as this could very well rekindle the strife that destroyed or tainted lives before the Kings did whatever they did to stop it."

Sir Richard Burton

Burton looked back at Genessa with relatively thoughtful expression.

"My lady, I do not make a habit of disguising the truth. But if asked, I can in this instance say I don't know. I will say, that this would seem to make the situation, shall we say, delicate ? There will be more strangers, some of them English.".

He leaned back, looked over at Grimm and back to Genessa.

"Does the Red Shield work within both Kingdoms, and perhaps others ? What of other lands in this place ? I certainly would like to know more ! What say you Grimm ?

@Ms.Ezra @Camleen @Dunruffle

After perusing the contents of the crate, Grim plucked a pair of boots out and followed Genessa. Back in the office, Grim frowned at the revelation of the Rose Guild's patron. "As long as I am not being ordered about by her directly I suppose I can tolerate her patronage. As for this secret I will not tell a soul, for causing strife and unrest is not a goal of mine." Listening to Burton, Grim stroked his beard thoughtfully. "I did not think of that, but Burton does make a good point. Are we expected to be loyal to this kingdom and guild and only work for you? Or are we able to accept tasks from anyone?"

@Ms.Ezra

Genessa sighs, relieved. "Thank you very much, both of you." She thanks them first, then goes on to their questions.

"Red Shield occupies an admittedly odd place in both kingdoms and the world at large. Officially, we are sanctioned and chartered by all nations to operate in their territories under their laws, and while as I said the Rose Queen offers funding for certain provisions, we are not a part of any Royal Army or the like, only subject to its laws. Also officially, neither of you have taken our oath and therefore I cannot say you cannot go and make your own way in this world Explore it, make your own living arrangements." She raises her pointer finger "With...the understanding that if you engage in certain activities, Red Shield is duty bound to intervene and execute the Protect portion of our motto. The activities in question, are as such. "

Genessa wiggles her index finger. "Number one. The 'Danger' Clause as it's been called, states that any act of aggression or covert activity against natural citizens of our world will be met with detention and a trial to determine if you pose an ongoing danger to others."

She raises her middle finger "Number two, clarification of the first is that you must learn and comply with the laws of any nation you find yourself in. Violation of such laws will not permit a response from us as harsh as the first, but a response nonetheless."

Her bare ring finger is then raised "Third. No Stranger is to seek public office, or attempt to insert themselves into the dynasties of our world by marriage or...other such relations. Most in the populace will not tolerate a Stranger attempting to exert their influence on their affairs, and so this has not been an issue. Save, of course, the sensitive information we just discussed."

For what feels like the upteenth time in the last couple days for Genessa, she takes a deep breath and puts her hands on her desk.

"You know, one does get tired of hearing their own voice quick. For me at least." She turns in her chair and gestures out of the window. "Now. We don't have any open missions as of yet until a field operative reports in, so I say you two should go forth and enjoy the Festival. There are music performances, but for men like Grimm, competitions to test one's marksmanship. Would be a good way to get used to your new crossbow, if you please." She smiles as Grimm and then says to Mr. Burton "You said in your interview you are a man who loves to learn culture. Well this Festival is the best time to sample the cultures of not only Linia and Gatecia, but perhaps compare notes on our martial skills? There is a fencing exhibition scheduled for later today, if you care to join me for that?"

@Gands @Dunruffle

Sir Richard Burton

Burton listened as Genessa discussed "" the rules "" and gave an outline of the Red Guild's delicate position.

" For the record, I have no intention of interfering with any ruler ship or government. Nor am I one of those who seeks out trouble with people. Mind you, it does appear that to wander about by yourself here might indeed be quite dangerous without knowing all the rules. It would be my intention to defend myself if necessary. That being said, I'd love to wander about the festival with you and attend the fencing exhibition. "

@Ms.Ezra @Dunruffle