QHAWEhW.jpg

Character Index

The bolt Grimm fires at the male proves fatal as it cannot dodge with the broken leg it sustained from him earlier. The bolt hits the beast in the torso, and Grimm's power causes said chest to explode as the kinetic energy is expelled into its body. There is a loud yowl, the sickening squishing sound of flesh and bone being rendered apart, and the male Manticore flies back a foot before falling on its side right next to it's recent kill. Genessa holds back a gag at the sight.

"I think escape won't be necessary." She replies and rounds onto the female now, keeping Grimm behind her.

The female sees this after narrowly avoiding being gutted by Burton, and for a moment they see the human face contort in sorrow and anguish before it snaps back into a mask of rage and she produces a terrible new sound from her gaping mouth. It's a wail unlike any of them have heard, that is chilling to Genessa's bones and for the Griffins, hurtful to hear as they squawk and reel back.

Leonidas wants to cover his ears from the sound, but his training prevents him from dropping shield and sword in the midst of battle. He doesn't know these new strange people, but given they're not trying to kill him he considers them at least temporary allies and leaps to the man's side, covering him as he would a fellow Spartan in the phalanx before the female.

The female ends its cry abruptly, and with the Griffins having broken formation, it leaps and bounds away from the now gore and poison-strewn scene. Reggi makes to run after her, but Genessa whistles and he stops obediently.

Genessa stands up from her crouched position and disengages her shield. "They are beasts, but as you have seen they are smart beasts and know when to run." She steps closer to the slain male Manticore. "Well Grimm. Appears you got your wish sooner than thought. Male, prime of life, quite large." She looks over at the corpse it had been feasting on. Barely recognizable already.

Meanwhile Leonidas also rises and relaxes somewhat as he turns on Burton. Through huffing breaths, the old warrior smiles and punches Burton on the shoulder. "Could have used you all at the Hot Gates. You most of all." He says pointing over at Grimm, who is the only one who can understand him since he has the amulet. To Genessa and Burton, it is literally all Greek to them.

Reactions: Dunruffle and Gands
Sir Richard Burton

* In Greek *

"It is said, still, many generations of men since, that the great king Xerxes had urged the Greek soldiers surrender. That the number of their arrows were so vast, they would blot out the sun. It is then said, the reply of the greeks was this...Good, then we will fight in the shade...One last time did Xerxes demand the Spartans .Lay down their arms.. The Spartan King Leonidas said to them ... Come and get them. "

Burton looks at the other man, who is older and quite hale & hearty. Carrying the huge bronze shield of the Spartans.

* In Greek * "I am Richard, this is Genessa and this man is called Grimm. May we ask your name warrior ?"

For purpose of description, Burton too is an older man. Well spoken with his greek, but clearly not his first language. While standing near Leonidas, he puts the small flimsy looking blade back in its scabbard.

@Dunruffle @Ms.Ezra

Reactions: Dunruffle
Grimm blinks in surprise as the male beast is slain by way of exploding chest cavity. He turns to fire at the female but her anguished scream makes him flinch, and by the time he recovers the predator has already made it's escape. Lowering his crossbow, but not putting it away, Grimm turns to warily regard the shield bearing warrior.

"Who are you warrior? You bear weapons and know how to use them, but your garb is not like any I have seen before."

Walking over to the still warm corpse of the male manticore, Grimm puts away his crossbow and pulls out his skinning knife. The sight and smell of the bloody corpse is nothing new to a hunter like Grimm. But for those not experienced with handling the recently deceased the imagery could easily make one lose their lunch. Planting one booted foot on the beast's exposed ribcage, Grimm rolled up his sleeves and reached deep into the still warm guts. Remembering the advice he had gotten from the butchers in town, Grimm eventually ripped the manticore's heart out with a sickening squelch. Inspecting his prize, Grimm looked over his shoulder with an expression like a child receiving a gift. Though the sight was somewhat unnerving as blood covered his arms up to the elbow.

"Burton and Genessa of Red, feel free to come and take the spoils of your victory. The butchers from the market said manticore meat and skin fetch a high price."

@Ms.Ezra

• Love
Reactions: Gands
Leonidas is surprised to hear the other men speak so well to him, elated even. He punches Burton on the shoulder again and laughs "Hah! Another who knows the deeds of my people!" He thumps his chest and introduces himself "I am called King Leonidas, of Sparta."

Genessa, being the only one who is unable to understand the man they had rescued, looks over at him then at Grimm. Who looks the part of his name with that blood on his arms and heart in hand. Genessa is unfazed however as she comes over to the Manticore and kneels down over the open chest cavity.

"Meat and hide are high-priced, but I'm not interested in either." She takes a small glass vial from an inner pocket of her uniform and fills it with the dark blood from the open wound, places it back in the pocket without explaining why. She brings out a knife, shuffles over to the things head and opens its mouth to start extracting the teeth. "These will make a good trophy necklace." She says aloud.

Sir Richard Burton

*In greek *
"Your Majesty, I am called Richard Burton. This is Grimm, this is Lady Genessa. I believe there is much to explain. Can you tell me how long you have been in these lands and who you have met ?"

( in English ) Grimm, can you loan Genessa your Amulet for a moment. ? I believe one of these two men is who we were looking for."

Burton has put away his blade and looks comfortable, unconcerned about Leonidas.

@Ms.Ezra

@Dunruffle

Grimm shrugs and hands the amulet over to Genessa, leaving bloody fingerprints on the gem. Rolling up his sleeves Grimm gets out his game sack and proceeds to get shoulder deep in the manticore's innards. The stench is quickly amplified by the heat of the sun and soon various carrion birds are eagerly circling overhead. After cutting out the prime choices of organs from the beast, Grimm shuffles over to help Genessa in prying out the large teeth.

Once the teeth were extracted, Grimm stands up and absentmindedly wipes the sweat from his forehead. Now with a large smear of dark blood on his face, Grimm takes a few moments to examine the manticore's neck. Grunting to himself in satisfaction, the bearded hunter begins hacking away at the thick corded muscle. Pausing briefly, Grimm calls out to Richard. "Burton, I need your sword to cut off the beast's head." Of course Grimm forgot that without the amulet nobody would understand him.

@Ms.Ezra

Reactions: Ms.Ezra
Genessa finishes gathering the teeth and places them in another pocket of her uniform, and accepts the amulet from Grimm, unfazed by the blood and only holds it so she can listen to the others as they converse, standing and looking over at Leonidas with one hand on her hip.

The king looks at each as they are introduced to him "Burton, Grimm, Lady Genessa." He goes to a nearby tree to set his shield down against it before he also sits back on it. He looks around at the Griffins but still talks to them. "I've only recently come here. I first met a band of strange-shaped men, whom I could not speak with, and then they were attacked. I defended myself, but could do nothing to prevent the death of the others." He points over at the corpse the male had been feasting on. "I caught and spared him, one of the attackers. His name was Belen, and I had compelled him to lead me to civilization when....this happened." He gestures at the general area. The man reclines back and closes his eyes as he relaxes for now, confident he was among allies.

Genessa looks at Leonidas as he points at the corpse, and then at Grimm as he requests Burton's sword. She takes out her baton again "I have a better tool for that." She says and activates the baton again, although this time it does not form a shield but a sword. Leonidas opens his eyes at the peculiar sound the thing makes when it does this, like a low hum. "Step aside, please." She says and swings the blade of red energy down across the Manticor'es neck. Flesh and bone are rended apart easily in that one swing, blood spurting out. Genessa disengages the baton and puts it away again. The woman leaves Grimm to his task and comes down on one knee facing Leonidas; he regards her with raised brows, eyeing where he saw her put the baton.

"Your name again? I was unable to understand you the first time." She holds up the amulet "I can now."

Leonidas groans at having the introduce himself again "I am King Leonidas, of Sparta."

"Oh I see, King Leonidas." Genessa lowers her head in a gesture of respect he recognizes. "Your Majesty, did this Belen betray anything about his master?" She asks.

"Hmm. He had this symbol on his person." He makes the swastika in the air with his finger. "Like the symbols on pots of my homeland, but he said it was 'a symbol of great things to come' or something of the like." He waves off that idea.

Genessa stands up and ponders a bit touching her chin and looking down at the ground, over at the corpse of Belen "I...have seen that symbol in our records. It was on the uniform of a Stranger found a few years ago wandering the wilds. He gave his name as Herman Wagner." She pauses as she tries to recall anything else. "If I recall correctly, he said he had been a lowly soldier of his native Germany fallen in battle. They found nothing peculiar about him after days of obervation, no powers, and rather pleasant, so they let him go off on his own." Genessa shakes her head side to side. "I would need to look at the records again. Perhaps there is more I am forgetting."

Reactions: Dunruffle and Gands
Sir Richard Frances Burton

Burton of course listens to the discourse, watching Genessa carve up the manticore with her enchanted rod.

* in Greek, towards Genessa * " For the record, historically, King Leonidas led a small number of chosen soldiers and a group of allies against a force of Persians many many times the number of his own troops. An act of bravery remembered well over 50 generations of men till my own time. There are many poems and remembrances not so historical that kept the memory of this battle alive over the centuries. But the Greek people and the Romans after them, kept fairly accurate account of the battle. He would be a good ally in my opinion. He will I think need the full explanation though."

Burton remains calm and collected, thinking for a moment about the symbol.

" That symbol is very old in it's origins. The Hindu religion uses it and a sister symbol with the lines pointed the opposite way. In and of itself, I think that one is a good luck symbol. "

@Ms.Ezra @Dunruffle

Grimm blinks in surprise as Genessa transforms the rod into a sword of energy. Admiring how easily it cut through the toughened sinew and bone, Grimm nodded his thanks to Genessa. Picking up the head and examing it, Grimm hummed to himself happily. From a distance the head almost looked like a regular albiet rough looking human male. But on closer inspection, one would notice the rows of jagged teeth, bristly hair, and the inhuman angles of the jaw and forehead.

Setting the head down, Grimm began pulling fistfuls of grass from the ground and stuffing them into the still leaking neck of the head. Once enough grass was shoved in to mostly stop the blood and viscera from falling out, Grimm reached into his pack and pulled out a length of rope. He quickly tied the rope around the severed head and tied the loose end of the rope around his belt. Now with his trophy securely hanging from his waist, Grimm ignored the ongoing conversation and curiously investigated the tracks of the female manticore that escaped.

Keeping one eye on his group of comrades, Grimm knelt down and began commiting the tracks to memory. Trying to memorize any significant or unique details should he come across the tracks on his own. Tuning out the others, Grimm absentmindedly pulled out his skinning knife and began wiping the blood and chunks of meat from the blade.

@Ms.Ezra

Leonidas chuckles when Burton regails Genessa with the abridged version of his exploits. "Burton! Cease with your flattery." The king picks up a rock and chucks it at the other man. It sails past Burton's shoulder and instead hits Grimm in the back as he is kneeled down examining tracks. "I am a Spartan, flattery is for Athenians."

Genessa can't help smiling at the King's reaction and says to Burton with a nod "With that history you gave, I certainly think he will make a valuable ally." She looks at Leonidas "That is if he is willing to accompany us back to Doren."

Leonidas remains seated looking up and over at Genessa, shrugs "What choice do I have but to accept? I have too many questions, and an empty belly." He pats his toned stomach "And I would like to have a taste of what would have tried to eat me." He throws his head back and laughs.

Richard Frances Burton

Burton smiles at the other older man.

" There was a survivor among the small bearded men. To him, all the tall men look alike eh ? I have not been here long myself, nor Grimm. I was just about to get lunch when we had to come investigate. Genessa, shall we get back to town ? "

Burton took in the situation. In his own mind, while he didn't actually know Leonidas, he didn't seem the type to want to head into town if he were in charge of a small group of ambushers. That simply didn't fit. In addition, a group of men, at least some from a similar time as Leonidas himself. Curious coincidence to be certain. From what Genessa had told him, strangers were a rare thing. Yes five including Leonidas in the last couple of days. That alone made Burton uncomfortable. It was like this reality was gearing up for conflict.

@Ms.Ezra @Dunruffle

Grimm's musings were interrupted as a small rock bounced off his back. Turning around to find who threw it, Grimm sees the new muscular man laughing heartily. Of course being mistrustful of people in general, Grimm immediately assumes the newcomer is mocking him. Standing up, Grimm stomps over to the group and snarls at Leonidas.

"Why are you mocking me you bastard? You look like you never have gone a day without food or drink. I bet you would not last a day alone in the wild. You soft whoreson." Finishing his list of insults, Grimm rudely spits at Leonidas' feet. Wiping the sweat from his neck, Grimm growls in discomfort as he adjusts his thick clothing. Turning to Genessa, Grimm glares at Leonidas. "Genessa of Red, this whoreson has no place amongst us. He looks soft and I bet all he does is eat, drink, and fight. Leave him behind and see how he feels about mocking his saviors after being alone in the woods. He would not last one night." Still forgetting that nobody save for those with an amulet would understand him, Grimm turns and resumes silently glaring at the spartan king.

@Ms.Ezra

"Yes, we should-" Genessa starts to talk but then Grimm goes off on his tirade. Genessa's eyes go wide and she struggles to think about what Grimm is going on about, then remembers he no longer has the amulet so she assumes Leonida's laugh was misconstrued as a mocking laugh by Grimm, having not seen that the rock hit him.

Leonidas grimaces when Grimm starts yelling at him in that foreign language, his nostrils flare when the man spits at his feet and he jumps to his feet. Leonidas is the same height as Grimm, so he comes nose-to-nose with the other man also glaring spears. "You dare spit at a king?!"

"Hold on now, gentlemen, calm down." Genessa puts up her hands and moves to go in and seperate the two by hand to de-escalate the situation. But Leonidas acts before she can.

Leonidas gives Grimm a hard shove meant to take him off his feet.

Richard Francis Burton.

Burton too rushes in to put himself between the two men.

* English * Genessa. Explain and calm .Grimm if you can !"

{ in greek }" Hold please Majesty ! He does neither know you or your language. He mistook your laugh to be at him and became offended. He is a skilled hunter and could be a friend to you in a strange place if you let him. "

Burton' s body language shows a man with some training in diplomacy. He tries not to lay one hand on Leonidas but keeps himself betwixt him and the others.

Grimm growls like a feral dog when Leonidas pushed him, stumbling back a few steps. Quickly regaining his footing, Grimm prepares to tackle the shirtless man when Genessa and Burton quickly intervene. Stopping himself, Grimm crosses his arms angrily and glances from Burton to Genessa. "You choose to defend this man we just met? Why? The first thing he does after a fight is mock his rescuers and you are letting him get away with it?! Get out of my way so I may skin him alive!"

By the end of his little rant Grimm was almost shouting, his face flushed and sweat dripping off his beard. The severed head of the manticore swinging gently was contrasted by the twitching of Grimm's fingers as they drummed an erratic beat on the handle of his skinning knife.

@Ms.Ezra

"Grimm, he was not mocking you or anyone else." Genessa speaks to the hunter with her hand out. "He was telling Burton to stop trying to flatter him. I suppose that is not something they do in his culture." She says in as calm and respectful a manner as possible.

Leonidas meanwhile still glares daggers at Grimm from around Burton but is calmed down somewhat by the other man's words. "A misunderstanding." He huffs "Then I will not thrash him into this blood-soaked ground." Leonidas turns around and picks up his shield. "I am ready to leave this place."

Genessa breathes in then out slowly looking Grimm in the eye "See Mr. Grimm? He is willing to let it all pass. Now let us mount up, and head back to Doren."

Richard Francis Burton

Burton watches Grimm with a sideways glance for a moment, trusting then to leave him in Genesa's care.

* in Greek* " Come please your Majesty. We used these flying beasts to come out here more quickly. It will be easier if you climb onto one and I suggest mine as the most appropriate.

He leads the other man towards the beasts with the intent to help him mount the griffin.

* in Greek * " There is a lot to go over about this place and I'd bet you are hungry. Worse ( he smiles again ) I missed my last meal coming out here in such a hurry ! "

* in rusty Russian * Grimm you fly good ?"

Grimm glowered at Leonidas as Genessa explained the misunderstanding. Letting out a huff of frustration, Grimm takes his hand off the handle of his knife. "Fine, I will let him live. But I still do not like him." Stomping over to his griffin, Grimm let out a sound of disgust when Burton addressed him. "The sooner I am away from these beasts the better." It took Grimm a few attempts but he finally managed to climb onto the saddle by himself. Grabbing the handholds, the nordic hunter braced himself for the upcoming travel.

@Ms.Ezra

"Good. Thank you for hearing me out." Genessa sighs in relief that they've averted(for now) the showdown between the hunter and the King. She beckons for CiCi and mounts up on her with ease. "When we return I will treat you all to a hearty meal at The Hunter's House. Boar and ale all around." She affirms but adds "More boar than ale, please." When she realizes the two men being loaded up on alcohol could lead to the showdown they'd just defused.

"I will have my fill of both!" Leonidas announces coming up to Burton's griffin. He regards the creature with awe, reaching out and touching its flank as if to be certain it was just as real as the other supposed beasts of myth he had just faced. "Amazing. What other wonders does this place hold?" Leonidas asks nobody in particular. He sheates his xiphos and affixes his shield to his back before mounting up behind Burton. He looks around and braces himself.

"Back home!" Genessa slaps the reins on CiCi and she takes off at a full gallop, the other two following. Leonidas holds back his yell of surprise at how swiftly they move through the forest, bounding over fallen logs until they come out into a larger clearing where they pick up more speed and spread their wings out to take flight. Leonidas peers over the sides as the land shrinks beneath them.

When the trio left Doren the sky had been darkening. As they take flight again the sky is darker and night falls by the time they return to the roof of The Griffin Keepers. No sooner does Burton's griffin touch down than Leonidas jumps off, looking ready to hurl as he clutches his belly and goes to the edge of the roof. The King manages to hold his stomach, but groans "I am never flying again."

Genessa dismounts and says to Grimm in a teasing manner "You and Leonidas have that in common Grimm. You two may be friends yet."

The griffins are put in their pens by a handler, and the four step out into the street shortly after. Leonidas looks around at the town as Genessa leads the way to The Hunter's House. The streets are alive with celebration, enough that few people take notice of him even with his huge shield strapped to his back. There is a lot of music and singing, dancing. "What are these people celebrating?" Leonidas asks Genessa, the one who seems to have all the answers.

"The union of our kingdoms, Gatecia and Linia, after generations of bloodshed." She answers and they arrive at The Hunter's House. Which is very lively like the rest of the town; quite loud as they enter and are lucky to find a table for four in a corner. Genessa orders a roasted boar, a pitcher of ale, and a pot of tea for herself and Burton. Leonidas grabs a knife and carves out a large hunk of boar for himself the moment it's brought to their table. His shield sits against the wall next to him. He lets his gratitude be known by the deep satisfied groan he makes as he chews that first bite and washes it down with a prolonged drink of ale. Genessa sips her tea and quietly herself a piece as she mulls over this new development. There was something about that symbol...

Sir Richard Francis Burton

Burton is quietly satisfied regarding the two fantastic beasts and finding Leonidas.
As they return to Doren, he too gets off Reggi the griffin, stroking and thanking him before the griffins get put away.

At site of the Hunter's inn, he tells Grimm..

( in the awful Russian ) " You did grand well against beast, my thanks "

At the table, he is a slower eater than the other two men, using typical Victorian eating habits. He has an ale or two with the meal and hot tea after words. He does notice Genessa's either relatively light eating, or non eating and will scoot towards her.

" Something is bothering you Genessa ? "