QHAWEhW.jpg

Character Index

Grimm sighed as the topic changed to how to handle the new Ender threat. Leaning back in his chair, Grimm added his own thoughts to the conversation. "So this is why you wanted us to serve you? So that you can use us against those that threaten your land and people? I will follow whatever orders you may have Genessa of Red, but do not mistake my compliance for eagerness. If I had a choice I would be out hunting fierce predators instead of being a sword for hire."

The bearded hunter went back to examining the various mounted heads and hunting trophies as he waited for whatever orders Genessa would give him.

@Ms.Ezra

Leonidas simply follows the man as he takes in the sights and surroundings, all the while listening to Belen speak. Apparently a lot had happened since he had passed from the Hot Gates to this place, but he was glad to know that Sparta still remained. He couldn't help but smile with pride that his people were still doing fine, although he had to admit he'd have much rather been there with them than traversing this unknown land.

He mentally mapped the route they were taking, as knowung one's environment was essentail and key to survival, and at the same time he watched Belen. The man seemed to be trustworthy for the time being, however, letting your guard down for even a moment in uncertain scenarios would undoubtedly lead to a swift death. It wad around this time that Belen has scratched his neck. It was a benign motion, but what caught Leonidas' attention was the mark on his hand. It was peculiar to him, and his inquisitve nature wouldn't allow this to idly pass.

"That marking upon your hand," he said, pausing for a moment, "What meaning does such a mark carry?". He knew of slave marks and other various markings made to show the lower status of a person, and wondered what significance such a mark like that carried in this world. It also didn't skip his attention that Belen seemed uninterested in the corpses of his fallen comrades, but perhaps he simply had no real brotherhood with those that had fallen.

From behind her mask Edea looks in the direction of Richard with his suggestion. That doesn't sound like such a horrid idea… but in the back of her min she is hesitant to go into any headquarters belonging to the Red Shield.

"As Hu-Man and I came towards this very place, m'lady." She says in a soft, thought out tone. Her brown eyes draw back towards Genessa "A passing Veda exclaimed one of his kin had been attacked by an Ender. One of your men directed them towards your Guild's Hall." She motions towards the door, her head bowing a little. "This is the extent of my knowledge, m'lady. One of the Veda seemed in poor shape, but alive. But Veda" this next part isn't for Genessa's knowledge (since she probably knows this) but for Richard and Grimm's information "tend to travel in groups of at least 5. And always armed. I saw only 2, and as I said… 1 looked like he escaped with his life." the more she speaks, the less she likes the possible situation.

She suddenly shakes her head, and now she starts towards the door as she pulls up her hood. "Hu-man, Richard… I am pleased to have met you both. Many apologies we can not get to one one another better. But I feel I must go." She pauses and half turns, looking towards Genessa. "M'lady of the Shield… perhaps it best if you heed sire's" she motions to Richard "suggestion and move to your guild hall. If a Stranger is now an Ender… new Strangers around it could be a bad thing. I, myself, shall track this Ender and learn of its situation." her tone, the way she stands, her overall demeanor… she speaks as if it were with an authority, and not just a suggestion. And as she turns in the direction of the door, her eyes fall on Grimm once more. "Hu-man… by the blessings of Altalus we shall meet once more. And hunt." She nods a little, and then heads towards the door, her hands grasping the edge of her hood lightly as she goes off on her own.

Reactions: Dunruffle
Ignoring Grim's less than flattering spin on her plans for the pair, Genessa says to Burton "You're right Mr. Burton, best we discuss this back at the guildhall." She then says to Edea as the woman leaves. "I may see you soon enough."

The Senior Operator leads the group away from The Hunter's House and a short walk back to the Red Shield Guild Hall. Upon entering, Bernard comes from the offices in the back with a look of elation upon his face.

"Genessa! Thank goodness you're here. We just received a man with some potentially grave news." He says and Genessa walks past him hurriedly. The man in question is specifically an older white-bearded Dwarf sitting on a chair wrapped in a thick blanket. His beard is still soaked, and he shakes slightly as if still warming up and his eyes are still wide from shock. He looks over his mug of steaming hot tea at Genessa as she comes in and kneels to be at eye level with him.

"Good sir. What happened to you?" She asks.

The Dwarf sips his hot tea, and relaxes as he looks into Genessa's eyes and explains with an audible stutter in his voice, but in Dwarvish that only Genessa , Grim, and possibly Edea, are able to understand. "W-we...meself and my guards...w-were bringing our goods t-to market h-here. On th-the riverside path north of here...we c-came upon a man….a Stranger!" He exclaims.

"A Stranger? And did he attack you?" She asks.

The Dwarf nods "Y-yes! N-no sooner did we meet him, that we w-were assaulted by archers! I was thrown from my seat into the r-river!" He huffs "I pray to the Dragons that you bring him to justice!"

"We will find this Stranger, and determine if he was truly responsible for this attack." Genessa replies in Dwarvish. "You said this was along the river north of here? What did he look like?"

The old Dwarf nods "Yes. And he was dressed only in some...loincloth I suppose you'd call it. And a red cape. Big shiny shield." Genessa rises up and quickly relays in English for Burton. "He thinks a Stranger he met on a road is responsible for an attack that threw him into the river. I'm not one to rush judgement, but all the same this must be investigated." She says to the rest. "This is official Red Shield business. I would understand if none of you will want to involve yourselves. I am more than capable of taking a Griffin out to search on my own."

---------------------------------

"This?" Belen rubs the mark on his hand. "This is the symbol of greatness that has come to this world, but few have realized. " He chuckles "But soon...soon they will know it. In fact, having seen how easily you killed my fellows, the man I serve would happily accept you in our ranks." Belen's smile falls when he hears, echoing through the woods around their path, the sound of a woman weeping. It is a loud, mournful sound that stops Belen a moment. But he starts moving again, this time with more haste.

"Do not heed that. Keep moving." Belen warns as he looks around, eyes wide and jaw clenched.

Reactions: WanderingWriter
Sir Richard Francis Burton

Richard watched Edea leave as they turned and went to the Red Shield Hall.

" Hu-man ? That seemed .. odd. "

Into the red shield hall and watching Genessa talk to the Veda. In Burton's opinion, the old Dwarf seemed in earnest about his opinion. Just the same, Burton thought to himself, just yesterday the damned Dwarves thought he was an ender. Probably see enders hiding in every bush.

"Genessa, will all due respect, I don't think this is the best time to go anywhere alone. Besides which, his people, just yesterday thought I was a damned Ender. In addition, we both know Joan of Arc is out there somewhere, and forgive me, but she.. is not of a sane mind right now. If you choose to leave me behind, at least take Grimm. Perhaps he can be of some use. !"

Burton at that point, had only raised his voice a little. After his little speech, he glared at the old Veda, then at Grumpy Grimm, letting out a huff of air before settling down & calming back down.

Reactions: Dunruffle
Hair on the back of Leonidas' neck began to prickle, the sneaking suspicion that he wasn't going to like where he was being brought to prodded at the back of his mind. He had paused a moment to listen to the distant crying, recalling Belen's warning and committing it to memory. He wasn't entirely sure what the thing out there was, but he had the innate feeling that it most certainly wasn't a woman in distress. However, with the nagging feeling that was creeping up his spine, he figured that it may come in handy later, if things didn't turn out well for him. From what he gathered from Belen, he was being taken to a place where his skills would be of use to someone else. He knew exactly what that meant, the leader of said place would want him to stay there and work for them, but that wasn't in the cards for the former king of Sparta. He would get a lay of the land himself, using this opportunity to commit himself to a new Agoge in this strange land. He would come to understand this place and make the call for himself where he was meant to be. It was unfortunate that this likely meant that things were most likely to turn sour soon.
His attention back on Belen as they proceeded, "What can you tell me about the populace here? What were those misshapen men that you and yours had killed earlier?", he needed to get as much information as he could while the situation was still a civil one.

@Ms.Ezra

Grimm sighed as he followed Genessa back to the guild hall. Once inside, Grimm watched the older Veda as he described the attack. After his initial run in with the smaller race, Grimm obviously had a less than favorable opinion of them. Turning to look at Genessa, Grimm shrugged noncommittally at her question.

"Truthfully I would be glad to accompany you, sitting around doing nothingin this town is not enjoyable for me and I would much rather be outside in the woods."

Lifting a brow at Richard's little outburst, Grimm turned to look at him.

"Richard I believe you do not give yourself enough credit. I may be well versed in combat but being....sociable..is not a stengrh of mine. I do not see a reason as to why you should not accompany Genessa of Red. There is safety in numbers."

@Ms.Ezra

As the group moves off towards the Red Shield Guild Hall, Edea is quickly making her way towards the edge of town. She draws up her hood as she moves, her cloak flowing along her slim body with her precise and fluid movements.

If there is another Stranger, and if this Stranger is suddenly posing some kind of threat… it's well possible that the Stranger is just… confused. As most all of them are once they enter this world. And to encounter the Veda right off the bat… well they aren't exactly the most diplomatic of peoples. She quickly is to the outlying area of the town itself, and over her shoulder she looks for a brief moment. She truly wished she had more time to speak to Grimm, to get to know whatever culture he originated from a bit better. But like so many times before, the life she was brought into takes priority over what she merely 'wants'. A soft sigh escapes her lips as she looks into the forests before her now, and she absently reaches back to feel the quiver hanging at her hip. Her hand then comes up and brushes against the bowstring of her weapon, it draped across her chest. Now once more into the forest does she begin to move.

But only about 5 steps before she freezes, her whole body tensing. The fairly distinct squawk fills the air above the canopy of trees around her, and she finds herself crouching down slightly as she looks up, her eyes wide. "Rot…" She utters as she looks for the source of the squawk. And a moment later, a small hawk dives down at her. She gasps as she falls back onto her rump, swatting at it. "Xan stop!" the hawk flaps its wings rapidly to evade her hand, and circles around her, diving at her again. Edea lets out a giggle as she sits there in the grass, covering her head with her hands. "nnnnnno!" The hawk lets out another short screech and lands on her knee, its beak rapidly pecking Edea in the chest. But with each little peck, an unexpected sound. The bird's beak sounds like its tapping against glass. Edea reaches up and holds her hand over the spot, the spot where a medallion lays under her cloak. Her other hand reaches for one of the pouches on her hip as the hawk screeches angrily, threatening to peck her hand if she doesn't move it away from her chest. But her free hand produces what looks like a small wriggling grub. The hawk's dark eyes snap towards it and quickly snatches it out of Edea's hand happily. "Hey!" she exclaims, ensuring all of her fingers are still there. The hawk, now seeming utterly satisfied, perches upon her knee, its wings spread just slightly.

Now one of Edea's hands come up to lightly caress the crown of the hawk's head, which it seems to appreciate with what sounds like a soft cooing sound. And its about then that Edea notices the small piece of parchment tied to the hawk's talon. She sighs softly as she reaches down and gently pulls the parchment from its holder on the claw, and she reads it. It says, simply and in bold hastily written letters, 'HOME. NOW.' She feels herself wince a little and now holds her arm out. The hawk obediently hops up onto her forearm, and she pushes herself to her feet. "Well, guess they'll have to figure it out on their own." She says as she glances towards the village she had just walked from. With her free hand she now folds the small parchment between her fingers, folding it in an abstract triangle. She replaces it into the holder upon the hawk's talon, and she speaks softly. "Head home, beloved one. I shall be there soon, this I promise." Her arm raises a little, and the hawk pushes off of her cloak, taking to flight. She watches it disapear through the trees, and she then takes off in a sudden sprint. But she doesn't head away from the village now, not directly. Instead she would circle around and reenter the village proper… keeping herself hidden from prying eyes.

And then… home.

After the others had their say Bernard offers his take on the situation from beside the old Veda. "Thank you two for agreeing to accompany Genessa. If not, I would be obligated to leave the Guild Hall in your hands." He waves both hands in front of himself and smiles nervously. "N-not that I don't trust either of you, more a matter of duty that it shouldn't fall to a non-member to tend the hall and its normal operations."

"Yes, thank you both." Genessa takes her baton from its holder and twirls it in her hand, then uses it to point in the direction of their armory. "Arm yourselves, gentlemen, and we will take a couple of our Griffins to the area he indicated." She places a hand on the shoulder of the old Veda and says in a soft tone "Rest good sir. We will ensure justice is done for your lost kinsmen whether it was this new Stranger or not."

The old Veda gives a nod of thanks and sips his tea, but still gives Grimm and Burton a wary look even if he keeps any further accusations and such to himself.

Genessa goes into the armory herself, and equips herself with a longbow and quiver of arrows. Once everyone is properly equipped, she leads them back out into the city of Doren and to the southern edge. The sun was creeping slowly to the horizon when they came to a long building with a flat roof built along the city wall. It was much like a large barn, with the strong smell of animal dung and peculiar calls emanating from within. The calls are like that of large birds cooing, but there are also the rumbling purrs of large cats as well. The sign over the large barn doors reads "Griffin Keepers".

Upon entering, they see it is built like regular horse stables, but the stables are occupied by animals with the tawny brown heads of Eagles, the body of a lion, and Eagle wings. Workers are all around either washing or feeding the animals, all of which coo or purr and don't so much as snap their jaws at the newcomers.

"Hello hello my fair lady!!" A woman comes out from a stable to greet the group. She is in her early 40's, but her short sandy blonde hair and bright smile conveys a youthful energy.

Genessa meets her with a quick friendly hug "Amelia! I wish we could chat, but we need to get out on assignment."

Amelia slaps her lightly on the shoulders "Well let's not waste if you have haste! Your Griffies are ready as always."

They are led to three Griffins with plaques that gave their names as 'Reggi', 'Lou', and 'Cici`. Amelia opens the pens and talks while strapping on saddles to the animals.

"lf you fellows don't know how to ride these, no worries. Once Cici is in the air the boys will follow their sister, so all you gotta do is hold on tight." Amelia saddles Cici first, and Genessa jumps on and takes the reins, steering Cici out of the pen.

"I'm sorry, would have been better to say we're flying out and ask if either of you are afraid of heights." Genessa pats Cici's head "Will that be an issue?"
-----------------------------------
Belen answers Leonidas in a hushed tone "Those were Veda. Smaller but very tough race with an ornery disposition." The distant sound of the 'wailing woman' stops and so does Belen. He carefully kneels down, gesturing for Leonidas to do the same. He speaks even quieter now. "That thing we heard, it is no longer luring. It is hunting." He reaches down to his boot and draws out a knife.

"This land, King Leonidas, is home to many things told of only in stories of our childhood. Right now, I fear we are being stalked by a Manticore" Belen explains as he listens to the ambient sounds of the forest. There is only the wind gently rustling the trees at first. Then a louder rustle a distance away to their North-West that Belen looks toward. ''They are like the legend of Bellerophon, but the belly is vulnerable as any beast."

Reactions: WanderingWriter
Sir Richard Francis Burton.

Listening to Grimm with a bit of a surprise, the weathered explorer gives the hunter a nod of thanks, a small grateful smile on the older man's face. Burton himself took a moment to calm himself before listening to Bernard for a moment.

" My friend Bernard, not to worry, we will do our utmost to keep your mistress safe ! I may not be a member, but I hold Miss Genessa in the highest regard. !"

Burton reached out to shake Bernard's hand before following Genessa to the armory. He is though a creature who takes insult rather seriously, a flaw from his life in the old world. Thus, he pays the old Veda no attention whatsoever.

Once in the armory, He looks around a bit. He is happy with his English military sword, his Kukri and boot knife. With his revolver he is reluctant to use it given the small amount of ammunition he has.

" Grimm, can you please pick out a simple heavy crossbow to use and some ammunition for it ? It should be easy enough to adapt my skill with the rifle to the crossbow. "

He does feel the need for something ranged, but his own fighting priority will be up close and personal. He has no apparent need for armor that would weigh him down and make stealth so much more difficult. Assuming Grimm procures a crossbow and some bolts for him, he leaves with the other two in the short walk across town.

When they came to the griffon pens, Burton was in awe. Here were creatures out of legend. Tamed and ready to ride. The old explorer could hear his father's stories in the back of his head. Several moments went by before he asked if he could touch one. When the time came and he was asked if he was afraid of heights, he truthfully didn't know. Burton didn't think so and certainly wasn't going to admit such at any rate. He mounted his griffon asking briefly on the instructions, just in case since he was an excellent horseman, or used to be.

@Ms.Ezra @Dunruffle @Camleen

Reactions: Nomad-22
Grimm simply silently listened as the plan was finalized. Casting one last glare at the old veda, Grimm followed Burton to the armory. Slightly surprised at the request of helping pick out a crossbow for the englishman. Looking around at the variety of crossbows available, Grimm picked up a crossbow made of what looked like mahogany wood with a spiked reloading stirrup on the front. After knocking the stock against the stone wall a few times, Grimm grunted in satisfaction and handed the crossbow to Burton along with a rectangular waist quiver filled with 15 steel tipped bolts.

Making sure all of his weapons were easily accessible, Grimm grumbled as he followed Genessa outside into the warm weather. Arriving at the Griffon pens, Grimm stepped behind Burton and regarded the winged beasts with a look of distrust.

"We are going to...ride those...things? They look like something out of a children's tale."

Seeing Burton easily approach and mount his griffon, Grimm steeled himself and warily approached the griffon named Reggi. He flinched back slightly as Reggi turned his head and clicked his beak curiously at the strange smelling man. Glaring at the large yellow eyes, Grimm squared his shoulders and slowly walked forward.

"Behave yourself beast, the others may trust your kin but I know how animals can turn into murderous monsters. If you attack me I will not hesitate to end you."

Clumsily climbing onto the saddle of Reggi with the help of a stableboy, Grimm gripped the hand holds with white knuckles while trying to appear confident. When Genessa asked about a fear of heights, Grimm shrugged non-committally. He had climbed tall trees before, how bad could flying be?

@Ms.Ezra

Reactions: Gands
Reggi looks back at Grimm, cocking his head side-to-side and blinking twice. It was unusual for someone to size up against a Griffin the way he did, but Reggi was more intelligent and trained than Grimm would give an animal credit for. Reggi coos and pecks at the floor of his pen for the food pellets still strewn about while he allows Grimm to get up on his saddle. Lou, Burton's mount for the trip, gladly allows Burton to pet her head and neck, cooing with delight.

"Sounds to me like they're ready to go." Amelia says as she secures her boots in the stirrups and steers CiCi out of her pen, towards a set of ramps at the back of the building that leads to the roof. Lou and Reggi follow CiCi close behind as Amelia promised. When all riders and their mounts were on the roof, they would see the roof was also a wooden runway. Not that Grimm would recognize such a thing.

"Remember what Miss Earhart said, gentlemen." Genessa and CiCi step up to the runway first. "Hold tight, and trust your mounts, you'll be fine." She says before slapping the reins. CiCi growls, lets out her wings, and goes into a full sprint down the runway. With a roar CiCi takes to the air just inches away from the edge of the building. Lou follows immediately after, then Reggi, and all three soar through the darkening sky. The Griffins fly in a line, wings flapping as they climbg higher and Doren shrinks beneath them, then behind as Genessa leads the way in the direction the old Veda had indicated he had come from. Genessa looks behind her to be certain the other two have not panicked or otherwise made themselves to plummet from the sky.

Burton was in fact delighted. He managed to control himself from screaming in exaltation. The wind whipping through what was left of his hair and a wild grin on his face. He rode his griffon like a tourist on a tame touring horse.

Looking down, he was still grinning, managing to quell his anxious gut and look down, mapping the area in his mind, feeling this would come in handy sooner than later. He paid no attention to Grimm, aside from looking back once to see if the man held on still.

He kept looking down, now for evidence of trouble as they proceeded through the wild skies. Assuming the old Veda wasn't completely addled...

@Ms.Ezra @Dunruffle @Camleen

Grimm's eyes widened in terror as the griffon's took off. Muffling a scream of surprise, the normally confident huntsman humched over in his saddle as he clung to the handhold for dear life. Spouting a stream of profanity and curses that did not translate well for the others, Grimm squeezed his eyes shut and forced himself to not throw up from pure fear.

Occasionally Grimm would open an eye to peek down at the ground below but would quickly return to the comforting darkness of his closed eyes. Eventually Grimm managed to reduce his fearful actions to small whimpers as his nails dug into his own flesh so much that they quickly opened small cuts in his palms.

@Ms.Ezra

Last edited by a moderator:
A Manticore? What kind of place is this? Leonidas wonders. He mirrors Belen and assumes a ready stance with shield up and xiphos unsheathed, ready. Not inclined to turn his back on Belen, a still unknown quantity, he also turns to the North-West. This reminds the King of Sparta of his youth when he'd faced down predators in the wild. It seems to him that he was already engaged in another agoge; one meant to test him against the new dangers of this new world.

And if Belen was correct, it appears these new dangers include beasts of legend.

A rustle to the South causes Leonidas to turn on his heel on instinct, showing Belen his back.

But back-stabbing was not his concern at all when his eyes beheld a woman's face appear from the brush. He might think it was a beautiful woman, if the creature did not leap out of the brush to reveal a lion's tawny golden body, a scorpion stinger for a tail, and a mouth full of sharp yellow teeth as it unleashes a loud roar; a roar that is answered from the North. It is then that Belen witnesses a male face pop out from the brush, followed by the rest of the Manticore's monstrous form as it bounds out from hiding towards them.

The old King does not waver even while facing down this otherworldly beast. He is a mortal man, and so he feels the fear of any mortal, but his training has steeled him to only act deliberately and brutally to preserve his own life.

Leonidas counters the roar of the female Manticore with his own as he raises his shield to meet her. She hits it with a force that sends Leonidas onto his back while she bounces off and lands on her side. The impact results in a clear and loud CLANG from the shield, but it holds with only a dent. Both Leonidas and the female leap to their feet, although the female appears unshaken by the clash.

Behind him, Belen lost his nerve the moment he saw the male. He drops his dagger, and foolishly runs in the hope the male will choose to take down Leonidas with his mate.

Unfortunately for him, the male lands on his paws where he'd been standing and bounds after him. Because only easy prey flee. In a few short bounds the male overtakes Belen and the woods are suddenly filled with the man's final cries as he is mauled on the ground only feet away.

Leonidas hears this, but can only concern himself for the moment with the one snarling predator before him. The beast growls and attempts a strike with her stinger. Leonidas easily blocks with his shield, but to his surprise the stinger doesn't break on the bronze. This is repeated four more times, and the shield holds with a CLANG each time.

Meanwhile, up high…

CiCi, Reggi, and Lou hear the noise of this fight for survival while the others cannot due to the wind distorting their hearing. CiCi alerts Genessa with a shriek and bob of her head. Genessa knows it means they've detected something, and raises her right hand so the others can see her thumb pointing down to say they were going to land. The griffins begin their descent, maybe a bit more rapidly than the other two are accustomed too. The wind rushes around their ears and all three mounts shriek as they come just above the tree tops and circle around back to the source of the noise they'd heard. The griffins find an opening in the tree canopy and as a unit dive for it.

The shrieks of the griffins are heard by Leonidas and the Manticores. The female ceases her attack, snarls and the male comes up from his kill with blood all over his face. Leonidas makes a grunt of frustration as he wonders What new beast is this?

But to his astonishment what he sees breaking down through the tree canopy several feet away is a trio of griffins. And on the backs of those majestic creatures...humans?

The Manticores are not as taken with the sight. The male roars at the approaching trio, while the female tries to sting Leonidas again to try and get away with one more meal. Leonidas narrowly avoids this latest attack with his shield and with a battle cry thrusts forth at the she-beast. And the blade hits the stinger's end, dousing the blade with its poison as the female yowls in pain.

Reactions: Gands and Dunruffle

Burton is one of those fellows who enjoys a spirited adventure. The ride incoming on the back of the griffin was exhilarating. Seeing the legendary beasts coming in he takes a shot with his new crossbow coming in. It is similar enough to a rifle and its relatively close range to the beasts. He shoots at the male and leaps off his ride to draw his sword and menace the female beast.

@Dunruffle @Ms.Ezra

As his stomach dropped due to the rapid descent, Grimm swore to never ride a flying beast again. Opening one eye to see why they were descending, he was surprised to see two Manticores fighting a lone warrior. Immediately recognising the beasts from the pictures Genessa had shown him, Grimm perked up immediately as he readied for battle.

When Reggi landed, Grimm clumsily dismounted from the saddle and willed his still churning stomach to settle. Quickly assessing the situation, Grimm chose to focus his attention on the male. If manticores where anything like the predators back home, once they get the taste of blood they become much more aggressive in search for more. Keeping a safe distance from the two beasts, Grimm circled around slightly to get a better angle on the male. Taking aim with his crossbow, Grimm let loose a bolt at the back leg of the bloody beast. Hoping to cripple it and reduce it's mobility.

@Ms.Ezra

Burton's shot at the male misses as the beast swats the bolt away with its tail, but in doing so cannot dodge Grimm's. The bolt hits him in the back leg and sticks, causing the male to yowl and round on Grimm. It opens those jaws wide to show its two rows of fangs, red from the fresh blood of its fresh meal. His stinger swings down to break off the shaft of the bolt in its leg, then rises and sways back and forth slowly as the animal stands its ground, and whips forth at Grimm.

Luckily for Grimm, Genessa has come to his side and activates her baton to raise her red shield in time. The stinger hits the shield of red energy and reels back quivering. Genessa stands aside Grimm, kneels down to allow Grimm a chance for another shot from behind the shield.

The female snarls at Leonidas and the newcomer facing her. She goes low and whips her injured stinger tail at the two. The open wound spews forth a mix of blood and venom at the pair. Leonidas again is saved by his shield, but Burton is not….

The Griffins do not join the fray. The three form a perimeter around the humans and Manticores, ready to pounce on either beast should they attempt to flee. Hunting behavior, a holdover from their more wild predecessors.

Last edited by a moderator:

It was clear he'd need to practice up a bit with the crossbow, but there really wasn't time to think about this as the female spewed something nasty looking out of a wounded tail. It was primarily aimed at the man with the huge bronze age shield. Burton didn't entirely trust his new powers against rumored poison, so he jumped up over the stream. He immediately moved after that giving the shield a light wrap with his sword before aiming to slash the beast across it's torso.

It was his hope that the fellow with the shield would hop up and help him finish this strange creature off.

@Dunruffle
@Ms.Ezra

Quickly reloading his crossbow, Grimm ducks as the manticore retaliates with a strike of it's own. But before the stinger hits, Genessa leaped in front of Grimm to deflect it with her glowing shield. Not bothering to thank his protector, Grimm snaps off a quick shot at the male. He was not aiming at any body part in particular, but was simply keeping the male's attention divided and forcing it to focus on him instead of rounding on Richard.

Stepping back and slightly circling the male once more, Grimm growled in frustration as he tried to think up a strategy. Having never hunted manticore's before, Grimm was unsure of how to properly handle not just one, but two at the same time. From what he had seen so far, Grimm compared these manticores to having the cunning of wolves with the ferocity of grizzly bears. Back home, a head on fight with any large predator was best handled with a group of at least five men. Three with shields and spears to keep the beast at bay while two archers aimed to either blind it or take out it's legs.

The fact that the manticores were mates as well only made things worse, as killing one would most likely send the other into a murderous frenzy. Quickly looking over at Burton, Grimm called out to Genessa. "Genessa of Red! We should escape! This is a battle we most likely cannot win!"

@Ms.Ezra