QHAWEhW.jpg

Character Index

For a moment Leonidas pauses, having heard familiar tongue in this strange land for the first time. However, this only bolsters his fighting spirit, as he now knows that he can properly interrogate this man. With a grin he throws his spear to the right of the man, purposefully missing as he draws his own blade.

The lone archer attacks, his attempt easily blocked by shield. Leonidas exchanges a few sword crosses with the bowman before cutting into one of his legs above the knee, cutting his sword arm at the forearm, and then shield bashing him to the ground. Leonidas stands over the fallen warrior, stepping on the wrist of his sword arm while pointing his blade at the man's face, a serious look dawning his face. In Macedonian, he speaks. "I commend your will, however, with me as your opponent, that alone will not help you," he kept the blade poised, "You speak my language and yet I don't know this place, care to tell me where we are?".

He understood that his felled opponent might not be in the talkative mood, so he tried to be less menacing, considering the circumstances. Continuing in Macedonian, "If you can give me the information I need and take me to where others who speak like me, I'll spare your life...if not, you'll simply end up feed for the birds and the maggots." His gaze remained stern as he studied the man, wondering which path this man would chose. If life...yes possibly be able to discern his circumstances better, but if death...then he'd be back to square one.

@Ms.Ezra

"Ah, yes yes, the burning woman incident interuppted us." Genessa leads the way through the crowd and streets as she explains part of Burton's question from before they were interuppted, to the best of her memory.

"As things are now we do not have 'enemies' per say. We prefer to think of obstacles, not enemies, and one of those obstacles happens to be The White Guard. They are an old organization, but given new purpose by King Edward with the approval of King Richard. They actively recruit and train Strangers as personal soldiers of the Royal Family. Often using their official royal sanction to override any influence Red Shield possesses, hence our animosity at times." Genessa comes to a stop in front of Madam Laurent's shop front and turns to Burton. "Again. Obstacles to be navigated. Not enemies. And there has not been an occasion where we've been obligated to call for the execution of a Stranger since the organization's formation. Most find their own way in society, or live quiet lives as Drifters." Genessa sighs and shrugs, smiles. "I, personally and as a representative of Red Shield, want only one of those two results for those we meet. What the White Guard does with their personell, is their concern so long as they do not harm the citizens of our world."

She then walks into Madame Laurent's, saying to Burton. "More questions later. Let's dress you for your new world."

-------------

The archer looks up at Leonidas with wide eyes and clenched teeth. "I am...was...a citizen of Macedon! The glorious Macedonian Empire! But here, in this new world...I do not answer to you even if you speak my native tongue. Who are you, that you demand I answer?"

Richard Francis Burton

" It is a fine positive view to take of things and I won't argue it's virtues here and now. There is a term though in my world, looking through Rose colored glasses. "

Burton Follows Genessa into the Tailor's shop.

" It's a wonder Grimm hasn't run into trouble yet. "

@Ms.Ezra @Dunruffle

Grimm grumbled as he slung his crossbow over his shoulder and stood up. "I do not know of this Duke or the lands he speaks of. All I know is I was brought back from death and put here, so I am determined not to make the same mistakes again." As the girl rambled on, Grimm rubbed the bridge of his nose in annoyance. "So you just came here to waste my time then. Since you have nothing to offer besides your constant talking. I am in no mood for word games so I am going to find water." Stomping away, Grimm looked around for something to quench his thirst. The crowds had become even louder and larger, much to Grimm's annoyance. Wandering off to a more quiet area, Grimm discovered a stable occupied by various horses. Nearby a trough of water beckoned enticingly. Not caring about looking or acting classy, Grimm went over and drank down several large handfuls of the horses water.

@Camleen

With a warm smile she watches as Grim has a sort of mini-fit. As he exclaims she offers nothing… and then he stomps off. Yes, he actually stomps. And Edea watches as he moves, her hands folded behind her back under her cloak. Normally when a man does such things, when he gives the ‘eff off’ vibe… most would heed as such. Especially a man with strange(r) powers, a weapon and clearly the means to use it. But as you might come to know, Edea is not as most are. Is she a bit offended? Yup. But that doesn’t change a whole lot. And so she draws up her mask to cover the lower half of her face, and she takes a quick breath in before she follows Grim.

She stops behind him as he drinks of the water, now her arms folded over her midsection. Her voice comes in a smooth, calmed tone. Her eyes half open under her hood. “And is this part of your ‘new beginning’, hu-man? Your fresh start? To turn away so quickly those that might have knowledge to help you. Help you navigate in this world you are new to. I have knowledge of your world, your peoples… and I am well versed of our own world too. I am regretful that I might not be the sort of help you seek, hu-man.”

Edea then leans a little closer to him as she continues “When your people invade our world, it is because you died on your native world. I hope you can open yourself to change here, so you do not indeed repeat the mistakes of your past. Since, more than likely, the decisions you made ended with your death.” She now stands fully, there is no malice or sarcasm in her tone of voice. Her eyes not wavering from Grim’s. “Don’t be an ass in your new life, please. In all reality you are as a newborn here. And you shouldn’t be so quick to turn away aid. Even if you don’t see dividends right away.” And with that she turns, her hands coming up to draw her hood down slightly. "Through all your travels, I wish you a peaceful journey." She walks away from Grim, in fact heading in the general direction of the city gates with a casual stride.

Grim frowns as the girl lectures him and then proceeds to start walking away. He knew that she was probably right, but his stubborn nature and pride were very hard to ignore. Growling in frustration and rubbing the bridge of his nose, Grim takes a few steps to follow the girl. "Wait!" Crossing his arms defensively, Grim sighs.

"You....may be right. While I am loathe to rely on others, this time it would be wise to take any help I can get." Stepping closer, Grim glared at the girl. "But if I discover you are trying to decieve or trick me I will not hesitate to leave." Looking around at the various people, Grim frowns. "Is there somewhere we can go to get out of this heat?"

@Camleen

Leonidas looked down at the Macedonian archer, his gaze as stern as ever, taking in the man as he decided how to answer. This person clearly knew more than himself, so he surmised that he'd attempt to subside his frustrations with this man's non-cooperative attitude for the time being. He still needed to ascertain some information, even if it was just a little. (In Macedonian) "Presently, I'm the man who holds your life at the tip of his blade," he responded, slowly inching the blade closer toward the Archer's throat, "However, back where we're both from, I'm King of the Spartans...I ask one more time before you're forever silenced and left here to rot...how bout you answer what was asked of you. It would extend your life if you simply tell me what you know and guide me...know that your next answer will determine your immediate future. Think wisely before you speak."

While Leonidas hoped the man understood, he was prepared to end the man's life, if necessary, and continue on his journey to find things out for himself. He had already gathered quite the bit of information just from this encounter alone. He knew there were others here that he could communicate with, and he knew in which general direction to head. That was far more information than he had his he first arrived. Perhaps this archer would give him even more to go on, otherwise he'd merely end up another corpse along Leonidas' path to discovery.

@Ms.Ezra

The cloaked woman had it in her mind that the exchange was over. She was already thinking up where she would go next. Head home? No, not likely. Not yet. There’s still to much to see during the festival. So many to see. Maybe some food is in order. Yes, yes that sounds good to her. But those thoughts are set to the side as she hears grumpy man’s voice call out.

As if on command she stops, and she barely glances over her shoulder in his general direction. Her hood keeping her visage hidden. She doesn’t take a posture of gloating or ‘I told you so’ kind of attitude. As Grim moves closer to her, she now turns to face him. Once more she reaches up from under her cloak, drawing down the mask she wears. And as she does, he would see a smile upon her lips, her eyes watching his. “I’ve been taught that asking for aid reveals strength, not weakness. And as for tricking you… there is nothing I could possibly gain by not being sincere in my want to offer help. I have not… nor will I… ask of anything in return.” She nods then as she turns once more, motioning to him. “Follow me, hu-man. We shall find a respite from the heat.”

Now Edea leads Grim through the crowds, seeming to know where she wants to go. She weaves through the crowd easily, each footfall preventing her from actually coming into contact with any within said crowd. They don’t walk for terribly long… passing a few swordsmanship demonstrations… some food stands… a little corral with a couple animals within… a woman singing accompaniment to a man playing what looks like a sitar… and every few feet she would glance over her shoulder to make sure he is still there. Her pace slows, and she then comes to a stop outside of a small tavern like building. Fairly nondescript, certainly not the fanciest taverns on this block. Quite the contrary. But.. there aren’t many beings around it, or within. She stands outside of the tavern now, motioning to the sign above the door. It reads ‘The Hunter’s House’, and she speaks softly to him. “This is the spot. Nice and cool inside, hu-man.”

Reactions: Dunruffle
“Seeing the world through rose-colored glasses? Hmm. I can’t say I’m familiar with that phrase. You’ll have to explain it to me sometime.” Genessa says stepping into the tailor’s shop. It’s a large but quaint place, with shelves of folded and stacked garments and items of formal wear hung from the walls. An elderly woman with curly white hair and large glasses sits at a table doing embroidery on a patch of cloth. The woman looks up from her embroidery, and gives a large smile. “Lady Orlock! What a surprise!” She puts her work down and comes around the table to meet the two. “If you’re inquiring about your uniforms, well lucky you we’ve got yours and a few others ready.” The woman whistles, and a young girl with mousy brown hair peeks out from a door into the back part of the shop.

“Bring Lady Orlock’s new uniform my dear. And don’t forget the hat.” She tells the girl, who nods and disappears behind the door. She says to Genessa “You’ll like the hat. My granddaughter has taken to their crafting like a fish to water.”

Genessa returns the smile and doesn’t bother to correct the woman on the ‘Lady’ part of her address as it was very much true if not her preferred form of address. “I’m not a fan of hats, but maybe her craft will change my mind.” She then indicates Burton to the woman. “This is Richard Burton, a newly arrived Stranger who wants to blend in. If you would, charge anything he needs to our account.”

At that moment the granddaughter returns with Genessa's uniform folded across her arms, the hat on top. "Here you are, miss. Fitted and ready.”

"Thank you.” Genessa accepts the bundle and walks into the fitting booth at the corner. "You pick your new attire while I change.” She says to Burton before closing the door.
================
The relative peace of the archery grounds is disturbed by the arrival of a horse-driven wagon at nearly top speed, kicking up a cloud of dust as it goes on the road past Grim and Edea.

"Make way! This is an emergency!" the Maleese driver shouts to anyone in their way. It comes to a sudden stop at the nearby city gates by the order of a gate guard.

"Halt! Explain yourself!"

The driver points to the back of his wagon, where it can be seen a woman is holding an elderly Dwarf, who is visibly soaked but conscious, if breathing hard.

"I need to speak to the Red Shield! A Stranger has turned Ender. My kin and I were attacked!" He says in his native tongue, which falls mostly on ignorant ears, the guard among them.

"He's saying he has encountered an Ender. We pulled him from the river.” The woman explains.

The guard steps aside “Third left down the main street, there will be the Red Shield Guild hall. Hurry!” The gate guard waves urgently and the driver gets the horse going at a slow but brisk pace down the main street.
================
“K-King Leonidas?” The man stutters out, his eyes going wide. "You died at the Hot Gates, a century before my time.” His eyes dart around before he speaks again. "My name is Belen, and I will guide you to civilization. I cannot say there will be one to speak our language, but there is a group who will help you as they did me.” The man waits for Leonidas to release him.

Sir Richard Francis Burton

Burton spends some time discussing and getting measurements. He found his initial impression of the tailor quite favorable. He started to ask about colors and types of clothing.

He also gave in to the idea that he would eventually go full native here. That being said, he would let Genessa handle uniforms. Compensation still had not been discussed.

He discussed with the tailor places in the proposed uniform for his weapons as well. Finally he decided on two outfits. One made with greens and browns for expeditions, and a second in red with black trim. He had the younger woman come over and discuss head coverings. He decided on one cloth head wrap for the city and something of a durable hat for expeditions.

He hoped Grimm wasn't getting into trouble.

@Ms.Ezra @Camleen @Dunruffle

Last edited:
Grimm frowned as the hooded girl led him through the crowded streets. Where the girl weaved around bystanders like water, Grimm ended up roughly shouldering past them. Of course several men (and two women) did not react well to the brutish maneuvers and tried to intimidate Grimm into apologizing. But the bystanders quickly changed their attitudes when they realized Grimm was armed and growling like a feral animal.

The commotion of the passing wagon and subsequent shouting drew Grimm's eye as well as many others. While several citizens began fussing about, Grimm simply dismissed the commotion as some sort of banditry. Even if another Stranger was involved, Grimm did not even know where to begin with organizing a hunting party. Shrugging to himself, Grimm returned to following the hooded girl.

Stopping outside the tavern, Grimm looked around cautiously before following the girl inside. The interior was definitely cooler but Grimm had to squint as his eyes adjusted to the dim interior.

@Camleen @Ms.Ezra

Last edited:
Reactions: Gands
Leonidas retracts his blade from the man's neck. "A century passed, huh?" he thinks to himself. He's curious as to the workings of time, but pushes that to the back of his mind as he sheathes his sword and helps Belen to his feet. "Well," he begin hoisting the man up, "let's see if they can be of any help then." He gathers his things and makes sure to walk behind his guide, on the off chances that Belen turns out to be a liar, having the man's back makes him an easy target to hit. "So, a century had passed since the Hot Gates? What became of the Persians? What of Sparta?". Leonidas had an abundance of questions, these he asked while keeping an eye and ear to their surroundings. Even if those archers had all run off, there was no guarantee that there wasn't a nasty surprise waiting on them on their course to civilization.

As with those around her, Edea stops when she hears the commotion. When she hears the shouting. She pauses midstride and looks over her shoulder towards the careening carriage, one of her hands absently tugging upwards upon the mask covering her lower face. She squints as she watches, as she listens to the hurried words of the Maleese. Red Shield… Stranger… Ender… She now half turns to better survey the scene, and she glances towards Grimm. He doesn’t seem terribly concerned… so if he is part of a group of Strangers, then he isn’t concerned it’s someone he would know. Or have had interactions with in this world. But Edea makes mental note to investigate later. Because now the Red Shield will be involved, and rightfully so. If she can steer clear of them, well that would be to her advantage.

Now she motions to Grimm as she steps inside of the tavern with him. It is indeed cooler inside, and the place seems a little busy. Not so terribly that they will have to fight for a seat… in fact Edea finds a table not terribly far from the door. A small round table, thick and heavy. 4 matching chairs around it. She sits down upon one of the chairs, letting out a soft sigh. “If a Stranger has indeed become an Ender… that makes things very… complicated…” she says softly, glancing towards Grimm.

And perhaps he would notice… a trio of pedestals in the middle of the tavern itself. The 3 pedestals supporting what looks like a skull. Of an animal? Well maybe… but the skull is a good 4 feet in width, with horns curling from it’s front lobe. And in the center of the bleached white skull, a broken hole. Just large enough for a man to fit his fist through.

Welcome to The Hunter’s House.
Gaigo001.jpg

Reactions: Gands and Dunruffle
Genessa comes out of the fitting room in her new uniform adjusting the hat to sit just right. She smiles at the young girl and tips the hat "Very good job young miss." She then looks at the neat stack of clothing Burton has acquired, and gives a nod of approval. "Glad to see you have sensible taste Mr. Burton. But let's have those wrapped and you can dress later." Genessa pats her flat belly "I'm a bit peckish."

The pair leave the happy and grateful tailors, and Genessa looks down the street, her hand jutting out to point out a sign dangling outside one of the larger buildings "You may appreciate The Hunter's House, Mr. Burton. It's owned and operated by the Hunter's Guild, and they adorn the walls with their members' trophies." She starts walking that way, weaving around the festive people. "Most prefer The Count's Tavern, the taverns owned by my family, but I will be the first to admit the prices are...hmm how do you say..." Genessa scrunches her nose "...for the higher classes. Yes, that's it."

Entering The Hunter's House, Burton will see the walls, as promised, adorned with various preserved and mounted animals, from bears to large lizards, and of course the large skull at the center of all the tables. But Genessa instead sees Grimm, and standing next to someone in a cloak with a concealed face.

"Hello Mr. Mann. Was the trip to the archery grounds satisfactory?" She gives the other...woman? a smile "And you found a friend? Well, if only all Strangers were as cooperative as you two!" She extends her hand to the cloaked woman.

"Good day to you. Senior Operative Genessa Orlock."

==========================

Belen accepts the hand of Leonidas, and answers the King's questions as he leads the way back to the site of the ambush. "Persia? Ha! Beaten back to their own lands after you spat in the face of Xerxes. Now Persia is under the dominion of the mighty Macedonian Empire, same as the rest of Greece. Save for Sparta, of course. King Phillip saw fit to leave them to their own governance, and Alexander has been busy conquering the rest of the world."

Belen looks around to get his bearings, before waving for Leonidas to follow. "This way, to Doren, a scale scavenger village." He explains, as if expecting him to know what 'scale scavenger' meant in this world. The archer steps over the bodies of his fallen comrades with little more care than those of the small and stout men they had attacked. He leads the King down the winding road as it leaves the river's side and enters a forest. Soon the man takes off his gloves and rubs the back of his neck with his right hand. An astute(or bored) observer would see that he has a swastika tattooed into the back of his hand.

Reactions: WanderingWriter
Richard Francis Burton

Burton picks up his pile of clothes as they leave the tailor shop, pleased at the skill of the women there and his choices. He followed Genessa to the Hunter's House. Entering, he felt very at home here. it felt more Victorian than the other places he had been. He took some time looking at all the various beast trophies.

As they found Grimm, he gave the man a polite nod. After Genessa extends her hand, he does as well.
" Richard Francis Burton, well met."

Last edited:
Grimm admired the many trophies adorning the walls of the tavern, but he was mostly fixated on the large demonic skull. He turned slightly to Edea and pointed at the large skull. "What manner of creature is that skull from? It looks like something out of a fairytale my mother used to tell me at night. If the beasts of this world are similar to that dead one I will relish the challenge of hunting them." As Genessa and Burton entered the tavern, Grimm gloweres at Genessa's cheerful banter. This girl is not my...friend..as you are suggesting. She has offered me knowledge that would help me in the future and she took me here. What are you doing here Genessa of Red?"

As she sits at the table, Edea watches Grimm from under her hood, her arms folded on the tabletop. She remembers the first time she came into this place, when she was brought into it by some of the men. She was horrified with all of the skulls and war trophies. But now… they are almost as second nature to her.

While her mind lingers on the news of a possible Ender.. she can’t help but be amused with Grimm’s fascination with the giant skull at the center of the room. She pushes herself to her feet and moves purposefully towards him, her hands folded under her cloak now. She stands just behind him and to his left as she stares at the giant and slightly damaged skull. “It’s a Gaigo.” she starts in a softer tone. Now one of her hands comes up to brush lightly against one of the horns of the beast-skull. “Gigantic creatures that would roam the wilds. They would kill and devour any of the races without hesitation.” She now turns her head to look towards Grimm “We were told that when you see one” her hands come up now, widening her own eyes in an exaggerated motion “they cast a magick on you and make you their slaves. And then they eat you.” She nods as her hands fall to her sides, and then she looks back towards the skull. “But they were gone before I was ever born, wiped out in the Great War. Most of what I know of them are just bedtime tales. So, no hunting for us I’m afraid.”

And when Grimm turns his attention to Genessa and Richard, Edea does also. She turns her form to face them, her cloak swaying gently about her slim form. She looks to Grimm out of the corner of her eyes when he speaks, and then back to Genessa as she reaches out and lightly shakes her hand. “Good day to you, m’lady Orlock. And yes, I am this hu-man’s friend. I am Edea.” She nods to Genessa and then she would shake Richard’s hand also. “M’lord, well greetings. I am honored to meet you, sire.” Then back towards Genessa she looks as her hand falls away from Richard’s. “M’lady… is there an Ender now? Has one emerged with my” she motions to Grimm as she watches Genessa “Hu-man friend here?” She, apparently, hasn’t put together that Richard also is a Stranger, since he’s not so dissimilar from a Maleese. Save for the fact he has an odd sounding name.

Reactions: Dunruffle and Gands
Genessa was about to return the pleasantries of this Edea, and ignore Grimm's insistence he has not made a new friend by continuing to refer to her as such, but the question she is posed makes her cheery smile falter.

"Ender? What do you mean?" All thoughts of the friendly lunch vanish as Genessa gets into the mindset needed of her position. She points between Grimm and Burton "These two did have a third crossover with them, but she's gone now i know not where. Then there was a fourth, another woman, also....gone to parts unknown." She makes a grunt of frustration "And now a fifth? I struggle to recall if this many have crossed over before in such a short time." She shakes her head "Questions for later. How did you hear of an Ender?" She asks Edea.

Richard Francis Burton

In his mind, Burton thinks... so much for lunch. Thinking to himself, it's possible that Joan of Arc, who seemed mad to begin with went further down that process since Dean ran off with her. If there are more strangers in such a short time, at least in Burton's mind, given what Genessa has said, it's a bad omen. All of that, plus any talk of his joining or recompense likely gone and done with for the moment at least.

"Genessa, all due respect, perhaps this kind of talk best be done at your office? That and I think I have a few things to add about those two women from the other day myself. "

@Ms.Ezra @Camleen @Dunruffle