Strange Misconceptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also legitimately tried to dig to China on several occasions in my sandbox. I always got to where I started hitting clay, then I decided I simply needed better tools.
Well, I mean, you could legitimately make it. If you had tools and a suit that could withstand at least 6,000 celsius. And work through plasma.

For some reason, when I was around 5 or 6 I used to think that I could communicate with people around the world through the air vents in my house. All I knew was how to count to 10 in Spanish, but that did not stop me from shouting it into the floor and hoping to get a response back. Cue my Aunt (visiting at the time) asking wtf I was doing.

Due to the fact that my mother and most other female adults in my life were on the heavier-set side when I was a wee little child, I used to think that their cleavage was actually a scar from when they gave birth and a baby came out of them.

Like, I guess I just didn't comprehend the anatomical shape of breasts, and, instead of seeing two round thingies on people's chests, I just saw it all as one mass of flesh with a divide going down the middle -- a divide that I apparently assumed went all the way down to their bellies (and I blame that last part on adult women bending down to talk to me or whatever and me being able to see down their shirts -- and apparently their cleavage just looked like a massive chasm to me that I thought went on way farther than it actually did). Point is, I thought that was the hole that babies came out of.

Also, I used to think that "phoenix" was spelled as "pheonix" (because that just makes more sense??), and I don't think I even realized that I was wrong until my preteen years. I was very confused by the actual spelling of "phoenix". I'm still confused by it. And every time I see it written out, it still just looks like it should be pronounced "foh-nix", and it always feels wrong to spell it the correct way.

Similarly, I thought that "bury" was pronounced "buhr-y", and I thought it was a slightly different word from "bury" pronounced "bare-y". Not a completely different word, just... a different verb tense or something, I guess. :/ I still never completely grew out of this one, though, and, even though I understand that it's technically wrong, I still can't help but ready "bury" as "buhr-y". That's how it sounds in my head and, sometimes, that's even how I read it out loud. I still say the word normally when I'm not reading it, but... yeah.

• Love
Reactions: Indabayou
For some reason, when I was around 5 or 6 I used to think that I could communicate with people around the world through the air vents in my house.
This reminds me of my little brother. He used to think the Fraggles lived in the vents in the fireplace. He'd stuff food and pencils and other things in there for them.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Well, I mean, you could legitimately make it. If you had tools and a suit that could withstand at least 6,000 celsius. And work through plasma.

I imagine gravity might also become a problem after a while.

Reactions: Brovo
Due to the fact that my mother and most other female adults in my life were on the heavier-set side when I was a wee little child, I used to think that their cleavage was actually a scar from when they gave birth and a baby came out of them.

Like, I guess I just didn't comprehend the anatomical shape of breasts, and, instead of seeing two round thingies on people's chests, I just saw it all as one mass of flesh with a divide going down the middle -- a divide that I apparently assumed went all the way down to their bellies (and I blame that last part on adult women bending down to talk to me or whatever and me being able to see down their shirts -- and apparently their cleavage just looked like a massive chasm to me that I thought went on way farther than it actually did). Point is, I thought that was the hole that babies came out of.

Also, I used to think that "phoenix" was spelled as "pheonix" (because that just makes more sense??), and I don't think I even realized that I was wrong until my preteen years. I was very confused by the actual spelling of "phoenix". I'm still confused by it. And every time I see it written out, it still just looks like it should be pronounced "foh-nix", and it always feels wrong to spell it the correct way.

Similarly, I thought that "bury" was pronounced "buhr-y", and I thought it was a slightly different word from "bury" pronounced "bare-y". Not a completely different word, just... a different verb tense or something, I guess. :/ I still never completely grew out of this one, though, and, even though I understand that it's technically wrong, I still can't help but ready "bury" as "buhr-y". That's how it sounds in my head and, sometimes, that's even how I read it out loud. I still say the word normally when I'm not reading it, but... yeah.

Never heard that one before, but wow I would have been terrified.

Same thing happened to me with the name Phoebe! Why can't things be spelled the way stuff sounds. Petition to transition to IPA and the metric system forever?

Also a lot of people where I live pronounce it that way. It's more a regional thing I guess, not exactly wrong, but not the standard English pronunciation. *shrugs*

Never heard that one before, but wow I would have been terrified.

Haha. I actually didn't find it scary for whatever reason. I really didn't put too much thought into it. I kinda just how assumed that's how things worked and didn't question it. XD

Haha. I actually didn't find it scary for whatever reason. I really didn't put too much thought into it. I kinda just how assumed that's how things worked and didn't question it. XD
Glad that didn't traumatize you then xD

4. I liked to mimic animal sounds as a kid, and I thought I was the only one that could do that.

Heh... before my voice changed, I could do a very convincing eagle/falcon cry and wolf/coyote howl. Can't remember now which I used, but I scared my grandmother with it once. She thought it was a real animal sound. Wasn't intentional, just felt like making the sound while we (and other family members) were out on a walk.

I was around 5 (ish?) when Bon Jovi came out with the song 'It's My Life', and I immediately thought it was a song about Wolverine. Even now, it feels like his ultimate theme song to me.

Oh man...

So, I was convinced there were octopi in the toilets that would grab you and suck you into the toilet. Especially when you flushed. This went on for years. So going to the bathroom was a constant time of fear and I was always pulling my pants up and getting everything done before flushing and running in terror from the bathrooms.

I thought there were giant fish in any natural body of water thanks to a bogus story some adults tried to tell a cousin of mine to scare him. It scared me and I wouldnt go out into any water I couldnt see the bottom of past my waist for ages.

Because of my cousins I was convinced there were maneating coyotes out in the woods outside our house for awhile and wouldnt go out at night or without very strong lights and adults.

I was convinced there were ghosts and/or a mouse named Jerry that stole my things when really it was my cousins/brother.

I used to think there was a "big needle" they could give you at the hospital if your parents asked... In my head it was big enough to go in through your belly and poke out your back. I was never the fondest of needles in the first place and my parents threatening with "the big needle" didnt help.

I used to give human qualities to inanimate objects a lot... Like I thought the VCR we used to had looked hungry when I was little, so I fed it a grilled cheese sandwich.

There's more, I'm sure... I had... Interesting family that loved to tell tall tales to impressionable youth.

• Love
I used to give human qualities to inanimate objects a lot... Like I thought the VCR we used to had looked hungry when I was little, so I fed it a grilled cheese sandwich.
And I'm sure the VCR liked that very much. So much, in fact, that it probably didn't even want to go back to tapes after it had a taste of grilled cheese.

• Love
I was around 5 (ish?) when Bon Jovi came out with the song 'It's My Life', and I immediately thought it was a song about Wolverine. Even now, it feels like his ultimate theme song to me.

Funny, but I think you're right...

So, I was convinced there were octopi in the toilets that would grab you and suck you into the toilet. Especially when you flushed. This went on for years. So going to the bathroom was a constant time of fear and I was always pulling my pants up and getting everything done before flushing and running in terror from the bathrooms.

I thought there were giant fish in any natural body of water thanks to a bogus story some adults tried to tell a cousin of mine to scare him. It scared me and I wouldnt go out into any water I couldnt see the bottom of past my waist for ages.

There's more, I'm sure... I had... Interesting family that loved to tell tall tales to impressionable youth.
Were you ever afraid of sharks in the bathtub? That was a big one for me (they were only there when you couldn't see through the water in the tub), and you seem to have a bit of a marine life theme going there.

Another funny thing... I remember reading something somewhere about a kid doing that. For all I know, it may have been you. Small world.

Were you ever afraid of sharks in the bathtub? That was a big one for me (they were only there when you couldn't see through the water in the tub), and you seem to have a bit of a marine life theme going there.
Nah. But I was afraid of small fish biting in lakes and swimming pools... I thought they had teeth.
Another funny thing... I remember reading something somewhere about a kid doing that. For all I know, it may have been you. Small world.
It very well could be. : P

Reminds me of the book 'Great Lies to Tell Small Kids', except that one was about putting ham into the dvd player. There were some other great gems though.
2917612378_1f36ce333e_b.jpg

3.jpg

Another one.

My grandfather had a pair of big shells on the coffee table at the cottage. While everyone was like "if you put your ears up to them, you can hear the ocean!" which I always just took as "it sounds cool" instead of it being literally the ocean, but my concern was that there was something living in the shell, like a crab or a spider, that would come out and bite my ear if I listened for too long.

• Love
Reactions: Tempest and Greenie
but my concern was that there was something living in the shell, like a crab or a spider, that would come out and bite my ear if I listened for too long.
Oh this was a fear of mine as well! I had this huge conch which I would be wary to listen to ^_^'.

Reactions: Tempusst
Status
Not open for further replies.