Story Without a Single Word

• Thread starter Energetic Alice
  • Start date
E

Energetic Alice

Original poster
Write a short story without typing in a word you commonly use. Afterwards, rewrite the story in a way that the word is included.
EXAMPLE:

Chosen Word: Was
Story Title: XXX

The moon shined brightly in the night sky, wolves howling in the distance. Alice collapsed, blood flowing from a wound in her chest.
"P-Please, someone... H-Help me..."
The night did not respond, silent but for the sound of animals farther off. The young girl whimpered, trying to stop the blood from her wound.
All she saw before falling to the ground: a man's silhouette, knife in hand.

Rewrite:
The moon was shining brightly in the night, what was probably wolves howling in the distance. Alice collapsed, blood flowing from a wound in her chest.
"P-Please, someone... Help me..."
There was no answer. The young girl whimpered, trying to stop the blood from her wound.
All she saw before falling to the ground was a man's silhouette, knife in hand.

The moon shined brightly
*shone ;-P

Words avoided: was/were

The courtyard represented a true oasis; especially on such a gorgeous day. Occasional clouds cast shadows on the desert hills and under the garden trees. The fountain bubbled and foamed musically, the birds sang in accompaniment, and Aaron Mischell huddled, ragged and bleeding, beneath the pear tree.

It was a gorgeous day, no one would deny it. The courtyard was a true oasis in the desert, shaded not only by the clouds which cast shade in spots over the sand, but by the pear trees growing within its gates. It was watered by a fountain of clear, bubbling water, and entertained by the music of the same. Below the clear, crystalline splashes and the accompanying palace birds, muffled by a scraped and dirty hand, were the ragged breaths of a boy, bleeding beneath the pears.

I like the first version better. It felt contrived to work 'was' into the scene

Last edited: