Stormy changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I made an exchange," shrugging lightly she tried to hide the disappointment that came with Kristof's lack of enthusiasm and continued to explain, "a friend took in a storm hatchling so they needed an amplifier to check out some things." Carefully returning the scale to the box she wrapped it in gently, taking care with her friend's scale. "A scale for a scale is a fair deal, and the hatchling needed it." Not that it had been comfortable to remove it...

"Please don't think I don't appreciate it," Kristof said as he gleamed the feint hint of disappointment in the dragon's face, "It's been a long day and I'm primarily focused on maintaining an air of normalcy. It was very kind of you help out a friend like that regardless, I don't imagine scales come off easy." He finished his last comment with a chuckle then looked across the courtyard, pointing to a small wooden structure that hugged the outer wall, "That's were we're heading," He held out his hand towards the dragon, but seemed to change his mind last second and instead extending it towards Tarch, "Don't laugh, It'll take me the better part of an hour if I try to float over there myself."

The shack was, well, a shack. The only indication that it wasn't just some hermit's hovel was the pens of assorted, exotic beasties and the heady aroma of hickory smoke. There was no door, just a cloth cover that Tarch pushed through, Kristof quite literally in tow. Inside a man stood idly behind a butcher block, husky in build with a large frazzled beard and a head of hair to match. He wore only a leather apron and a pair of ankle length pantaloons. A roarous laugh erupted from the fellow at the spectacle of Krostof being forcibly dragged behind the orc, a laugh that earned him a scornful glare from the young Count.

"Alright Tarch, let go. We're here." Tarch complied and then looked a corner where he wouldn't get in the way. A momentous task, considering both the small size of the shack and the variety meats that hung freely within.

"What you be needin' sir and ma'am?" Wayne greeted, tears of laughter still running down his face.

Returning the now neatly packed charm she nodded in understanding, Kristof had survived an assassination attempt. "My shoulder is still a little sore..." Grimacing lightly she remembered well the feeling of getting loose and out the single scale. 'But you can't really do it with dead dragons...' Thinking the last, more somber thought to herself she was prepared to keep a fake smile on her face when knowing the reasons, but it wasn't needed with Kristof's next stunt. Viatrix couldn't help but snicker softly the last part of the trip, finding the scene easily amusing.

When entering the hut she was glad someone else shared her amusement but was again sidetracked as she saw her favorite game and bird. "Ooh, you've got duck! Ah, and deer~" Skipping over to each of the meats she turned to the butcher and said seriously. "A hind leg of the deer, breast and liver of the duck."

"A woman 'oo appreciates 'er meats, eh?" The butcher laughed again and set to work immediately, picking some choice meats and hacking away as he continued speaking, "I'm s'prised Sir Jung 'ere brought to my little side o' t'e manor, 'ee usually keeps pertty far, 'perently 'ee's too good for my meats 'er something."

"I'm right here." Kristof interupted.

"Indeed," Wayne continued, a skilled draw of his butcher knife severing the hind leg of a hanging buck, "But, wit' all of the respect of an 'umble servant, I was talkin' to the lady an' it's rude to in'erupt, eh?" Kristof rolled his eyes, but said nothing, "Any'oo, as I were sayin', the Count 'ere lives off eatin' leafs an' grass er somethin', 'im bringin' you t' my 'umble meatworks mus' means 'ee likes you, an' not jus like friend's, eh? 'Ee sends a servant fer friends."

"Wayne, shut your mouth." The butcher complied with a wry grin and continued his task in silence until he was finished, laying out Viatrix's before him, all wrapped in dressing linen. "That should las' you a bit methinks ma'am. You be wantin' anythin'?" He turned to the Count.

"No."

Viatrix was bouncing lightly on her feet while the meat was gathered, keen eyes watching as she got her beloved treats. Holding back her laughter while the chatter from Wayne kept on she grinned widely, her teeth showing and seemingly human. The hilarity continued with the comment on him liking her as more than a friend. 'Oh man...'

Shaking her head softly in amusement she finally spoke cheerfully. "Well, he promised I could take my pick since I went along with one of his bluffs. This will be a nice lunch~" Food was a better thing to think about than her relationship with the young Count. She liked him, the servants and all the people here too much to play favorites or think things too deeply, as long as her belly was full and she remained safe then she'd be good.

Kristof stood fuming, half-tempted to have the butcher thrown in a cell for a day or two to make up for his outspokenness. It's what his father would've done, hells, his father would probably have the man hanged. Kristof was not his father however, he was 'soft' as multiple people, from Barons to Brewers, have told him. Seeing Viatrix as cheerful as she was further softened him, whether or not she received the information with any alarm stuck hard in his mind. Thankfully she seemed unphased and held her usual demeanor.

"So," The Count started in a desperate attempt to distract himself from what had just happened, "As fun as this has all been, I assume you came here for an actual reason, not to torment would-be assassins and listen to the ramblings of meatcutters." With a thought he willed himself slowly forward, making way out the cloth 'door' and into the courtyard proper. Tarch went to follow, but was dismissed with a raised palm, "You're dismissed for the day Tarch, you've already done plenty. Enjoy yourself."

Picking with her the bag of meat she smiled happily to the butcher. "Thank you~" Happily carrying it with her she followed Kristof out before a little privacy was finally given to them. Smiling more calmly at the orc she assured him mildly. "Don't worry, I don't eat human flesh. Never have and never will." She wasn't actually looking forward to discussing this, but it was yet another needed time like that coming and so preparations needed to be made. Annoyingly enough.

When she was finally left alone with Kristof she spoke mildly, more serious than she normally were. "This fall we're reducing our import of your depleted crystals. The Elder dragons made the decision for a low-crystal season a couple of days ago." It was a good time to have a pause, it was a good and bountiful season for all.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Wait," a sort of dignified urgency touched his voice, tempered only by a need to polite. As if skating on ice he quickly shifted his weight, essentially throwing himself and 'sliding' in front if Viatrix, cutting her off in her tracks. "'Low crystal season'? Why? Is there something wrong with the crystals? Quality can be improved if needed." Genuine worry scared the Count's face, "Is it possible for your elders to delay this 'Low Crystal Season' for..." he bobbed his head in thought, "... Say, three, maybe four years?"

"No, no, no, the quality is just fine. It's excellent in fact." Grimacing softly Viatrix braced herself for this discussion, this was why she liked it when it was more normal. "We won't stop import completely, of course, it's just that for two to three months we'll be reducing it to balance things out. You know what the crystals do to us, and it's occasionally needed to cut back a little." That's why they had decided on the fall season, there should be enough of a bounty to support whatever needs the county had. "It's been a decade since the last time after all."

Kristof sighed, "Alright, two or three months should be doable. Not any longer though." The death of his father, Count Oliver Jung, had already placed great strain onto his family and estate. Contracts only held in place by strict reinforcement or even just a healthy dose of intimidation had fallen apart, including a particularly lucrative deal with the regional Mage's Guild. "I do indeed know what effect the crystals have on your race, so I'll respect your elder's decisions in this matter if they believe a cut back is needed." He maintained a sort of stoic silence for a moment or two, thinking. His demeanor then grew soft, "I suppose that means you won't be visiting as frequently?"

"It's mostly the fall season, yes, it's a busy time for most and it's good to reduce distractions." Nodding lightly she understood the difficulties of the young Count, she had met the previous Count a few times and not one meeting had been genuinely enjoyable for her. Looking over at him she smiled wryly. "And no, my visits won't lessen. Since we're importing less it's important to import high quality, and you know our rules of payments based on quality." The greater quality, the higher the value.

"I suppose you'll be one carrying out these inspections then?" Kristof started, his mood suddenly improving, "If so I'm sure I can have a sample prepared within the week, or even a few days if need be. Until then you're free to stay here if you wish, I can have someone prepare a room suitable for either of your forms." Like a ghostly dancer he swung himself back to Viatrix's side, wrapping one arm around the dragon and making a sweeping gesture with the other, "Consider the estate your playground... Figuratively of course. Just don't scare anyone too badly." He winked.

"This estate is already my playground," grimacing lightly at him she grinned next, "I do play with the little hatchlings here a lot." Looking over the area she sighed softly, knowing there wasn't a need to confirm Kristof's assumption. "I'm going to take you up on that offer, flying to and from is going to be a pain and I want a place to take naps in my real form between all the busy times." Turning her head to the huggy Count she added dryly. "Especially since I bet you're going to round up all the highest quality ones to make the most money possible in this coming dry spell."

"Then it's done, I shall have a servant prepare the room." He let go of the dragon and gave her a practiced bow, "You're free to do as you want, I'll be in the court to discus your revelation with the council and where we should go from here. Feel free to interrupt if you need anything, the other members might take offense to it, but it's not their place to be scorning guests." He angled himself in the direction of the castle and realized something. He drew from his reagent pouch again, this time what seemed to be a small vial of white sand which he poured into his palm and then softly blew away. A sudden wind kicked up, apparently too sudden to the Count who was knocked off his balance with a muted "Fuck!" and carried away as he tried desperately to regain equilibrium.

Returning the bow smoothly Viatrix smiled. "Well then, I will take you up on your word and do as I please." She would have to contact the elders about the decision, but she could let them stew a little longer before she gave them the notice. Watching him leave she chuckled softly as the floating Count lost his balance and moved on. Now... Right, right, the kitchens. The head chef did want to gift those bangles to a certain someone...

Humming softly she made her way and carried both bags and meat with her like they were the lightest things. Dropping by the kitchen she delivered the bangles and the head chef in his joy readily offered to cook up the meat for her to a nice lunch. Though she would be fine eating them raw she happily agreed to it, knowing that her human relations needed to be constantly maintained and entertained. Her good mood and happy disposition was what had qualified her for being a liaison and she knew that good will was far harder to maintain than ill will.

While the chef got to work the kids nearby called out. "Ah, it's Trix!" The kids flocked around her and she grinned brightly. "Hey~ Tay, you've grown since last~" Addressing the ringleader of the flock she went through each one, greeting them all before joining them for a fun game of tag outside. Outside was soon filled with shrieks of joy as Viatrix happily played the 'demon' and chased them around.

The 'court' as Kristof had so flatteringly called it, was a small semi-circular room bereft of all furnishing excepting a single table in the middle with six chairs around it, All plain excepting one with the crest of Jung engraved into it's back; The Count's chair. There were no windows, lighting only coming from a few magic light orbs that hung around the ceiling, giving the already oppressive chamber a sinister air. When the Count entered three of the members of the council were already present: Jerick Jung, Kristof's uncle and Head Magician; Olan Breighgoch, lead planner and supervisor of the mines; And Finally, Clyde Gibs, the head treasurer. They all sat in silence, Olan and Clyde peering over a scroll while Jerick just looked straight ahead at Kristof with a formless stare. Kristof sat in his chair and examined those two left empty, if they weren't here already it was unlikely for them to show up at all, 'Very Well.'

"So, it seems that the Dragon Elders are instituting a slowd-"

"We Know." The other three men interrupted in unison.

"Oh, uh, alright." It seemed like news traveled faster than he thought, "In order prepare for the slowdown we need to consilid-"

"Already done." Only two interrupted this time, with Olan continuing alone, "We'll have appraisers start going through every crystal we have starting tomorrow, we'll be pulling out low quality crystals and putting them in storage until the slowdown stops, however I fear this may not be enough."

"It won't be," interjected the treasurer, "Already we are in massive debt to the Holte's, and they have been getting a bit antsy of late, what with the war brewing and all. At the moment we would be needing _double_ our current trade with the dragons should we with to pay them off in a years time. Now it will only be getting worse. If you had only maintained the contract with the Mage Guild we would be fine."

"You know very well why I cancelled that contract honorable treasurer," Kristof did his best not to raise his voice in anger, "I cannot support their building of magic-fueled weapons. I've seen some of their plans, you've seen some of their plans even. You all should know it was immoral to continue our partnership."

"Immoral?" Snapped Clyde, "What's 'immoral' is your contempt for your own people! The harvest season has been a worse even than usual and if current trends continue we won't be able to import enough food to last the winter. Say what you want about your father, but he wouldn't have left those under his charge to starve!"

Kristof stood unable to find words, he looked to his uncle for assistance, but the man only replied with a silent glare.

***​

Jeremy had finally managed to clamber to his feet, using the molding walls of his cell as a support. The guards must have figured him a non-threat at this point as they had only left a single man to watch over him. Well, 'man' was incorrect, the assassin figured the guard no older than sixteen and not a well grown sixteen at that. Acne pocked the youths face under wisps patchy facial hair and the kettlehelm he wore over his head was so poorly fitted that the brim sat over his eyes. Jeremy couldn't help but silently giggle as the boy constantly readjusted the helmet so he could see.

"Methinks you should get another pot there boy," The would-be assassin chided.

"I'm no boy, now shut up!"

"What's your name, boy?"

"That's none of your damn business! Now sit down and shut up!"

Jeremy just shrugged, "Well, I'll just continue calling you boy then."

The guard fumed, by the way he looked at the lock the assassin knew he was thinking of coming in to the cell and 'teach him a lesson'. "I'm no- Just call me Frederik." The lad took a breath, trying to calm himself down.

"See, that's all I needed. Now, Frederik, is it true that the Count's dragoness friend is going to eat me?"

"Trix?" Fred responded, obviously familiar with who the assassin was talking about, "I don't think so, I don't think she would have that in..." He stopped, mid sentence realizing his mistake, "Er, I mean, I don't know. I've heard stories of her eating whole villages and... uh..." It was too late, the assassin had already known enough by the time the boy had called her 'Trix'. Far too cutesy for a man eater. He simply nodded in thanks to Fred, who was now stammering in an attempt to come up with tall tales, "... She once sank a whole navy just to watch the sailors drown, she once, uh..." Jeremy just sat down and laid back against the cold walls of his cell, content with listening to the boy continue floundering.

Sergeant Killigan looked upon the sight with minor concern, Viatrix was chasing around the children. Now, under normal circumstances this would have caused no alarm to the veteran guard who had known of the dragon since she first started visiting six years ago. As it was though, a couple of junior sentries had apparently heard she planned to eat someone, Kristof's assassin. Again, under normal circumstances the sergeant would have blown off these concerns as the superstitions of the inexperienced, but the sincerity in there voices convinced him to explore the issue.

"Viatrix," He called out, "I need to speak to you quickly."​

"Tay, caught you~" Playfully hugging the boy she looked up at the sergeant who called after her. Tay, who had been laughing and squirming in the dragon's friendly hold, looked between them in confusion as Viatrix seemed to understand what the need was. "Just a second!" Calling back out to the sergeant she sighed softly and let got of the boy. Ruffling his hair she smiled gently. "Sorry, got some adult business to take care of. I'll be back soon to play some more, okay?" Frowning Tay clearly didn't like it and the gathered children looked even more upset as Viatrix headed over to the sergeant while waving bye to the children.
Catching up with the sergeant she spoke calmly while smiling lightly. "So, any stupid rumors reached you today?"

"Plenty." The sergeant spoke stoically, "One of them even happens to involve you, who would have thought, eh?" He chucked an insincere chuckle, "Anyways, some of my men have apparently caught wind that you're out to eat somebody. Now usually I wouldn't think of such a thing, it's quite preposterous I know, but I'm obligated to keep the peace. I know you are of no danger to those children, and knows this pains me to say, but you're going to have to leave them alone. Just until the rumors blow over, is that alright?"

Looking at him calmly she lightly studied him before sighing softly. "I politely decline your request. While I did play along to the little threat of your Count there is no way I would actually eat humans, and while I am not blind to the concerns of the ones who voiced them..." Pausing a little she turned serious, a side she had shown one time too many already. "There should be no reason to act like the concerns are true. Why feed the ember of distrust?"

"That wasn't a request Miss Pascal," The sergeant casually laid his hand on the hilt of the sword at his belt, "While I believe you wouldn't hurt anyone, I can't have you just prancing around with children while the persist. You know how people are, if we try covering up or disproving rumors that would just make them more sure the rumors are true. Please, just... Just do something else."

Status
Not open for further replies.