Steven Universe RP

Should them Gems be trying to escape these humans that discover them or would they get hailed as 'heroes' by these humans that find them?

Should them Gems be trying to escape these humans that discover them or would they get hailed as 'heroes' by these humans that find them?

That depends on both the reactions from the gems and from the humans involved in the encounter. I can't dictate everything that happens in the RP. XD

On a mildly related note, does anyone know/like Game Grumps? Someone made a gem au of them and it's actually really really good! A lot of cool ideas cropped up there and maybe it'll help us brainstorm a little? http://alligator-jigglin-fever.tumblr.com/tagged/crystal-grumps

I'm not too familiar with current Game Grumps, but there's a Gem AU out there for nearly everything, and I'm sure we could use any of them to brainstorm ideas.

Was there anything in particular you wanted to point out with this one, though?

I didn't realize just how many pages there were in that tag, so sorry for that. I was thinking kind of along the lines of how they came up with their/their fusions' weapons and backstories, and how fusion works differently for each of them. Of course, theres more to work off of with them since its based on real people, but I thought some of the stuff would spark some ideas for our characters

I didn't realize just how many pages there were in that tag, so sorry for that. I was thinking kind of along the lines of how they came up with their/their fusions' weapons and backstories, and how fusion works differently for each of them. Of course, theres more to work off of with them since its based on real people, but I thought some of the stuff would spark some ideas for our characters

Um... can you be a bit more specific?

What exactly about the way that people came up with these things is interesting to you?

Admittedly it really isn't feasible right now for me to dig through that tag just to try to find what you're talking about for reasons I'll talk more about later today...

Um... can you be a bit more specific?

What exactly about the way that people came up with these things is interesting to you?

Admittedly it really isn't feasible right now for me to dig through that tag just to try to find what you're talking about for reasons I'll talk more about later today...

Sorry for leaving you hanging, meant to get to that after my last post. Today is crazy. So examples:

• Some of them are from an elite trained force, but were punished for going against their code (one ended up trapped in a music box a la lapis)
  • Two can fuse without even dancing, but this causes jealousy in one when the second fuses with others and does amazing dances
  • Slowly becoming more in sync the more they fuse (from four arms/eyes and stuff to only two, and so on )
  • Gem cannibalism (breaking and eating the gems of conquered enemies)
  • Some weapons: lazer arm canon (fuses with sword to become a light saber type thing), supersonic headphones that make shockwaves, a shovel (weird at first glance but very handy)

Also another idea I just had now: what if one of the gems was handmade by the others? Like the kindergartens have been down for centuries, so they had to do all the digging and planting themselves? Homeworld couldn't have ALWAYS had the tech we see now.

Interesting, it reminds me of some of the ideas I came up with some of my gem OCs I'm drawing. The story in a nutshell is that they are powerful when fused but broke away from both armies and just hid for millennia because they didn't wanna fuse to fight anymore. One blended in with the humans and adapted a lot of their mannerisms and culture, while the other wants to go back home like Lapis but can't because they basically deserted everyone.

Some more ideas because I am terrible:
  • Spy gems, gems who are designed to blend in with the population to assess them
  • Assassin gems
  • Tiny gems who are designed to be the 'drum boy' or the servant
  • Gem nobles
  • Gems that were always destined to be in an object a la Lapis
  • Gems with weapons that aren't conventional, like ribbons
  • Gem cannibalism is a form of forced fusion that distorts the gem that eats other gems

• Love
Reactions: Indabayou
Two can fuse without even dancing, but this causes jealousy in one when the second fuses with others and does amazing dances

Hmm... I'm not too sure about the idea of fusing without dancing. They've made it out to be a rather necessary component.

Slowly becoming more in sync the more they fuse (from four arms/eyes and stuff to only two, and so on )

I'm not totally sure I'm completely sold on this, either. Mostly just because, even though a lot of people seem to accept the idea that fusions have fewer extra body parts depending on how in-synch they are, it's never really been stated in-canon -- and I've actually found alternative theories that I think make more sense.

Not that you can't design fusions assuming that the former theory is true. It's just the idea of having those fusions change over time according to that idea that I'm more iffy about, but we'll see.

Gem cannibalism (breaking and eating the gems of conquered enemies)

This is an interesting idea, and I'll have to think more on it.

Some weapons: lazer arm canon (fuses with sword to become a light saber type thing), supersonic headphones that make shockwaves, a shovel (weird at first glance but very handy)

Hey, just about all these weapons work for me. I figured we'd have to think kind of outside-the-box if we don't just want to copy the canon weapons.

Also another idea I just had now: what if one of the gems was handmade by the others? Like the kindergartens have been down for centuries, so they had to do all the digging and planting themselves? Homeworld couldn't have ALWAYS had the tech we see now.

Hmmm... an interesting idea. The question is, where would they get the minerals that were planted in the first place? We still don't know where the minerals that are planted in Kindergartens comes from, and assuming that the minerals that are planted are where the "genetic material" for the gems comes from (for lack of a better term), well, I feel like they have to come from someplace special, perhaps sort of similarly to troll breeding in Homestuck.

Although, now I feel like I'm sticking a bit too closely to the canon. XD I should probably give you guys a bit more leeway, but... yeah. Like I said, I'll have to think on this a bit. I feel like we'll have plenty of time to iron all this stuff out, though.

• Spy gems, gems who are designed to blend in with the population to assess them
  • Assassin gems
  • Tiny gems who are designed to be the 'drum boy' or the servant
  • Gem nobles

:/ The problem I'm sensing with most of these ideas is that they seem to assume that our gems would be acting under some sort of authority to do all these things, and, well, unless that authority is us, I'm not sure who it would be -- especially since Homeworld seems to think that the only gems on Earth are the Crystal Gems.

Gems that were always destined to be in an object a la Lapis

I'm not sure what you mean by "destined". How so?

Gems with weapons that aren't conventional, like ribbons

Works for me.

Gem cannibalism is a form of forced fusion that distorts the gem that eats other gems

This is an interesting addition to the gem cannibalism idea.

Hmm... I'm not too sure about the idea of fusing without dancing. They've made it out to be a rather necessary component.

The 'no dancing required' thing is more like how sapphire and ruby fuse i think- they don't have an elaborate dance, all they have to do is hold each other and spin around (and whatever happened offscreen in keystone motel). So i think it is plausible as long as they are already extemely close relationship-wise. the grumps au I think it mostly happens accidentally, when they're palling around and slapping high-fives or doing something really close together. Still involving an action, just that they're so in tune already that they don't need to do much in order to connect.

The 'no dancing required' thing is more like how sapphire and ruby fuse i think- they don't have an elaborate dance, all they have to do is hold each other and spin around (and whatever happened offscreen in keystone motel). So i think it is plausible as long as they are already extemely close relationship-wise. the grumps au I think it mostly happens accidentally, when they're palling around and slapping high-fives or doing something really close together. Still involving an action, just that they're so in tune already that they don't need to do much in order to connect.
Hmmm... yeah, but that still involves "synchronizing their movements". I guess that was really the thing I was getting at -- there still has to be some sort of movement involved, even if it isn't super dance-like (as in the case of Ruby and Sapphire).

Hmmm... yeah, but that still involves "synchronizing their movements". I guess that was really the thing I was getting at -- there still has to be some sort of movement involved, even if it isn't super dance-like (as in the case of Ruby and Sapphire).

Yeah, that's what I mean. I'm not too great at explaining things as you can see.
And you do make a good point about the materials for making new gems, but we can probably make something up since there isn't much canon info on that? Maybe they stole some from the shut down machines? Pearl did say that if they were reactivated they would immediately start planting again, which must mean there's still viable materials in there.

Yeah, that's what I mean. I'm not too great at explaining things as you can see.
And you do make a good point about the materials for making new gems, but we can probably make something up since there isn't much canon info on that? Maybe they stole some from the shut down machines? Pearl did say that if they were reactivated they would immediately start planting again, which must mean there's still viable materials in there.
Mm, yeah, that's a good point. We can work with that.

Also, guys, I should mention that I won't have an OOC up for quite a while. Things are going to be a bit rough for me for the next week and a half. Well, most accurately, a bit rough for the rest of this week, and then really rough the week after that. It did occur to me that now might not be the best time to start an RP at all, but, I think I can still manage all this — I just won't be able to really set up an OOC for a while. In the meantime, though, we'll have plenty of time to discuss, plan, and gather new players. I'll still be online regularly for most of this (with the exception of this weekend, when I'll be gone for a convention), so I can still discuss things with you guys (though I might be slow to reply… anything really thought-intensive is going to be difficult for a while). I don't really know how things are going to go after next week. Hopefully things will start to improve, but, it's hard to say. This RP is still going to be a thing, it's just going to take a while, most likely. Just wanted to give you guys the heads-up on that.

• Useful
Reactions: Indabayou
That's totally fine, I'm dealing with some stuff myself these next couple weeks. Its good we have a lot of time to talk about our characters and stuff and get some ideas solidified before committing to anything and getting stuck

:/ The problem I'm sensing with most of these ideas is that they seem to assume that our gems would be acting under some sort of authority to do all these things, and, well, unless that authority is us, I'm not sure who it would be -- especially since Homeworld seems to think that the only gems on Earth are the Crystal Gems.
I see what you mean. I meant most of these as backgrounds and ideas for various gems that could possible come after our gems. Sorry I didn't clarify.
I'm not sure what you mean by "destined". How so?
Well, gems that were born to power various items like the mirror. Obviously Lapis was stuck in there and the gem didn't really know about it until later. Pearl introduced it as just another thingamajig that Steven could use to learn stuff, so it leads me to think that maybe there are other objects that are similar to that. I seriously doubt if Pearl thought a Homeworld Gem was in the mirror she would ever have given it to Steven, so these objects are either common or lower gems don't know about how these objects really work at all.

Also, guys, I should mention that I won't have an OOC up for quite a while. Things are going to be a bit rough for me for the next week and a half. Well, most accurately, a bit rough for the rest of this week, and then really rough the week after that. It did occur to me that now might not be the best time to start an RP at all, but, I think I can still manage all this — I just won't be able to really set up an OOC for a while. In the meantime, though, we'll have plenty of time to discuss, plan, and gather new players.
Sounds good enough for me, we're still hashing things out anyway. Also I wanna finish drawing my gems for the RP anyway
... Did we ever set up a plot for this?

I see what you mean. I meant most of these as backgrounds and ideas for various gems that could possible come after our gems. Sorry I didn't clarify.

Well, gems that were born to power various items like the mirror. Obviously Lapis was stuck in there and the gem didn't really know about it until later. Pearl introduced it as just another thingamajig that Steven could use to learn stuff, so it leads me to think that maybe there are other objects that are similar to that. I seriously doubt if Pearl thought a Homeworld Gem was in the mirror she would ever have given it to Steven, so these objects are either common or lower gems don't know about how these objects really work at all.

Sounds good enough for me, we're still hashing things out anyway. Also I wanna finish drawing my gems for the RP anyway
... Did we ever set up a plot for this?
Ooh I can't wait to see it! I have some ideas for my gem already, but idk what she's gonna look like yet. All I know is she's gonna be super confused about earth stuff and wear a lot of jewelery trying to show her dominance and ferocity, but instead humans (if our gems interact with them at all) liker her and think she's really fashionable. She doesn't understand why no one is afraid of her, she's basically doing the gem equivalent of wearing a necklace of human bones.

Lapis' gem was cracked, though, and they stated before that gem shards are often used to power various objects, because they don't have much of a consciousness. I figured that the Crystals found Lapis in there and assumed she was just a shard, hence why they were surprised to see that the mirror was clearly sentient, which a shard wouldn't be. Besides, Pearl described the mirror as being "gem-powered", so she knew there was a gem in there, she just didn't know it was still "alive" (for lack of a better term).

The idea of gems designated to power these objects is interesting, but it doesn't make as much sense when a living gem would have more conscious control over an object than a mindless shard. Unless there were gems that were used as part of some sort of experiment where someone thought that living gems would be more advantageous to use to power an object, though I don't know what that object would be.

Additionally, there could easily be more gems in Lapis' position, where someone must've put them in an object while they were still alive, either because they thought they were dead or because they wanted to keep them locked away for whatever reason and have others assume they were dead.

Lapis' gem was cracked, though, and they stated before that gem shards are often used to power various objects, because they don't have much of a consciousness. I figured that the Crystals found Lapis in there and assumed she was just a shard, hence why they were surprised to see that the mirror was clearly sentient, which a shard wouldn't be. Besides, Pearl described the mirror as being "gem-powered", so she knew there was a gem in there, she just didn't know it was still "alive" (for lack of a better term).

The idea of gems designated to power these objects is interesting, but it doesn't make as much sense when a living gem would have more conscious control over an object than a mindless shard. Unless there were gems that were used as part of some sort of experiment where someone thought that living gems would be more advantageous to use to power an object, though I don't know what that object would be.

Additionally, there could easily be more gems in Lapis' position, where someone must've put them in an object while they were still alive, either because they thought they were dead or because they wanted to keep them locked away for whatever reason and have others assume they were dead.
I'll have to watch that again, because I guess I didn't see the 'shard' part. However, even just looking at it, that gem wasn't just a shard.
tumblr_inline_nlvhmpAGY31su861x_100.png
this is Lapis's gem in the back of the mirror and this
is amethyst's cracked gem (yeah it's a shit angle) they look similar. In fact I think the crack is the exact same.
But they're still whole and only a little cracked whereas with these:
tumblr_inline_nq4b8emJ9u1qbk4qw_500.jpg

they're smaller pieces and they certainly don't look whole. So... maybe it is common?
Either way, the Homeworld looks intense from what we've seen. So either way, these objects exist and they may or may not be voluntary.
Maybe they put gems into computers or organizers so they work to sort and sift through information 24/7 and completely focused on that task without needing to worry about making a body or needing to even move. Eh, take it or leave it. I just found it interesting when I went digging and found this stuff.

I'll have to watch that again, because I guess I didn't see the 'shard' part. However, even just looking at it, that gem wasn't just a shard.
tumblr_inline_nlvhmpAGY31su861x_100.png
this is Lapis's gem in the back of the mirror and this
is amethyst's cracked gem (yeah it's a shit angle) they look similar. In fact I think the crack is the exact same.
But they're still whole and only a little cracked whereas with these:
tumblr_inline_nq4b8emJ9u1qbk4qw_500.jpg

they're smaller pieces and they certainly don't look whole. So... maybe it is common?
Well, I know that Lapis wasn't just a shard, but it's clear that the Crystal Gems didn't realize that, not only because they all looked absolutely horrified when Steven said that the mirror was sentient, but also because they never would've given it to Steven in the first place if they knew there was a living gem inside.

I don't know why they wouldn't have realized sooner. I suppose it's possible that they never took a close enough look at it to notice, and just assumed that no one would put a living gem in an object like that so there was no need to doubt that it was just a shard. After all, they didn't put Lapis in there. Pearl said that they found the mirror like that.

Either way, the Homeworld looks intense from what we've seen. So either way, these objects exist and they may or may not be voluntary.
Maybe they put gems into computers or organizers so they work to sort and sift through information 24/7 and completely focused on that task without needing to worry about making a body or needing to even move. Eh, take it or leave it. I just found it interesting when I went digging and found this stuff.
I still think that a mindless power source would make more sense for a computer like that, unless it's supposed to be like an AI, but... yeah, I can see Homeworld using living gems for this sort of thing if they could find some advantage in using living gems.

I think It was because it was cracked that they didn't think it was dangerous. When amethyst was cracked she could barely do anything. a cracked gem in an object is probably even more subdued, only able to provide power without any means to communicate or show sentience, especially if its been cracked for a long time (as we saw with Am, she got progressively worse as time went on). Its possible that gem objects, or cracked ones in particular, might be thought to have lost their sense of self