Stereotypes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KayLove |-/

Original poster
A couple days ago, in my health class, the teacher had girls list guy stereotypes, and guy list girl stereotypes.
I thought it was pretty fun/ny. Everyone had an understanding that they were stereotypes therefore they weren't true for everyone.
If you're a female, list guy stereotypes. If you're a guy, list girl stereotypes. I'm just curious to know what you guys think.
If you're easily offended, please go, we all know that some of these aren't true for everyone.

This doesn't follow your instructions to a T, but it's relevant to the topic at hand so I figured I'd share.

I once heard someone say something that manages to just explain so much in the world: "All men are stupid, and all women are crazy".

So you ask, then, if that's the case, how do we even manage to procreate??

Well, men will get with crazy women because they're stupid.

And women will get with stupid men because they're crazy.

EVERYTHING MAKES SENSE NOW.

This doesn't follow your instructions to a T, but it's relevant to the topic at hand so I figured I'd share.

I once heard someone say something that manages to just explain so much in the world: "All men are stupid, and all women are crazy".

Omg that does make sense xD

You should write a book.

• Love
Reactions: Kagayours
I hate all stereotypes with a fiery passion, it's one my least favorite things about this world right next to stubbornness and disrespect.

Of course saying that does make me a bit of a hypocrite, as it's pretty much impossible to go my daily life without inadvertently judging people based on culturally engrained stereotypes. Like for instance whenever I see some teenager glued to their phone I can't help but view them as another one of those self-obsessed dimwits who couldn't last more five seconds without feeling compelled to update all their various social media accounts. Granted I used to be one of those teenagers, but I've long since grown out of it, for the most part.

Of course saying that does make me a bit of a hypocrite, as it's pretty much impossible to go my daily life without inadvertently judging people based on culturally engrained stereotypes. Like for instance whenever I see some teenager glued to their phone I can't help but view them as another one of those self-obsessed dimwits who couldn't last more five seconds without feeling compelled to update all their various social media accounts.

And see, that's the funny thing about stereotypes. They aren't just the result of hate and/or ignorance; more accurately, they only really exist because our brains just like to categorize things.

We like to have certain expectations when we meet new people. Our brains just don't like uncertainty, so we use whatever known traits or labels that person has to make predictions about them, so that we'll have a better chance of interacting efficiently. If we see a woman, we like to assume that she'll act in a certain way that a man probably wouldn't. The same applies to seeing people of a different race or even social class. Consider it a survival instinct. We like to know what to expect. That's why a lot of people are more likely to be afraid of a lower-class black male walking past them on the street than they are to be afraid of an upper-class white female. We make categories based on past experiences and what we think is true and extend those to easily identifiable groups, thus making ourselves more efficiently able to predict how those groups will behave, so that it's easier to, say, defend ourselves from groups we think are dangerous, and seek out groups we think are friendly.

...Granted, having sort of evolved past the need for that, stereotypes become a little bit ridiculous in modern society and tend to do more harm than good. But, it's at least comforting to know that there's a reason why they exist, and a reason why most of us often can't help but make these sorts of judgements and assumptions about people. It's all just human nature.

The_more_you_know_banner.jpg

And see, that's the funny thing about stereotypes. They aren't just the result of hate and/or ignorance; more accurately, they only really exist because our brains just like to categorize things.

We like to have certain expectations when we meet new people. Our brains just don't like uncertainty, so we use whatever known traits or labels that person has to make predictions about them, so that we'll have a better chance of interacting efficiently. If we see a woman, we like to assume that she'll act in a certain way that a man probably wouldn't. The same applies to seeing people of a different race or even social class. Consider it a survival instinct. We like to know what to expect. That's why a lot of people are more likely to be afraid of a lower-class black male walking past them on the street than they are to be afraid of an upper-class white female. We make categories based on past experiences and what we think is true and extend those to easily identifiable groups, thus making ourselves more efficiently able to predict how those groups will behave, so that it's easier to, say, defend ourselves from groups we think are dangerous, and seek out groups we think are friendly.

...Granted, having sort of evolved past the need for that, stereotypes become a little bit ridiculous in modern society and tend to do more harm than good. But, it's at least comforting to know that there's a reason why they exist, and a reason why most of us often can't help but make these sorts of judgements and assumptions about people. It's all just human nature.

The_more_you_know_banner.jpg
The problem is that more often than not, stereotypes aren't based on personal experience, but rather on things we're told, sometimes unconsciously, which leads to misconceptions. So while they do have a practical function, they're terribly misused. Which is why it's good to actively challenge stereotypes, as letting our brains revert to primal functions like that and sort of "make themselves comfortable" isn't helpful for our personal growth, seeing as they're capable of so much more.

(not directing this specifically at you, just wanted to get it out there.)

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Like for instance whenever I see some teenager glued to their phone I can't help but view them as another one of those self-obsessed dimwits who couldn't last more five seconds without feeling compelled to update all their various social media accounts. Granted I used to be one of those teenagers, but I've long since grown out of it, for the most part.

*is currently a teen on phone*
Well then....xD

The problem is that more often than not, stereotypes aren't based on personal experience, but rather on things we're told, sometimes unconsciously, which leads to misconceptions. So while they do have a practical function, they're terribly misused. Which is why it's good to actively challenge stereotypes, as letting our brains revert to primal functions like that and sort of "make themselves comfortable" isn't helpful for our personal growth, seeing as they're capable of so much more.

(not directing this specifically at you, just wanted to get it out there.)

Oh, I agree with you there. I mean, it's very easy to list all the survival instinct-type things that really aren't doing their job anymore because of the way society works. I agree that it's good to challenge stereotypes and actually at least try to think rationally, but, you know, it helps to know that it sort of makes sense for stereotypes to exist, given how our brains work.

I remember when a college instructor of mine tried to do this, but not so openly.

She was asking classmates questions like "What do you think describes men?".
And while most said stuff like "Strong, Violent etc." and I simply said "Are Male".

When the teacher asked describe Americans classmates went with stuff like "Lazy" and I said "Are American, Have Obama as their president".

Drove the Teacher a bit nuts. XD
Because she was trying to goad the class into generalizing people and then go "Generalizing is bad, and you all just did it!".

Last edited:
My teacher openly asked us to do it xD
We were learning about sexual stereotypes and such.

One I said, guys eat more.

Oh, I agree with you there. I mean, it's very easy to list all the survival instinct-type things that really aren't doing their job anymore because of the way society works. I agree that it's good to challenge stereotypes and actually at least try to think rationally, but, you know, it helps to know that it sort of makes sense for stereotypes to exist, given how our brains work.
Definitely. Understanding how our brain works is what sets us apart from other animals, and allows us to evolve. It allows us to go "OK, so I know why I'm doing that, and I can see that it's not the best thing to do."

My teacher openly asked us to do it xD
We were learning about sexual stereotypes and such.

One I said, guys eat more.
This is actually true, as males are genetically coded to have generally larger bodies, and thus need more energy to sustain themselves. However, it's also highly individual, as people's metabolisms are wildly different from one another.

I remember when a college instructor of mine tried to do this, but not so openly.

She was asking classmates questions like "What can you think describes men?".
And while most said stuff like "Strong, Violent etc." and I simply said "Are Male".

When the teacher asked describe Americans classmates went with stuff like "Lazy" and I said "Are American, Have Obama as their president".

Drove the Teacher a bit nuts. XD
Because she was trying to goad the class into generalizing people and then go "Generalizing is bad, and you all just did it!".
Ending up generalizing your class, lol... I dislike when that happens, too. If you're going to call out stereotyping, don't do it yourself, it defeats the purpose. say something like "Most of you just did it, and there are other instances where other people do as well" instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm gonna do what the OP asked instead of being easily offended.
If you're a female, list guy stereotypes. If you're a guy, list girl stereotypes. I'm just curious to know what you guys think.
From the perspective of a guy...
  • Girls hunt in packs. If you don't 'pass' by the standards of a potential lover's friends, prepare for them to do everything within their power to destroy you in her eyes.
  • Girls like shoes. A lot. Fashion in general, really, as I've seen far more women purchasing sparkly pre-ripped jeans for some reason, but nonetheless...
  • Girls like talking. A lot. Usually about themselves.
  • Girls use some form of pseudo-language layered with double meanings and subtleties that seem entirely unnecessary. "I'm okay" can loosely translate to one of the following...
    • I'm okay.
    • I'm not okay.
    • I'm on my period.
    • I'm going to kill you.
    • I'm going to kill your friends.
    • I'm going to destroy your property.
    • I'm guilty about something.
    • I'm bored.
    • I think that you think that I think that you think that I did something wrong.
    • Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera...
  • If you have no money and want to go out on a date, prepare for a lot of rejections. Even if you propose something that would cost no money in the first place, like going to the park.
There's a few for you. Not every woman is like this, but there's a reason the stereotype exists. :ferret:

Ending up generalizing your class, lol...
I be say most, not all. :P
Plus I honestly was the only one giving smart ass answers like that, anyone else (who bothered speaking up) was answering in the way she wanted them to.
I dislike when that happens, too. If you're going to call out stereotyping, don't do it yourself, it defeats the purpose. say something like "Most of you just did it, and there are other instances where other people do as well" instead.
It was kind of odd that she was trying to teach this, but was purposely trying to trick/entrap people into doing it.
Simply so she could accuse them all of it.

If you're a guy, list girl stereotypes.
Eh, I guess I'll give it a go?

• A female's self-confidence Cs​ is proportional to her breast size B and inversely proportional to the total area of skin covered by clothing Sc​, according to the following equation: Cs​=B3​/Sc​

I love making generalizations about people!

HERE WE GO:

1. You're all dirty.
  2. Sweaty.
  3. Smelly.
  4. Sacks of mostly water and some protein.

I love making generalizations about people!

HERE WE GO:

1. You're all dirty.
  2. Sweaty.
  3. Smelly.
  4. Sacks of mostly water and some protein.
By any chance do you usually also end your quips with the word 'meatbag'? :ferret:

Reactions: Peter Feels
I don't know what you're talking about, meatbag.

Reactions: Mu and Brovo
Oookayy, so stereotypes for men;

- If you reject a guy they'll either yell at you or kill you or rape you
- Men are stupid
- All men have the potential to rape
- Men are judgmental
- Men are always thinking about sex, all the time 24/7
- All men like sports
- Men are not in touch with their feelings
- Men don't cry

I'm sure there are more stereotypes but I can't think of them at the moment...

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: 1 person
Status
Not open for further replies.