Steampunk Police Partners (1x1 w/ CrazyUnicorn)

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Well, Einstein, I would do things more 'productively'," Nikolai made air quotes and the person behind the desk regretted ever mentioning the word 'productive', "if I wasn't stuck here waiting for ya' to memorize every last corner of that stuff. What are ya trying to be, a walking encyclopedia... then again, it wouldn't surprise me if you were..." she murmured the last part.

Once he said he was done she bolted out of the office, going straight to the locker room so that she could change. It was a simple change-- mostly a few minor alterations to her current outfit so that any affiliations with the police department were less obvious. She slammed her locker door in frustration at everything that was happening. She'd try to make the best of this case, but... she had a feeling that this might end up in a disaster. What, did they think they would balance each other out or something? She needed someone who was as quick thinking as she was, not some guy who'd, in her mind, would just bog her down.

She came out soon after, looking for her partner, "If you're not caught up in those 'plans' of yours, I'd really like to get going." she called out.

"Having information is always an advantage. Maybe some day you will realize that. Hopefully."

Denny looked his partner up and down. "Really? You think nobody's gonna realize that is pretty much a uniform you are wearing..? Well. Suit yourself.. If we get discovered because you love the force so much it's on you. I have told you."

"Well, yes. Let's go." By then he was so annoyed he could have beaten someone to death out of pure frustration. "Let's try not to communicate in any way...what do you think of that? I like the idea. Just shut the fuck up. You are getting on my nerves like no one has managed to do in a very long time."

He walked off in the general direction of the parking lot where his car was parked.

"Look, it isn't that obvi..." she trailed off when he said the expletive, before nodding in agreement and walking away from him. She was used to that sort of language anyways from some of the other officers who were much more vocal about her way of doing things. Maybe she should have refrained from talking to him in the first place-- it was clear that they wouldn't get along much anyways. And she heavily doubted how well he'd work with her, if they'd even work together at all. She wasn't about to try his way, and she heavily doubted that he'd try to work with her way either.

Hopefully some time on the case might help to cool her down, it was a sort of stress relief for her... even if she was a bit harder on criminals because of it.

She opened and slammed the door of her police car. Looking at herself in the car mirror, she scoffed. It wasn't that obvious. He was just a nit-picky prick. Looking at herself again, she finally took off her vest, so that she didn't look as if she was wearing the police uniform. She told herself it wasn't because of Denny's suggestion though... she just noticed it made her stick out a bit more, that's all.

She started her car. It was a bit rougher than the other models because of what she'd put it through, but time and time again she'd found that it was more than reliable when it came to chasing after criminals. She decided to go right for the docks, if he needed more time, then, well, that was on him.

Denny was pretty sure that his new partner would not wait any longer for him. Especially after he had been so unfriendly. He was shocked by himself - usually he was calm and could just deal with people in a more friendly fashion no matter how much they got on his nerves - he was not sure why Nikolai was different from everybody else.

He got into his car. It was a police car - it just did not look like one. He had worked on it for days at a time until it was just the way he liked it. It was reliable and could go up to very high speeds for a short time - sadly that needed so much energy that he had to reload the car for ages afterwards. He had made it look like a slightly beat up, green car that had seen better times. Only the siren he could but on the roof was proof that it was an actual police car.

"Calm yourself...otherwise you'll mess up", he murmured to himself while staring into his reflection in the mirror. "You have dealt with worse. She is just another person that does not understand you - and to be honest you don't understand", he told his reflection.

He started the car and started his way to the docs. He was not driving too fast as he did not want any unnecessary attention but after 15 minutes he arrived and got out of the car, looking around if his partner was already there.

Nikolai wasn't exactly the safest driver. She could be a terror if she was chasing anyone on the main streets. She knew that it was more trouble than it was worth to risk driving in the main streets when there wasn't anyone to catch though, so she took to taking short cuts in the back streets and alleyways, knowing her way around most of the city like it was like the back of her hand... that didn't mean that she didn't get her fair share of honks, though. What did they expect? She was a police officer on official business! They should know to stay out of the way.

Soon enough she arrived at the airship docks, being sure to hide her car in an inconspicuous place so that it wouldn't alert anyone of the officer's presence there. She managed to spot her partner and walked over to him, "So. You finally ready?" she asked, but kept her voice down, "Whether you are or not... I'm going ahead to see just what these guys are doing."

"Yes, yes. Let's go."

He looked at her changed outfit and hid a smile - maybe she was not that stubborn after all. "Your outfit really is better this way." After a few seconds he added: "Of course there could be improvement made, but let's not be petty."

"Now. Before we storm in there - how do you want to go about it? I suggest we just casually walk in there and pretend like we are looking for...someone or something. I guess. We try to not raise any suspicion and just get a good look around. As soon as we find something we can decide on what to do. That alright with you?"

Nikolai hated to think of how smug she thought Denny was now that her outfit was changed, "It was because I thought it could use some last second adjustments, that's all." As she was about to go off on her own, she heard him ask about how they would do this. She was going to ignore him, but paused, turning to face him, "... Alright, fine, that sounds okay... but we shouldn't delay-- we might miss something important." with that being said, she went off to scout the area. She wasn't one for looking at the finer details, but if she noticed anything major she was always quick to act.

Denny followed his partner with some distance. He looked around paying attention to every detail. He spotted a few men that were carrying guns. They were not talking or interacting in any way. Denny picked up his pace and walked to Nikolai. "You see those four guys over there? They have guns. Looks like they are waiting for something. Be careful. Don't look too long. They might get suspicious", he whispered. "Don't even think about just attacking. They are more than us. Keep walking, come on", he said quietly. He put his hand on her shoulder and just pulled her with him. As soon as they had gone around a corner he stopped and took his hand off her shoulder. "Let's see - maybe they are not the people we are looking for." He started thinking about a good spot to observe the four men.

Knowing that any sudden commotion could cause the men with guns to start shooting, Nikolai followed him, but with much reluctance, "Okay then dad." she said under her breath, referring to how she thought he was nagging her.

"What do you mean these aren't the guys we're looking for? I dunno about you, but any guy walking around the docks with a gun in their hands seems pretty suspicious." she said, trying to get a better look at the men, but from where she was she couldn't get a good view. And going away from their hiding spot was a little too risky, even for Nikolai. She looked at the shipping crates scattered along the docks, and noticed that one of the crates had a rather big hole in it, large enough for them to crawl into, and with any luck they could both manage to fit into the crate too.

"... I think I've found our spot." Nikolai said, tapping Denny's shoulder and pointing to the crate before crawling into it. She wasn't one to waste an opportunity, and it was up to him about whether he'd follow.

"Can you stop complaining? You know exactly I'm right about this", he hissed through his teeth

"Well - maybe there are multiple groups of people walking around with guns, who knows - let's just watch? Please.. ... Sure - they are suspicious. ... Yes - let's just do that", he answered her while he was trying to get a better view of what was going on.

When he saw Nikolai crawl into that crate he wanted to scream at her that she had no idea what was in there - and that she was pretty reckless. But they both knew that already and there was no use in doing so - and the men with guns would notice them. Trying to look at them once more - it was not really possible - he followed Nikolai into that crate.

There was literally close to no space in there. "How sure are we this crate belongs to those guys? What do we do if they open it? And...what is all that stuff in here?", he whispered. He tried to find out what was where but it was too dark to see anything. He tried to get himself into an acceptable position. While doing so he bumped into Nikolai more than once.

"For one, why do you think those guys are out there with guns in the first place? Obviously this stuff has something important in it, important enough to warrant firearms, two..." she paused, honestly having never considered that possibility, "... Well, I guess we'll just have to open fire on them if that happens, but it won't if we don't make it obvious that we're in here." Nikolai was bumped into again and she resisted the urge to shove him back, "Which won't happen if you just get comfortable already-- seriously, I've been in worse spots before." she said.

She felt sudden movement and realized that something was moving the crate, and everything in the crate swayed back and forth as it was being picked up, likely by some sort of machinery.

"Sounds like a great plan...seriously...wow", he hissed. "And you still haven't answered the question how we know that this exact crate belongs to these men out there", he whispered angrily. "And I am sorry that I usually have a good enough plan that does not involve me having to sit in really uncomfortable spaces." He finally found a position that was acceptable..

The moment the crate started to move he realized that it was no time for fighting - they had to work together to survive this mission. Preferably without having to open fire on multiple men. "Well - that's just great. Great...", he murmured resigned. "Alright. Let's not fight. I'll stop complaining. Let's just try to survive this mission. We have to work together."

He tried to see where they were going through the holes in the crate. "Looks like we're being brought out to one of the ships", Denny whispered. "Ships are not very good for us - they have no escape route as soon as the left the harbor....what do you suggest we do? Should we stay in the crate to see what's going on or do you think it'd be better to try and get out of here?"

"I'm sorry that you-" As the crate swayed, Nikolai stopped herself. Denny had a point. If they kept fighting like this then it was likely that either one or both of them would end up killed, and she definitely didn't want to go out getting shot in a crate. They didn't have to like each other, just cooperate. And then maybe ask for a partner change after all this was over. Nikolai took a deep breath, calming herself, "Okay, fine. Truce."

She didn't expect the crate to be picked up, and maybe she should have seen that coming. Hindsight wasn't exactly her specialty. She felt around the crate for just what was in here, and came upon something that was curved. With a click, it came off, and feeling it in her hands she realized that it was ammo for a gun. She attempted to hand it to Denny, "Feel this? It's gun ammo. That answers the 'what's in here' question." she said, "This crate has to be going to one of the mafia ships. We should probably try and get out of this crate, and then maybe scout out the ship before making a move. We could try taking over the captain so that they have to turn around."

With a hard thud, the crate landed on the ship.

"That's not good. They are obviously heavily armed. We can't be seen."

He tried to spot where they were as soon as they landed on the ship. "Uh. Yes. Taking over the captain sound like a plan as long as there are not too many people around. Otherwise it would be really dangerous. Okay. I guess I'd be best to try and count armed people on the ship and seeing where exactly we are. Then get out of here. Sound good to you?"

Spying out the crate he saw one pan that seemed to be patrolling. "One guard right there."

"Seeing as how this is likely on a cargo ship... I'd say there shouldn't be too many. Enough to guard the stuff that's on here, yeah, but if they had a boatload of guys I think they'd have some suspicion. More than they have now." Nikolai said, going from some past experience. Finding another hole, she craned her head to see if there were any other guards. There was a few moments before she saw another, and with how similarly dressed the mafia members tended to be she wasn't sure about if this might be the same guy or not, "There might be more than one guard, but I don't think there's more than one guy coming around our crate at once. I say we do the old 'knock 'um out and steal their outfits' routine." Nikolai said. As proud as she was to be on the police force... she knew that not looking like they belonged on the ship was an easy way to get shot.

"Alright. That might work. And I agree - there should not be more than a handful. But that's still more than we are. So we have to be really careful." He could not exactly see a lot out there. "Good thing the hole we came in through is not blocked. We would have a serious problem if it were. But it's easily seen."

After a few minutes another guard walked by. "Damn it. Why do they have to look the same. I have no idea which one that was."

"It seems like they walk by about every three minutes. So. Do you suggest we both go out together or one goes out first, hides and waits until the guard passes and then the other one follows? I guess we could do it both together. But as soon as we actually knock someone out we are going to have a problem - we would have to know the exact route that they take so we would not raise any suspicion. And what do you suggest we do with the guards as soon as they are unconscious?"

"As soon as one of 'um's unconscious, one of us naps their outfit and pretends that we've 'caught' one of us as a stowaway and we need another guy as back-up, and then we turn on 'um and take the other guard's outfit too." Nikolai said, "... So I guess it's better if both of us go out, so we both know the route... and have some back-up in making sure no one's finding out we're not supposed to be on this ship. I can go out first and quickly scout out the route before you follow."

"Hey, I gotta admit, this planning thing isn't so bad." Nikolai said. She looked out of the hole again, seeing if the cost was clear, "Would you say we're ready to put this plan into action?"

"Alright", Denny agreed to Nikolai's plan after thinking about it for a moment - it was still risky but probably their best shot right now. "Well - I'd wait until the guard walked by the next time - we have spent quite a bit of time talking. And I think it would be better to try and have as much time as possible as soon as we are out there. But other than that - let's do this."

"Glad you can appreciate it now. I would have appreciated it if you had realized it actually worked before we hid in a crate belonging to heavily armed guys, but alright. The measures one has to take..."

As soon as the guard walked by another time he whispered. "Go, get out now! Or we have to wait once more!"

Nikolai nodded, agreeing to his plan of action, "Hey, I got us into the ship, right? ... I mean, we're not in the green here, but..." She trailed off as Denny quickly pointed out that this was her chance to get out of the crate, and she took it. She hopped out of the crate, making a dash to another nearby crate to hide behind. She peeked out when she thought it was safe. It was a bit like a maze, and they could duck and hide behind crates to avoid any of the guards. So far she saw one- no, two... okay, that was three. Three guards. Not that bad, honestly. She didn't go that far, and hoping that Denny was watching from the crate, made a signal that the coast was clear and he could follow.

She felt for her gun. She could probably stun the guy, but... that might make too much noise and alert the other ones that something was up... Although, there was nothing wrong with a good pistol whip. Or would it be police-gun whip in this case? Didn't really have the same ring to it. Anyways, needed to have a good and conspicuous way to knock out the guy and hide the body. Once they managed to steal an outfit behind some of the crates should work, the whole storage area looked large enough that one guard wouldn't suspect it if they hadn't seen their buddy in awhile.

As soon as Nikolai gave him a sign he started crawling out of the crate. He probably did it with a lot less grace than his current partner - after all he was not at all used to these kinds of missions. He preferred not having to depend on his physical fitness - not that he was weak or slow. He just was not as fit as most police-officers and he knew his limits. Although it took him a little longer than Nikolai he managed to hide behind another crate next to her without being noticed.

Looking over to her he saw that she was looking for her gun. "Yours will be loud, I think. You want to try mine - it's a little quieter...not a lot. But it could make a difference." He looked around to see how many guards there were. So far he had seen two. "How many?", he whispered. After observing the guards for a little longer he realized that all of them were pretty tall. "We'll have to take out the shortest one - otherwise we're gonna have a problem with the uniform."

Status
Not open for further replies.