Steampunk Murder Mystery

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Crono Oh sorry, yes that's fine. A neutral good, then. They could be a good foil for her. I could see them butting bc she'll think he's on her side, but he'll often act suspicious of her, bc he's trying to find the murderer, but he might consider her to be the murderer at some point. And she'll get furious bc she can't quite understand his motive.

@Crono Oh sorry, yes that's fine. A neutral good, then. They could be a good foil for her. I could see them butting bc she'll think he's on her side, but he'll often act suspicious of her, bc he's trying to find the murderer, but he might consider her to be the murderer at some point. And she'll get furious bc she can't quite understand his motive.
That's about right. They're a mute and generally emotionless so it'll be even harder to tell.

@Crono @Sammael9216 @Protagonist

Are you all still interested? Shall we to the plottings? I'd really like for it to be collaborative, so all your ideas are welcome! Like I said, my premise is fairly bare bones, so we'll be making it up as we go!

Reactions: Crono
I don't plan to participate given you're going with the civil war concept, but I had some suggestions to propose in the case you were interested in more ideas. Personally, I would have the plot revolve more around the family since they're new to the kingdom and posses both coal mining and transportation services. I'd assume the strife that leads to the rebellion and subsequent war would have begun brewing long before their arrival. As such they would be a new and advantageous variable. Depending on how you set it up, her family could quickly become sandwiched between groups/factions of people. Whether it be the rich and the poor, or differences in companies and technological development. The basis would be Camilla and her family are a target for these people.

As such, the murder could act as a threat and subsequent bribery opportunity. If Camilla goes to prison she could be used in order to make her family comply with any deals they refused. Alternatively the murder could be to garner attention, it would shame Camilla's family and their reputation while also occupying their focus away from their coal mines and transport services which could be disabled/attacked. If Camilla's efforts in steam technology are notable enough it could also be to hinder her advancements, but without killing her in the hopes of obtaining her services later on.

On Camilla's end and concerning the murder case there could be three ways to prove her innocence. Through her family, her own actions, or actions on the part of the investigative team. In the first case her family would obviously concede to the demands of the perpetrators. In the second case Camilla would need to collect clues and evidence to prove she was innocent. In the last case the investigator would need to be tipped of to suspect the case was meant to make Camilla seem guilty. Simple methods to do that would be for the crime scene to be too "clean" or there be too much evidence supporting it. As a result perhaps a detective would look into her history and family before interacting with her at length and learning slowly the truth behind the mystery.

The clues found at the crime scene could link the case to an underworld organization which would lead Camilla and crew to whoever hired them. Or the clues could lead to friends of the murderer who then share with Camilla and crew details about their connections and activities. The murder itself could be a result of explosion due to the chemical composition of the formula or death by poisoning. The scene would make it so it seemed Camilla gave them a formula sheet for it or the container that was used and caused the victim's death. Regardless of either her physical evidence, such as fingerprints, would be present.

I could go on with more examples, but then I'd be writing the story myself haha. If you're interested in any of them feel free to use them.

@Astros
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll read over it more, but I doubt I'm going to involve her family much. They are very much in the background of her life. Due to her personality overall, she keeps herself very aloof from them. Her family's money and position help to fund her work and give her some access to privilege, but she is fiercely protective of her own achievements, and is very independent-minded. Plus, they're not really interested in her 'odd fascinations' as they term it. So any trouble she's going to get into or out of is going to be quite separate from them. And from a socially political standpoint, if she does find herself in major trouble of that nature, the further they distance themselves from her, the better.

@Astros
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll read over it more, but I doubt I'm going to involve her family much. They are very much in the background of her life. Due to her personality overall, she keeps herself very aloof from them. Her family's money and position help to fund her work and give her some access to privilege, but she is fiercely protective of her own achievements, and is very independent-minded. Plus, they're not really interested in her 'odd fascinations' as they term it. So any trouble she's going to get into or out of is going to be quite separate from them. And from a socially political standpoint, if she does find herself in major trouble of that nature, the further they distance themselves from her, the better.
I see, then a majority of my suggestions will be null. True, but only if she isn't concerned with being financially supported by them.

@Astros
At this stage in her professional career, she's pretty much self-financing. She's already sold many compounds and ideas, so currently it's really just her family name that she still heavily relies on, though she's becoming more known in her own right as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.