Steampunk Expeditions: The Lost Jungle Temple (RP)

• Thread starter The Wandering Magus
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
"They seem most excellent to me, Miss," smiled the guard, handing back the papers. "Welcome aboard, Ms. Cooper."

The ship's intricate inner workings were for the most part hidden from the public eye upon the deck proper, aside from a few exposed and elaborately decorated pipes for show, but just past the doorway to the engineer's chambers lay the true beauty of the vessel. Riveted brass, turned ironwood, forged steel, clacking Babbage-engines and hissing vents, rumbling steam-engines and buzzing Tesla lightning-coils were everywhere, with levers and cranks and flywheels and all manner of nuts and bolts within easy reach.

Several slightly grimy workers wearing leather trousers and work-gloves, as well as engineer's brass goggles and appropriate name-tags, were darting in and out of the doorway and carrying boxes of tools and spare parts for the final moments before departure. Oils and lubricants and acids and other useful but deadly chemicals were already stowed away in cabinets and drawers, as were basic wrenches and hammers and pliers.

The guard sees the doctor approaching and smiles. "Ah, Doctor Swift, glad to see that you have arrived. Papers and forms, if you please, and the ship's medical bay will be just past the galley on the second level; your quarters should be directly across the hall from it for easy access. Doctor Arzt will be already setting up the equipment, I believe."

"Ah, thank you, sir!" grunted a worker with relief as the man helped with the surprisingly heavy load. "This just needs to be right over there, hup-two-ho!"

With a thump, the crate landed gently and safely onto the existing stack. The worker smiled and wiped his forehead with a handkerchief.

"Very decent of you to help out, sir."

“Very Well then”

Kai takes out of his documents in a a4 folder everything in the exact order and lined up papers edge to edge in neatness

“Everything should be in order for you, and If you will just allow me the order to proceed”

Dinann beamed at the praise. He didn't get out much... "I'm quite happy to help this voyage get underway! A good bit of hard work is also healthy for the body, wouldn't you say?" He offered his right hand for a shake. "Dinann Quile, second-class passenger and volunteer dockworker, at your service."

The officer glanced over the paperwork and nodded politely. "Everything seems in order. Welcome aboard, Dr. Swift. Next in line!"

The worker smiled and took the hand. "Liam O'Conner, full-time laborer and ballast-heaver, at yer service, Mr. Quile. Won't be able to be joinin' you on your journey most likely, the cryin' shame of it, but you never know. Be a good man and help me get this ballast to the cargo area, eh?"

He heaved his side of the heavy package, the muscles and veins on his arms standing out as his powerful body worked to lift the load.

Dinann joined Liam in hefting the package up until they could stand comfortably with it, then worked with coordinated movement toward the cargo area. He started to feel the satisfying burn of adrenaline as the work progressed; Dinann didn't often find a practical application for his strength, and this chore was a welcome task. He estimated that he'd probably only be good for another three loads of this weight before having to either wait in his quarters or choose a slightly less strenuous task, like loading baggage back and forth across the loading ramp.

Kai nods in acceptance and quickly makes his way on board glancing round the deck and following the path past the galley and onto the second level towards his quarters to drop off his bag then, to visit the medical bay across from him

"So where are you headed to this time, Rorik?”
A distinguished young gentleman watched the old man load up a large leather backpack, clearing the already Spartan bedroom of its few personal belongings. A low grumble preceded his response, like the deep reverberation before thunder arrived. “Thinking about Africa. Not sure how.” The gentleman’s eyes lit up. “Have you heard of the HMS Fortune?” Rorik scoffed; everyone had heard of the ship by now, from Arabia to the Newlands. “For everything you’ve done for me… let me buy you a ticket. I’m sure it’s much better than your usual mode of transportation.” Rorik silently strapped on his holsters, carefully checking his guns weren’t loaded – that would certainly stir things up at customs. The gentleman kicked his foot thoughtfully against a chair, seeming to realize outright charity wasn’t the way to go. “Listen. I know a guy down at the Sky-Port; he can give you a discount.” Rorik threw on his backpack and moved to exit the room. “Wait! Just give this to the ticket master. It’s the least I can do.” An envelope was thrust into his hands and refused to be taken back. It was grudgingly shoved into a pocket.

Walking up to the port, the noise was almost deafening. Too many people scurrying about like vermin; one could get ambushed and never even be missed. Rorik regarded the various ships docked here and there, looking for something cheap and fast – he had made a habit of not accepting handouts from clients. But even walking up and down the docks twice, nothing came close to being acceptable. Sure, there were ships going to Africa… carrying supplies and the trappings of civilization… and the ones that did allow passengers were all full up.
He looked back at the grand Fortune bobbing majestically in the light breeze. Harrumph. This would have to do.

Liam brought the crate down to the echoing and massive chambers beneath all the other living quarters, where exposed pipes and structural parts were surrounded by cages in case cargo shifted. The stairwell was made of brass and wood, like the rest of the ship, though without the fancy engravings above. This was quite practical, brass slab with holes for minimum weight and maximum efficiency, and sturdy as well. There were already several large stacks of foodstuffs and other things here and there, having been loaded from previously. There were no lights to speak of, besides the one kerosene lantern that was hung on a hook at the bottom of the stairs; it didn't do to use up air or to start a fire hazard aboard the vessel.

As they lay the package onto the nearest stack, Dinann could see several empty cages disassembled and stowed under heavy canvas, as well as boxes of tranquilizers and rifles. The Fortune was planning on bringing back exotic animals as well as treasure from the ruins; live baboons, lions, baby elephants, birds and other such creatures fetched a pretty penny at the auctions, and they generally were more easily broken and trained when confined and starved in pitch blackness for a few days, or so the zoo-keepers of the time said. Very few ever truly thought of the creatures as even partially sentient, besides cuckoo-heads like Thoreau and his band of transcendentalists. The concept of cruelty to animals was somewhat present, evidenced by the banning of cockfights several decades earlier, but very few had any thoughts of kindness for wild and savage beasts.

The worker paid no heed to these observations; they were simply a part of his work, and he took such views for granted. He did take a moment to catch his breath, grinning at the other man.

"Not so easy as it looks, eh? But ten years o' hard labor, an' this would feel easy compared to the mines or the OTHER jobs here."

The doctor finds a complete medical facility, complete with clean washcloths and many cabinets full of medicines and supplies. The introduction of germ theory several decades earlier had encouraged a complete revamp of hospitals all across the Empire where it could be afforded, and for this particular vessel the investors were taking no chances. All stops had been pulled; there were snake oils and tonic for general health, opium and cocaine for surgery, quinine for malaria (known to be quite a common and deadly disease in the jungles), bone-saws, scalpels, needles, tourniquets, splints, wash-basins, a faucet with running hot and cold water, cultures of vaccines and molds for penicillin, wires and electrical cells for electroshock therapy, and more. It was, simply put, a doctor's dream come true, with anything one might ask for close at hand.

To one side of the room, he could see an open doorway and the clacking of a typewriter inside, as well as another man, German from the accent, dictating what sounded like an inventory of supplies. The sign on the door said "Dr. Gudrun Arzt, MD", and said doctor could be glimpsed every now and then gesticulating wildly within the office.

The hunter could see the ticket booth described; there was a sizable line already, though not altogether too long for someone who was used to waiting for days on end for an animal to move just right, or to trudging across wild tundra through blinding windstorms and snow. The man at the booth was bored out of his mind now, barely registering a "papers please" and "welcome aboard" for each customer.

Dinann tossed his arms back and forth, keeping his muscles loose. "I have no doubt of that! Wow, we'll certainly be bringing quite a surplus back home... In the meantime," he said, indicating the crate they had just set down, "I've probably got another few trips in me. Any more crates?"

(“Not a bad facility certainly cleaner than others I’ve been designated to in the past, though we shall see how long this lasts”)

Kai approaches the door and knocks on the side politely trying not to make the poor man jump he knows all to well what its like when a mind starts to focus

“Excuse me Dr Arzt’s I presume, its a pleasure to make your acquaintance”

Rorik tromped to the back of the line. Looking at the types of people getting on the ship, he wondered if he’d made a mistake – this was the one going to Africa, right? The untamed frontier that killed on a whim? All these women wearing cupcakes and men parading as puffins… He probably find a job the second he stepped aboard.

Liam grinned. "Always. If you're willing to keep on helping, o' course."

He tramped back up the stairwell, making his way back to the piles and piles of supplies and ballast still sitting on the dock.

The gesticulating doctor stopped and turned to the newcomer, pushing up the spectacles on his nose and scratching his beard a bit.

"Ja, yes! Zat I am, sir. Und vould I be correct to assume zat you are Dr. Swift?"

The intern, a young man of perhaps 19 or 20, finished typing up the rest of the formalities on the document and removed the paper, hanging it on a nearby rack to dry while shuffling other sheets for processing and fitting a fresh paper into the typewriter.

Though the sheer arrogance of these wealthy fools grated a bit on his dearly-earned experience with the wilderness, the veteran hunter soon found himself at the front of the line, with the bleary-eyed man in the box just pulling out another stack of tickets.

"Name and number of tickets, sir? Prices are listed on the board."

A bell can be heard, along with the shrill sound of a steam-whistle as messengers began running to and fro, shouting, "The Fortune will be departing in two hours! All passengers must be on board and checked in within the hour! All passengers MUST be on board within the hour!"

"That would be correct I am Dr Swift"
Kai removes the crow like mask minor hissing as it decormpresurises as it comes of to reveal his face

"So it looks like we have an intresting facility to work with doesnt it, no real need for the mask anymore scince its more than aparent who the doctors are "

Dinann helped Liam with another five packages before, sweating heavily with his jacket now tied around his waist, he heaved a sigh. "Well, Mr. Liam, I'm glad to have been of assistance thus far, though I fear I've just about had it..."

The sudden commotion aboard the Fortune made Rorik’s hand twitch towards his firearm. He’d never liked crowds, and never would.
Looking down at the board, Rorik skillfully hid his surprise at the ticket prices. Anyone who could afford a third-class ticket didn’t deserve to look after the luggage.
He felt the envelope crumpled in his pocket. Well, he wasn’t going to get a job in the middle of London.
Rorik reluctantly accepted the gentleman’s gift and handed the packet over to the ticket master.
“Rorik Palisade. One. Steerage.”
He’d pay the chap back on his return.

The dock worker smiled and nodded, saluting Dinann. "Been a pleasure working with ye, sir."

As he prepares to make another round, a foreman walks over, looking over the two with a critical eye. Liam heaves another bundle onto his back, but the other man puts up a hand.

"Wait, Mr. O'Conner. It seems that there's been a change of plans. Some of the crew notified the company at the last minute that they had come down with the pox this morning, and the company did not inform us until just now. We will be needing a few extra hands to help with cargo and services aboard the ship, and you seem to be the hardworking sort. What say we change your job and put you on deck? We will be raising your pay, of course."

The worker started, putting down the bundle and looking at the foreman with wide eyes. "Me, sir? I... Certainly! Thank ye, sir!"

Dr. Arzt smiled and nodded. "A pleasure, Dr. Swift. Ze facility should have all ze equipment ve need for ze journey and expedition. Anything zat you might need?"

The man nodded tiredly and gave the hunter his ticket. "Welcome aboard the Fortune, Mr. Palisade."

Rorik grumbled a response and started up the walkway.
Just a moment… hadn’t he said discount? Darn Brits and their fiendish charity.
Sailors were rushing madly up and down the stairs, and he was bumped several times by ungrateful youth. He had to admit, it was a fine vessel – but the people were starting to get to him.
One or two, sure… but several hundred was intolerable. Maybe he could swim to Africa.
Arriving on board, he glanced at his ticket. Steerage…

Dinann's face lit up. "Ah, I see no sorrow in a farewell when two friends aren't even parting! Glad to have you along!"

"Not at this point Just thought id get to know whom I would be working with before we start moving, Ill most likely explore the ship a tad also before we set off, just getting to know staff and those chosen to go on this trip"

The "normal" and those looking to actually stay in Africa were down below-deck, in what the impolite called "steerage". It was, of course, much better than anything of the sort on other ships, and at least one had a private room, and as it was a sky-ship the vessel allowed for open windows in these rooms. They even had running water and a small toilet in each chamber. Still, movement would be limited on this journey for passengers down here.

Liam smiled broadly as the foreman nodded and went on his way, then turned to Dinann. "Thank ye, friend! Here's to safe passage and a a good voyage, eh?"

"Ah, vell zen, it iz gut to meet you, Doktor. I vill be here if you happen to need my assistance, ov course. Zis here vould be my intern, und our assistant for the trip, Franz," said Dr. Arzt, gesturing to the young man. The typist stood up and offered a hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.