Star Trek: Asahi

• Thread starter Lord President Nick
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Ah- Hello. You'll have to forgive me. You startled me...Sir?" To be perfectly honest, K'riss is more startled by the sudden whoosh of the doors to her office opening and admitting someone, than the actual man standing above her. Her fur stands on end and her hackles raise for a moment, like some kind of pincushion, before it smooths back over. K'riss visibly relaxes as she recognizes the commander squares on his uniform, and the familiar Hispanic features on the officer who's medical profile she had seen only moments ago.
Commander Clearwater.

Moments ago is an exaggeration, she'd only just put the PADD down on the table, the Commander's profile frozen on it's screen. She neglected it in favor of running her fingers through her hair; hands rhythmically braiding it into a pleat while she meets his eyes: brown. Hair, brown. He's about her age, and in danger of sounding quite ignorant, not all Hispanics look the same, of course, but the resemblance is sobering, and K'riss focuses on the matter at hand when her past catches up with her.

"You're a bit early Commander, I have your physical scheduled for after the Captain's." She smiles, looking at the digital display showing the times various officers are supposed to report to her. She'd darken the screen; confidentiality of her patients and all that, but there's not any important or personal information. Besides, K'riss trusts the First Officer of the ship to be mature enough not to peek at her clipboard. If not him, who else? "Would you mind handing me that monyo- ah, sorry. That hair tie there, please?" Her hands complete the braid, and she looks expectantly at him.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: Lord President Nick
Lieutenant Commander Mi-Na Lee, after a patient stroll through the ship decks, finally reached Engineering. She smiled as she saw the engineering section, hard at work. They were faceless names for now, as she tried to quietly walk among them and observe. One crew member was calculating payload on a console, another was looking at engine performance statistics, and another was simply gazing at the warp core. She had done all of those things many times before, and she chucked to herself.

Then, suddenly, a female engineer turned around. It was a weird thing... as Mi-Na saw, the engineer was an Asian woman as well, but a little younger than her. Seeing her in a yellow uniform, and seeing the Lieutenant rank on her collar, it was like looking in a portal to her own past.

"Engineering officer on deck!", the lieutenant yelled out. All activity came to a halt, and all bodies stood tall and still.

"At ease", Mi-Na said, calmly, as the bodies of Engineering relaxed a bit. "I'm Lieutenant Commander Mi-Na Lee. I will keep things simple for now, we have a lot of responsibility in Engineering, and it falls on us. I will do my best to manage the workload, but I can't always promise it will be easy, or even manageable. I can promise you, though, that we will learn from our experiences, become stronger as a team, and as a result the Asahi will be a starship we can all be proud of serving on." She looked around, at the eyes looking at her. She was not good at inspirational speeches, but she felt her people skills and technical knowledge made up for it. She hoped it would be the same this time.

"Your name, Lieutanant?", Mi-Na asked the younger officer. She looked at Mi-Na, her superior officer. "I'm Lieutenant Hiyon Ahn, ma'am" she said.

Mi-Na smiled. A Korean, though by her appearance, she could tell she was from the South. "Please report to the bridge, Lieutenant Ahn. You are our second highest in command at Engineering. And, it will be good practice and experience for you to manage us from up there." Hiyon then bowed slightly, and made her way to the bridge.

• Love
Reactions: Lord President Nick
Lauren was an officer, a junior officer, but still an officer. Which means that she would have to report to her commanding officer soon. As a pilot her commanding officer would be the Chief CONN, but first she should also report to the Chief Operations Officer in the shuttlebay. At the moment she was on the twelfth deck in the crew quarters. The shuttlebays were on floors four through to seven. At the fifth floor she would find the entrance to the Main shuttlebay. Despite it being her first time on a starship Lauren figured that she could manage to find her way up seven floors. Not only did she want to report for duty but Lauren was also excited to see her own personal shuttle. Nothing too impressive, just a runabout. Starhowler-class with an array of weapons and defenses. Unfortunately she wouldn't get as much time to pilot it as she would like, only when it was necessary and she was given the order. So she deposited her few belongings in her quarters and went in search of the nearest turbolift.

Kisar heads down to the counselor's quarters. It's strange to think that in a few days, this empty space will be likely filled with the homesick, the lost souls and the lovelorn."

Running his hand over a PADD, he checks to make sure that he hasn't had any scheduled meetings and heads for the real heart of the ship. Stepping into the Turbolift, he waits for the chirp from the computer.

"Deck 11. Upper Forward Lounge."

Lieutenant Ahn made her way quickly to the bridge. She had no idea hours ago that she would be taking the engineering bridge duties, but it was something she had already had training for, many times, so she was ready.

Even if it was her first time on a real, operational starship.

Her heart was pounding madly as she finally reached the bridge. "Lieutanant Ahn, reporting for Engineering", she announced, and walked to her post at the empty console. Once she sat down, she felt... calmer.

Meanwhile, in Engineering, Lieutenant Commander Lee was quietly looking over the section. Randomly looking at both face and machine, trying to get familiar with all that made up Engineering. She was losing herself a bit in the experience, as she was fascinated and found enjoyment in getting to know the section that makes everything on the U.S.S. Asahi run.

Andie was silent in the shuttle ride over. She didn't really want to talk right now. The shuttle driver looked at her.

"So you're the captain huh?"

"Yes I am," she replied softly. She needed to get off here. She didn't want to really answer anymore questions. She didn't want to talk to anyone really. Well right at this second. She knew she had to. She was the captain now. She couldn't be a quiet captain. She was a woman with power now. Arriving at the ship she inhaled a little bit. Alright she could do this.

The shuttle dropped her off in the shuttlebay. She felt weird to be here. It was probably because of her time off. Okay, it was time to continue on. Walking up to the turbolift, Andie paused at it. She needed to meet her crew. Andie couldn't wait honestly. She was excited to meet them. She had looked a little bit over her crew files. It was quite varied. Background wise and race wise. She needed to start on that. Reading the crew files that was and try to begin to associate faces with names at least. Then she'd head to the bridge.

Stepping into the turbolift she cleared her throat, "Deck One."

The turbolift took her to deck one. That's where her quarters would be. Stepping out onto deck one, Andie began to head towards the Captain's quarters from the turbolift. There was a lot to do before take off.

Last edited by a moderator:
"The Capitan has borded" the computer alerted to LtC Separ as requested. "Save score and end program." Separ had been calibrating, test firing, and having some quick target practice in the holo deck since he had arrived.

He had served with this Captain before on the Gryphon, she was in medical then. As he made his way to the turbo lift he anticipated the captain's state of mind would be...on edge. A friendly joke maybe, he thought, would put her at ease.

Separ knew from expiriance that other races didn't take well to a strait faced Volkan trying to tell a joke. He practiced smiling as he walked, getting a cotious glance from a crewmen after he passed.

He stepped into the lift "Bridge". His cheeks hurt, perhaps a smirk is good enough.

Hearing the announcement of the Captain's arrival, Kisar leaves the forward lounge and heads for the Bridge to be there for briefing. He has his PADD for appointments, and a smile on his face.

There have been rumors circulating about the Captain, but he elected to ignore them. He'll find out what she's like when they meet.

Lieutenant Commander Mi-Na Lee was notified of the Captain's arrival on board. She took a deep breath. She had to meet her soon, so may as well get it over with, she thought. Captains in her experience were either very good to the ship and crew, or bad, there was rarely anything that was in between.

"Chief, I'll be meeting with the Captain", she said to the senior engineering chief, as she walked out of engineering and made her way to the bridge, quickly. She walked the deck, once getting out of engineering, at a slower pace. She didn't want to appear hesitant in front of her people, after all, and this was a less public situation for her as a leader.

Jason chuckled, handing her the braid. "No, no. It was my fault. I didn't mean to startle you, Dr. Sh'arsh." he mispronounced her last name for the second time, Caitian name weren't exactly easy to pronunce. "Well, I might as well get it out of the way, right?"

Jay's combadge chirped, "Bridge to Commander Clearwater."

He tapped it. "Go ahead."

"The Captain has boarded and is heading to her quarters."

"Understood. Clearwater out." He tapped his combadge. Straightening his uniform jacket, Jay looked over to the doctor and gave her an apologetic smile. "Sorry, doctor, it looks my physical would have to wait." He said, before leaving sickbay and making his way to the nearest turbolift.​

It was hard not to laugh at the commanders abysmal pronunciation of her surname, but K'riss made a valiant effort.

"I understand it is difficult for human tongues to articulate the syllables of Caitian. Not that I believe in too much familiarity on a starship; and I discourage it while on duty, but you may call me Doctor. Or, if you'd prefer, Dr. K'riss." She clears her throat, fingers expertly finishing the braid laying against the nape of her neck. Almost as an afterthought, she stands from her seat and switches off the data PADD.

"I haven't met the captain, myself. Might I accompany you to the bridge, Commander Clearwater?" At these words, her tail flicks nervously behind her, trapped by the long doctor's coat she is wearing against the cool sickbay temperature. It wraps half-heartedly around her thigh, and her the back of her right hand finds the palm of her left; as she clasps them behind her back. The hybrid Caitian returns the apologetic smile that crinkles the commander's eyes and cocks her head slightly to the side.

"Don't you worry about the physical. We'll...get it out of the way whenever you have time. It's just some routine questions and a general checkup." The commander's aversion to the physical was not lost on K'riss. She might not be the ships counselor, but she knows when someone is uncomfortable being prodded and poked at. An attempt to set him at ease will make her job a whole lot easier.

"Deck 1." Jason said to the computer upon stepping to the turbolift. "So, how are you liking the Asahi, Dr. K'riss? Any problems settling in?" He asked with a tilt of his head, crossing his arms of his chest. Even though this may have seemed as an attempt at small-talk, it was still his duty as First Officer to make sure everyone was settled and comfortable.

That being said, Jay still wasn't very comfortable serving under a Captain his age. But, that didn't mean he wasn't optimistic about the Captain's ability to command. In fact, he looked forward to finding out if Captain Valentine has what it takes to commanding Starfleet's newest toy.

Dr. K'riss was nothing if not pragmatic. She wasn't about to spiel all the insecurities that had been plaguing her since she stepped on the ship to it's first officer; that was her job for the rest of the crew, along with it's counselor.
"Well enough. The temperature is a bit too chilly for me; but it might be better a bit on the colder side. I can't have any patients developing heatstroke, now can I? "
She makes sure to inject a laugh here, to punctuate the lighthearted tone she's trying to pull off. It's been a long time since she's shared such camaraderie with anyone, to be able speak in that manner.
She misses it.
She misses the easy banter of words between friends.

"How about you, Commander? Anything that you want to tell your friendly neighborhood doctor? I saw in your file that you're a bit of a sports enthusiast. Haven't pulled anything have you?" Another chuckle, and K'riss is sure that this joke comes across a bit natural; because it feels natural. She's genuinely concerned for his health of course, but more so for the crease between his eyebrows. Her hands move from her back, to her sides, and then to the front. She holds them still at the base of her abdomen, approximately where she would apply pressure to perform the Heimlich maneuver on a human. Her fingers twiddle and her fingernails slide underneath each other, a habit she's never kicked since her childhood. The turbolift is taking awfully long, isn't it? The space is a little cramped. Not exactly suffocating yet, but she's feeling a bit trapped. Maybe it was just the new ship. The new everything.
She clears her throat a second time.

Status
Not open for further replies.