Star forum access got broken by the update. Here's how to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorick

Magnificent Bastard
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  1. One post per week
  2. Slow As Molasses
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
  3. Prestige
  4. Douche
  5. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
Genres
Fantasy is my #1; I will give almost anything a chance if it has strong fantasy elements. Post apocalyptic, superhero, alternate history, science fantasy, some supernatural, romance, and a few fandoms (especially Game of Thrones) are also likely to catch my eye.
Oh, the joys of major updates.

So, long story short, forums use things called usergroups to manage access to different sections of the forum. They're like invisible markers on your account that say you're allowed to be in that area. The XenForo 2.0 update wiped out the usergroups based on age. Those were the ones we used to make sure only teens got into Bluestar and only adults got into Redstar. Kind of a big problem, right?

Well it gets better/worse. We can't just add those back easily. Changes with the update made it so the previously used methods to give everyone usergroups based on their date of birth just doesn't work, and we can't find an addon that will make it possible. That means we're going to have to do it manually. Or rather, everyone who wants to have access to the proper Star forum will have to send in a form asking for that access, and then we'll go back over the requests and make sure nobody chose the wrong group. Which brings me to the scary part of this announcement:

If you choose the wrong group it will be effectively the same as lying about your age to get access to the wrong age group's smut zone, and we will ban you for it.

So do be careful when clicking the links below. Filling out the form will automatically grant you the usergroup that will allow you to access the appropriate Star area. If you make a mistake, send in a report about it immediately or we will assume you are intentionally breaking the rules. This is a serious matter with grave legal repercussions, so we cannot afford to take violations lightly.

Special note for teen members: this also means that your age usergroup will not be automatically updated when you turn 18. If by then we have not worked out an automatic solution, kindly contact us via this form and let us know that this is the reason for submission and we will get it taken care of for you.

If you are 18 or older, use this form to get access to Redstar forums.

If you are under 18 years old, use this form to get access to Bluestar forums.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am old as F so this doesn't really concern me, but what if a person is like 17 and has on going RPs with people who are like 13, 14, 15, 16, (13 is the minimum age here right?), shouldn't there be like a gray star corner for those people to continue their RPs cause sometimes and RP lasts a long while... and the other RP partners will also age into adulthood with time, I know this issue are complicated cause RPs sometimes involve sex and it's not ok for a 13 year old to be talking with a 18 year old in very explicit RPs, but actually the law does give a 4 year difference pardon, so 13+18 is wrong, but 14+18 is acceptable, meaning that 13 and 17 can RP in blue star, but once 17 turns 18 it's just a matter of months before 13 turns 14 and they can "legally" RP again...

I really don't know how this should work - but I thought I should throw the issue here so you guys can figure it old.

It's not really my issue cause I am way older than that, but I was 17 once and I can see this being an annoying issue for some members.

• Useful
Reactions: Astroblaze
what if i wanna hide them both

I am old as F so this doesn't really concern me, but what if a person is like 17 and has on going RPs with people who are like 13, 14, 15, 16, (13 is the minimum age here right?), shouldn't there be like a gray star corner for those people to continue their RPs cause sometimes and RP lasts a long while... and the other RP partners will also age into adulthood with time, I know this issue are complicated cause RPs sometimes involve sex and it's not ok for a 13 year old to be talking with a 18 year old in very explicit RPs, but actually the law does give a 4 year difference pardon, so 13+18 is wrong, but 14+18 is acceptable, meaning that 13 and 17 can RP in blue star, but once 17 turns 18 it's just a matter of months before 13 turns 14 and they can "legally" RP again...

I really don't know how this should work - but I thought I should throw the issue here so you guys can figure it old.

It's not really my issue cause I am way older than that, but I was 17 once and I can see this being an annoying issue for some members.
Our policy on that matter has always been that they cannot continue those roleplays until the younger partner also turns 18. It sucks, but it's a matter of serious legal liability and that is the only way around it.

Legally speaking, those so-called Romeo and Juliet laws for couples who were together when one reached the age of consent/majority are actually not a standard feature of US law. It differs greatly from state to state: some states don't have any at all and the ones that do have differing age gaps they allow. To be on the safe side, we stick to the federal age of consent (18) as a hard wall and give no wiggle room.

what if i wanna hide them both
Click your name in the upper right, go to Preferences, go down to the Zero Star Content listing, click the checkbox that says 'Turn off Star Bedroom Content', and then hit save at the bottom.

No, we won't be doing that, because for one thing the laws we have to go by are federal US laws. Technically sharing written content is not illegal at all, but for safety reasons and grey-area legalities about what is RP and what is cybering, we have the split at 18. For more details you can read this resource.

Question - Do people who have re-entered the star access forms get a marker showing they are a redstar/bluestar? Or is that a thing that's still being worked on? Wonderful job on the site btw, it's so sleeeeek <3

Question - Do people who have re-entered the star access forms get a marker showing they are a redstar/bluestar? Or is that a thing that's still being worked on? Wonderful job on the site btw, it's so sleeeeek <3
Still being worked on! It's pretty high on the list of priorities though, so hopefully it'll be done before the end of this week.

Part of me wants to make a horrid joke, but I also figure it won't go well.

Is it a problem if I don't give enough of a stuff to fill out the form for now? I'm not active in the Star forum, so meh.

Is it a problem if I don't give enough of a stuff to fill out the form for now? I'm not active in the Star forum, so meh.
No, that's fine. You can choose not to fill out a form at all. The only thing is that this means you will not have an icon indicating your age group.

Hi I am unable to access my rp. Its a red room so I wanted to just confirm i am above 18 years old.

Hi I am unable to access my rp. Its a red room so I wanted to just confirm i am above 18 years old.
It mentions in the first post of the thread how to get access to the star sections again :]

Quick question, would this possible affect requests for thread moderation to move a thread back to the Red Star Bedroom?

Quick question, would this possible affect requests for thread moderation to move a thread back to the Red Star Bedroom?
Yes! If the member requesting the thread to be moved isn't marked as redstar, we won't be moving it to that section.

EDIT: PLS SEE KITTI'S POST BELOW THANK

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Draugvan
Yes! If the member requesting the thread to be moved isn't marked as redstar, we won't be moving it to that section.
NEW PLAN, not this!
We're going to move it by request and point you in the right direction to get star access back.

• Thank You
Reactions: Pahn
Upon reading the BlueStar form:

"These sections are for adult members of 18 years or older. But submitting this form, you are promising you are an adult. If you are 18 OR OLDER please use the RED STAR access form!"

And comparing that to the RedStar form:

"These sections are for adult members of 18 years or older. But submitting this form, you are promising you are an adult. If you are UNDER 18 please use the BLUE STAR access form!"

I understand that BlueStar are meant for teens and RedStars are adults, but the wording in the BlueStar form caught me off guard. By saying, "These sections are for adult members of 18 years or older" for both forms seems to indicate that even BlueStars need to be adults?

Did I read this wrong?

Upon reading the BlueStar form:

"These sections are for adult members of 18 years or older. But submitting this form, you are promising you are an adult. If you are 18 OR OLDER please use the RED STAR access form!"

And comparing that to the RedStar form:

"These sections are for adult members of 18 years or older. But submitting this form, you are promising you are an adult. If you are UNDER 18 please use the BLUE STAR access form!"

I understand that BlueStar are meant for teens and RedStars are adults, but the wording in the BlueStar form caught me off guard. By saying, "These sections are for adult members of 18 years or older" for both forms seems to indicate that even BlueStars need to be adults?

Did I read this wrong?
Haha, it looks like the text was copied from the redstar one and that tweak didn't get made. I changed it now!
Bluestar is for our under 18 members.

• Thank You
Reactions: Nim and 2RAD4u
Everyone please be sure to read the forms before filling them out and make sure you're sending the right one! Just a reminder :)

Reactions: Waffur
Psst, hey, are the red and blue star forums fixed yet? Also, I wanted to ask something. I'm only 9 days away from being an adult, so am I still restricted to the blue star for the whole 9 days or could I get into the redstar forums to post a thread?

Psst, hey, are the red and blue star forums fixed yet? Also, I wanted to ask something. I'm only 9 days away from being an adult, so am I still restricted to the blue star for the whole 9 days or could I get into the redstar forums to post a thread?
They're not fixed, we're still trying to find an addon that could work with the system to deliver what we want and haven't found a reputable one yet. The problem is that the function isn't broken - for whatever dumb reason, Xenforo took the age sorting thing out of the base software, it seems.

As a general rule for these forms: if you submit a form that doesn't match with what your birthday is, you will be banned.

If you want to wait until your birthday to submit the form then, you can. You can subit the bluestar one first if you have urgent rp needs that you can start and wrap up in 9 days as well. I wish we had a better system for handling people that turn 18 while it's like this but the best option right now for those who turn 18 while the system doesn't auto-upgrade is to message one of the admin and we'll get you sorted.

• Useful
Reactions: Astroblaze
Status
Not open for further replies.