3. One post per week
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Urban Fantasy, High Fantasy, Epic Quest, Sci-Fi, Time Travel and World Hopping, Steampunk, Action/Adventure, Modern Drama, Mystery, Slice of Life, Romance, and many more.
I get off on a technicality; one of my upper lobe piercings has a green bead ;P

Yes, Olive green comfy t-shirt and a long emerald green mermaid cut skirt

:D

If I pick my nose and wipe it on my shirt, does that count?

I'm afraid I did not celebrate St. Paddy's day. I am neither Irish nor a Christian, so I did not wear green, pinch others, or partake in any sort of celebration as the holiday holds no relevance to me in any capacity. Besides, in my opinion, it's been reduced to a cheap excuse for everyone to put on ridiculous "Kiss Me, I'm Irish!" paraphernalia or any variation thereof and drink themselves into an alcohol-induced coma.

>spoilsport

Not Christian, no confirmed* Irish blood, but I like holidays that are an excuse to wear my favorite color, drink to excess, and encourage pinching/PDA.

*my mom, however, is a short ginger who blended in PERFECTLY in Dublin. As my 100% Irish uncle says, either we lost the records of Irish blood, or "som'n in your family's a lyin' whore".

Technically speaking The Irish in general celebrating Saint Patrick's Day was just an excuse to drink for them in the first place. However given my tiny amount of Irish blood and the fact that my favorite color is green. I did in fact wear it and well I always have emerald earrings in anyways, lol.

@Santario that's actually not true. In fact, until 1970, St. Patrick's Day was a religious holiday in Ireland, and thus the purchase of alcohol was illegal on this day. In 1970, it was legally changed from a religious day to a national holiday, so now bars and pubs are open on the 17th. Also, as it is celebrated today, it's not in fact an Irish-born holiday at all.

The celebration of St. Patrick's day as anything but a Catholic feast day came about in the mid-19 century when many Irish immigrated into the US to escape famine. If you don't know your US History, many Irish people in America during that time were bigger pariahs than black people. They were discriminated against, they were not allowed to work, and most of them lived in slums. So, in order to show their pride in their country, the American-Irish banded together and created a political party to fight for the rights of new Irish immigrants. St. Patrick's Day grew from the political party as a means for them to show Americans how powerful they were both in numbers and in politics. Clearly, it didn't work as a political scheme (since we still operate on a 2-party system), but the tradition remained.

The more you know.

Reactions: Santario
I was kinda being facetious, lol, I also do know about most of the persecution the Irish went through though not in America but mostly and still mostly in their own country. The Irish in their own country are still having hate crimes against them because of their religious choices and many of those hate crimes still resulting in death. Though no I am not big on American history since I didn't learn it from an American stand point or in an American school. So thank you for the small history lesson I always enjoy learning.

Seriously, American history isn't all that great. It's basically just hundreds of years of gilded irony: a bunch of bigotry and oppression hiding in the "land of the free and home of the brave." Don't get me wrong. I love my country. But we're stupid if we go around thinking we're the good guys.

My husband says the same thing. He is also a huge patriot for the country and don't get me wrong I love both of my countries, but both of them wrongfully glorify their history but thus is the prize of the winner of history.

Status
Not open for further replies.