Spyridon Stathis Boarding School for Demigods

LOL oh man two guys with ice this will be interesting since my main domain is the very last layer of hell wich is frozen, im looking forward to this.

Hey there, just wanted to let you know that I'm interested in joining, however I'm not quite done with my character yet. Seeing this thread last night is actually what got me to join Iwaku in the first place, seems like a really interesting idea. I'll post my character as soon as he's done.

Okay, great! I'll let you know now that I won't be able to get on as often as I would like, and will have to join the thread later, but I do have a co-GM who will help out ^^

Glad to have you join!

Abraham "Abe" Anderson
Year: Junior
Godly Mother/Father: Andhrimnir, Cook of the Aesir
Culture: Norse
What makes him different?: Abe is abnormally large and posses superhuman strength and constitution, as well as an instinctual aptitude for cooking.
Appearance: With short, messy light brown hair, dark blue eyes and a rough, rugged face with
a somewhat squared jaw covered in stubble, Abe's appearance is ruggedly handsome and generally unremarkable, except for his size. His Aesir blood has helped Abe to grow into a veritable giant, standing just under eight feet tall and weighing around three hundred pounds. He's well-muscled, but not quite to the point of hardness. Abe generally wears simple faded blue jeans and tee shirts featuring various classic bands such as Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, Guns 'n' Roses, etc., always with a silver valknut medallion underneath, hanging from a leather loop around his neck.
Personality: Abe has always been loud and boisterous enough to draw the ire of everyone around him, which would be the case if not for his atmosphere of near-constant friendliness. Abe is highly outgoing and has a habit of acting on a whim without thinking things through, which leads to a lot of conversations with strangers. More than anything, Abe enjoys entertaining people and feels the most fulfillment from making someone smile. Despite his intimidating size, Abe is generally a very gentle person and despises the use of violence.
History: Nobody is quite sure how Abe was conceived. The only records of his biological mother were those of the hospital he was born in, and where she stayed after falling ill from birthing him until she died two weeks later.
For the first two years of his life Abe was raised in an orphanage, before being adopted by Susan Anderson, a widow of 30. She raised Abe as her own child and he had a genuinely happy childhood. The young demigod was raised to value kindness and friendliness, to avoid violence and live honorably. Abe loved his mother with all his heart
and lived happily and normally until he reached adolescence. He had always been bigger than other children his age, but when puberty hit Abe's differences became fully apparent. He found he was much stronger and tougher than most, at a nearly superhuman level by the age of 14. When these oddities could no longer be ignored, Susan revealed to Abe that he had in fact been adopted and that she knew nothing about his life prior to becoming his guardian. She also gave him a silver medallion, which told him was the only thing he owned when he was adopted, apparently given to him at his mothers' urging during her final days. Abe took the news surprisingly well, he still considered Susan his mother seeing as she went through the trouble of raising him. The medallion intrigued him and he began researching what it could mean. He soon found out that is was a symbol called a 'valknut' and part of Norse mythology. This was when Abe began to suspect that he may have some part in Norse mythology and began learning all he could about it. Abe continued his 'normal' life for years, doing his best to hide what made him different. However, when he was about halfway through his freshman year at the local public high school tragedy struck. While she was driving home from work, another vehicle struck Susan's car from the driver side, killing her instantly. The driver was apparently drunk and walked away unaffected except for a weighty fine. Abe inherited everything Susan had, which included roughly $5,000 in savings, cheap household appliances, kitchenware, and a small apartment which he couldn't legally continue to rent. Abe was taken in by the family of one of his friends from school for a time, living in their basement. It was during this time that Abe began to cook for himself and discovered a surprising aptitude at the culinary arts. He was of course crushed by grief. However, Abe felt it was his duty to hide his despondence for the benefit of his friends, and he soon became louder and rowdier than ever, in an attempt to keep depression at bay. Sadly, a public high school is not a good place for someone to bring too much attention to themselves, and Abe was soon made a target for many various forms of harassment. Though he never responded to the aggression in kind, Abe was still forced into a few fights which he was hard-pressed to lose, seeing as even the strongest of hits from the mortal bullies failed to phase him. As a result, Abe was labeled as a trouble-maker and expelled. He went through five public high schools in this way, though he was only genuinely angered once (This happened when a less creative antagonist could only think of insulting Abe's mother. The boy woke up in a hospital weeks later to find his tongue was no longer present in his mouth.) After a year long stint in juvenile detention, Abe began to research possible private schools to finish his education. While doing such research, Abe found out about Spyridon Stathis and applied immediately.

Could I make a suggestion? Instead of sword fighting class, could we have ability aptitude class. And sword fighting could be a p.e. activity from time to time. I was thinking it would be cooler that way. That way everyone could learn about their abilities in school.

Well. The problem I see with that is the fact that everyone's abilities are very complex. There are MANY, MANY gods and goddesses out there to the point where some people might be an only child whereas others would have tons of siblings. Such as the girls of Aphrodite, there's many of them, or at least I would assume so. When there's gods that aren't as powerful, mighty, or popular, they could only have a single child. Leaving themselves to train amongst themselves. But, do you mean a class where they would practice their powers or a class where they would be taught? In my opinion, it's the person that teaches themselves on what they have to control.

Another thing, we should create a schedule. It would be much easier.

Such as English first block, mathematics second block, etc.

That does seem like a cool idea. Kind of like a study hall, but with godly powers. However I'm not really sure what my character would do there, his powers are pretty much limited to lifting stuff and taking hits like a brick wall.

It could be where once or twice a week there would be a private study session that they could train in :D

I would suspect that there would be archery ranges and such around campus where people can freely go to if they have free time. That's just my thinking though.

As for the powers of the demi-gods, they could have special areas reserved for them by their God/Goddess.

Hey, I have a few questions about the living arrangements, seeing as it's a boarding school and all. What are the rooms like, size, utilities, etc. and are the rooms private or are there going to be room-mates?

The rooms are private due to the small amount of students, each has its own en suite bathroom, a chest of drawers, a closet, a bed, a two-shelf bookshelf, a desk w/chair, and a love seat to the right of the bookshelf. Of course, if the students chose to, they could bring their own things, like a portable television, iPod, laptop, etc. As for size, each room is about 15x17. And of course there are common rooms, where there are telephones, television, computers, etc.

I assume the bathrooms would have showers and such?

Yes. And the dimensions don't include the bathroom or the closet.

Also, where is the school located? In a city or out in the country?

It is located in the country, in S. Dakota. Every couple of weeks, however, if one has permission from a parent, the school goes on a trip to the city, like to see a movie or go to a museum.

Big question. Is there a grade school version for demigods? The reason I ask is cause in a pm, beauty states his character bell knows everything for the assignment. He said it was 5th grade stuff that you learn of every God and culture. I don't want to start trouble or anything. But the assignment is supposed to be one of your culture and God while the other from another culture. Which is why Levi said ask a fellow student.

Um. This IS a highschool/boarding school. Most likely, everyone would have gone to elementary school or Public school. I would imagine that people would have full knowledge of Gods and stuff.

Elementary definitely does not teach kids about the gods in that sense. None of their background or anything. But its whatever. The assignment was meant for characters to socialize. As all first days tend to do. This was meant in a more discreet way.